Good Morning, Guatemala

The Americans made the front page of Prensa Libre this morning -- a photo of Oguchi Onyewu and Brad Guzan exiting the team bus with a serious-looking security guard in the foreground -- and Page 2 as well with an outline of Guatemalan security measures at the team hotel and stadium. Estadio Mateo Flores will be protected by 100 special forces agents, 1,200 police officers, 1,000 soldiers, 250 transit police, 180 private security guards and one anti-riot squad. (What, no Ponch and Jon?)

Some things you should know about the game:

*The United States lost its first four games in Guatemala, between 1977 and 1988, but is 1-0-3 since then. The 1-0 victory in January 1988 was courtesy of a Jeff Agoos goal.

*Current and former MLSers on the Guatemalan squad: Mario Rodriguez (Columbus), Guillermo Ramirez (Los Angeles), Marco Pappa (Chicago), Gustavo Cabrera (Real Salt Lake), Freddy Garcia (Columbus), Carlos Ruiz (Los Angeles).

More from USA headquarters later.....

By Steve Goff  |  August 19, 2008; 10:22 AM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Belgium-Nigeria, Brazil-Argentina and Chapines
Next: USA Update

Comments

Marco Pappa plays in New York.

Posted by: bob | August 19, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Pappa plays in Chicago. He is #16.

Posted by: GoldenChild | August 19, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say pappas fritas?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

PDF link to the above mentioned headline is here: http://www.prensalibre.com/pl/2008/agosto/19/PDFs/PLMT19082008.PDF

Posted by: swag | August 19, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Anybody else get the feeling we're going into this game with a "let's play not to lose" philosophy?

I'm a bit nervous...

Posted by: Mark | August 19, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

They expecting Bin Laden?

Posted by: DirtyHarry | August 19, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

So nice of the paper to publish the hotel -- I hope they enjoy not sleeping.

Posted by: RK | August 19, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I share your nervousness, Mark. I feel a bad result is coming.

Or I'm just hungry. That might be it.

Jeff Agoos with the game-winner in 1988. I think my mullet was as long as his then.

Speaking of 1988 - top 20 songs of that year:
17. Is This Love, Whitesnake
18. Wild, Wild West, Escape Club
19. Pour Some Sugar On Me, Def Leppard
20. I'll Always Love You, Taylor Dayne

* My favorite

Posted by: Joe Doc (I-66, Exit 15) | August 19, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully USSF has invested in some noise-canceling earphones for the trip...

Posted by: Kevin | August 19, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

According to the paper's map graphic, coins are prohibited.

Posted by: RK | August 19, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I predict a 0-0 draw.

Posted by: United fury | August 19, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully USSF has invested in some noise-canceling earphones for the trip...

Posted by: Kevin | August 19, 2008 11:29 AM

------------------------------------

Is Philips still a sponsor? They make some good ones (I bought a pair at Costco). Hook 'em up with the swag, already!

Posted by: Kenobi | August 19, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm really more interested in the earlier game of the day. Is that wrong or unamerican?

I know it's a World Cup qualifier, but it's so hard to watch Guatemala. They just plays such ugly soccer. They're not even good hackers and divers.

Posted by: TCompton | August 19, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

@Joe Doc: Nothing from Daydream Nation, hands down the best album of that decade? hmm..

Anyways, vote for Ronnie O'Brien's goal for GOTW. It's currently in third which is a complete outrage! For me it's by far the goal of the season so far over Gallardo's.

Posted by: Go United | August 19, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Ponch and John -- great memories of watching them dubbed in Spanish in the mid-80s in Guatemala.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 19, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Coincidentially, that album was also release in 1988! :)

Posted by: GoUnited | August 19, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Go U, I voted for O'Brien's goal, too, but I think Gallardo's is better.

Posted by: RK | August 19, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

You got to roll with it, baby!!

(I used to have the cassette single of that one...)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 19, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TCompton | August 19, 2008 11:42 AM
___________________________________________

Dont forget that this is the same country that beat mexico TWICE!!! Something the US failed to do in the past previous matches with Mexico.

so ugly soccer or not i would re think that comment!!! I wouldn't sleep on Guate!!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 19, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

The US/Guatemala games of recent memory have been brutal hackfests. Total Trash!

That being said, Guatemala is such a beautiful country with such warm people.

Thurston...Watt! Thurston!

Posted by: EssEff | August 19, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

i-270 - you rock!

Posted by: bobf | August 19, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I predict 1-1. US scores first. It will be anyone other than EJ. US dominates possession but little fishy wriggles free for late equalizer.

Posted by: GoldenChild | August 19, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I think Mario Rodriguez can still play in MLS at a high level.

Posted by: United fury | August 19, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Then again, I had an IBM AT clone with a 28K modem and a monochromatic monitor.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 12:16 PM

Nerd!

:-)

Posted by: Beaker | August 19, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

It' be really smart of Gooch to earn a second yellow so that he can make it back in time for the other games.

Marcelo Balboa

""*Onyewu is carrying a yellow card from the previous round and, with another tomorrow, would miss the Cuba match Sept. 6.""

Posted by: delantero | August 19, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Per the pdf Guatemalan newspaper;

""Weapons, umbrellas, bottles, coins, cans are prohibited.""

That only leaves urine bags and batteries, eh?

Posted by: delantero | August 19, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Over/Under for # of times Ruiz falls to the ground untouched: 6

Over/Under for # of times Ruiz complains to the ref: 10

Now, who's taking the Over and who's taking the Under on these?

Posted by: Dsmac | August 19, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Go United, I voted for the Ronnie volley but let's get this straight, it is no way near as good as Gallardo's.

Posted by: Kosh | August 19, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Over/Under for # of times Ruiz falls to the ground untouched: 6

Over/Under for # of times Ruiz complains to the ref: 10

Now, who's taking the Over and who's taking the Under on these?

Posted by: Dsmac | August 19, 2008 12:42 PM

Under and Over, respectively

Posted by: GoUnited | August 19, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Go United indeed!
Day Dream Nation...
Ciccone Youth...
Man someone's making me start memberin' about the time we was memberin', memberin', member?
It's good to know that some folks were ignoring the pop charts. I got to admit I was still diggin' GNR but I was only 12.

Posted by: dadryan | August 19, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't get why everone is so spooked. Granted we should not take a Qualifier and opponent lightly, but the US team has been steadily getting stronger.

I think the chances of doing well are pretty good and certainly better than they were 4 years ago.

Posted by: Nick from Big Soccer | August 19, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Show of hands...who wore the lone glove and/or the shinny mini vest/jacket back in the day?

Posted by: Kosh | August 19, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Yes, alot of security at the Mateo Flores perhaps even overkill but they are right to take no chances. I was at the stadium for the Costa Rica - Guatemala qualifier in 1996 in which over 100 people were crushed to death. It was already 12 years ago... The place has ghosts.

Posted by: sbg | August 19, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Then again, I had an IBM AT clone with a 28K modem and a monochromatic monitor.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 12:16 PM

In 1988, I played out a simulation of the Olympic soccer tournament on my Simon, but the U.S. lost to the Soviet Union blue-blue-red-yellow-blue-green-blue-blue-blue-red in the final.

Posted by: AM | August 19, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I think I do remember getting a sequined(sp?) white glove in my christmas stocking back in like 85?
There's no shame in feeling Thriller, but Tiffany?...

Posted by: dadryan | August 19, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

A bit OT (at least until we get closer to Thursday), but this was the front-page above-the-fold story in this morning's print version of the Post:

Posted by: The Jeff | August 19, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

@dadryan

No embarrassment intended just reminiscing that's all. I was back in Africa back then, but really enjoyed listing to those hits on the radio while playing in my Scrabble Tourneys.

What's with the knock on Tifany?
"Promise mad, promise borken.
Promise made always aren't fair."

Posted by: Kosh | August 19, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

USNT 2
Guate 0

Bank on it.

Posted by: Curtis Spiteri | August 19, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

My girlfriend is hating me this week she from Guatemala. Is the US the only team in the world that gets this much security abroad. I'm thinking Israel would be the same thing?

Posted by: Diego | August 19, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I have to go with Curtis and the others who back a US win. Yes Guate are tough and they took it to Mexico a few times. But the US is one of the dominant forces in CONCACAF right now and but for some shady math was the legitimate top seed from this region in the last world cup. I know we berate our team from time to time (it's not that hard to do when Eddi Johnson is a mainstay) but we have a pretty solid and consistent side that has enough quality easily handle the majority of the CONCACAF sides. I think we are going to have a nice, solid run in the qualifiers and yes I also think that we will win tomorrow night.

Posted by: Kosh | August 19, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone provide game times and tv listings for tomorrow nights DC United game and the USMNT's game?

Posted by: LostIn TheOzone | August 19, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"Estadio Mateo Flores will be protected by 100 special forces agents, 1,200 police officers, 1,000 soldiers, 250 transit police, 180 private security guards and one anti-riot squad."

Are they expecting Eagles fans?

Posted by: Kev | August 19, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Why is Gooch carrying a purse in that photo?

Posted by: buzz | August 19, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

@ buzz

It's a man-purse. Haven't you heard it's been all the rage in Europe. :)

Posted by: Kosh | August 19, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

So, which US player will get the red card? Easy money is on Bradley, but you never know. Anyone know who is reffing? This one will get ugly, for sure.

Posted by: EssEff | August 19, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Are they expecting Eagles fans?

Posted by: Kev | August 19, 2008 1:44 PM

I hear the Black Hole is flying down from Oakland for the match...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see drugs are fine to bring into the stadium, why, they are not on the list are they?

Going to get hardcore on that list of music from 88'. GUNS and MOTHER TRUCKIN ROSES my fellow Bio tches! That band kicked some serious rear back then.

Posted by: Felix | August 19, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LostIn TheOzone | August 19, 2008 1:43 PM

7:30 PM - DCU @ NE (Comcast SportsNet)
10:00 PM - USA @ GUA (ESPN2)

Posted by: NutHouse4life01 | August 19, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I think the only way Gooch could have become more fearsome-looking is by growing a neckbeard. Well done.

Guatemala's team has really been the death of soccer for the past few years. Any negative thing you can think of, both tactically and as individual players, they do it. To paraphrase Silky Johnston, I hope all the bad things in life happen to their team and no one else.

I see an ugly game. Bradley is still, at heart, conservative, and Guatemala's main goal will be to clog the midfield to ensure that neither team has any extended possession. However, we should be able to get our chances if we understand this and become a bit more direct. Their defenders aren't very good as individuals; if we can force them to deal with our players 1v1 (whether it be on the dribble, in the air, or chasing a through ball), we can have some success.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 19, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

7:30 PM - DCU @ NE (Comcast SportsNet)
10:00 PM - USA @ GUA (ESPN2)

Posted by: NutHouse4life01 | August 19, 2008 2:08 PM

11:45 PM - Kev finishes eleventeenth beer

Posted by: Kev | August 19, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EssEff | August 19, 2008 2:02 PM

---------------------------------------

Enrico Wijngaarde is reffing.

Anyone see any of the games mentioned or know anything about him?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Nuthouse, gotta get my prime seat at the bar tomorrow night.

Posted by: LostInSpace | August 19, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

They could have saved a bunch on security if they only hired Chuck Norris.

Posted by: bob | August 19, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Guate sux they're a pathetic side, we roll over them 3-1

Posted by: Locke | August 19, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"Enrico Wijngaarde is reffing.

Anyone see any of the games mentioned or know anything about him?"

**************************************

I remember the name and don't remember anything too controversial from him in SuperLiga. Which probably means he was one of the better refs in that tournament.

He redcarded Santos' Juan Pablo Rodriguez for elbowing (as I recall) Nyassi in the 1st half of the Revs - Santos game:

The other game was Dynamo vs Guadalajara:

The Mediotiempo game articles (click on "Cronica" if you read Spanish) always assess the refs at the end and they can be pretty harsh but weren't too negative about this guy.

Posted by: garbaggio | August 19, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: garbaggio | August 19, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I've always wanted to give one of the players I was coaching the nickname, "Ref." That way I could tell the referees before each game that we have a kid named Ref and that he should ignore it anytime I said that word.

I figured that would give me Carte Blance to scream and yell at the poor guy without consequence.

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 19, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OFFTOPIC | August 19, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

OT -- Pachuca poaching in DC United's back yard.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@Anonymous w/ the link the the Pachuca Story,

That's why MLS needs to settle it's competition standards (single table and cup competitions) and work on being the financial and talent force in the western hemisphere it needs to be rather than worry about impressing Chelsea and Real Madrid all the time.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | August 19, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

US 1-0 on an Onyewu header from a corner in the 71st minute.

Posted by: RK | August 19, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Out of curiosity Tenorio, are you going up to Foxboro, or how will the Post handle tomorrow's game?

Posted by: Section 130 | August 19, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"We had a soccer team in 1988? I never saw any of their games on the web. Then again, I had an IBM AT clone with a 28K modem and a monochromatic monitor."

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 12:16 PM

Rest assured, you did not have 28K modem in 1988. Try 1200 baud, champ.

Posted by: entropy | August 19, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Interesting list Joe Doc (I-66, Exit 15)

Speaking of those 1980s (former stars, has-beens, never-wases) Taylor Dayne randomly showed up at a party I through earlier this summer. Talk about weird.

Posted by: Dr. Rockzo | August 19, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow, interesting story about Pachuca recruiting in Montgomery County, Anonymous.

After SuperLiga and after reading about Edgar Castillo being overlooked by US soccer folks and flourishing South of the Border, I told my 9-year old son that it would be better for him to get a pro career started in Mexico, where he'd make more than $20,000 a year.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 19, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

1-0-3 against Guatemala since 1988?

Haven't we played them more than 4 times since 1988?

Just looking at WC qualifiers, we had a win and a draw each time we played them in '89,'96, '00, and '05. 4 wins, 0 losses, and 4 draws.

We win at home and draw in Guatemala. Let the tradition continue.

Posted by: Pablo Chicago | August 19, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the great reporting Goff!!!

Posted by: Tim F. | August 19, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

@ entropy | August 19, 2008 3:39 PM

I still have a 64K memory.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I still have a 64K memory.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 8:59 PM
..........................................

Many of us are heading in that direction with advancing age.

Posted by: The Jeff | August 20, 2008 6:52 AM | Report abuse

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short, but, 1988:
- the Fugazi EP (before becoming 13 Songs)
- Nation of Millions
- Straight Outta Compton
- Nothing's Shocking

a GREAT year for music when you turned off the radio.

Posted by: e | August 20, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse