Crayton Is Eligible

According to General Manager Dave Kasper, the final paperwork on Louis Crayton's move to D.C. United from FC Basel is complete, which means the Liberian goalkeeper will be eligible to play in tomorrow night's league match at Chicago. Crayton began training with United on Monday. Still awaiting word on the roster move that allows Crayton to join the senior roster. United must trade or waive a player, demote someone to the developmental roster, or move a player to the season-ending injury list. (Ben Olsen, Domenic Mediate and Francis Doe are currently sidelined).

Would you like to see Crayton in the starting lineup right away, or would it be wiser to give more time with the team and insert him next Wednesday at New England or next Saturday at home against Colorado?

By Steve Goff  |  August 15, 2008; 12:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Cooper, Pros and Cons

Comments

Let him train a few more days, then give him some home cookin' against the (c)Rapids.

But who am I?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 15, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I see no reason to throw him out there immediately. Let him settle.

Posted by: JkR | August 15, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree with everything the first two commenters said.

Posted by: B.A. | August 15, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

He was our mini-golf partner this week and the guy is hilarious.
I think he should get a little more time, and I agree that a RFK start would be best.

Posted by: jgildea | August 15, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Letting him settle in makes sense as far as he's concerned....but what about the effect on Zach? Will be play shakier with a heavyweight GK in the wings, or will he step it up? Only the coaching staff will (should?) know...

Posted by: 22206 | August 15, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

An uncomfortable, uneasy Crayton still has to be better than Wells. Wells still looks uncomfortable and uneasy and he's been playing since March.

Posted by: Nick | August 15, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"you are crazy to let me start another game"

Posted by: wells | August 15, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"you are crazy to let me start another game"

Posted by: wells | August 15, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

For Christ sake put Crayton in!!

Posted by: DC Fan | August 15, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I wounldn't start him right off the bat, he needs some time with his teammates and this is what,? not even his first week w/ the team? Throwing him into the New England game isn't a good idea either b/c of the field turf, remember Carvallo's performance on Salt Lake's turf? Wait until the 23rd, and if hes meshed w/ the team, start him and have Wells shaking in his boots.

Posted by: springfield | August 15, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Knowing Soehn, Crayton will end up starting his first match AWAY from RFK on that crummy FieldTurf of Gillette.

Posted by: Redd | August 15, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I thought we wanted to get in the playoffs. What are losses to the top teams going to do to that. Start him. Did we bring him in to sit on the bench and watch us lose two games in a row?

Posted by: dr | August 15, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Doe's Toes are not expected to keep him out for too much longer are they?

Posted by: jgildea | August 15, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Its the end of August already! Get him in there!!

Posted by: J | August 15, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

starting him sends a message to wells. send the message

Posted by: steve-o | August 15, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

crayton's resume is not impressive, why is he here anyway?

Posted by: Atl | August 15, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Dont kill his confidence!

Play him on natural grass at RFK where we play are best ball.

Posted by: Sysco76 | August 15, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea how he has trained.

If he has trained better than Wells, start him.

If he has trained worse than Wells, let him settle.

Posted by: strago | August 15, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Let him sit till the Rapids come to town.

Posted by: Troy G | August 15, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea how he has trained.

If he has trained better than Wells, start him.

If he has trained worse than Wells, let him settle.

Posted by: strago | August 15, 2008 12:47 PM
-----------------------

Stop Making Sense.

Posted by: Jonathan Demme | August 15, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Doe has had the toe problem two years. Put him on the season ending. I personally would rather have Benny and Dominic stay on the roster. I hope Crayton does a good job. I was a Well's supporter from the work he did with Houston. Something is different in his play here. He might be better if he comes in as a sub. He was at Houston. If I were going to give Crayton a go, I think I would do it either Chicago or Colorado. I wouldn't do it NE.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 15, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing there's a reserve match in there sometime before the Colorado game. If so, let him get some reserve time to get the feel and gain some confidence. After that, if it all checks out, I'd hope it would be all Crayton all the time.

Posted by: Crippled Keeper | August 15, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

he's had a whole week training with the team. Get him out there. If the reports about him commanding the box are true let's see it in action.

Is there a prediction on the number of red cards for tomorrow's game?

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Why not just play with 12 men on the field? Goalkeepers are overrated.

Posted by: Hope Scurry | August 15, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Doe Toe No Go

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

no, i believe that sohen has been very clear that 'ten players and a goalie' is his preferred formation.

Posted by: stairs | August 15, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

what about McBride? is he going to be back from China and ready to go for Chicago? second half sub?

Posted by: pat | August 15, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

What about McBride? Is he going to be back from China and ready to play for Chicago? come on as a second half sub?

Posted by: pat | August 15, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

put

him

in.

it can't be any worse than Wells. What do we have to lose? We need to make a push NOW if we want to make the playoffs.

Posted by: elcapitan | August 15, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

The Colorado game would seem to make the most sense for Crayton's first game.

Posted by: Oliver | August 15, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pat | August 15, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Listen, Wells does not control his area well and makes poor decision about coming off his line... making it very difficult for DCU to avoid defeat against a high quality Chicago team. I would put Crayton straight in, there is very little downside risk and a lot of upside.

Posted by: DCU in Sao Paulo | August 15, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Listen- Wells does not control his area well, and makes poor decisions about coming off his line. Chicago is a quality team that will take advantage of that weakness. Put Crayton in, the downside risk is small,the upside could give you a substantial improvment in the defense.

Posted by: DCU in Sao Paulo | August 15, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCU in Sao Paulo | August 15, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Start him immediately. If not at GK, then at A-mid. If not there, then at central-D. If not there, then at right wing. If not there, then at head coach. There. I believe I have covered all the disputed positions.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

You guys will be screaming to put him in by halftime tomorrow night.

Posted by: Nostradamus | August 15, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

You guys will be screaming to put him in by halftime tomorrow night.

Posted by: Nostradamus | August 15, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

- I-270, Exit 1

OK. When did the Washington start censoring?

Your comment submission failed for the following reasons:

Too many comments have been submitted from you in a short period of time. Please try again in a short while.

Return to the original entry.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

You guys will be screaming to put him in by halftime tomorrow night.

Posted by: Nostradamus | August 15, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

y Gallardo? Did he travel with the team?

Posted by: Muñeco | August 15, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Y Gallardo? Did he travel with the team?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

y Gallardo? Did he travel with the team?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Wells has been an anchor all season. Crayton can't be any worse. Roll the dice.

Posted by: Matte | August 15, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I think Wells has had a couple of performances recently that are deserving of a starting role on this team. We knew that we were investing in a rookie keeper, added to a reconfigured new back line, is it no surprise that Wells has struggled starting out? To get the most out of this situation, we need to make Crayton earn his way into a staring role, and continue to allow Wells to develop, which he will.
Let's take some notes from the Jason Campbell situation.

Posted by: StadiumDesigner | August 15, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

We finally get a new keeper and there is a discussion regarding when to use him??? Now is clearly the time - Wells is terrible and is doing damage in many ways. I am pretty sure he is some how involved with the USA sitting in second place in the overall medal count at the Olympics. I was thinking that management could hold open tryouts in the parking lot before the next game to choose a backup and sever ties with Mr. Floppy Pants (wells).

Posted by: finally | August 15, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: finally | August 15, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

right away please

Posted by: grumpy | August 15, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

right away please ... worst case he won't get a shut out

Posted by: grumpy | August 15, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

""I see no reason to throw him out there immediately.""

Really?!?

Hint . . . Rhymes with Sack Bells . . . has a 1.65 goals against average and despite being 6' 2" plays like he's afraid of being touched and dirtying his uniform

Posted by: delantero | August 15, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"I see no reason to throw him out there immediately. Let him settle.

Really?

How about rhymes with Sack Bells, has a 1.65 GAA, and despite being 6' 2' plays like he's afraid of getting hurt

Posted by: delantero | August 15, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

It might not be a bad idea to put him in against the rapids, but I wouldn't put him in any sooner. Obviously I would only want him in there if he does well in training and in the reserve matches. I'm going to trust the DCU staff to make the right decision on this one ;)

Posted by: GoUnited | August 15, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoUnited | August 15, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

if he has shown this week he is better than wells let him play

Posted by: chris | August 15, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

What have we got to lose but 3 points? If TS thinks he is ready then play him.

Posted by: JMR | August 15, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

What have we got to lose but 3 points? If TS thinks he is ready then play him.

Posted by: JMR | August 15, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I say start him, we already messed up the chance at developing a young, fresh, hungry 22yr old keeper who has already a cap for his respected NT, lets give Crayton a shot, at home, he really cant be worst than wells, even though wells has gotten better since he came, he is still not good. That says alot!

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | August 15, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I think we shoudl start Crayton, because look, we already lost the chance at developing a young, fresh,hungry 22yr old keeper into a good starter for us who already has a 1 cap for his NT at his young age.

Lets throw Crayton in there, he's got international experience, and seems to have more 'huevos' than wells to do better in the MLS!

Start him!!

P.S. Goff, do you know Leslie Sogandares?

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | August 15, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Start him!!

P.S. Goff, do you know Leslie Sogandares?

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | August 15, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Start him!!

P.S. Goff, do you know Leslie Sogandares?

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | August 15, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Crayton now!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

type in louis crayton on youtube...theres an interview and they show some of his saves...much better then wells...why wait...

Posted by: fan | August 15, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

y Gallardo? Did he travel with the team?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Goff: for me, at least. the Comment Thread and Pemalink on your KC post are not working, I get a 'page not found"

Posted by: northzax | August 15, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Off-topic, but Goff, did you see that Ngwenya got signed to Bayern Munich, and then immediately loaned out to a Turkish club? Crazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antalyaspor lists him in the squad
http://antalyaspor.com.tr/v2/index.p...e/141/141.html and there he is, 2nd from right.

Posted by: Nick | August 15, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Can't be any worse than Wells. The season rises or falls on this signing. Put him in.

Posted by: Matte | August 15, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

testing, testing....1,2,3

is this mike on?

Posted by: dj | August 15, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready for Crayton. Bring him in please!

Posted by: jva | August 15, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Bah, I'm all for a 4-5-2 with no Keeper.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 15, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

What happened to that Kenny Cooper blog?

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Don't start him this game I won't be able to watch. Wait till the next one.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

If I remember correctly, Goff reported that he was from the Swiss 2nd division.
I hope he never starts. It was my impression he wasn't coming in to replace Wells, but serve as a replacement for Wells' back-up, Carvallo.
I would be very concerned, actually horrified, if a Swiss second division keeper becomes our starter.

Posted by: Gburg | August 15, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

play whoever can best help DCU win.

Posted by: JSF | August 15, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

strago:

Thank you for restoring my faith in internet users.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 15, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

FC Basel is about to qualify for the champions league proper and crayton is about to be in the concacaf champions league...i hope he got a raise..

Posted by: mizage | August 15, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Does's supposes his toes are roses
But Does's supposes Erroneously,
Does's he knowses his toeses aren't roses,
As Does's supposes his toeses to be!

Posted by: owendylan | August 15, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Sweet interview with Crayton. Although it's mostly in German, it has some clips of a few nice saves that Zach Wells could only DREAM of making.

Posted by: Andy | August 16, 2008 4:19 AM | Report abuse