DCU Updates

United Coach Tom Soehn could use some healthy bodies and, judging from the progress of individual players, he will probably have a few more options for Sunday's league match at New York and Tuesday's U.S. Open Cup game against New England at RFK.

Let's go down the list:

*Santino Quaranta (hamstring): Says he is fully recovered and ready to go, though probably not for a full 90 minutes. More from Santino later.
*Marcelo Gallardo (sports hernia): Has been participating in training, getting closer.
*Gonzalo Peralta (sports hernia): A little further along than Gallardo, should be available.
*Francis Doe (foot infection): Still out.
*Dan Stratford (knee surgery): Practing, getting closer.
*Domenic Mediate (concussion): Still out.
*Ben Olsen (ankle): Still out.

Soehn: "They are making progress as far as being able to train, but the one thing you can't emulate is what it is like to play in a game. When we do raise the intensity, they are behind a little bit with the soccer part and the physical part. We are going to have to continue to work them hard to get them back to where they need to be. They are still rusty. Having taken time off, it always takes away from the soccer part."

Soehn, on the imminent arrival of Liberian-Swiss goalkeeper Louis Crayton: "I don't comment on rumors."

Quaranta, on the battle for playing time with a healthy roster: "It's going to be interesting how you get everyone back on the field now. That is the consequence when you get injured. [Gallardo] is close, and everybody is close again. We've got good depth, and when you add certain players, now [Soehn] has a lot of different options. We'll see what happens. As a coach, it's tough because you play certain players and then, for a guy like me, that was the most confident I have been in a long time playing consistently every game [before the injury]. And then you go back to not knowing what is going to happen. In a way, you want to say it is not fair, but it's just the way it goes in sports. I just have to work hard and see what happens. I'll be playing more forward now. In the end, I feel like, when I was playing, I was one of the best players on the field. In a way, you've got to find a way to get your best 11 on the field, but I am willing to do whatever it takes. Where ever I have to play, if I am a reserve, I am a reserve, if I am a starter, I am a starter. I support these guys any way I can."

Jaime Moreno: "Even though it's not easy for a coach to decide who is going to play, it's always good that you have people behind you pushing you and so you don't feel too comfortable with your position and you work harder to maintain that."

Perhaps Quaranta will come on for Moreno in the second half at New York and give the team captain some rest before the Tuesday game? Quaranta will be needed in the New England match with Marc Burch (red card), Ivan Guerrero (cup-tied) and Joe Vide (cup-tied) unavailable.

On a side note, for those interested in social interaction during the USA-Netherlands Olympic match Sunday morning, there are these opportunities.

By Steve Goff  |  August 8, 2008; 12:55 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cunningham to Dallas
Next: Open Clarification

Comments

UEFA.com indicates Crayton to DCU is a done deal:

Posted by: NutHouse4life01 | August 8, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

good to hear the folks are getting healthy. now if this GK is any good, look out folks!

Posted by: steve-o | August 8, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

If crayton is any good, maybe Wells can play midfield. (joke)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I like Tino's confidence. I was luke warm on him when he returned to DC but he works hard and shows good soccer sense. I like his size on the flank too. Its nice to see him be imposing. If he can give us 30 minutes on Sunday that would be great.

Posted by: MaxHeadroom | August 8, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Senor Goff -- Re: Stratford, can you clarify what you mean by "getting closer"? He got significant time in the KC reserve match last Sunday. I thought he was healthy, but not yet back to full match fitness. Is that wrong?

Thanks.

Posted by: Bootsy | August 8, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Rest this team as much as possible against Energie NY, and focus on the USOC...

Posted by: RK | August 8, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Come on Tino!
I sort of got the chills thinking about him coming on for Jaime on Sunday...I am phyched to see number 25 further forward!!!

Thanks for such top notch coverage of the Local Club Steve!
A thousand cheers and a bunch of beers to ya this weekend!
Last chance for someone to tell me where I could catch the DCU/NYRB game out in Cape Hatteras!!!.....

And everyone going to the Open Cup match on Tuesday have a blast and Represent! I'm dying that I can't go:(:(:(

Posted by: dadryan | August 8, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

Hmm, I'd like to see the reverse actually. The danger in subbing in someone just off a hamstring injury is that they might tweak it again really soon. Then, depending on what other subs you've made, you could be down to 10 men.

OTOH, you could start Tino, see if he can make it 60 minutes on his hammy, and _then_ bring Jaime in for 30 minutes -- accomplishing the same goal of keeping him rested.

Just a thought. Possibly a wrong one.

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 8, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Troy Perkins plays 90 minutes for Valerenga in a friendly v Liverpool.

Unfortunately, his side let's in 4 goals.

Posted by: delantero | August 8, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Do you think it's safe to say that Olsen and Mediate are not in United's short-term plans?

Also, is Mediate still suffering from concussion-like symptoms, or is United hesitant to rush him back due to their experience with Gros and Eskandrian?

Posted by: TCompton | August 8, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

You sure about that? I thought Perkins only played the first 45 and gave up 1.

Posted by: RK | August 8, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but expanding on Tino for a second, even before the revelations earlier this year, he's been saying and doing all the right things, and seems to be a great teammate in the locker room as well. I really hope the injuries are behind him now and for good.

Posted by: Section 130 | August 8, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

You sure about that?
Posted by: RK | August 8, 2008 2:05 PM

No, info came from a Liverpool fan, they can't be trusted

Posted by: delantero | August 8, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

To answer some questions.....

Stratford is close to being ready for regular league games.

The club will be careful with Mediate. No timeline for a return.

As for Olsen, the club will probably need to make a decision by mid-September whether to put him on the season-ending injury list. By doing so, it would open a roster slot.

Posted by: Goff | August 8, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, my info was from BigSoccer (YA gameday info). Now all we need is wiki to "confirm" the story ;)

Posted by: RK | August 8, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RK | August 8, 2008 2:26 PM

Also check for confirmation on MLS rumors.

Posted by: John | August 8, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Perkins only played the first 45, allowing a single goal, a very nice strike by Xabi Alonso. The other three came in the second half after Perkins left the game.

Posted by: jpeace121 | August 8, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

So, If I were to put on my "glass is half full" glasses (and assuming that Olsen and Mediate are out of the picture), is this our 18 man game day roster?:

FORWARD: Emilio, Moreno
---Bench: Doe, Quaranta

MIDFIELD: Gallardo, Fred, Guerrero, Simms
---Bench: Quaranta, Burch, Vide, Cordeiro, Thompson

DEFENSE: Martinez, McTavish, Peralta, Namoff
---Bench: Burch, P. Carroll

GOALKEEPER: Wells
---Bench: Clayton

Posted by: TCompton | August 8, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

will USA Network have commercials during the usa-netherlands match?

Posted by: Ralph | August 8, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I believe that Goff has mentioned the possibility of Cory Gibbs returning to MLS soon. This article in the Denver Post also mentions Benny Feilhaber and Eddie Lewis:

Posted by: The Jeff | August 8, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

TCompton:

That looks about right, but I count 21 names. With Quaranta and Burch listed twice, I'm getting 19 names on your game-day roster.

Seeing the roster written out like that, I get a good feeling about the roster depth of the team once all the injured players are back.

Posted by: DCUInWheaton | August 8, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

will USA Network have commercials during the usa-netherlands match?

Posted by: Ralph | August 8, 2008 3:14 PM
.........................................

The two games involving US sides that have been shown on MSNBC to date only had commercials before/halftime/after. There is no reason to believe that games shown on USA, which are produced by the same NBC crew, will be any different.

Posted by: The Jeff | August 8, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goff | August 8, 2008 2:26 PM
=================

Isn't that kind of late? At that point there'll only be about 6 regular seasons matches remaining. Would an open roster spot at that time be for a new player or to reward a current player?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 8, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

DCUInWheaton,

I count 19 too. I say Cordeiro is the odd man out as Burch can play as a back-up left mid/defender. Cordeiro would be 3rd on the left side depth chart.

Posted by: United fury | August 8, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if I was watching a live transmission or not, but Telemundo cut away from the US women's game against Japan for pre-scheduled infomercials.

US was winning 1-0 approaching stoppage time.

Posted by: garbaggio | August 9, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse