Howard vs. Ruiz

I am going to go out on a limb and say that USA goalkeeper Tim Howard will not be sending a Christmas card to Guatemalan pest Carlos Ruiz this year.

Here is what Howard, who got hit by Ruiz in the second half and witnessed the MLS veteran take shots at USA players all night, had to say following the 1-0 victory tonight:

"He caught me. He kicked me straight in the head. With Carlos, you expect that. You know what? He's dirty. I wish I could say otherwise. I've seen it [in MLS]. There is no place for it. It's reckless. It's there for everyone to see. I kind of expect it....

"That's what he does. I think you would rather have him be a man out there and say, 'Look, I don't like you, I am going to kick you.' You can almost respect it in a funny way. He has this way about him. He kicks, he punches, he's an *&%$@#. And he wants to come and be your friend [when he tried to apologize]. There is no place for it."

You can read my full match report, which did not make it into the final print editions because of the time difference and late finish, by clicking here.

By Steve Goff  |  August 21, 2008; 1:40 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: USA-Guatemala
Next: Matchmorning: USA-Brazil

Comments

So happy to see Ruiz leave LA...maybe Ricardo Clark can kick him up to Canada.

Posted by: Danny | August 21, 2008 1:58 AM | Report abuse

Seems like this was Guatemala's gameplan...

1st half - dive like crazy
2nd half - see first half... also, try to injured as many Americans as you can.

Such disrespect for the game, pretty much from top to bottom. I was visibly shaking with rage as the second half wore on.

Ruiz is a feckless thug, plain and simple... and now that his skills have left him, he resorts ever more to his old tricks. I'm SOOOO glad he is finally out of LA so I can stop defending him.

Glad our boys stepped up and showed some emotion. It's time that we get back to that "DON'T TREAD ON ME" mindset.

Posted by: mls-daily | August 21, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Next time Timmy sees Carlos coming, when he's got the ball, just roll forward. If he's gonna take you out, get him first.

Posted by: Stan | August 21, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

I hope Ruiz gets a taste of his own medicine.

That said, I think Guatemala deserves for playing the US tough and outplaying the US for good stretches of the game. If that reckless foul hadn't been committed against Lewis, who knows how this game would have ended.

The USMNT stole two points ... figuring a tie was possible ... thanks to Timmy, Boca, Gooch and Beasley.

Here's the lineup I would like to see against Cuba:

......Altidore (if healthy or Johnson).......Donovan.......

...........................Adu..............

Beasley.............................Dempsey

.........................Edu..............

Pearce......Gooch.......Boca......Spector if available (Hejduk)

.................Howard............

Posted by: Tim F. | August 21, 2008 2:31 AM | Report abuse

Guatemala is a dirty dirty team, but you can't really blame them. Can you imagine all the pent up anger you'd carry around if your country had never qualified for a single world cup and they were constantly reminded of their inferiority by their much superior Mexican neighbors.

Posted by: Locke | August 21, 2008 2:55 AM | Report abuse

Oh please Goff,

Don't give me all this whining about those mean Guatemalans. We won... lets move on. I think it was a sloppy game. The US will eventually qualify, but the team will be lucky to win a game when they play real competition during the next world cup.

Posted by: sandog | August 21, 2008 3:17 AM | Report abuse

attaboy tim.

Posted by: jerad | August 21, 2008 3:26 AM | Report abuse

the american side showed some moxy tonight. that said, Guatemala is never going to qualify if this is the game they always try to play.

Poor luck for Honduras in their match against Mexico. They played a better game for 75 minutes...

By the way, why was the ESPN broadcast so dark? Were not all the lights working or something?

Posted by: uniter | August 21, 2008 3:36 AM | Report abuse

Goff, why aren't you whining about how MLS should be looking into a fine for Ruiz' behavior because Ruiz is an MLS employee and represents the league when/wherever...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2008 4:23 AM | Report abuse

The above post from "anonymous" is kind of scary. Imagine supporters of that humpbacked troll haunting the interweb late at night. Spooky.

Posted by: pigman sweet | August 21, 2008 5:52 AM | Report abuse

I see no reason why the players should not be justifiably angry about the tactics and disregard for safety and the game used by Guatemala last night, sandog. Last night was a shamockery.

Posted by: sitruc | August 21, 2008 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Last night was standard qualifying in CONCACAF. I am proud of the way the players handled themselves. What sometimes get lost in this discussion is that this is the FIRST TIME we have beaten guatemala at home in the WCQs. The FIRST time. And this was a team that was feeling pretty good about themselves.

Posted by: pigman sweet | August 21, 2008 6:44 AM | Report abuse

Germany-Japan anybody?

Posted by: sitruc | August 21, 2008 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Chapines asesinos, que coman mierda

Posted by: Eugene | August 21, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Ya know I just love John Harkes - Mr. No-nonsense. Last night he said what every none Guatamelain thinks - Ruis is lazy dirty player who -thank goodness - is on his decline!!

Great game boys!

Posted by: bobf | August 21, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm nearly decapitated, close to having a career and life-threatening injury from perhaps the most wildly reckless and intentional clothesline/flying headbutt in recent soccer history...but you know...let's not mention that in the newspapers...you know...let's have four or five more paragraphs about the color of the seats and the T-shirt vendors...

I'll be fine...

Posted by: Eddie Lewis | August 21, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

What a dirtbag Ruiz is. Man Tim Howard said it right, what an $#@!!

Posted by: Dirtbag | August 21, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Germany-Japan anybody?

Posted by: sitruc | August 21, 2008 6:46 AM
===========================================

Goff just started a new thread to cover Olympic action. Also, Steinbog plans to be back for the in-game commentary.

(Germany leads 2-nil late, after being held scoreless by Japan well into the second half.)

Posted by: tri-village | August 21, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Surprised to see no mention of the fact that our forwards once again failed to show up on the stat sheet. Wonder where the goal tally stands between our defenders and our forwards since WC '06?

Posted by: Mickey | August 21, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

My wife usually doesn't like it when I watch soccer, she says it's boring. But last night she kept sitting up in bed going "He kicked him!" or "What a $#%^ing faker!". She would then turn to me and say, "Is it always like this?" She was also amazed at how it looked like they were playing on a high school field that was so dark in the corners. I told her not all important soccer games are played in places like Wembley. Haha.

Posted by: Steve | August 21, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Excuse me for pointing out the obvious here but the USSF needs to file a complaint about that player that took Eddie Lewis out. He needs to have a really LONG ban from qualifications. He sized Eddie Lewis up and leveled him which could have been career ending or life threatening. >CAREER ENDING OR LIFE THREATENING!!!

I love the way the US played coming back like that and showing some fight. That said the game was getting away from us for most of the night. Guatemala was attacking in waves and our attack... well our attack simply sucked. We should have peppered that terrible Guatemalan goalie with shots as he obviously can't handle the heat. Can't wait for the return leg for these hackers.

Posted by: Felix | August 21, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Eddie Lewis already have a cracked skull a few years ago?

Posted by: Felix | August 21, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2008 4:23 AM
-------------------------------------------
Obviously not Goff but maybe no one has yet to suggest that Ruiz should get a fin because: He didn't strike a non player (like Blanco). How 'bout that?

Posted by: yankiboy | August 21, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I am not going to talk about the THUGS as that will only pi$$ me off and frankly I am not in the mood.

Big Bradley knows this region, he understands what is needed to win and/or steal points. I was one of the many who b*tched about his selection, but I don't think I will be doing that in a while.

Jozy, Fredy, and even Cooper would have been eaten alive out there. I appreciate Bradley's understanding and appreciation for the bigger picture by picking the squad he did.

He probably won't get much love for pulling this off, but I think he did a wonderful job here - get us the points, protect our talent and harden the vets some more.

Oh and lest I forget....F the Guate Nat Team!! Triple F to Carlos Ruiz - now I fully understand why Clark did what he did. I am not a violent person, bt all I am saying is that I understand now. F him and someone needs to dump his overpriced a$$ out of MLS.

Now I am ticked again!!

Posted by: Kosh | August 21, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Our boys got 3 points in a very hard place to play against a undeniable, regional power. I'm not gonna be greedy. Mission accomplished. It's not easy going down to Guatemala and getting a decent result.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 21, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I hate teams that play like Guatemala. It's disgusting to see them act like a bunch of children - dirty, thuggish children at that.

Posted by: Gobsmack | August 21, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Ruiz got his just rewards for his dirty play - he got shipped from sunny LA to the plastic turf of Toronto.

Posted by: Vinnie Jones | August 21, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe the players from Guatemala and the coach. They complained every call against them. I don't know how many times they yelled at the referee, who by the way, didn't seem bother by this. Lewis almost lost his head when he got hit by that animal, and then Ruiz kicked Howard after he caught the ball. Ruiz and some of his teammates shouldn't be allowed to play soccer. Dirty idiots!

Posted by: John | August 21, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Last night's USA center back pairing (Boca/Onyewu)
career caps: 94
career goals: 14

Last night's USA forward pairing (Ching/Dempsey)
career caps: 71
career goals: 18

That's downright frightening.

Posted by: Ben | August 21, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Lewis and Pearce were terrible all night. Lewis's injury was a blessing in disguise. Tim Howard took the most foolhardy, grossly stupid risk ever by hamming up Ruiz's head-kick and letting go of the ball.

By all means, ham it up, but don't let go of the damn ball. Everyone (everyone) saw that you weren't really hurt. Tim put the entire game in the hands of a highly suspect referee who could easily have let the goal stand. And then for Tim to go and get a yellow card in the aftermath, when we had no more subs, and a yellow for delay of game on a goal kick was always a possibility, Tim was recklessly foolish.

Posted by: Brendan | August 21, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Now I am ticked again!!

Posted by: Kosh | August 21, 2008 8:38 AM
-------------------------------------------
Much respect to Guatemala. It was a rough game, no doubt.

As far as Ruiz goes, I can't stand him. Despise him. But Rico Clark lost his freakin mind. You can't commit assault & battery just beacause you freakin can't stand a guy. Ruiz included. Rico was wrong. There was absolutely no justification for what he did. He paid the big price (reputation and ca$h) and hopefully he is the wiser for it.
I still have mad love for Rico but that was a completely unacceptable meltdown.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 21, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

The biggest diver wasn't even Ruiz -- it was Ramirez (although he disappeared in the 2nd half).

Posted by: RK | August 21, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

My favorite was Harkes in the post-match commentary saying he'd like to see the defenders protect their keeper a little more -- basically I think he was implying that in his day, Agoos would have have put the Fish on the turf and it would have been well worth the card.

Posted by: bbarrie | August 21, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see more of a threat up top, too. But I actually thought Ching was decent under the circumstances. He did an ok job holding the ball, and I think he struck a pretty nice shot from 25 yards out or so.

Ruiz was extremely lucky last night to escape retaliation. After he clipped Howard there was only about 10 minutes left and Mastro was already carrying a yellow. I expect we'll look for some payback in game 2.

I'm hoping Eddie Lewis is ok today. Anybody else surprised to see him walking out of the stadium?

Posted by: jva | August 21, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

jva, that wasn't until the last 10. Before that, Ching didn't do much.

You could see Dempsey was not happy about being pulled...

Posted by: RK | August 21, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Here is what Carver said about Schelotto earlier this season. Boy will he be surprised when he gets a daily dose of Ruiz. Ruiz is a first rate no class hack.

""They've come to spoil the game," Carver said. "They've come to take their time. They've come to fall over and dive all over the park, and I think that's what they did."
"Today, we (saw) a fellow professional diving all over the park. Is there anything going to be done about it?"

Posted by: GLD123 | August 21, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

@ yankiboy

You're absolutely right, but I am just too ticked off right now to let logic get in the way of a good spouting off at he mouth.

Great effort and even better result, yet somehow every time I recall what went down in that game, I get angry. This is the strangest win ever for me.

Posted by: Kosh | August 21, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

The forwards need to be more ruthless with their approach to putting the ball in the net.

Although I'm not the biggest fan of Dempsey, he's the only forward in the USMNT pool that has a generally ruthless mentality - albeit without the stat's to always back it up.

Posted by: Mickey | August 21, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I think the ref did a pretty good job, actually. I know that's not a popular sentiment, and of course he missed a few things, but he got the important things (like the flying challenge, you needed to watch it in slo-mo to see how bad it really was, he took his time and drew a straight red. frankly, I think that was also a make up for sending 'Dolo off, it looked to me like a first yellow and that he forgot he'd already booked him. Still, in bad conditions, against a diving, flopping, whining team, the ref did a pretty good job of swallowing his whistle.

Posted by: northzax | August 21, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Yankiboy you're wrong. Ruiz deserved everything Clark gave him.

Frankly I would hope USSF secretly puts a bounty on Ruiz in MLS. Break his leg $100K. End his career, doubled. Invert his kneecap in the process tripled and you get a nice contract extention.

Don't think a guy like Serioux would take that offer? :D

****
Ok in all seriousness now, why can't CONCACAF ever facking get it right and just ban players and/or federations from qualifying for pulling this kind of crap?

The Guats have been a disgrace to CONCACAF for years but nothing is ever done to them.

Posted by: Matthai | August 21, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

northzax, I agree. He kept the game in check. There was a bad offsides call on Guate, but that was on the linesman. He didn't give either team anything that was dangerous or near the box.

Posted by: RK | August 21, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

ATTN: Ruiz is a flopper and a cheap player and he always has been. This is not new.

Diving on the part of these teams is not new either.

The US team needed to show some more composure and not lose their head.

Cheers to Bocanegra, who played his arse off all game and got the game winner.

Posted by: delantero | August 21, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I don't believe anyone has yet posted a link to the Post stringer's report on the United game:

Posted by: tri-village | August 21, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Diving on the part of these teams is not new either.

The US team needed to show some more composure and not lose their head.

Cheers to Bocanegra, who played his arse off all game and got the game winner.

Posted by: delantero | August 21, 2008 9:36 AM

They won, without conceding, on the road. End of story when it comes to performance. They kept their heads, as shown by the win.

And cheating, diving, hacking and overall unsportsmanlike play should never be accepted or overlooked. That's a big reason why it's been allowed to be part of the game in certain parts of the world. It must be properly called out.

Posted by: Kev | August 21, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I'll disagree about the ref, I thought he was a disgrace. He allowed a WC Qualifier to devolve into a game I didn't recognize. Yes, he saw the Red card, kudos.

But to have the end result of the Ruiz - Howrd incident be a yellow to Howard, and to me, he has to turn in his badge.

The first yellow to Dolo was ridiculous. The second should have never got that far. I thought the Guat was trying to take his kidney. 3 visible Guat fouls before Dolo reached out from the ground he had been deposited on.

The Chapines beat the hell out of Ching on every high ball, and Ching got called for undercutting? What?

The AR's couldn't rescue him either. They were as bad.

My impression was that the Chapines would kick the US three timnes in a row, then when the US won a 50-50 challenge it was a foul and a talking to. Absurd.

Posted by: JkR | August 21, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Nope. That first yellow to Dolo is a no-brainer. I know I just saw it recently, too -- you can't do that, and he knows that.

I actually think Ruiz pulled up and just grazed Howard -- and Howard, knowing full-well Ruiz's reputation, took wise advantage of it.

Posted by: RK | August 21, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

The ref had a poor match, especially regarding Ruiz. Early on, Carlos put a hit on Pearce that merited a yellow -- and a message for the rest of the match. None given. The late kick on Howard deserved a yellow. None given. In between, the ref let Ruiz run wild. No ref should allow Carlos to be Carlos.

Guatemala isn't a rich nation, but certainly it could afford to properly light its national stadium for TV.

Yes, definitely a strange match for USA. They looked a step slow and confused at times. At the end, though, Bradley's squad gave us our first WQ qualifying win in Guatemala.

Posted by: Running Cloud | August 21, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

They may have looked a step slow, but those wingers were fast -- until Hejduk stepped in.

Posted by: RK | August 21, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Comcast SportsNet is replaying last night's United-Revs game at noon today:

Posted by: tri-village | August 21, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Ruiz is a punk, but very effective...

Posted by: GoUnited | August 21, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Wells hurt his big toe kicking the bucket in Olsen's basement?

Posted by: dadryan | August 21, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Tim F - I like your line-up for Cuba, but can't stop laughing...

I would like to see Adu, Beasley and Dempsey in the midfield with two strikers in front of them as much as you, but there is NO WAY Bob Bradley abandons his beloved empty bucket. Until the substitutions, Mastroeni and M. Bradley were sitting back, hardly ever crossing the middle of the field. I cannot remember a recent BB match with five players attack oriented. And I don't see M Bradley not starting. Probably will need to take out Adu for M Bradley, or Adu to the right side for Dempsey (he looked pissed last night).

As for Ruiz, what I would like to see done to him reminds me of the infamous Roy Keane story against that Man City player. Should teach him.

Posted by: crew fan in dc | August 21, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

What Tim is ticked about is that he had the ball and Ruiz, instead of jumping over Tim to avoid him, dragged his leg into him. THAT my friends is not acceptible, its what Adu got a card for in the Olympics, it just should not be allowed.

Posted by: Felix | August 21, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

That was not a bad idea on the chip...

Posted by: RK | August 21, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

let us not forget Guillermo Ramirez, the ex Gal, who was diving and fouling mercilessly as well.

Posted by: lprevolution | August 21, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Why has no one commented on the two yellows Cherundolo that were both so stupid and unnecessary? The first one should not have been a card, but you don't slam the ball in anger like that. And the second was one of the most foolish things I've seen on a pitch. Yes, he was being fouled, but come on, you don't trip the guy up with your hands. That was a clear yellow and, just like that, you've killed you team.

The Guatemalans hack and clip and dive and complain and make a meal of everything. But that is the way it is with most of our opponents in CONCACAF. While it ruins the aesthetics and flow of the match, as long as the ref is competent and our boys don't get hurt I could care less. But generally the refs are not competent and we end up limping and bloodied.

The foul on Eddie Lewis was just horrible. I immediately knew that was a red. He came late with his elbow up and, more importantly, he obviously knew that Lewis could not see him coming. And for the head coach to say that the ref gave him the red to "even things out for the Americans" is disgraceful.

In terms of the actual match, I really felt that, contrary to popular opinion, we played poorly, particularly in the final third. Lewis gave the ball away constantly, Ching was ineffective for the first 70 minutes, Donovan was checked out for long stretches, and CD wasn't making it happen. I know they were packing men behind the ball, but players of that quality should be able to at least not turn the ball over like they did.

But, in the end, it was a dogfight and I have great respect for our sticking together and gutting it out.

Posted by: ABitOffsides | August 21, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Did Guatemala forget to pay its electric bill? I watched the game on ESPN2 and it looked like they were playing in the dark ...

Posted by: rb | August 21, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Do people and players in Central America actually think that is quality soccer? Choppy, sloppy play with constant referee involvement? It was pathetic and so frustrating to watch. Constant diving and fouling -- somewhat on both sides. I can't believe that Ramirez (or Rodriguez?) didn't get carded for a few of his tackles. That was one of the worst soccer matches I've ever seen. Guatemala should be ashamed of themselves.

Ruiz = #*!@&$

Donovan, Ching, Lewis = Oh, did they play last night? I didn't notice they were on the field.

Thank goodness Lewis got hurt. It was so pathetic watching him try to play.

Posted by: soccerstars | August 21, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Man all this hostility over one man. Tsk Tsk. Did we not forget that all these players get a couple of thousands of dollars to take an elbow in the face. Come on people. Howard? he is use to whining like allways. He could have used another kick in the head to fix his left to right tick he has going on. Lol (joke)

any way,
man people some of you are very harsh.."break his leg 100k" geez. Its just a game the US won and move on. I know very the same people are goona be talking trash once again when Mexico will face the US.
guatemala has chances of qualify if they get their act together and play cohesive.
The US win was a lucky one. Becuase many of you state the greatness of the US squad so why didnt they win by a bigger margin. eh?

Peace,
#@#&^%ers

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 21, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if there is video of this match online?

Posted by: JTE | August 21, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness Lewis got hurt. It was so pathetic watching him try to play.

Posted by: soccerstars | August 21, 2008 12:41 PM

Wow, this is in poor taste.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

US fans aren't complaining about the OBVIOUS hand ball by Pearce either.

9 out of 10 that's a PK and put's us in a very, very deep hole

Posted by: delantero | August 21, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Goff, how dim was the lighting seem inside Mateo Flores?

And any report on Eddie Lewis' condition would be appreciated. 2 World Cup cycles ago Lewis was rightfully vilified for throwing a weak elbow and getting tossed against the Guats at RFK.

On the goal, it looked like the Guatemalan defenders focused all their attention on Gooch (who had forced the corner kick with his previous header) and Ching and forgot about Bocanegra.

JkR - you are pretty clueless in your referee critiques. He got the big calls right - 2nd yellow to Cherundolo, unintentional handball by Pearce, expulsion for the reckless challenge that injured Lewis, and a yellow card to Howard for coming after Ruiz after that incident was settled.

The last 2 are easy to criticize for those of us who saw multiple slow motion replays but the ref, with some help from his ARs, makes the call with no such benefit.

This game was very chippy but not that much more different than Concacaf road qualifiers have been in the past. Unspectacular soccer but still an excellent result for the USMNT.

Posted by: garbaggio | August 21, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if there is video of this match online?

Posted by: JTE | August 21, 2008 12:45 PM
==========================================

Interestingly, ESPN360 is carrying a replay of their 'Match of the Day' Wales v Georgia, rather than the US - Guat clash.

Posted by: JkR | August 21, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

delantero, I think he let it go because the ball wasn't going anywhere, anyway. Now, if had completely blocked it straight down, we might have a different story.

Posted by: RK | August 21, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Garbaggio, I posted my comments earlier, and stand by them. Can we not disagree without the 'clueless' reference, or will that be the standard from here on out?

Posted by: JkR | August 21, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Peace,
#@#&^%ers

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 21, 2008 12:43 PM

I agree on that point. They had the chance last time out. Of course they have to get out of the group first.

This one is in the books. Now on to the next opponent.

Peace right back at you,
#@#&^%er...

Posted by: yankiboy | August 21, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR | August 21, 2008 12:59 PM

************************************

I read your posts in both the in-game and post-game threads. The refereeing was not perfect but your comments seemed ill-informed, biased and emotional.

I haven't rewatched the game but from what I saw the ref got the big calls right - without the benefit of replay. In the past, some Concacaf refs have seemed intimidated in front of an intense crowd and have seemed to shade their calls in favor of the home team. This ref did not.

Posted by: garbaggio | August 21, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"ill-informed, biased and emotional."

Right back at ya, sport. I wrote what I saw. I have no issue with you feeling otherwise. I take issue with your choice of words. I look forward to your further analysis without attempt to belittle those you disagree with. Surely your analysis stands on it's own?

Posted by: JkR | August 21, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if there is video of this match online?

Posted by: JTE | August 21, 2008 12:45 PM
_________________________________________

Not sure kid
but if your not near a tv
check
justin.tv and search their sports channel alot of dudes post up alot of live games

just a note

a side note:

wud up yankiboy!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 21, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

what's up with the couple comments here claiming Goff was "whining" about this?

all he did was report what Howard said

Posted by: Anonymous | August 21, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"" I think he let it go because the ball wasn't going anywhere, anyway""

A) Looked to me like the ball was headed toward the six with a Guate, a US defender and Howard in the area. It would have been a toss up . .

B) We've all seen weaker, less obvious handballs ...

If I remember correctly, one cakl caused us to lose @ Costa Rica on a cross in which our defender had his hands by his side.

C) IMO, it was a bad, but fortunate, non-call.

Posted by: delantero | August 21, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

I'm very confused. Thank you for your match story -- I enjoyed the local flavor reporting that couldn't be had by watching the game on TV. My question, though, is why you were there to do this? Too late to make it in the final print edition? So, what was the point? Has WaPo decided to send reporters all the way to Central America to do reporting strictly for the web site? Very interesting, if so.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | August 21, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Now -- my comments on the game. I' have to say the ref did a decent job. He could've called the handball on Pearce, but I think unintentional handballs are flagged far too often. Since this was in the box, it would have been seriously unwarranted to call a foul -- not worthy of a penalty shot. The one call that seemed blatantly wrong was the blown offsides call that squelched a Guatemalan attack in the second-half. I think folks are way overreacting here about the chippiness. While the incident with Lewis was a reckless challenge, the knocking of heads must have been unintentional. Ditto with Ruiz and Howard. Perhaps Ruiz could have pulled his leg out of the way -- or not, since it happened so quickly -- but he certainly didn't kick Howard. Not to defend the floppiest player in the MLS, but there was no foul there. Howard overreacted.

As for the actual play of the US side, count me among the crowd that was underwhelmed by Ching, Lewis, Bradley, and Donovan. I thought Dempsey did well considering he had no help up front -- not that he stood out, but I find it hard to blame him. Bradley made some good defensive plays and then immediately gave the ball away with terrible passes. Edu looked quite good. I can't wait unitl he gets regular action. Beasley looked great, considering the injury he suffered not so long ago. Mastroeni was the best American field player, with Bocanegra close behind. Gooch played pretty well, too -- as well as I've ever seen him play, though the opposition was underwhelming.

The best American was Tim Howard. I've never seen Howard look so cool and confident. This bodes very well. He may yet emerge as one of the game's best at his position. All-in-all, I guess one can't quibble too much with a win. The best the US team has looked in WCQ in C.A. This also bodes well.

Speaking of goalies, can DCU get Hope Solo?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | August 21, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Ruiz is a dog for kicking Tim. He always does something mean.

Welcome back to MLS, Eddie Lewis. Hope you weren't too badly injured.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 21, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

did anyone else notice that the Guate defender who left Boca unmarked took a "check swing" kick at Boca after the goal?

Argue all you want about the non-penalty call and the offside call in the first half, or the red cards in the second half ... but how can Guate's "Primitivo" coach complain that their goal was annulled? That is insane. You kick a guy in the head, he drops the ball and your guy puts it in the goal. is there anyone who can honestly say they were surprised that didn't count? Still, the would-be scorer whined as the other Guates also did all night. it was sad to watch such poor players act so entitled to calls in their favor.

also funny how the Guate coach and press rip the Surinamese for coming from a substandard country. Your frickin stadium lights don't work, you've never gotten a whiff of the World Cup finals, FIFA ranks you #100 and most of your guys are MLS rejects -- yet you look down on another country's standard of football? I think Guate football is closer to Surinamese level than to US soccer.

Posted by: furia yanqui | August 21, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, any respect for Guatemalen football I had was lost last night. I had never seen such an disrespect for the game, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Posted by: Red Devil | August 21, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Question for readers:

I'm headed to Bradenton, FL on September 1st and 2nd. Does anyone know if any of the national teams will be training there during those days? And is it open to visitors?

Posted by: Pete | August 21, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if Guatemala will send our lights back to RFk?

Posted by: boda united | August 22, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Howard complaines to much jus shut up and play plus he didnt even kick him he lifted his leg up tryd to avoid the the kick if he wanted to kick him we would of done it better.ooo but ricardo clark kicking ruiz on the ground was nothin oooyea man shut ur mouth stupid american play the dam game,plus the game was wack concacaf is wack trini is in charge n the guy sendin carribean reffs racists.lookd like the game was payed for by somone.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 23, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Hello my friend, your site is very good! http://ivzaaxrinuilor.com

Posted by: ebbxxrwowq | August 27, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Hello my friend, your site is very good! http://vdbcqdibfz.com

Posted by: yvfhgfjner | August 28, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse