Feilhaber Update

Just touched base with Benny Feilhaber's agent, Lyle Yorks, who is in Aarhus (Denmark) with the USA Olympian.

"He had his medical and, if all of the final details are agreed, he will sign in the morning," Yorks told the Insider.

Derby County, Feilhaber's current club, will let him go on a free transfer. Feilhaber would join another American, Jeremiah White, at the ambitious Danish club.

We'll see if this gets done in the next 24 hours.

By Steve Goff  |  August 14, 2008; 6:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Roster Announced
Next: Mo Edu on the Move?

Comments

I both did and didn't want to see him in a Revs uniform... Hopefully he'll get lots of PT over there

Posted by: maw | August 14, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I hope Feilhaber plays and does well at his new club. He looked great in the Gold Cup final against Mexico (and not just because of the spectacular goal) and I was hoping that he continued that play in England. How is the Danish league anyway? How would it be in comparison to MLS?

Posted by: CY | August 14, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

As long as he's playing regularly and doesn't drop to any lower levels, this is good.

CY: A Danish friend from high school has told me that the leagues are pretty similar in quality. The difference is that the Danish clubs can pay much better salaries for equivalent talent. The Danish tax rate is much higher than what you find in the US, but most clubs in Europe deal with that problem by providing an apartment and a car (something I can see the players' union asking for during the CBA negotiations).

For what it's worth, DC United lost 1-0 to Denmark's Odense in preseason play. Odense finished 4th last season and sits 2nd after 4 rounds of play in the 2008-2009 season.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 14, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I've had a chance to see a few games in Aarhus - not a bad level of play, they are paid better, and they are much more accessible to other Euro teams for scouting purposes (aligned calender, short travel, etc).

I would rather see Benny there because I think he would get too much of a free pass if he were to play here. He needs to earn his right to get on the field and stay on the field on a consistent basis.

Posted by: MK | August 14, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

So Ives's story about Bennie coming to MLS wasn't as solid as the Insider's info that he was going to Denmark?

Posted by: Pretender to the Throne? | August 14, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I hope he does well. Right after WC2006 a few buddies and I sat down and put together a starting 11 for 2010. I put Benny as starting CM. They all laughed and some didnt know who he was, but after the Gold Cup they were in agreement. As of today they can laugh, but I hope he gets back and is even better than before.

Posted by: Pat in Bmore | August 14, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Benny's agent was using the MLS to get a better deal in Europe. Honestly as much as I like the MLS the quality of soccer is better In Europe.

Posted by: Johnny | August 14, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I miss Lyle Yorks, another United boy done good.

Good luck To Mr. F'ber, he needs some more regular playing time to round his game out.

The only Danish I like is the Cheese Danish, the other kinds aren't as yummy with coffee.

Posted by: Lonnie | August 14, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Good, didn't need the Revs getting him.

Posted by: d | August 14, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I'd say MLS is just as good as the league that Benny is going to play in and has played in---(I wouldn't count his time in the EPL as playing), plus it's OUR LEAGUE.

>>>>>
Honestly as much as I like the MLS the quality of soccer is better In Europe.

Posted by: Johnny | August 14, 2008 8:58 PM

Posted by: d | August 14, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I think Aarhus is a good place for Benny and I hope he does well, but his petulance in the US-Nigeria match almost got him carded IMO. That German referee wasn't putting up with much. Maybe the refs in England and Denmark are more "understanding" of diva temperament.

Posted by: Hedbal | August 14, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Arena had dinner with Tim Liewerkwerkew tonight...

Posted by: RK | August 14, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Final Score T&T 3 - ES 1.

Four red cards and a smattering of yellows. Yeah. This was a friendly.

ES were more aggressive in the first half and T&T were content to play the counter-attack. The T&T back four were very tight, but the midfield was hesitant and lacked creativity.

T&T goea ahead in the 18th minte on a header off a free kick (I think). Idiot act #1: the goal-scorer runs over to the ES fans and taunts them by cupping his ear. Beer showers downs upon the small but loud T&T supporters in the lower deck. A few cups and plastic bottles too. Bienvenidos a Cuscatlan Norte.

ES scores of a well placed free kick from the right side of the area that found the far side netting unattended. ES player reciprocates the taunt.

Half ends 1-1. A fair result.

Idiot acts 2, 3, 4 and 5 occurred in the 56th minute. T&T player fouls an ES player hard, right at midfield, in front of both benches. A T&T player punches and ES player. An ES player reciprocates. ES players warming up behind the goal run over to participate in the festivities. Each side earns two reds: one for a player on the field and one for a player on the bench (the ES bench player had just been substituted).

A few minutes later, T&T finally figures out that those areas toward the touch lines are wings and that it's OK to play over there. The start opening it up more resulting in a goal that started on the left wing. Idiot act # 6: goal scorer pulls off his jersey and tries to throw it into the crowd (note to idiot: unless you have a wadded-up shirt and a T-shirt slingshot, your jersey won't go very far. He's rewarded with a yellow card.

T&T gets loose down the right wing, center he ball. ES central defender screws the clearance and T&T player makes a note to send a Thank You card for the thoughtful gift. 3-1.

Idiot acts.. what number am I on? Oh yes 7. ES fan runs onto the field. Security (CSC Event Staff needs more treadmills) finally pens him against the dasher boards and tosses him over. Crowd is incensed, presumably because of the perception of unnecessary force against immigrants and more beer, cups, and bottles rain down from the upper deck. I-270 is happy to be sitting in the Mezzanine.

Idiot acts #8. Another ES interloper, but a comical one who hugs the players, is escorted to CSC staff by an ES player.

Act of mercy #1: Ref ends match without adding what should have been 8 minutes of injury time for the fight and the goals.

Up until the fight, the atmosphere was wonderful. Loud chanting and drumming from both sets of fans. Great to see enthusiastic fans on both sides. Advice to the T&T fans: More cowbells.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I lived in Denmark for a few years (as an FCK -- Copenhagen -- fan). The big stars in MLS are better than anyone in the Danish league, but the top-to-bottom rosters are better in Denmark. I'd say MLS and Danish clubs would play against each other without any notable advantage on either side.

Denmark's nightlife, however, blows away anything Mo's likely to have seen in College Park or Toronto. Hey Mo, stay away from Jongfru Ana Gade in Aalborg!

Posted by: troy | August 15, 2008 2:03 AM | Report abuse

I saw White's Aarhus play against Nyguen's Randers while in Denmark. The style of play of aarhus should be a great fit for Benny. Personally I think he is one of the most dynamic players we have had since Tab Ramos. If gets some time where coaches aren't playing games with him, his attitude will disappear and his quality will shine through. Great development for the US if the deal works out. Holland or France will be the next stop. Besides Derby was crap, thier play was crap, the only thing worse, was the management of Derby. Benny fit Derby like Fenty equals honesty.

Posted by: usa traveler | August 15, 2008 3:27 AM | Report abuse

It's now official that Benny will join AGF (as the club is called here in Denmark).

AGF is one of the oldest clubs in Denmark with proud traditions. The club is however currently rebuilding after 10 years of abysmal management, but should finish in the middle of the Danish league this season.

The Danish league has improved vastly the last 3-5 years, and is on a level just below the 5 big leauges in Europe, and has enjoyed great success in the European competitions sofar this season. So hopefully Benny can get career restarted with AGF and help them lift us to the top of the Danish league.

Posted by: Holme | August 15, 2008 6:46 AM | Report abuse

It sure looks official... anyone read Danish???

Posted by: Mixter | August 15, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Id say Denmark is a 3rd tier Euro league. Similar style of play to us.

1st-England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France
2nd- Holland, Scotland, Portugal, Greece, Turkey
3rd- Russia, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden

Posted by: Irene | August 15, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

What were the chances of him staying in england and finding another Championship to sign along with? I know he wouldn't have a chance even on Derby but surely another team would deal for him.

Posted by: Kevin | August 15, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Cool. Denmark is getting a lot of American players in its top league. Dan Califf won the league title with Aalborg but was traded to FC Midtjylland and he's gotten them off to a great start in the League and in the UEFA Cup. Sooner or later he'll head to the Bundesliga to play.

Posted by: Cory | August 15, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Even Wiki's got the GF up-dated roster with Benny listed.

Posted by: Redd | August 15, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"It sure looks official... anyone read Danish???

Brian Steen Nielsen (the sports director) says: "Benny is a different kind of midfielder than the others, that we have. He is more offensive, and it warrants for quality that he has played on a high level in the Bundesliga, in the Premier League and on the American national team. It is an exciting player that I'm looking forward to seeing in action, and that I'm sure will feel at home quickly, both regarding football and socially.

Benny says:
"AGF is a club on the rise, where I feel I fit in and can perform my best. I heard a lot of good things about the Danish league, and I look forward to trying it on."

"I like having the ball at my feet, I have a good vision of the field, and I like putting my teammates into play with precise passes. Defensively I'm tactically strong and work hard. Outside the field I'm a relaxed guy, who gets along well with everybody."

Posted by: Anders | August 15, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse