Friday Kickaround

*We knew Toronto FC's Amado Guevara would miss this weekend's match with Colorado after receiving a red card for striking Dallas's Pablo Ricchetti in the face. But MLS decided to slap him (pun intended) with a second game ban, next week against New York -- which will give him plenty of time to prepare for Honduras's World Cup qualifier at Mexico on Aug. 20. Not much to see, but here is another look at the incident.

*Did you know.....that New England is 11-1-5 the last three-plus months in all competitions? Zoinks! The only defeat during that stretch was 2-1 at Real Salt Lake. The Revs are 6-0-3 since that setback. They've got two tough ones approaching: home tomorrow vs. Chicago and away Tuesday against D.C. United in the U.S. Open Cup semifinals.

*Did you know....that RSL starting goalkeeper Nick Rimando played a few minutes in midfield the other day during a reserve division match? This comes a few days after DCU turned to a veteran player's sibling for reinforcement. Perhaps MLS should have a reserve division theme week. Next up: All players-turned-coaches (Clavijo, Gullit, Soehn, Nicol, Onalfo, Yallop, Hamlett, Kreis, Preki, Kinnear, Carver but, um, not Schmid) must suit up.

*As you know, forward Jeff Cunningham is on his way out of Toronto, his relationship with John Carver irreparably damaged. Strange as it may seem, I am hearing Los Angeles, which already has Landon Donovan, Edson Buddle and Carlos Ruiz, is apparently interested. Doesn't make any sense, I know. Perhaps Donovan or Ruiz is on the way out? I'm curious to see how this one unfolds.

*A link to my Louis Crayton story in today's Post.

Back later from DCU training.....

By Steve Goff  |  August 8, 2008; 8:55 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olympic Poll
Next: Cunningham, Ruiz, TFC, L.A.

Comments

To LA? Not making sense? When has that stopped them?

Posted by: RK | August 8, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

But still DC United have 14 games back in...oh I don't remember so NE has yet to pass DC landmark unbeaten record.
That's why Lala land is dumb. What they really need is defense.

Posted by: arlington4united | August 8, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Zoiks?!

Looks like Ruud is going to play the famous Dutch 3-3-4 formation once Cunningham gets on board.

"I went home with a waitress
The way I always do
How was I to know?
She was with the Russians too..."

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 8, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Makes sense if Landycakes is going back to Europe. They need to replace him since Ruiz is on his way out.

Posted by: strago | August 8, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

If I'm going down, I'm taking the whole organization with me.

Posted by: Alexi Lalas | August 8, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Makes perfect sense with Lalas pulling the strings. How long before Anshutz goes postal? Now there's a poll for you.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | August 8, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Where would Landycakes go in Europe? I think his ego is too big to play for a bottom dweller even though he is playing for one now. He would be better suited for Spain or Italy.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Where would Landycakes go in Europe?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 9:27 AM
=========

Not Germany!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 8, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Very astute SG. We've seen Donovan reverse himself publicly and say that Europe is intriguing. If LAG can sell Donovan and replace him with Cunningham, that does 2 things:
--open up cap space
--give then money to purchase a player. And they've done a great job giving up allocations, dumping draft picks, trading away promising youth so if they're going to acquire a player they probably need to sell somebody. Donovan, Buddle or Ruiz are the most likely candidates. They've been trying to trade/sell Ruiz for a while now and with Columbus adding Noonan I think that means Ruiz playing with Sigi ain't gonna happen.

Posted by: JoeW | August 8, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

What is the actual process USSF uses to decide on US Open Cup hosting bids???

Posted by: Shawn | August 8, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Another off topic question:

My original DCU schedule has this weekends NYRB match on Saturday night. When and why did it get moved to Sunday at 5:00?

Posted by: JkR | August 8, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

My guess is that Donovan would be best suited for Spain. He's fluent in Spanish, and his speed and skill would suite him more in Spain than in a more physical league like Germany, Engerland, or Italy.

What I find most interesting, when imagining Landycakes gone is that, as much as I despise him in MLS, my distaste for the Galaxy doesn't decline with his exit. I still think they're armature of a team as you can get.

(My animosity toward the Red Bulls has given way to sympathy. That team is in a perpetual state of catastrophe. It's like they're a train wreck that will never end.)

Posted by: TCompton | August 8, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

The Red Bull game was moved at Red Bulls request to give them a extra day to recover after the friendly with Barcelona. At the time, I don't think DC knew that the US Open Cup semi was going to be on Tuesday (or they didn't think they would get there :-( ).

Posted by: Wyrm | August 8, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Donovan could go to Mexico, where he is hated, as part of an exchange program (Blanco being the other part).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 8, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Calling the USOC match against DCU on Tuesday a "tough one" is probably taking a little literary license. DCU will still be missing Gallardo. Peralta might only play limited minutes. Not to mention the fact that, though both teams will be playing on short rest, NE will have an extra 24 hours down time over DCU. New England has been the class of the league to this point of the campaign. I'd be surprised if DCU makes them sweat too much.

Nonetheless, I'll be pulling for the boys in black. Vamos United!

Posted by: Matte | August 8, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR | August 8, 2008 9:46 AM
------------------------------------------------

Good call! My magnetic schedule that I got in the beginning of the season has the game listed as

Sat - 8/10 - New York - 5:00pm - SN, DL, MLSLIVE.TV

Clearly they got the day of the week wrong.

Posted by: TCompton | August 8, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I believe the game got moved back because RBNY asked United if they could move it back a day due to the Barca friendly.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

To answer some questions.....

The USSF awards Open Cup home games based on financial guarantees provided by prospective hosts. DC outbid Charleston, but Seattle outbid DC. Both USL teams outbid NE.

Date of DCU game at New York was moved several months ago.

Posted by: Goff | August 8, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Steve - The word is "zoiNks", not "zoiks".

Posted by: Shaggy | August 8, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Mark Simpson played the field one game when we were down players. Get him in shape, you never know.

LA is going to end up with no one but Beckham. Getting him depleated the team. It has been quite obvious from body language that Donovan doesn't care for the way things are going. The Red Bulls have so much trouble - why not send him to New York. It couldn't hurt to unify their midfield. Look at what Brian Carroll has done for Columbus. Think of the passes that Juan Pablo would be getting.

Good game between USA-Japan. It took a long time for the ball to trickle over the goal line. USA would have gotten to it. The Olympic Soccer Channel is beautiful. I love watching all the games. What did the two from Belgium do to get red cards?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 8, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

We will be missing more than Gallardo Tuesday against the Revs. Burch is suspended for the match, and Guerrero and Vide (I think) are Cup-tied elsewhere. With Peralta and Quaranta just coming back from injuries (ditto Stratford and J. Carroll)it will require a maximum effort to take NE.

Posted by: Hedbal | August 8, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Steve, did US Soccer ever give Haymarket a call? No, of course not! We would have made a very attractive offer, to include numerous bales of hay, truck repair certficates and the best darned barbecue you ever did have.

Chico and Co, best of luck with the fundraiser!

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 8, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

The word is "zoiNks", not "zoiks".

--------------

Zoinks!

Thanks for the heads up -- early-morning brain freeze

Posted by: Goff | August 8, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I still don't understand why Vide and Guerrero would be cup-tied. The Earthquakes never played an official Open Cup match this year. They lost the play-in game.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 8, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Playing your starting keeper in midfield during a reserve match?1?!??! That's Lalas-like stupidity... How foolish would RSL management look had Rimando suffered some kind of season-ending injury playing out of position in a meaningless reserve match? Dumb dumb dumb.

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 8, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Steve:

I hear you about the reserve games. I wish there were a way to let youth players dress without having it raise an NCAA red flag, which would certainly give a disincentive to parents who want their kids to remain eligible for a scholarship.

I'd rather see someone from our U-18 or U-20 team test their mettle on Sunday mornings instead of putting a keeper in the midfield or dragging out someone as a favor.

Posted by: Brian | August 8, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Steve:

Posted by: Brian | August 8, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 8, 2008 10:20 AM

Let me say this about that...

Posted by: Jose Canseco | August 8, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Donovan is too soft for England. He should just stay in LA and rot with the whole organization.
I say we just give LA all the cap space they need and put all of the head case a-holes on one team. Ruiz, Donovan, Cunnigham ... Can we get Amado over there too? Focus the hate. No more hate parity!

Posted by: jgildea | August 8, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I just don't understand all of the hate directed toward Donovan. I'm no Galaxy fan, but Donovan is class and simply one of the best (if not the best) American player ever. He's one of the purest scorers we have ever produced. Lately, he has really stepped it up even further. Agreed that England might not be the best league for him, but he'd still do well over there.

Posted by: EssEff | August 8, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Stepped it up even further where? Not for the national team and I could care less about what he does with LA. He is soft.
I do not care that he decided to play here. He does not owe us anything, but he is too soft and emotionally fragile to play in a league where you have to fight for your spot. He would rather be comfortable. I would rather he go away completely.

Posted by: jgildea | August 8, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

i wouldn't call donovan "class". some of his goal celebrations are far from class. he'd be good on some 2nd division side on the continent. it better be spain since he probably couldn't handle the weather anywhere else.

Posted by: mizage | August 8, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm shocked that LA would allow a reputed leper into their shexy football club.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

If Donovan leaves, my interest in MLS decreases dramatically.

Also, as a DCU fan, I'll say that there aren't many guys in the world who would do more for the Black and Red than he would at his current $900k/year salary.

Donovan was the driving force behind the WC 2002 team. No US player really had a great tourny in 2006 - might it be because the US was in a murderous group? Regardless, Donovan consistently performs against Mexico.

All that said, I do think he should play in Europe, even though MLS will lose a homegrown hero. Obviously, he needs a challenge; and the Beckham circus is not the right kind of challenge.

Posted by: hoyanick | August 8, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Preki would school all those other coaches! His left foot cannot be denied! USMNT has still not found a replacement...

Posted by: Alan | August 8, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Maybe MLS can turn the reserve division into a fantasy league. Pass a physical, sign a waiver and a check, and you too could play for your favorite MLS team.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 8, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 8, 2008 10:20 AM

Particularly with their normal backup keeper a few thousand miles away.

Posted by: Colm | August 8, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Steve - The word is "zoiNks", not "zoiks".

Posted by: Shaggy | August 8, 2008 10:04 AM

******************************************

That word does not exist in any language...

Posted by: David Byrne | August 8, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@hoyanick-

You call yourself a DC United fan and readily admit that your interest would drop because some other team has lost a player? Not that big a DC fan I guess.

Claudio Reyna and Brian McBride were the driving force behind the 2002 run. The only reason Donovan did well was because nobody expected him to be as productive as he was. Add a little pressure and *poof* Landycakes disappears for the 2006 cup.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | August 8, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The Donovan bashing is perhaps the least attractive aspect of being a US soccer fan.

Eric, there's nothing in your post to agree with. Calling out someone's DCU fan hood because they have respect for a US Nat player is ridiculous.

Posted by: JkR | August 8, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I think its reasonable to be less interested in a league that is populated by rookies and foreign has-beens than in a league that features the USMNT's 26-year old all-time leading scorer.

Posted by: hoyanick | August 8, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Sigi ate all the pies! And the turkeys, and the cheesecakes, and the fatburgers, and . . .

Posted by: Str8Red | August 8, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

There are some good pictures
on the RSL BOZ site of Rimando getting some midfield playing time in the RSL
vs. FCD reserve game if anyone is interested. It also mentions that he went in after a late injury when RSL was out of eligible subs. Good job being ready for anything, Nick! That must have been fun.

Posted by: UnitedFanInTX | August 8, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

In all honesty, I'm not sure that the next two games for the Revs will be that tough at all. Chicago may be an issue, but I don't see DC in the Open Cup being that worrisome unless you guys have Gallardo back.

Posted by: Eugene | August 8, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Because you don't like the way he celebrates goals Donovan is a bad player?

ok

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 8, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

To Virginiafan: Mark Simpson didn't play a game on the field, he played 2 minutes at the end of a game in 2000 as a protest by Rongen against MLS disallowing two call-ups DCU had made to fill holes caused by the Olympic team call-ups.

But my favorite was also in 2000 in the preseason when Rongen dressed himself and asst. Yallop in protest of that silly competition that MLS staged at Lockhart in FLL before teams were fit. League suits came down to the DCU bench during the game to pursuade TR from putting himself into the game. There he was, walking up and down the sideline in a DCU strip (he wore #43, his age) puffing away on a smoke.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 8, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse