DCU Injury Update

Coach Tom Soehn said the club has not yet decided whether Marcelo Gallardo, rehabbing from sports hernia surgery, will travel to Chicago tomorrow for Saturday's match against the Fire.

"It's still a long process," Soehn said. "It has taken longer than we had hoped."

Meantime, defender Gonzalo Peralta, who just returned from the same surgery to play 90 minutes against New England on Tuesday, has a hamstring injury and is questionable, Soehn said.

The club is awaiting final documents to be approved before formally announcing goalkeeper Louis Crayton's signing. He might end up travelling to Chicago regardless, and if everything is finalized, be added to the active roster. His arrival also means the club will have to make room on the senior roster by trading or waiving a player, dropping someone to developmental status or placing Ben Olsen (ankle) or Domenic Mediate (concussion) on the season-ending injury list. My hunch is that the last option will be exercised.

By Steve Goff  |  August 14, 2008; 12:39 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Show Us the Money!
Next: Where Is Benny Headed?

Comments

Hey Goff,
Question: what was the purpose of waiving Barlow? Did that create a space on the developmental roster - meaning DCU could downgrade a senior roster player (umm, like Dyachenko)?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Damn, i guess maybe its Gallardo's age that is slowing him down on healing, and i hope we get to see Crayton ahve some time maybe vs. chicago, although i doubt it as it might to turn out to be a very close game.

And "el zurdo" rojas only 94k a year??? Is that for real? Or some kind of joke? I'd trade him for fred in a heart beat right now!

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | August 14, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, not quite the positive August on the injury front I was really hoping for.

Posted by: Kev | August 14, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

All I was told about Barlow was that it wasn't working out. I don't believe it's related to any possible roster shifts when Crayton arrives. I could be wrong. We'll find out soon enough.

Nonetheless, I will amend the original posting to include that possibility. Thanks!

Posted by: Goff | August 14, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Dang, sounds like Dom is on the Josh Gros route to early retirement... :-(

Posted by: EdTheRed | August 14, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Number of lives some living things have...

Human = 1
Cat = 9
Dyachenko = 999999999999E99999999999999999

Posted by: Kosh | August 14, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

No chat this week, Goff?

Posted by: marksman | August 14, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Dang, sounds like Dom is on the Josh Gros route to early retirement... :-(

Posted by: EdTheRed | August 14, 2008 1:04 PM

Seriously. (Th)Ugo Ihemlu breaks his leg in a vicious tackle that ends his season and now this never-ending concussion.

Posted by: Colm | August 14, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong -- I'm a new(er) fan and didn't follow the Josh Gros Concussion Timeline -- but I wonder if they had given him more time to recover (it seemed like he was put back on the field before his brain was ready), he may still be playing.

(Just guessing here.)

Posted by: stuckintraffic | August 14, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

another bum hammy? does anyone stretch on this team?

Posted by: northzax | August 14, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone really knows.
Easy to guess that, but no real proof to back it up. He may have just been a guy that was NOT going to recover from a concussion.
The sports world learns more and more every year.

Posted by: marksman | August 14, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

The United beat writer calls the Nats woeful in the same post in which he asks for the anger and bitterness to stop???

Posted by: PB | August 14, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

The Nats are woeful based on their record.

You can't argue that.

If you do - you might as well argue that President Bush's approval rating isn't woeful.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | August 14, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

PB...

Goff clarified his original statement. The justification to most everyone on this board is 100% in line with both the truth and what we have come to expect from our beloved SI.

Secondly, this is a soccer forum, if the sole point of your repeated posts is to continue to gripe about what Mr. Goff has already clarified and not at all soccer related, please do not post anymore.

Goff, if this continues, is there a way to block IP addresses?

Posted by: JonInVB | August 14, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

TROLL THREAD JUMP!!!

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.

Posted by: LW | August 14, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

That's terrible news about Peralta's hammy. He was excellent Tuesday. I don't look forward to playing Chicago without him. I had mixed feelings about him before he had the surgery, but then quickly realized how much he was missed.

And on another subject, I hope Dyachenko stays and prospers. He isn't nearly as bad as some posters make him out to be. There is a reason Tommy keeps putting him out there.

Posted by: Hedbal | August 14, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Is Blanco playing on Saturday? I know that he is on the list of players to play against Honduras on Wed.

Posted by: dcchilidog | August 14, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Calling a baseball world champion is beyond clueless talk as this sport is ONLY play in very limited countries with a minimum visivilities.
I think we should let PB continue post here because it's good for the blog entry But you don't have to rea pb's comment and let pb write as long as wishes.

If Gallardo was already warming at the Rev's game he should be nearing to return. Perhaps Tommy keeps it silent for the Fire until the last minute.

Posted by: td | August 14, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Totally random note: watching Villa thump an Icelandic part-time club in the UEFA Cup...

- Friedel's first competitive match for Villa
- The Icelandic club is named Fimleikafélag Hafnarfjarðar - wow
- and their supporters are playing/singing Rock and Roll Part II.

Might be the weirdest 10 minutes of Setanta viewing I've encountered.

Posted by: Kev | August 14, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hedbal | August 14, 2008 1:55 PM

Yes there is a reason, as a matter of fact...it's the same reason why TS keeps playing Wells, there's no one else to put in the game. Once the whole squad is healthy will you then start to appreciate how far away Dyachenko is from seeing the field. I am not one to beat up on Dyachenko, but he brings nothing to our side on game day (can't speak to practices as I am not there) but game day, he comes in and not much positive follows. He's just not good enough. Sorry.

Posted by: Kosh | August 14, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I wish I could make it out the Bridgeview for this game. I hope it's as good as our last trip there and that there are 3 points headed back to the district - we need them.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | August 14, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what impact Gallardo has on the morale of the team. He earns 31 times more than Clyde Simms. Even when healthy I doubt it was a good investment. Why, it even makes Dyanchenko at 2 percent of Gallardo's salary look good.

Posted by: ML | August 14, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Kev,

Perhaps they are singing R&R Part II in honor of the great Gary Glitter who was just released from a Vietnamese prison!

Here is the link:

Posted by: JonInVB | August 14, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Feilhaber to the Revs - ouch for DCU and the rest of the East.

Revs are looking to be might strong contenders for CONCACAF.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | August 14, 2008 2:02 PM

td,

I believe the title of "world champion" comes from the company (World) who sponsored it sometime in the early 20th century. So in that regard, it's not that different from the Barclay's Premiership, but for whatever reason, the name stuck while the company disappeared.

Posted by: AJ | August 14, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@ ML,

Where did I hear that before? Hmm. Oh yeah, it was the same stuff that was being said about an injured Beckham last year. Becks gets healthy the Gals start scoring some goals. Lot's of goals.

Or let me put it this way...
"I wonder what the morale is at Old Trafford now that Ronaldo is out injured and he makes so much money and United had a slow pre-season." DISCLAIMER: Gallardo is no Ronaldo, that is not my point with that statement.

Bottom line, an injured player (regardless of who they are) cannot just up and make any team better.

Posted by: Kosh | August 14, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AJ | August 14, 2008 2:17 PM

Close, but not really. The term World Series apparently had a connection to The New York World newspaper - this theory has actually been disproved. So really there is no evidence of the paper's involvement in the use of World Series - and definitely no connection to baseball's ongoing usage of "World Champions"

Posted by: Kev | August 14, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I just don't get the number of pulled muscles and sports hernias this team gets. Is this typical and only made worse by the woeful lack of depth on the squad? Or is DCU just unlucky, either in the odds or in its choice of a trainer?

Posted by: griffin1108 | August 14, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Ouch, my bad on the possessive "lot" OR I can pass my mistake off as my referencing that Biblical dude. Anyone buying that? Huh? Huh?

Posted by: Kosh | August 14, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

If Olsen were to be placed on the season-ending injury list, how would that impact his ability to assist the team in other ways? We have seen him travel with the team while injured and perform morale-building and semi-coaching duties. Would a "season-ending injury" officially keep him off the travel roster or off the sidelines according to MLS rules? Would United have some flexibility with his role? Would they consider giving him other official duties? It would certainly be a disappointment to fans to lose the other benefits he brings to the team.

Posted by: UnitedFanInTX | August 14, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Goff, Can you tell us anything about the whole Feilhaber to MLS, possible with the Revoulution..
Steve Nicol is one wizard with negotiating.

Posted by: Spartan | August 14, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

as for BennyF, while a move to New England could be very good for his playing ability (who's sitting again? Ralston or Joseph?) and time, I would be leery of signing a three year deal, if I were him, given the Twellman/Joseph realities. the Revs seem to actually want to hold players to contracts, unlike the rest of the soccer world which usually lets a player leave, if he wants to and can come to an agreement with another club. I could see a two year deal, but since you know the Revs won't sell you onwards even if you want to go and ask to go, I wouldn't want to be held to a three year deal for not a whole lot of money. he probably made 6-700K last season and will be making probably 200 here.

Posted by: northzax | August 14, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"Fimleikafélag Hafnarfjarðar"

Maybe the Fox Footy Fools should hang that one in the studio. Can I buy a replica on Eurosport?

And how, exactly, does one "sing" Rock and Roll part II? The only lyric is "Hey!"

Joe Doc: need your expertise here.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 14, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 14, 2008 2:59 PM

You forgot "You suck!"

Posted by: Colm | August 14, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Is Beckham called up for England's game next week?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 14, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Is Donovan called up for ours?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 14, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Georgia, Russia, Poland, Pakistan... got me swamped. No creative juices today, I-270, Exit 1. Gotta get back to the grind.

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 14, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Georgia, Russia, Pakistan.
Poland's getting missiles man.
Putin's up to old tricks.
Joe Doc can't post lyrics.

We didn't start the fire.
It was always burnin' since the world's been turnin.'
No we didn't light it, but we're tryin' to fight it.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 14, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

AJ and Kev: Thanks for the info. I didn't know those theories and always wonder why they call it a such. But then again, the media sometimes makes it more confusing.

Posted by: td | August 14, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PB | August 14, 2008 1:30 PM
---------------------------------------

Wow, you live for nothing other than being offended and offending in return, don't you?

Posted by: The PB | August 14, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Is there any danger that McBride will be back from China in time for the game this weekend?

Posted by: Paul | August 14, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Hedbal:

I think you're alone on Dyachenko at this point. I seem to be one of the most optimistic regulars here, and even I've said he sucks. To clarify that, I'd like to point out that I think he sucks as an attacking midfielder. He has no understanding of how to control a game's tempo, and his touch is (at best) erratic. These are both required skills. As a 2nd forward, he actually doesn't do too badly, since someone else is still in charge of the attack. He has decent size, strength, and leaping ability, and is always looking to go towards goal. If Dyachenko has a place in MLS, it's as a forward, not as an attacking midfielder.

griffin1108:

You think our number of muscle injuries is bad? Check out Chivas USA's injury list and the number of games missed by their forwards with groin/hamstring injuries.

northzax:

Feilhaber in New England would probably mean they sit Larentowicz if they go back to the 352 (which they haven't played without Parkhurst). If they continue with the 442, I think you'd see Nyassi sit, Larentowicz to central defense, and Feilhaber and Ralston filling the attacking midfield and right midfield spots.

270:

Come to College Park and find out how. You sing the musical part, then yell "Hey!" at the appropriate time. It may be the greatest chant for drunks ever.

***

Peralta being questionable severely hurts our chances in Chicago. He's not the world's greatest center back, but on a team where he's the only legit, natural CB, he's priceless.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 14, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Chest Rockwell: I think you are correct about Dyachenko. I give him slack because Troy Perkins told me at a reserve match last year that he was "not just going to be good, but great," and I have been cutting him slack waiting for that greatness to appear. But like you, I think he is best at forward. He has a soft touch receiving the ball (better than Q, IMHO), a good shot, and, as you say is always pressing forward. That's what impressed a very soccer-knowledgeable friend of mine who saw him at Soccerplex recently in a Cup match. He thought he was the best player on the pitch.

With our shortage of forwards (Doe out; Moreno more of a setup man; Kirk unimpressive) I hope he gets slotted in more up front.

Posted by: Hedbal | August 14, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse