In the Post.....

Lots of futbol in today's Washington Post. Click. Read. Enjoy.

*Setting the scene in Guatemala City for tonight's World Cup qualifier (10 p.m. ET, ESPN2, Galavision).

*D.C. United and its new Liberian-Swiss goalkeeper travel to Foxborough (7:30 p.m. ET, Comcast SportsNet).

*Argentina blasts Brazil to reach the Olympic final against Nigeria on Friday.

*Dan Steinberg's behind-the-scenes look at the mayhem in trying to see Argentina and Brazil play.

*As an added bonus from the USSF Web site, a look at Virginia Beach's Angela Hucles, who, in the absence of Abby Wambach, is producing goals at an unexpected rate. The USA women will face Brazil for the Olympic gold tomorrow morning (9 a.m. ET, USA Network and Olympic Soccer Channel).

I plan to explore Guatemala a bit before tonight's match and probably won't rejoin you until late in the day. Cheers!

By Steve Goff  |  August 20, 2008; 8:47 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Olympics , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fielding a Problem
Next: Matchnight: United-Revs

Comments

Gotta love SI and the Washington Post.

Excellent futbol coverage, guys. Thanks!!

Vamos United!!!

Posted by: Smitty | August 20, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

great articles, both. Talk about throwing Wells under the bus though [insert political joke here]! I'm happy that we have a seemingly better keeper - let's hope he keeps the shutout going!

Posted by: downtown | August 20, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Steve's article fired me up even more for tonight's match. Thank God there is some proper international sport taking place at the same time as the Olympic TV show.

Posted by: Kev | August 20, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

The Olympics aren't "proper"? If you hate the Olympics you must REALLY hate the World Cup!

Posted by: JDO | August 20, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
Any word on when tickets for the qualifier against Cuba at RFK Stadium go on sale?

Posted by: Tony | August 20, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

sorry, how can you hate the olympics? it's two weeks every four years of watching things you never watch otherwise (come on now, when's the last time you caught some synchronized diving on CBS?)

Posted by: northzax | August 20, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 2nd | August 20, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, the Olympics are a farce for me - I'm not going to pretend to care about swimming and gymnastics because NBC tells me to. Call me bitter (and congrats to the fantastic athletes), but it's not my cup of tea.

JDO - And why on earth would you think I dislike the World Cup? Did I not just say how excited I was about tonight's match? And by the way, the US is already participating in the World Cup - the tournament in the sumer of 2010 is the World Cup Finals. Which I also can't wait for! :-)

Posted by: Kev | August 20, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 2nd | August 20, 2008 9:42 AM

Already are, via Sams Army

Posted by: Kev | August 20, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Kev - Uh...I'm sure you don't the the World Cup. I was just drawing a comparison between the big TV event nature that is common to both events.

And it sounds like you have issues with NBC, not the Olympics. Millions of people around the world aren't watching swimming and gymnastics because NBC tells them to. Isn't it possible that most US viewers have other motivation as well?

Posted by: JDO | August 20, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

What's more corrupt -- the IOC or FIFA? Discuss.

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Ooops - "I'm sure you don't dislike the World Cup" that should have said above.

Posted by: JDO | August 20, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Can't say I'm surprised that Hucles is good after watching her brother play some years ago as a youth player. He was quality (and I'm assuming he still is).

Sorry that you feel that way about the Olympics, Kev. I'm literally losing sleep to watch with my wife and kids. Great bonding time in an otherwise hectic schedule. But I can also see why all the TV packaging could drive a guy crazy -- not to mention mask the Chinese government has put on the whole thing.

Oops, I did it again...

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 20, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Joe, me too...glad that the US men's soccer team is out, so that I don't have to wake up early.

Nice report out today about how China ran 3-month military camps to train everyone for the ceremonies.

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

========================

Totally agree JD. Not just the Phelps mania either. The NBC interviews with hurdler Lolo Jones and sprinter Sanya Richards last night were powerful lessons in how to handle crushing defeat with grace, even though NBC did milk them both.

Great article in today's Post by Sally Jenkins on Shawn Johnson's beam routine -- "stick your landings as if you're driving nails into it with your feet." I don't even like gymnastics, really, but who forgets Kerri Strug, even 12 years on?

Posted by: OWNTF | August 20, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm so sick of women's volleyball, though.

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

What's more corrupt -- the IOC or FIFA? Discuss.

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 9:53 AM
================
If you want me to discuss this, you have to pay me first.

The Olympics are a great tool for (1) surreptitiously teaching your kids geography and superficial vexillology and (2) trying to figure out what sports might interest them - although they usually lose interest after 3 or 4 [pause for comedic effect] hundred dollars.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 20, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

RK,

So am I. I think they implemented a no close-up shot rule for the Olympics!

Posted by: strago | August 20, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Keep your wallet close to you at all times, Goff.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 20, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I guess RK has something against tall women in tight shorts with well toned thighs...

Posted by: Eric B | August 20, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The Post coverage of poor Olympic attendance last week drew many comments from people falling over themselves to declare how much they hate the Olympics (although, ahem, they were interested enough to read the article and then comment on it . . . ) The Gringo household loves the Olympics. I could watch pole vaulting for hours, especially that Russian babe.

Posted by: gringo | August 20, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Hey! Anyone know what channels and or times the other WCQ's are on?
You know England and those other European games? Maybe they are on @ 300 this afternoon?
East Coast time that is.
Thanks

Posted by: dadryan | August 20, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

To start your day of action off...at noon...Kazahkstan v Andorra!

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@OWNTF: Spot on, my friend. You spend four years to run a race that lasts seconds, you're expected to win -- and you hit a hurdle and almost finish last. Then you go on TV a few moments later and say, I messed up and didn't deserve to win this race.

Great teaching moment -- and I'm thankful she had USA on her shirt.

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 20, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Hey! Anyone know what channels and or times the other WCQ's are on?
You know England and those other European games?

Posted by: dadryan | August 20, 2008 10:57 AM

Just friendlies in Europe today, other than the big Kazahkstan v Andorra match.

England are on Setanta Closed Circuit - 20 clams

Posted by: Kev | August 20, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I-270 --

Wow, simply wow. Show me any other place where someone uses "vexillology" in a conversational context....

Wow...

Posted by: 22206 | August 20, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

03:00 PM - 05:00 PM
Germany v. Belgium--GOL
05:00 PM - 07:00 PM
Italy v. Austria--GOL

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Thanks RK, guess they're just friendlies,but hey...
UHhhhhh Go Kazahkstan!
Go USA!
Go United!

Thansk for the Update as well Steve, hope you have some fun before the game!

Posted by: dadryan | August 20, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Oooh my bad - FSC have England today - nice!

Posted by: Kev | August 20, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

From Les Carpenter's Live chat:

I-270, Exit 1: Thanks for the article on Hope Solo and the US Women's soccer team. How does the rest of the team feel about the final? Redemption? Just another match?

Les Carpenter: I find this women's team fascinating because it is very different from the group we're so accustomed to seeing. The players on this team are rather chippy, they know they are unknown and not nearly as loved as their predecessors and, of course, that bothers them. I get the sense they are feeding off those negative feelings. Strangely, they also seem more cohesive since their best scorer, Abby Wambach went down just before the Olympics.

So it's hard to get a read on exactly what they think about this game. I don't get the sense they have revenge in mind as much as they just want to win a gold medal and prove to the folks back home that they can be America's darlings too. Hope Solo did a great job of deflecting the controversy from last year's Brazil game and channel it into those same feelings of unity and togetherness.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 20, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

03:00 PM - 05:00 PM
England v. Czech Republic--FSC, FSE

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Mexico-Honduras is at 9 PM on Telemundo

Posted by: Glenn | August 20, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

"If I had to guess, I'd say they're a little relieved to not have Wambach on the field right now. Her absence has allowed the rest of them to rise a little more."

Wow.

Thanks I-270, Exit 1.

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 20, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The Olympics took a hit for me when the Soviet Union crumbled. The '92 Olympics were interesting, but mainly for the Dream Team.

Aside from Phelps' 8 golds,the only other nice thing about the '08 Olympics has been being able to watch it in HD for the first time. I'd imagine that in '12, I won't be as engaged.

Regardless, I still want the US to do well. It's just not the same when we're not fighting the Commies of the Soviet era. The Chinese are good, but I have more pity for them than I do anything else.

Posted by: TCompton | August 20, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

OT...I don't know why the AP can't get the story right -- they are saying 45 dead, when Spanish press is reporting 140.

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Help. Can it possibly be right that NBC is only showing the women's final tomorrow morning at 9 on their Soccer Channel and Telemnundo (which Comcast DC doesn't carry)?!? Even though they've got the bronze match on MSNBC??

Posted by: dcca | August 20, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

dcca - US Soccer says that the gold medal match is on USA as well...

U.S. Women vs. Brazil Women
Live on USA Network and NBC Olympic Soccer Channel
08/21/2008 9:00 AM ET

Posted by: Kev | August 20, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Side note: Clavijo has resigned as the Rapids coach

Posted by: Jeremy | August 20, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

What's United record on field turf this season?

I know we had abysmal losses of 4-0 at Salt Lake and 4-1 at Red Bulls, plus a 2-2 tie at Revs earlier.

So that'd be 10 goals against, 3 for on turf?

Posted by: delantero | August 20, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Now that Wells is on the Bench does this means that Ben Olsen kicks him out of his basement?????

Posted by: Just a thought | August 20, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Fernando Clavijo is resigning as coach of the Rapids effective immediately he confirmed this morning prior to practice.

Clavijo, 52, will inform the team of his decision and endorse assistant coach Gary Smith, who lead the team in Saturday's 2-1 victory over the Kansas City Wizards while Clavijo was in Uruguay attending to a family medical emergency.

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Another pretty funny take on Argentina-Brazil, from Grant Wahl.

O Jogo Feio (the Ugly Game)

[Kobe's coming to see Marta, not the US team. More fuel for the fire.]

Posted by: OWNTF | August 20, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

"As for beach volleyball -- my wife somehow always finds a chore for me to do when that's on..."

And I thought I was the only one. Thank God for TiVO!

Posted by: Gburg | August 20, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

First word (Talksport) is that David Beckham is in the starting 11 for England tonight. Case anyone is wondering about Goldenballs.

Posted by: Kev | August 20, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Kev. Because here's the Nbcolympics.com listing for the nine to noon slot on USA tomorrow:

Multiple Sports
Table tennis: Men's third-round and women's quarterfinal matches. Also, semifinal canoe-kayak runs from Shunyi Olympic Park.

Wouldn't want to be missing those semifinal canoe runs, now would we?

Posted by: dcca | August 20, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

How good is Andorra's potassium?

Posted by: ff | August 20, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

A commentary on the future of Olympic men's soccer:

Posted by: The Jeff | August 20, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Kazakhstan 3-0 Andorra

Great success!

Posted by: Borat | August 20, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Anything in The Post about Payne resigning at the end of the season?

Posted by: WishfuI Insider | August 20, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Side note: Clavijo has resigned as the Rapids coach

Posted by: Jeremy | August 20, 2008 12:46 PM

=========================

Source please.

Posted by: Mickey | August 20, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

ide note: Clavijo has resigned as the Rapids coach

Posted by: Jeremy | August 20, 2008 12:46 PM

=========================

Source please.

Posted by: Mickey | August 20, 2008 1:31 PM

=========================

8 posts up is a link to Denverpost.com

Posted by: JkR | August 20, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

What's more corrupt -- the IOC or FIFA? Discuss.

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 9:53 AM

What corruption? If either of them were corrupt, I would not be involved! If anyone ever presented one shred of evidence that I have benefited in any way from either of these, I would not be involved!

Posted by: Jack Warner | August 20, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow...

Posted by: 22206 | August 20, 2008 11:13 AM
===============

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. It does make you smarter; e.g. I will never again forget my wife's birthday.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 20, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Assuming Quaranta is CAM tonight and Fred is on the right side, who would you like to see starting for United tonight on the left side of midfield since Guerrero is with the national team and Martinez is suspended(thus eliminating Burch)? Kirk or Corderio? Or would you like to see Fred on the left, Tino on the right, and Vide and Simms in midfield together? Personally I'd like to see Kirk get at least a half to show what he's got, you can always sub him out for Vide or Corderio at halftime if he isn't doing well.... THOUGHTS?

Posted by: Josh | August 20, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

This is shaping up to be a sweet night. Lots of soccer all at once.

Anyone who doesn't like the Olympics should google the name Leryn Franco.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 20, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

espn.com is reporting that the Mexico-Honduras and Costa Rica-El Salavador ties are postponed. I assume this is because of Fay?

Posted by: northzax | August 20, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

That makes no sense, since they aren't playing in Florida.

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

don't google me. it hurts.

Posted by: Leryn Franco | August 20, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Kazakhstan kicked off the European qualifying campaign with their first FIFA World Cup win as a UEFA nation, 3-0 against Andorra in Almaty.

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

My opinion is always play the best 11:

Crayton
Namoff, Peralta, McTavish, Burch
Vide, Simms,
Tino Fred
Moreno
Emilio

Posted by: delantero | August 20, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

That line up looked so much nicer before the Post's
mangler
put
everything
in
a
line
it's not really a 4-2-2-1-1

It's a 4-4-1-1 with Moreno withdrawn

Posted by: ugh | August 20, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I believe that Peralta is still out with the groin injury so I imagine Pat Carroll will get the starting nod next to Devon... thats the lineup I think they'll go with, bc it'll allow simms to go forward a bit more...

Posted by: Josh | August 20, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

You're right, Peralta listed as OUT, Gallardo, though is questionable, be nice to see him get some minutes . . . .

And Doe is still out with a toe infection? He got the funk, the rot, or what?

Seems like a long time to be out with cellulitis---in what I'd imagine is an otherwise healthy young guy

Posted by: delantero | August 20, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

definately don't google me at work!

Posted by: Leryn Franco | August 20, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Kazakhstan the greatest country in the world,
all the Andorrans play like little girls.

Posted by: borat | August 20, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

And did everyone notice that tonight's referee is our favorite Abbey Okulaja? I think we managed to avoid him pretty much all season until now.

Posted by: Glenn | August 20, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

RK:

It's not even debatable.

FIFA's corruption is Jaime Moreno in his prime. The IOC's, by comparison, is Alan Gordon.

270:

Carpenter's statement reminds me of people saying the Wizards were happier without Gilbert Arenas. In both cases, I was extremely skeptical. When you're on a team at any level, you are never happier without your best player than with them.

delantero:

United on turf this season:

0 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses. 3GF, 11GA (note: the draw was 2-2 at New England)

Josh:

On one hand, I'd like to see Kirk given another half (his performance against Rochester consisted of poor touch, but clear athletic advantages over anyone that marked him). On the other hand, Fred is doing better coming from the right than he did from the left.

delantero's lineup is what I'd send out, except Peralta is on the injury report as out. This probably means praying for Pat Carroll to play like he did against KC and not like he has every other time he's been out there. That, or a sudden change to a back three (which could be equally calamitous).

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 20, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

far be it from me to disagree with the mighty Chest, but yes, teams can certainly be better without their 'best' player.

from what I can tell of this situation, losing Wambach has forced the team to stop relying on her to provide offense. when you are playing with such a force, you can get lazy and use them as the only focus. diversification is good. yes, Abby is the best striker in the world, but maybe she doesn't make it a better team? she feeds on long balls and sheer power, which isn't the best way to play, as we all have seen, but she's so good the temptation is to keep playing to her strengths. without her, the team is playing better possession ball, which may be more in their nature than the long ball (turns out chicks don't dig the long ball?) style they had been playing.

this is less common in a sport like soccer than it is in helmet ball or basketball, but it can still happen. and it can really only happen with a striker. in basketball it can happen with a dominant center, or helmet-ball with a powerful back.

this takes nothing away from Abby, just a potential reality.

Posted by: northzax | August 20, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

hat trick xavi alonso

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh wait....2 for Xabi Alonso, 1 for Xavi.

Posted by: RK | August 20, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 20, 2008 3:35 PM
==================

I hear you, especially since Pia changed Wambach's role. But later in the chat, someone asked a similar question and Carpenter essentially repeated his answer and added that other reporters who covered the USWNT had the same feeling. That said, there probably isn't any reporter in Beijing who regularly covers the WNT, so one should take their inferences with a grain of salt.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 20, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse