Looking Ahead to Guatemala

Never mind the Olympics, the USA's first game in the semifinal round of World Cup qualifying is just two weeks away. Guatemala City awaits! Who's with me? (I'll meet ya in the nearby colonial village of Antigua.)

On paper, the Americans should beat Guatemala regardless of the venue, but playing and winning at Estadio Mateo Flores will surely be a difficult task. (Kickoff is 8:11 p.m. local time, 10:11 p.m. Eastern time; ESPN2, Galavision) At least they don't have to go to Mazatenango this time.

Expect the USA roster to be unveiled the middle of next week. Freddy Adu, Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley are with the Olympic squad in China and not under consideration. Well, sort of. If, by chance, the Americans do not get through the group stage, they could be available for the qualifer. After all, the USA's final first-round Oly match is Aug. 13. Realistically, though, after spending three weeks in Asia and so much time away from their European clubs, I can't see any of them making the long journey to rejoin the national team.

So assuming those three players are not available, who would you like to see on the 18-man game-day roster in Guatemala? Has Kenny Cooper's time finally arrived?

By Steve Goff  |  August 6, 2008; 5:00 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Now Where Were We?
Next: Early-Morning Kickaround

Comments

Has Kenny Cooper's time finally arrived?

Posted by: JkR | August 6, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Segundo!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Great recommendation, Goffinho. Spent a week in Antigua about four years ago. Incredibly beautiful place.

Oh, and Cooper definitely deserves a nod against Guate.

Posted by: jpeace121 | August 6, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

If Cooper doesn't start, let alone get called into the squad, then frankly the only way you can look at is that Bob Bradley's methodology regarding call-ups is eerily similar to that of Good Old Boys club, that or a blind man pointing randomly at the player pool.

Posted by: Dave | August 6, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm with the consensus: Yes, Cooper's time has arrived. Especially with Jozy out of the picture.

Posted by: Jeff M | August 6, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I'll second Antigua over Guate City, as well, vos...

Posted by: RK | August 6, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

USA will definetly have a tough task in Guatemala City but they should be able to squeeze out a win or at worse a tie. Guatemala has not looked good in its last friendlies. Cooper should get a shot. Also I believe that Simms is a quality defensive midfielder who should get atleast a tryout for the U.S. team.

Posted by: dcchilidog | August 6, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I've never been to Antigua,Guatemala, but (unlike St. Petersburg, FL), if the travel agent sends you to the other Antigua, it'll still be pretty nice.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 6, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Well, with Rangers out of Europe already, that will keep Beasley fresher to hop across the pond this fall.

Speaking of the Golden Generation, any chance Convey returns to the fold?

Posted by: AM | August 6, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

18 man roster without olympic players:

G: Howard, Reis

D: Bocanegra, Onyewu, Cherundolo, Pearce, Conrad, Bornstein

M: Donovan, Mastroeni, Beasley, Clark, Dempsey, one of: Mapp/Rolfe/Thorrington/Beckerman

F: Cooper, Johnson, Ching, Buddle

Posted by: anon | August 6, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Is the game at 5am online through NBC?

Posted by: Atl | August 6, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Hmm Cooper or Johnson who would almost everyone in their right mind pick?

McBride II needed to be on the team even before his injury.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 6, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

to anon: away with Mapp, please!

Posted by: kevin | August 6, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Convey might also have a shot to make this roster, wouldn't mind having him as an option off the bench

Posted by: anon | August 6, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I like anon's 18, except I'd drop Johnson, list Donovan as a forward, and call in Beckerman and, if fit, Convey.

If Convey is unavailable, we still need someone aside from Beasley that can play on the left. I'm not big on Justin Mapp (unreliable, too soft, hasn't actually been that good this season), so why not Brad Davis or Colin Clark? The return of Davis from lingering injuries has coincided with Houston being the force they were supposed to be, while Clark is (for me) more consistent than Mapp, offering more bite and a better sense of when to engage opponents on the dribble. I know it's risky to call up inexperienced players for the intense atmospheres in Central America, but a) they've got to learn and b) for this particular position, Beasley's only coming off if he gets hurt.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 6, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Yay, everything is back in order.

Ahem.

I was going to say "Peter Jehle" of Liechtenstein in the GK guessing game, but he's already signed with a French club from Boavista. Loria would be my guess at the moment.

I was wrong, but Columbus made sense for Noonan.

Cooper might get called up for Guatemala.

I would like to DC play a 4-6-0 someday. Not against RBNY though.

Speaking of RBNY... FCB 7 - NYRB - 1

Anything else?

Yes! Natasha Kai is sadly not Norway's mommy.

OK, I got my fix. I'm calm now. I'll go back to silently sighing at "The Sky is Falling"-esque comments.

Posted by: B.A. | August 6, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

he is from cuba i bet

Posted by: Chris | August 6, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Chris,

Jose Manuel Miranda IS available, but the hints I remember point to Europe.

Posted by: B.A. | August 6, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

The Red Boulez are showing off some trademark pourous MLS defending

Posted by: Kev | August 6, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

ohh yeah more Henry to NY rumors. After playing against the Metrostars he may reconsider.

I hear LA is looking for a new star.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 6, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I think that Henry will be a Jersey Metro Bull in June. They would be smart to keep for a couple years as they open RB Park eventually

Posted by: Kev | August 6, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Please say the Redbulls don't have to play the second half!

Can Barcelona just play a scrimidge with themselves? It would be a million times better.

Posted by: god its sad | August 6, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

not bad for ny. it's only 4-1. consider some of the games over seas have scored 7-0 even in preseason.

Posted by: td | August 6, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Let's get the Coop-show on!

Posted by: BigWave | August 6, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happened to the U-19 Cuban goalie who defected?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happened to the U-19 Cuban goalie who defected?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2008 10:06 PM
=======
I bet that is him. Maybe that's why Goff mentioned the country will surprise us, Cuba. I think you knew it was him, don't you anonymous?

Posted by: td | August 6, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone noticed that threads that are more than a couple of days old seem to have been purged? That is, Goff's original posts are there, but not any of our comments.

Posted by: The Jeff | August 6, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure I'll be called in

Posted by: Kenny Cooper | August 6, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Cooper - Razov
Lewis - Donovan - Dempsey
Mastroeni
Pearce - Bocanegra - Onyewu - Cherundolo
Howard

Bring on Buddle also!

Posted by: Phillip | August 6, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Is Buddle cap tied to the US, Jamaica, or neither? I believe he's a dual citizen.

Posted by: David | August 7, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Yo Kenny shut the hell up and get over yourself alright?

Posted by: Dadryan | August 7, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

What was that british comedy duo or whatever that did that funny little skit about Football, football!,football!!!! so much foot ball you'll crap yer pants bit?
All this lovely preseason NFL coverage has me flashing back.

Posted by: Dadryan | August 7, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Whatever happened to the U-19 Cuban goalie who defected?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2008 10:06 PM
=======

Posted by: td | August 6, 2008 10:14 PM

==========================================
Didn't those Cubans try out with one or both of the LA teams and didn't get picked up? Come on man, if he can't beat Cronin for the job or even be his backup, he's not going to be better than Wells.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | August 7, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Hey folks with a MLS.live tv subscription, is it worthwhille?
they seem to be trying to sell the thing for @ 10 bucks for the rest of the season..
I will be away from this fun machine, but generally speaking would I be able to pick up the DCU/Red bulls game on a laptop with a wireless internet connection?

Posted by: Dadryan | August 7, 2008 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: David | August 7, 2008 12:06 AM

Cap tied to USMNT one game in 2003-don't ask me which game just remember seeing here at Goff's blog.

Yes to Coop and Buddle and keep EJ off the field unless Coop or Buddle tire