Matchday: DCU at New York

Greetings from the Meadowlands.

The energy-conscious Insider cruised from Northern Virginia to Northern Jersey on 4.2 gallons of gas. The power of the 55-mpg Prius.

Severe thunderstorm watch -- what else is new for a DCU match.

Some personnel news to share:

*Liberian goalkeeper Louis Crayton has joined the team after flying in from Switzerland and will watch today's game here at Giants Stadium. As we've been reporting, his acquisition is in the final stages and will be formally announced in the next few days. He still needs to take a physical, have his International Transfer Certificate processed and acquire a work visa, so it is uncertain whether he will be eligible in time for Saturday's match at Chicago. DCU will have to make a senior roster move to accommodate Crayton, so expect someone to be waived, traded or put on the season-ending injury list soon.

*In an unrelated move, rookie midfielder Jeremy Barlow, who did not make any first-team appearances, has been waived. He was on the developmental roster.

*If you read my match preview this morning, you would know that defender Gonzalo Peralta made the trip to face the Red Bulls, but Marcelo Gallardo did not.

I will be back later with DCU's lineup.....

DCU LINEUP: Wells; Namoff, Carroll, McTavish, Burch; Fred, Simms, Vide, Guerrero; Moreno, Emilio. Subs: Thorpe, Peralta, Martinez, Kirk, Thompson, Quaranta, Dyachenko.

N.Y.: Conway; Parke, Cichero, Goldthwaite; Sassano, Pietravallo, Stammler, Rojas, van den Bergh; Magee, Angel. Subs: Patterson-Sewell, Boyens, Leitch, Mendes, Borman, Ubiparipovic, Jimenez.

As usual, this is the place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion. Giddyup.

By Steve Goff  |  August 10, 2008; 2:36 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA, Netherlands Tie
Next: United-Red Bulls, the Aftermath

Comments

i think gallardo retired last year and just has let dc united know yet

Posted by: chris | August 10, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I would characterize Barlow as a midfielder, not a defender.

Seems that TS is cleaning house, getting rid of the munchkins, first!

Posted by: JSF | August 10, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Why waive a developmental player at this point in the season? Is DC downgrading a player (Vide, Dyachenko) to make room for Crayton or do we have someone else in mind for that spot?

Posted by: Jason | August 10, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Who is this Gallardo fellow you keep referring to? I seem to remember back when he was playing we couldn’t win a game.

In other news I heard Gomez is having a great season.

Posted by: Gallardo is not DP level | August 10, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Yes, as evidenced by Colorado's offensive futility, Gomez is exactly what DC is missing.

Posted by: Jason | August 10, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

There's gonna be a hundred Barra in the swamp. Plus SEs and LN, should make for a reasonable away crowd.

C'mon DC, keep the studs on their throats!

GM

Posted by: GrillMaster | August 10, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

If you had to rank the new guys in 08 it might be something like this?

Martinez
Guerrero
Peralta
Gallardo
Vide
Orange Traffic Cone
New ATM at RFK that sometimes works
Wells
Niell
Carvallo

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 10, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I hope the post pays for your gas

Posted by: MZ | August 10, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jason | August 10, 2008 3:27 PM

Gomez 1286 min 3 goals 6 assists 14 shots on goal

Gallardo 995 min 4 goals 3 assists 16 shots on goal

Gomez = $385,000
Gallardo = $1.8 million

Posted by: Gallardo is not DP level | August 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

In other news I heard Gomez is having a great season.

Posted by: Gallardo is not DP level | August 10, 2008 3:24 PM
===========
He is the one who crafted wins every time he was on the team playing with United this season. Now you know. Too bad no one can block injuries unless if they are stone.

Posted by: Now you know | August 10, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

OMG!!! A store called Destination clothing company in Pentagan City mall sells DC United T-Shirts with the clean logo, hat, other itmes. I have never seen any United items except, you know, other stuff. I was shocked and surprized so went in bought some stuff. There is light shining for United sneeking into the retail stores.

Posted by: arlington4united | August 10, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

As excited as I am to hear that Wells is going to have some competition (if we could even call it that from Crayton's perspective) I can't help but wonder why they did not try to entice Perkins to stick around longer? Is anyone else becoming more and more acutely aware of how good he was, now that he's gone? Perhaps I'm forgetting the details of his move but it seems to me that if someone knew how to keep himself on the line, and his defenders in place, it was Perkins.

Posted by: Thanks for nothing, Norway | August 10, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

will the game be on comcast tonight?

Posted by: tonights match | August 10, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Shane Moody? Where did this ref come from?

Can't be worse than Abby. I hope.

Posted by: JSF | August 10, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

The game is on Comcast live.

Posted by: td | August 10, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Re: Jeremy Barlow's release: Tommy Soehn hates short people!

Now we will never again see Barlow challenging KC's Lance Watson to get a head on a ball five feet off the ground.

Posted by: Hedbal | August 10, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Now you know | August 10, 2008 3:52 PM

I guess you don't count the 6 losses we had with him on the field.

Posted by: Gallardo is not DP level | August 10, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the game is on comcast.

Posted by: Izzy | August 10, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

About the line-up: Why the heck is Dya-stinko (still quoting whoever started it) there when Cordeiro isn't?

Posted by: person | August 10, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

any predictions on the match?
red bull's running a 3-5-2. I can only imagine their game plan is going to be clog the middle and hope for a guardian angel to save them.
DC is going to try and get wide to attack, let's hope that yields a goal or four.
Vamos United!

Posted by: uniter | August 10, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

With DCU problem with speedy forwards, I'm surprised that Borman isn't starting instead of Magee.

Posted by: JSF | August 10, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"....when Cordeiro isn't?"

Cordeiro plays on the flank, Dyachenko is a central player. With Guerrero, Burch and Martinez on the roster, DC has enough flank players.

Posted by: Smashing | August 10, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: arlington4united | August 10, 2008 3:58 PM

Pentagon City -

I had asked them numerous times to add United gear...I saw they had this week when I came across the street for lunch. Now I guess I better buy something.

I also ran into Ben Olsen at the PC Mall a couple of weeks ago...I think he was picking up a Iphone.

Posted by: Chris Lee | August 10, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Nice crowd in NY!!! PACKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hoost | August 10, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Nice to have a big target forward like Moreno, always scoring goals with his head.

Posted by: Joe S. | August 10, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but Wells continues to get lucky. I'm so tired of him playing like s**t and Rongen saying good stuff about him. He's not good! At the 35th minute he was way out of position and got lucky against Angel. Why is he out so far? I don't know. Absolutely horrible!!! I can't wait until we have a new keeper.

Posted by: Q | August 10, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Good call on paying for the Mlslive. com john fellas!
Way out here in Avon, NC watching the game on my mother in laws company laptop!
Giving up free kicks for Angel to take is a terrible idea...But kinda like Beckham burying the joint in Superliga last year vs Perkins you can't be too surprised...
I really thought we got rid of the Christian Lovers. At least the ones spouting off about it here...
Don't you have something better to do Gallardo isn't a DP or whatever you said?

God damn! Wells sucks!

Posted by: dadryan | August 10, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

FIRE WELLS NOW! or at least get a good keeper that doesn't totally whiff.

Posted by: downtown | August 10, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope Crayton is healthy and good at paperwork.

Posted by: Joe S. | August 10, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

my computer blipped twice during the last goal and the replay. Did Wells tip that back to the middle of the box?

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 10, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Wells Sucks
skcus sllew
Wells Sucks
skcus sllew

Posted by: castroviejo | August 10, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I agree with some of you people-why is Wells sucking so much this season? He played a lot better last year with the Dynamo, so what went wrong? Let's just hope Crayton proves good.
To Smashing: I know D.C. Has plenty of flank players there, but they could get someone else on the bench other that Rod!

Posted by: person | August 10, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Zach Wells freaking sucks.

In other news, Sun rises in the east, sky is blue, etc.

Posted by: NattyBo | August 10, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I hate Wells... he blew this game...

Posted by: Anthony | August 10, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Wells didn't blow the first goal. I thought the wall was supposed to jump!

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 10, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Wells, wow!

I guess that honeymoon/love-affair that was starting after that LONG overdue lone shutout is coming to its natural end. Bronze is not gold, no matter what kind of glasses you view it with. Looking forward to the Crayton era.

Oh well, if this was any other team I would be really angry, but being that is the RBNY they will find a way to snatch a tie, or worse yet, a loss from this first half effort.

Posted by: Kosh | August 10, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

y'all better score a couple of goals here or mastodon juan will be here crowin' for the next week...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad that people are seeing this Wells situation my way. Go figure, I post that comment above and three minutes later he f's up and gives up a goal! Man is he horrible! So many things that he does wrong. I wish that I could go into all of them right now. Let's just say that the worst thing that he does is not position himself that well and then he also doesn't control his box very well. He tries, but it's horrible. Also, he didn't play that well at Houston. That's why they gave him up and are laughing at us!!!

Posted by: Q | August 10, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

hey, anyone remember Perkins' howler that cost us the CCC game at Chivas last season? no? rose-colored glasses? go read this board from last summer, it was "Perkins sucks, we need a new keeper" just to keep that in mind.

Posted by: northzax | August 10, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I can't get over that crowd! WOW! 78K?

Posted by: Hoost | August 10, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

First goal not wells' fault, bad place for a foul and simms not standing in the wall making it only three across that close to goal... low near pst not Wells fault.

Second goal, yes bad flail at the ball, DC player heads it centrally to magee. **sigh**

Posted by: Der Kaiser | August 10, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

YEs I am a sucky keeper, I know that

Posted by: WELLS | August 10, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: northzax | August 10, 2008 6:08 PM

Yeah, except that was a once every 20 games occurrence with Perkins. Wells gives up a boneheaded goal at least once every two games.

Posted by: NattyBo | August 10, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Perkins took chances that left him out of position, Wells is never in a good position to begin with.

Hope Jamie is ok but maybe Tino can bring something good to the pitch

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 10, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

it's not only that wells sucks, it's that there is NO chemistry between him and the defense. it's like watching the keystone cops...

Posted by: birdy | August 10, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NattyBo | August 10, 2008 6:12 PM

Yeah, but it can be also said the Namoff didn't challenge VDB before he crossed, giving him a lot of space. I think on this one a few players can be blamed for the sequence leading to the goal.

Posted by: Der Kaiser | August 10, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

i made that "keystone cop" comment before the 3rd goal. that 3rd goal just sums it up, doesn't it?

Posted by: birdy | August 10, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Allright we've got at least three dumb arses on that play..
Burch, Wells, and you know what for all Peralta's clumsyness I think he would have got his head on that ball and cleared it for a corner. Carroll should have kept that out, Burch is a true retard sometimes.

Posted by: dadryan | August 10, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Not sure where you are coming from northzax - Wells is no Perkins. Perspective is fine and all, but it tends to be subjective. However facts tend to be objective, kind of like natural laws, and the evidence supports what we have all come to know as a pure fact here on SI - which is Wells is not a starting goal keeper. Can he grow and get better, sure, whatever. Is he a starter right now, absoulutely not.

I'm willing to go out on a limb here as say that the Perkins comments you are referencing may have been knee-jerk, but with Wells the rap-sheet is long and painfully clear in our faces.

Posted by: Kosh | August 10, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Does Burch get the assist on that goal?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

This is pathetic, this is the same team that lost 6-2 how bad are we?

Posted by: Kevin Payne | August 10, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Mastodon Juan is a United fan now Anonymous, don't ya know?!

Posted by: dadryan | August 10, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

can someone techy out there make a youtube clip of all the cheap goals this team has given up this year? i am a masochist, i guess.

Posted by: birdy | August 10, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Does Burch get the assist on that goal?

posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 6:20 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, Fred and Emilio got the assists on the Jaime goal.

Posted by: person | August 10, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Relax guys, Dyachenko is coming in.

Posted by: Glaucon | August 10, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko's in? There's the towel. This game is officially over.

It's been swell, people.

Posted by: Kosh | August 10, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

oh why can't the pain of watching this loser team go away. I know, I'll gouge my eyes out. The game was lost when I read the newspaper; we're more concerned about the US Cup than an MLS game. Great strategy. Let's throw a game away when 3 Eastern Conference teams won yesterday, making it almost imperitive that we keep pace. Now, we can't even beat the last place team because this loser coach doesn't start Martinez and takes Jaime out at halftime. BRILLIANT!! Zack does indeed suck, and is made to look good only by the players in front of him: THE OTHER TEAM. His desperate moves in goal make some of them look like shear brilliance....and then we witness his sheer stupidity when he hops around like a bunny rabbit as if he knows what the heck he's doing. Oh great; here comes loser Dyachenko! Tommy boy, your decisions are rediculous. Go sell hotdogs on the corner of some Detroit street, will ya!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

was that a white flag I saw come into the game?

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 10, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

You know how bad I am, I have my laptop stored here beside the goal and using the wireless connection at the Meadowlands I can blog right from the field.

Of course this blogging doesn't help the team win but when do I ever really help the team win?

Posted by: Zach Wells | August 10, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

these idiot announcers must not realize United have a big game on tuesday they are gonna need Jaime for...
Game over for United now that Dychenko is in?
I hope we can pull back a draw.
Come on United!

Posted by: dadryan | August 10, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I find it funny how the Red Bull announcers keep referring to Luciano as Luchiano.

What a bunch of douche's

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

That last pass by Dyachenko was absolutely horrible.

Too bad the guy can't get hit by a car or something. Nothing fatal, just something to break a leg or something.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko is an embarassment.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

******************

exactly my thoughts - guess the NY announcers also missed the memo re Moreno and the 8/6 Bolivian match

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Why does Comcast insist on using crappy cameras for their so-called HD broadcasts!! So pathetic.

Posted by: Albert Hall | August 10, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

MLS must be blocking DCU from getting rid of Dyachenko. Maybe Red Bull players will get tired of his hacking and take him out.

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 10, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Down with Dyastinko!
Down with Soehn!
Down with Dyastinko!
Down with Soehn!
Once these two are gone, things will look up again. It's time for Bruce Arena and someone else good from the past to return to United!

Posted by: person | August 10, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Crayton must be impressed with the team.

Posted by: WE NEED ANOTHER FOWARD! | August 10, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I bet before the end of the game that someone will... be... RED CARDED!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: person | August 10, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Fire Sohen.

Dump (or dump on) DyaSTINKo

Trade Wells for toilet paper for RFK.

Posted by: | August 10, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

OMYGODOMYGODOHMYGOD!
You mean Zach made a couple of saves just now? I guess he's just straight up sick of being sucky and decided to stop watching a movie on NetFlix or whatever he was doing when he gave up those three goals.

Posted by: person | August 10, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

No worries "person" I figured I'd give up another one.

Posted by: Zach Wells | August 10, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

As a coach I just plain suck, no 2 ways about it.

Posted by: Tom Soehn | August 10, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

howdy from the swamp, kiddies. 4-1.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 10, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

worst loss ever

Posted by: delantero | August 10, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Rojas is a real tough guy pushing folks around till it bites him in his own leg.
Thank you Brian Namoff, you are the man. Break a leg!

Posted by: dadryan | August 10, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

The question is do you fire Soehn now or when we get eliminated on Tuesday

Posted by: CH | August 10, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Wake me up next March. This year's over. I'm done with this team.

I gave them countless chances. I made up tons of excuses. They STILL fail to disappoint, and what's the xcuse now? It can't be that Gallardo's out. Since when has Gallardo played an integral role? No, the truth about this team is that THEY DO NOT TRY. THEY HAVE NO CHEMISTRY. And Rod Dyacenko, Tommy? REALLY??

It's ridiculous. On paper, we have one of, if not THE bext team in the league. On the field, we have the typical Columbus Crew team (who seem to have taken United's rightful place at the top of the table. Hmmm...).

One week, we thoroughly beat KC, a complete win with a SHUTOUT!! Next week, we squander an early lead, because the entire team went to sleep after the 17th minute. I feel sorry for all the United fans who wasted their time and money traveling to New Jersey today. I wish they could all get their money back, because I certainly wouldn't pay to see this team right now.

So again, wake me up and fill me in in March. I will not be watching any more MLS games this season.

Posted by: What the hell | August 10, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

YOU RETARD!!!!!!!!!!!!
And from Sinisawhattheheck Ubiparipovicomigod! The guy's name is too hard to freakin' pronounce!

Posted by: person | August 10, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko to developmental roster NOW

Posted by: K Payne | August 10, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow we held that one goal lead like true champions. I'm not sure which was more upsetting today DC United or the US team…although at least the US team ended up tying the Netherlands, we lost to the Red Bulls!

After today New England should feel pretty confident about resting their starters and starting with their development players on Tuesday night.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 10, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

How the f*** did D.C. just get stomped on by a team that gave up 6 goals in their last game? 6 GOALS FOR GOD'S SAKE! Like I, and plenty others, said, down with Rod and Tom!

Posted by: person | August 10, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

The worst I've ever seen a team play. I'm serious.

Posted by: bennyf118 | August 10, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Why oh why didn't United keep Perkins, Vanney, Boswell, and others? I'd almost say why did they trade Freddy Adu and let Nowak leave to coch the U.S. U-23s, ya know?

Posted by: person (again) | August 10, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna keep posting comments on here until I can get some support despite the fact that I'm only 14 years young! NEW STARTING XI: Gianluigi Buffon; Juliano Belletti, Rio Ferdinand, Carles Puyol, Eric Abidal; Cristiano Ronaldo, Xavi Hernandez, Andrea Pirlo; Lionel Messi, Thierry Henry, Didier Drogba.

Posted by: person (again) | August 10, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I SUPPORT YOU PERSON!
except Belletti.. Cannavaro
AND IM 13!

Posted by: RENOVATION! | August 10, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Isn't there some sort of time limit on Youtube clips?

Posted by: stuck in 200 | August 10, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Wells really really really really really really really really really really sucks.

Posted by: Mike in Takoma Park | August 10, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

if we traded Wells for toilet paper. All we would get is that cheap s..t that chaps you arse. ie. the exact same thing.

Posted by: castroviejo | August 10, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Don't stop with canning Soehn; Kasper has to go too. The two of them are equally culpable for the mess that they turned this into. Kasper will likely survive as his head is so far up Payne's anal orifice that he has ample shelter.

And don't give me injuries. K and S, along with KP, made the international competitions a priority. You make your bed, you sleep in it, or s*** in it in this case.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 10, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

The first 27 minutes, we were on top. Angel's goal seemed to leave us thinking "Ok, 1-1 isn't so bad for a first half". NY, however, was a completely different team after the equalizer. Whose fault was it? Well, it was not the best place to give up a freekick, but ultimately the wall should jump there.

DC stopped playing and NY played above themselves for the rest of the half. The 2nd goal contained a litany of errors: Namoff didn't close down Van den Bergh on the cross; Wells does the right thing to get a hand on the ball, but inexplicably slaps it into the middle instead of touching it out wide or out of bounds; McTavish, rather than lunge in for a block, turns away from the ball in the classic style of 11 year olds afraid of getting hit by the ball.

Moreno was just being rested, but anyone who watches this team knows that, without Moreno, we are rudderless. Coming back from 2-1 down was going to be hard enough. And then, we let up another stupid goal. Burch's header to Wells was far too soft, and then Pat Carroll showed all the desperation of a pickup game player to somehow avoid not heading the ball off the line.

Goal #4 was the result of DC having given up and having no numbers back. NY strung their passes together well, but they were given enough space that my indoor team could do the same.

Rongen said it best: As hard as we made it on KC to attack, tonight we made it that easy on NY. From the moment Angel's freekick went in, we seemed to think that NY would somehow go away and leave us be with a 1-1 draw. I'll be blunt: I haven't seen a United team show this lack of effort and heart since the loss against the Harrisburg City Islanders last year. And this is against our rivals! I know we normally beat them, but it's always because we combine better talent with more desire to win. This was a good 27 minutes from United, followed by 63 minutes of gutless, careless play.

Ratings:

Wells: 4 (goal #2 was mostly his fault; other 3 were on the wall, Burch, and overall lack of effort to defend)
Namoff: 4
McTavish: 4
P. Carroll: 4
Burch: 3 (miserable defending, and was terrible in serving the ball)
Fred: 5 (kept trying; one of the few players that wasn't awful)
Vide: 4
Simms: 3 (giveaways and a return to his Superliga form)
Guerrero: 4
Moreno: 6
Emilio: 4

Quaranta: 4
Martinez: 4
Dyachenko: 4 (average effort from Rod, which for anyone else would be an insult)

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 10, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Most of the passes during this game seemed to make their way to a Red Bull player, regardless of who passed it.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 10, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Need Paralta back, and 2 more CB's on top of that. Just a train wreck in the back. Doesn't even matter how bad Wells is with chances like that.

Posted by: wmsiii | August 10, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Here's a PS, with the "Always look on the bright side of life" perspective:

Martinez and Dyachenko played without getting booked, which puts them within 2 games of the good behavior bonus (note: I will support arguments that a Dyachenko suspension would have been a good thing)!

We're still in the 7th playoff spot!

Only 2 more games on turf this year (@ New England and Saprissa...yes, I realize that means at least 2 more 4-1 beatings, judging from past returns)!

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 10, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone actually explain Soehn's strategery in the second half? Looked like musical chairs on the deck of the Titanic. Completely absurd. Any chance DC UTD can nick Paul Mariner before Tuesday.

Posted by: Soehn The Exit | August 10, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Soehn The Exit | August 10, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hoost | August 10, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Iraq has weapons of mass destruction?

Posted by: Ash | August 10, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

To Hoost:

Except the NFL, Everyone lies about attendence, including DCU. The most egregious was La Sooz's "sell-outs" at Cap Centre/MCI/Verizon. The NFL reports tickets distributed, and reports no-shows. Everyone else, especially MLS, lies about attendence.

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 10, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

1st to Chest Rockwell -- When you don't set up a wall correctly (on the first goal) it is your fault. He probably should've gotten to the third goal if he hadn't been so slow to come out. The last goal was bad defending, but he may have been able to get to it if he had any kind of lateral movement (which he doesn't).

What I'm saying is that Wells doesn't have much defense in front of him, but he should do better. He doesn't know his position well. Yes, I am a goalie and feel that I know the position very well. I find way to many faults in Wells' play for DC to ever be successful.

Posted by: Q | August 10, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

person, why is Dyachenko a bone in your throat???Relax or you will find yourself in the psychiatric clinic soon.

Posted by: human | August 10, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm in the Ironbound, half a mile from where our stadium is being built, drinking some celebratory vinho verde and waiting on cataplana. Wish you were here!

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 10, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

That was a fantastic display DC. What a brilliont play and lost bad from a joke team in MLS. Not one but all DC players were flat and played like dead tree. It is safe to say DC won't bring any single trophies this season and for a few years as long as current retruters, managers and the players remain with this team. If you can't beat new york red bulls you are not going to do any better. End of story.

Posted by: td | August 10, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

"MLSNet reports 15K at Giants Stadium. Has there ever been a bigger lie? Seriously, name a bigger lie. I dare you."

"attendance: 14,660"

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Bara, SE, LN and the rest of United supporters travelled to swamped land to show our support. You have committed great great deal for this and set the example well for all.

Posted by: td | August 10, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, that was me (if you hadn't guessed)-- switched from iphone to laptop so I could bring you that, much bigger, lie.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 10, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Actual attendance was 140.

Posted by: td | August 10, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I was out enjoying the sub 90s weather and missed the game. From the sound of things I'm kind of glad I did.

I don't think Soehn is an awful coach, but he's not a good one and seems to be a particularly poor fit for this squad. At this point it would be a big disruption to let him go, but after DC wins (or is eliminated from) the US Open Cup, Soehn should be sent packing.

Posted by: noptov52 | August 10, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

the real problem is the attacking portion of DC United.
If Emilio is injured.. Who do we have to fill? Doe? (cant finish)
That is probably our only other foward.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Forget, we don't want you.

Posted by: Greenbelt | August 10, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Doe and Emilio both runs like 300 pound gorrilas.

Posted by: td | August 10, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

All for D.C. redecorating the team, again, stand up and shout "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG HERE?!?!"!

Posted by: person | August 10, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

MJ, the attendance for the DCU - Houston match was certainly inflated, but your picture is just a *tad* misleading.

I'm one of the rain besotted fools in that picture, which was taken after the restart after some two hours of delays. There was a surprisingly large number of people still at RFK until about 10:30 when the game was postponed an additional 30 minutes. That put the end of match well after the last metro train and frankly it looked unlikely that the match would restart at all.

Posted by: noptov52 | August 10, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I saw the game on TV, and you're right, there were more people than that. But not there weren't anywhere NEAR 14,600 or whatever visible on TV.

But it was raining at the start of the game tonight, and there were a lot of people under the overhang. Not the 7500 or so difference between the lower deck and the announced attendance, but TV doesn't give you the full story.

What this really comes down to is your team got thumped and Hooch or whatever wants something to console him. Pathetic. I'll tell you, me and the thousands of home fans don't really give a diddly damn about how closely the announced attendance reflected the true figure, because we're too busy laughing at DC United.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 10, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Re: the picture of the end of DC/Hou: Does that banner read, "Home of the 12th man," or "Home of 12 men?"

Posted by: lgm6986 | August 10, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

MJ: It's ok that you get to laugh once in a life time. We have been lauging at Red Bulls its supporters since 1996 and keep going.

Posted by: DC | August 10, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

The trend line is good for us.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 10, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noptov52 | August 10, 2008 8:24 PM

Ok point taken; DC has a mediocre coach who has created an under .500 squad w/ a negative GD and who's team just got stumped 4-1 by the worst club in the Conference. Certainly wouldn't want any 'Big Disruption” to effect that synergy.

Note to Mr. Payne: Perhaps you could give Paul Mariner a quick interview Tuesday when you're shaking his hand after the game congratulating him and Steve on their; Super Liga win, League leading record and second Open Cup final in appearance 2 years.

Posted by: Soehn The Exit | August 10, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mastobadon Juan,

For once I actually agree with you, DC was certainly laughable tonight.

Posted by: Soehn The Exit | August 10, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

hey MJ, want to stage a RB-DCU trophy count-off? We'll even spot you a few ;)

Very poor effort for the good guys tonight but it strikes me that a lot of these guys have really never played together. Still it is painful to watch New Jersey win one. (one of the best days of my soccer life was watching Crystal Palace Baltimore put a spanking on Jersey almost as bad as Barca.) Consolation at least it was on the ping-pong table in front of 4,000 people. (plus I agree with whoever commented on the Comcast "HD" cameras...jeez) At least we head back for some home cookin' on Tuesday.

Rod D experiment is so far over that the petri dish is starting to stink. Also, time for the new GK. Just don't think the team believes in Wells.

Sigh...

Posted by: -K | August 10, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Why has no one pointed out that the Red Bull squad that took the field tonight is very different from the sucky team weve beaten up on so successfully for years? They fielded three (I think) new players and it made a huge difference. We can no longer take them lightly.

Posted by: Hedbal | August 10, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Comcast wasn't broadcasting in HD. I Tivo'ed it on the CSN HD channel (Fairfax Cox system) and was getting the space saver bars on each side of the picture.

Posted by: stuck in 200 | August 10, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

on one hand I'm glad a lonely fat hairy elephant got his homely arse out on the town.
On the other hand I'm glad Rojas got stuck.
I can't really tell what was a bigger dissapointment today, the US men or United.
At least a draw gives you a point.
Hey MJ like someone said before go swim in a tarpit dude.
drinking vino verde? GGGGGGGUUUUUUUAAAAAAY!

But seriously DC United(you players do read this crap don't you?).
YOu REALLY let your supporters down with this TOTAL FAIL.
PLease suck it up and win on Tuesday and we'll be on speaking terms again.

Posted by: dadryan | August 10, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Once more, with feeling:

Like it or not, Soehn is not going anywhere. He is coach until at least the end of the season. Same with Kasper. Same with everyone on the coaching staff and FO. Get over it.

Also, to those who post along the lines of "why oh why did we trade/release/not re-sign X" -- you are living in the past. How about you post realistic moves that can be made now to help the team.

Posted by: Ron | August 11, 2008 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Once more, with feeling:

Posted by: Ron | August 11, 2008 6:43 AM

If that's the case then like it or not this team is going nowhere. Trophies...get over it.

Posted by: Soehn The Exit | August 11, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse