Fred Out 3-4 Weeks with Hamstring Injury

Hey guys, Tenorio here again checking in quickly from RFK. Bad news on the injury front. D.C. United midfielder Fred is out for 3-4 weeks after sustaining a left hamstring injury late in the game against New England on Wednesday (he was substituted in the 72nd minute). It's yet another crucial blow to a midfield that has been devastated by injury this season.

MF Marcelo Gallardo (hernia) and D Gonzalo Peralta (hamstring) remain out. GK Zach Wells is also out with sesamoiditis. What's sesamoiditis, you ask? Well a quick google search shows it is "a common ailment that affects the forefoot, typically in young people who engage in physical activity like running or dancing. Its most common symptom is pain in the ball-of-the-foot, especially on the medial or inner side. The term is a general description for any irritation of the sesamoid bones, which are tiny bones within the tendons that run to the big toe."

D Marc Burch is also out with a suspension due to yellow card accumulation, while MF/D Ivan Guerrero returns to the club after international duty, and D Gonzalo Martinez is back from his yellow card accumulation suspension.

Whew. Well, it will certainly be interesting to see the lineup tomorrow.

By Paul Tenorio  |  August 22, 2008; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Television, Drug of the Nation

Comments

man doesnt any wish this was Blitz The League (that horrible game), they get injured and juice up their fine within minutes LOL

man sucks though! Wells is faking it lol
(joke)

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 22, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tenorio, while you're there, can you ask them about the rumor that Gallardo will be shut down for the rest of the year?

Posted by: Section 130 | August 22, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Damn, I don't think we are going to field a full strength team at all this season

whats up with Gallardo, they have been keeping quiet about him? were there complications with his surgery?

What about Peralta, he played awesome in the USOC game but didnt play against new england or Chi, did he re-aggravate something?

Posted by: Springfield | August 22, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

This team is going to get humiliated in the Champions League. Any depth that they had is gone.

Posted by: RK | August 22, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrows forecast? heavy drinking...

Posted by: DirtyHarry | August 22, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps a better question...

Is DCU shutting guys down to get them healthy for the CONCACAF Champions League? I would think that the FO would like to have a strong showing in the inaugural event. But would they risk MLS regular season games in order to get guys healthy?

For as much as people questioned the impact/value of Gallardo, of which I would include myself, I can't help but think that without him in the lineup DCU looks somewhat lost. I wish we could every back and healthy. A completely healthy DCU team might be able to win MLS Cup...

Posted by: therealfootball | August 22, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

My arthritic back is really acting up, but if they need me, I'm willing to try and play the full 90.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | August 22, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Well, with Wells, Peralta, and Burch out, Fred wouldn't have his usual passing targets around anyway . . .

Posted by: gringo | August 22, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Man this is brutal. These guys are falling like bowling pins.

Well, if the injury bug has come to stay (amazing all the rain and storms did not wash it out) I say we win the USOC - a nice title to walk away with and lock up some international ball for next year at which point we come back madder and hungrier than ever. For the rest of the season and the CCL? Well we do a Brad Guzan to the reserves and young pups (hey they were gonna have to face the music sometime) and get them hardened for next year too (also a good way to see who will need to be given their walking papers at the end of the year...you hear me Kirk? Ball up!)

OR we could save them for the business end (CCL, playoff run, playoffs, heck MLS CUP even) as was suggested by therealfootball, and go for more glory. I hope that is the case, but it seems too risky a proposition to be probable.

IN ANY CASE...
* this sucks.
* Soehn better win that USOC championship (if he pulls a TFC on us in this title game I just might go postal)
* we will need to learn from this and draft, trade, beg, borrow or steal better in the future.

Get well guys.

Posted by: Kosh | August 22, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like they need to put someone on the season ending injury list already.
I had a bad feeling about Fred coming off the other night...
When does the transfer window close?
How's Doe?

Posted by: dadryan | August 22, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Do we even have enough healthy bodies to field a team tomorrow?? This does not bode well for the Champions League :(

Posted by: JB | August 22, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I almost forgot: Why,oh why did we get rid of Gomez?!?:)

Posted by: dadryan | August 22, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I no longer own any cleats, though. Will they have pair in my size, or do I need to go out and buy a pair? Will I need to bring my own jersey and pay my own Metro fare, or is DCU management less miserly than the Lerners?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | August 22, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Top two advance to the next round? I'd say Saprissa is going to wax us (they play on turf), but we might give the other members a fight . . . it is a month away and hopefully we'll be healthier.

>>>

Posted by: RK | August 22, 2008 12:31 PM

Posted by: delantero | August 22, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Um, I could have sworn I saw him subbed out here in New England on Wednesday. Sorry for you guys, I think he's a good player. Hope your injury problems get better, and please feel free to beat Chicago any time you like.

Posted by: cammie v | August 22, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

"a common ailment that affects the forefoot, typically in young people who engage in physical activity like running or dancing. "

I guess Zach must have been spending too much time on the dance floor, because I sure haven't seen him running lately.

Can't believe no one else beat me to that joke!

Anyway, I wouldn't mind missing Fred for a couple of weeks if we could get Gallardo back. A midfield of Quaranta-Simms-Gallardo-Guerrero would be just fine. But as it stands, we might see Thompson-Simms-Quaranta-Guerrero.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 22, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Wells was going to be suffering from splinterbutt anyways so no big deal. I hate to say it but maybe either Olsen or Mediate need to go on the IR list. Priorities right now are 1) winning USOC and 2) making the MLS playoffs.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | August 22, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Rod D for the #10 slot!!!

Posted by: Fisch Fry | August 22, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I've seen this headline before.

Posted by: B.A. | August 22, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Wooooooohoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally Fred is out!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Asher | August 22, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Rod can deliver a #10 to my house with extra wontons and a shrimp roll.

Posted by: YeahRight | August 22, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Asher must be a Fire fan. I'd be happy too after the way he torched Chicago all night long.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | August 22, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Send Payne to LA to reunite with the other ego.

Posted by: GoWest | August 22, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

We have Kirk why are you all so worried?

If I were Soehn I would start Saturday with Crayton, Moreno and 9 orange traffic cones. Crayton and Moreno are the only two who seem to actually want to win and the orange cones will do about as much to stop Gomez as our midfielders and defense does.

However, I would bet that at least one cone will get carded for tackling Erpen from behind :-)

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 22, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

So, who IS healthy?

I guess we'll see something along the lines of this on Saturday:

---------------Crayton---------------
-----------Carroll--McTavish---------
--Namoff-------------------Martinez--
--------------Vide---Simms-----------
----Quaranta-------------Guerrero----
------------------Moreno-------------
-------------Emilio------------------

That's still a far cry from:

---------------Crayton---------------
-----------Peralta--McTavish---------
--Namoff-------------------Martinez--
----------------Simms----------------
----Fred------------------Gurerrero--
---------------Gallardo--------------
---------------------Moreno----------
-------------Emilio------------------

Man, when are going to get healthy?

Posted by: TCompton | August 22, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

LOL, don't forget the chopsticks. They always forget chopsticks.

>>>>>>
Rod can deliver a #10 to my house with extra wontons and a shrimp roll.

Posted by: YeahRight | August 22, 2008 1:14 PM

Posted by: delantero | August 22, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Gomez?? You might want to check his performance, dadryan...

Posted by: RK | August 22, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Gomez is riding the pine and is expected to do so again tomorrow.

Posted by: LW | August 22, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

DC is ghettto
Very Very Ghetto
DC is ghetto
Like Jamie Moreno

EVERYONE SING!

Posted by: Smith | August 22, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe no one else beat me to that joke!

Posted by: DCUMD | August 22, 2008 1:05 PM

Coiming to your TV in September: Zach Wells on "Dancing with the Stars". Partnered with the ever-pouty Karina Smirnoff...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Actually, considering that Zaher actually played fairly well and P. Carroll's recent performances I'd guess we'll see this:

---------------Crayton---------------
-----------Carroll--Martinez---------
--Namoff---------------------Zaher---
--------------Vide---Simms-----------
----Quaranta-------------Guerrero----
------------------Moreno-------------
-------------Emilio------------------

Bench: Thorpe, Carroll, Kirk, Cordiero, Thompson, Dyachenko

Note: The only person not injured or on this roster is Dane Murphy, who has yet to appear for the first team this year. What a sad state of affairs...

Posted by: Doze | August 22, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Doze: re: everyone is either injured, in your lineup/on your bench, or Murphy -- McTavish is none of the above.

Posted by: Bootsy | August 22, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Fischfry,

You could take back the captain's armband, along with your nickname of "El Diablo".

Posted by: Section 130 | August 22, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

TO MR. PK

Show me a game that he has played bad in? I think its more of the fact that he is on a horrible team with no management what so ever. There is a reason why Clavijo is gone. If gomez was on any other team, then it would be a diffrent story. Colorado has horrible Forwards as well. What is there production again/ comparing them to moreno and emilio is crazy. If you compare Gomez vs Gallardo any idiot can see who is more valuable to a team and who is the bigger name. We choose to go with the bigger name and not only did we lose a great player but we also lost a great player with the heart to win games. Gallardo is just here to get paid. SIMPLE AS THAT! I just wish the FO would pull a gallardo and some money for gomez swap. like NOW.

Posted by: dc fan | August 22, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Speakin of "el Diablo" you think he can come downstairs from the boxes and suit up for the United one last time! lol...we need some kind of Creative Midfielder play this next game.

Posted by: keep Dreamin | August 22, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Bootsy,

McT is out on yellow card accumulation.

Posted by: LW | August 22, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

OOPs my bad, it is Burch out on yellows, not McT.

Posted by: Lw | August 22, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Am I Mr. PK?

Gomez hasn't played 90 since June 7th, has one assist since then, and was benched by the new coach this weekend.

Even if Gomez were an all-star this year, giving him an expensive multiple-year contract at his age would've been dumb.

Posted by: RK | August 22, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Khhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn!!!
-----
We have Kirk why are you all so worried?
Posted by: Southeasterner | August 22, 2008 1:26 PM

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 22, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

For the billionth time...Gomez is gone. He is no longer with DCU. What it is, what it is. Let's get over it and move on, forward, into the now, the future and beyond, and...oh what am I doing I'm still going to have to say this again for the billionth and first time.

Posted by: Kosh | August 22, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Paul,

Fred hurt his hamstring against New England.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

sooo do you think tommy is saving all the big boys for a real push into the playoffs???

All of this stuff with gallardo etc sure smells this that.

for the past 2 years DC won the supports cup then folded in the playoffs...hmmmm

Posted by: bobf | August 22, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Khhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn!!!
-----
We have Kirk why are you all so worried?
Posted by: Southeasterner | August 22, 2008 1:26 PM

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 22, 2008 2:26 PM

My car has rich Corinthian leather.

Posted by: Matthai | August 22, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

So lets go down the injury list... we've got: Wells, Jeff Carroll, Gallardo, Fred, Peralta, Doe, Olsen, Mediate, with Burch suspended... did I miss anyone?

Posted by: Josh | August 22, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

If the past several weeks is any indication of future performance, then we should win tomorrow. It's been a while since DC has had consecutive wins OR losses.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 22, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we can swap Gallardo for Christian Gomez?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 22, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

The Lineup is a no brainer...

-------------Crayton-----
Namoff-Mctavish-Carroll-Martinez

--------Simms---Vide--------
Quaranta---------------Guerrero

--------Moreno-----Emilio------

Subs: Thorpe, Kirk, Thompson, Cordiero, Dyachenko, Zaher, Murphy

We have 18 healthy players... and some of them are probably nicked up from playing so much..

Posted by: Line up | August 22, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

^^^^^

This is a line-up that can win tomorrow. That is a pretty good line-up given how many people are out.

Posted by: United fury | August 22, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

So Gallardo has as many goals (4) and 3 assists (to 7) as compared to Gomez, in two-thirds the number fo games and with a team that has 4 more points in the same number of games.

Why are there still people out there who think Gomez is such a better player?

Posted by: Matt | August 22, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

EJ loaned to Cardiff.

Posted by: RK | August 22, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Our new coach didn't bench C. Gomez last week, our old coach did. Even though he wasn't on the sidelines, he was still calling the shots. He also pulled him early in the game before that against Toronto, stating a "lack of effort". That was ridiculous, Christain has been one of our best players this year. Balouchy should have been pulled since he's basically a 12th man for the opponents. Every pass goes to the other team, and he runs into crowds instead of passing to wide open players.

I think you will see this line up tomorrow:

--------Bouna Time!-------
Erpen-Petke-Gibbs-Burciaga
---------Mastoeni----------
Cooke-Balouchy-C.Gomez-Clark
----------Casey------------

You have a couple things going against you in this game:

1- I believe thats 3 former DC players that might want a little payback for being traded to the Rapids (nobody wants to be traded to the Rapids).
2- New coach means fresh outlook & every one playing for their jobs

You do have a couple things going for you in this game though as well:

1- We are terrible on the road
2- we have yet to win back to back games this year
3- we need at least 10 shots to get 1 goal

This game has DRAW written all over it!

Posted by: Jester | August 22, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

rumor has it some of the boys got together for some good times after the game in Chicago. Allegedly Blanco punched Gallardo in the groin while out drinking that night and re-aggravated his hernia injury. Fred who was also there stepped in to help his fallen teammate only to slip on a lime from Blanco's Cerveza aggravating his hamstring. Wells and Olsen tried to step in only to have Blanco stomp on their toes. It took his personal security guard to remove Blanco and apologize to all parties involved while Blanco was shouting "The league shouldn't do anything because those guys were drunk", and "They get drunk and become insulting"

I hear Comcast SportsNet has footage of the incident and is forwarding it to the league for further review.

Posted by: Gilly73 | August 22, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow; as a new Colorado fan I couldn't be more looking forward to the fan reaction after the DC-Col match.

Have to disagree that Gomez has been anything but a load of uselessness this season. He's not fit, hardly contributes more than a few passes a match, and is never on the field for the last 30 minutes. I think the lineup last week was purely the call of the new coach; and that, with Casey finally over his scoring funk, the team is going run DC all over the field.

We'll see...

Posted by: Hacksaw | August 22, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

RK I thought you knew me better... I've been bagging on the heartbroken Christian Lovers all along.
I was joking:)

Posted by: dadryan | August 22, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Post of the week.

----------
Rod can deliver a #10 to my house with extra wontons and a shrimp roll.

Posted by: YeahRight | August 22, 2008 1:14 PM

Posted by: noptov52 | August 22, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

It will be really difficult for DC to do anything with those two DMs. It's a good occasional strategy, but longterm, no way. Without anyone in the central midfield, this team can't do jack.

Quaranta might serve for a bit, but he hasn't impressed me too much. Seems to be more aggressive with his chewing gum than with the opposing goal. But beggars can't be choosers.

I would go with:

-------------Crayton-----------

Namoff-Mctavish-Martinez-Zaher

-------------Simms------------

Vide---------Moreno-------Guerrero

------Quaranta-----Emilio-------

Posted by: spike_2.0 | August 22, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Are there any physios lurking in this forum?

Maybe they can provide info about sports hernias.

Are sports hernias, before they get to the point they require surgery, apparent during physical exams? Or do they suddenly develop like a hamstring injury?

In other words, did Peralta and Gallardo arrive at DCU with physical problems that could have been discovered and should have raised questions about their durability? Or was it just bad luck for DCU?

Posted by: Running Cloud | August 23, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

No. Sports hernias cannot be diagnosed in advanced. The only basis you have is from the immediate introduction of pain or bulging which is present when the the abdominal wall is irritated and intestines have gone through the tear. Remember when you would get your physical and the doc would as you to drop your pants, turn right, and cough?? Yeah - he is checking for a hernia. Sports hernias occur all the time for soccer players (also hockey). It is because the players are always leaning over and using the lower abdominal muscle as the center of gravity to exert force (kicking a soccer ball). Basically so much wear and tear can occur on the abdominal muscle and it rips/tears - allowing other organs (intestines) to go through the wall. So to answer the question - No, you cannot detect a sports hernia early in physical exams.

I remember Marvel Wynne's first season where he to had a sports hernia on which he had surgery. He is doing alright now but it took him a while to recover.

Posted by: Anthony The Great | August 23, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info, Anthony The Great.

Posted by: Running Cloud | August 23, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Hello my friend, your site is very good! http://kazhgiyror.com

Posted by: nnbzksiowq | August 27, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse