Matchnight: United-Fire

[updated with lineup]

Greetings from Toyota Park and the debut of new DCU goalkeeper Louis Crayton. Yes, Crayton is in, Wells is out.

Today's opponent-appropriate tunes are courtesy of Graham Parker.

Unlike our last visit, there are no tornado sirens wailing. In fact, nothing but a few puffy clouds and blue skies. As usual, an immaculate playing surface.

Read my match preview.

Read about the Fire supporters/security issues.

No standard TV coverage in the Washington area. You can watch on Direct Kick or listen to the radio broadcast at 1050 AM or online at Federal News Radio.

Back later with DCU's lineup.....

DCU LINEUP: *CRAYTON*; Namoff, McTavish, Burch, Martinez; Fred, Simms, Quaranta, Guerrero; Moreno, Emilio. Subs: Wells, Zaher, Kirk, Vide, P. Carroll, Thompson, Cordeiro.

As usual, this is the place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.

By Steve Goff  |  August 16, 2008; 6:28 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arena Ball
Next: United-Fire, the Aftermath

Comments

That Blanco sure is a class act.

Assuming we stick with the same midfield and forwards, Soehn had 2 choices to make: Crayton or Wells, and Peralta's replacement (I'm pulling for Martinez moving into the middle and Burch playing left back, but that seems to no longer be an option for reasons beyond my comprehension).

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

why is a redskin game more important than a dc game.

dc needs another tv outlet]opiptg

Posted by: vasco | August 16, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Saturday nite is dead; don't get excited. And, for goodness' sake, don't bother with the local girls.

Posted by: Tuffy | August 16, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Looks like it will be a 3 martini game

Posted by: John | August 16, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Crayton must look at least decent in practice. He's going to get a lot of work tonight unless Burch has suddenly learned to be a center back.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

where is peralta?

Posted by: castroviejo | August 16, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

bad hammy from the game tues

Posted by: chris D | August 16, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Disgrace. Stupid helmate game season hasn't even started and we can't watch a meaningful league game on local tv without subscribing another channel. What a frustrating! Ok I will just watch fsc or goltv or mexican league game. Wells got to be upset!

Posted by: td | August 16, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Wht didn't Comcast put this on their other channel (4 in Mont CO.)? I have Direct Kick, but still.

We all know the Deadskins rule DC and their fans need all the preseason they can get before another 7-9 season. But Comcast can make an effort.

Anyone know if DCU gets any compensation, like another game? Or id the contract so weak that they have to put up with this?

Posted by: Nogra Rover | August 16, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Burch in the middle is a disaster. This might be ugly.

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Ok the redskins game is on BOTH channel nine and Comcast! They need two channels to show a preseason game? Come on...

Posted by: Huh? | August 16, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

If I weren't going out tonight, I'd buy DK -- it's only 10 bucks now.

Posted by: RK | August 16, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

RK. Send me your $10 and I'll let you know what happened.

Did Steve say that Crayton was starting?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 16, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Cunningham #100. Great service from Serioux.

Posted by: RK | August 16, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else's MLS Live just showing a generic Direct Kick screen listing tonight's games, accompanied by wuss rock?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

CSN does not have an agreement for use of channel 4 during baseball season, MASN does. And the Redskins have a deal with Comcast and yes it supercedes United's. It's a shame, but welcome to DC. And Comcast wasn't going out of it's way to cover a road match for tape delay. The shame is that CSN claimed the match in the first place, keeping FSC and Telefutura away.

As for the line-up, we're in trouble. I see a 3-1 loss coming :-(

Posted by: Kev | August 16, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

WOO-HOO!!!! NO DYACHENKO!!!! D.C.'s Gonna win tonight! Yeah, baby, yeah!!!!!!

Posted by: person | August 16, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

HA! FSC advertising Perth Glory at 3 am game...woohoo!

Posted by: RK | August 16, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I am just sick of everyone treating united and its fans this way. Give us updated since I can't get access to.

Posted by: td | August 16, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Agreed - Burch does not belong in the middle. Maybe they will switch as the nightmare unfolds?
Glad to see Crayton starting. That should help.
Does McHead start or just see action late?

Posted by: marksman | August 16, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm serious. This music makes me wish I was dead.

It just hit me that the game starts at 8:30 and not 8. I guess I deserve to listen to a whitebread version of O.A.R. as punishment for such foolishness.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Is this game streaming anywhere??

Posted by: andrew | August 16, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Instead of whining, I figure I'll help.

Chicago lineup:

-------------- Rolfe - Herron
------------ Jerkface Blanco
Mapp --------------------------------- Pappa
-------------------- Pause
Segares - Conde - Soumare - Prideaux
-------------------- Busch

Bench: Noble, Brown, Gutierrez, Banner, Nyarko, Frankowski, McBride

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

mlslive.tv, I believe......does require you to buy a season pass. That is only 9.95 now, so pretty good deal.

Posted by: marksman | August 16, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Is DK really only $10, or is that for the streaming feed from mlsnet?

Posted by: CY | August 16, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

$9.95 is for the streaming feed from mlsnet

I just paid it, we'll see, but I figure that's a good deal if the feed is good enough

Posted by: delantero | August 16, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Feed's working fine. You'll have to deal with questionable announcing from the "Foire" (their pronunciation, not mine) broadcast team. I've already caught a "Luchiano Emilio" in there, and the telecast began about 60 seconds ago.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

OMG! Adrian Serioux is funny! If you were watching Fox Soccer Channel during the 6 in 60 segment, they told him to finish the sentence, "I hate to admit it, but I really like to...". He said, "Eat ice cream!"

Posted by: person | August 16, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Mls.livetv is ten bucks well spent!
Just got back from the obx and will hopefully see a more pleasing result than the last league game our boys played.
Seriously Mlslivetv is worth the money, think how much money you'll save not going to the bar.
ONe day ticket is only 4.95, and the rest of the season including playoffs is 9.95.
Vamos United!
I'm throwing on the pink flower tiara, I hope it works as well as it did last time!

Posted by: dadryan | August 16, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Fu csn. Fu ch 9. Fu ch 4. Fu ch 7. Fu ch 5.

Posted by: td | August 16, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

For those who haven't used it before, the mlslive.tv feed is much easier to use in windows media player. Once you open the feed, right click the video and go to options. Copy the link mms://..... and then hit stop on the video. Go to windows media player to "Open URL" and paste the link then hit play.

This has to be done rather quickly as it creates a unique link each time you open a video and that link only stays active for a short period of time.

This will allow you to resize and reshape the frame however you want.

Posted by: Jeremy | August 16, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Burch in the middle ouch.
Hope the boys show the heart they have in the previous 2 meetings with the fire

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Check out Blanco getting booed by his own fans! I love it.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Crappy to hear about the security issues that the Chicago fans have to deal with (even though I really dont like the Fire in particular)

Posted by: LN Hunter | August 16, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Louis Crayton! Let's go United.

Posted by: Andy | August 16, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CH | August 16, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

What is the issue with security in chicago? And is this some kind of anti football fans having a lively atmostpher and kill it and make it like every other dead sports games here?

Posted by: td | August 16, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Martinez rocks. He just picked that guys pocket in the corner. Great defense

Posted by: delantero | August 16, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

McTavish & Burch together in the center make me really nervous. I think we'll give a goal when one of the two leaves their feet and misses the ball.

Posted by: Forrest | August 16, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, thank you, thank you CH!

Posted by: kat | August 16, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Needless foul and yellow card by Simms, considering the numbers we had between Mapp and goal.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

What's happening in the game right now? I can only track the match from mlsnet.com, so I don't know exactly everything that goin' down.

Posted by: person | August 16, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

NEVERMIND!!

Posted by: person | August 16, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Largely uneventful first 18 minutes, except for Blanco using his back to redirect a long ball to a teammate

Posted by: Goff | August 16, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link to the Chicago story about the Latino supporter group's troubles, Goff. I just don't get why there'd be security people being heavy handed with supporters in Denver and Chicago. Doesn't ownership in those cities realize how importance the hardcore fan base is to creating an atmosphere and attracting more casual fans?

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

why does that stadium in Chicago always look so dark?

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

So when do we see the mls refs wearing head set so they can communicate effectively? Even the mexican refs have it!

Posted by: td | August 16, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Sorry person, got sucked into watching did you get a feed by radio or video?

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Jeremy,

You are right, this player is too small.

""Copy the link mms://..... and then hit stop on the video""

Where is this link? the only one I see on the MLS feed is http://web.mlsnet . . .

Posted by: delantero | August 16, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I have seen the MLS guys wearing the headsets a couple of times. I think they used them in the Allstar game and I believe I saw them a couple of other times.

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

dc looks pretty good...chicago's d is sitting pretty deep. tino and simms should be able to get a couple shots off from outside the box

the play-by-play guy has a man-crush on conde

Posted by: ahelms | August 16, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Namoff booked for falling down and accidentally taking Blanco with him. Gotta love that MLS officiating (though, I will admit Namoff was looking to foul before he fell). Blanco asks for the card, and gets it. Didn't FIFA say that players gesturing/asking for cards would themselves be booked?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

when will Emilio get the respect and protection that some other DPs in the league get. You cant touch Blanco without getting a card and now he can call for them on his own.

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Guerrero is awesome. Everyone who complains about the front office needs to recognize.

Fred is having another weak match.

Tim Weyland is a terrible referee.

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

The Chicago announcers whom we're hearing on MLS Direct Kick are very astute. Good observations about Emilio's size and how the Fire defenders' greater size means that it's better to give service to his feet.

Also good observations about Blanco and Mapp using their body and redirects with the ball to shield the ball and help draw fouls that led to yellow cards.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

crayton looked strong coming out for the cross

Posted by: ahelms | August 16, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

GOAL FRED of a Corner!!

Posted by: delatnero | August 16, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Namoff now called for another foul, this time after Mapp kicked him and (typically) fell down. Crayton claims the freekick confidently.

Now Simms fouls Blanco and gets a stern talking-to. While I like Simms adding some steel to his game, he better tone it down or Weyland will send him off.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

except for scoring the goal of course.

criminal marking there. nice header Fred!

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

FREDERICO!!!!

Posted by: GOOAL | August 16, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

How you like me now?

Posted by: Fred | August 16, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Holy cr*p we've scored off of two corners this season.

Posted by: Forrest | August 16, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Goal Fred. Great wide open finish with the head

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Fred left completely alone at the 18, Moreno lofts a balloon ball but still no one on the Fire moves, easy header for Fred

1-0 UNITED!! 28th minut

Posted by: delantero | August 16, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Unmarked Fred head in a goal!

DCU 1, Fire 0

What was someone saying about Fred having a sucky game?

And good shot of Barra Brava supporters at the match.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

That's good, at least it gives me some confidence in them even though ref assts get a lot of offside calls wrong and we (I) are sort of hard on them.

Posted by: td | August 16, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Kiss da ring, byatch

Posted by: Fred | August 16, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Fred! 1-0!

As a smallish guy, I always love seeing little guys head in corners.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

why is it a foul when they fall down but not a foul when we fall down?

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

bout time for Fred!
Sweet.
The game looked a little better on my mother in laws laptop...
I guess she had windows...
I can't make the picture larger!?!
Any computer wizards know what I could do to change that?
thanks

Posted by: dadryan | August 16, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Fred is having a weak game?

Posted by: Andy | August 16, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

In the video window, right click and go to "Options" in there is the mms:// link.

Posted by: Jeremy | August 16, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

frankly yes. His passing has been off just like the last game. My grandmother could have scored that goal he was so wide open.

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Talk about ironic with Andy Heron making the he elbowed me motion.

Posted by: Forrest | August 16, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Is this the same team that got waxed by the Red Bulls?

Posted by: delantero | August 16, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Great defending by McTavish to keep Herron from getting to that ball, and nice stuff from Crayton to pick the ball off before the kind of disaster we've become accustomed to.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

This ref is killing me

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

this game may finish 9v9

Posted by: ahelms | August 16, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Anyone still think Wells should have started instead of Crayton?

Jaime gets clocked and no call then McTavish fouls Herron who goes airborne and gets a caution. Ridiculous.

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

The 2nd Fire player in twenty minutes to ask for a card while writhing on the ground? Yeah, Blanco hasn't influenced them too much.

Posted by: Section 130 | August 16, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

The only way it finishes 9v9 is if Chicago loses guys to injury. None of their guys are gonna get red carded tonite.

Posted by: Grunthos | August 16, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

chest: it was burch who came in and sheperded the ball to crayton on the blanco to herron break

Posted by: ahelms | August 16, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

we may end up with 9 but so far Chicago is getting away with everything

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Not a bad left footed shot from Namoff. Powerful, just at the keeper.

Posted by: d | August 16, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

And now McTavish picks up a silly yellow card for going in too hard on Herron at midfield. Might have been retaliation for their earlier collision which had Herron called for the foul, but it's inexcusable in a game that's being called this tightly. We look like we're intent on ending this game with 10 men.

Herron, as per usual, holds his knee and rolls around like mad.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

aheims, not 9v9 the ref won't call anything on Chicago. maybe 9v11 but we will still win

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Our guys need to play smarter with the fouling, but I'm glad we're handing it out to the Fire for once. I for one got sick and tired of Mo & Go getting pounded every time we played them for years, and it seemed like Benny was the only player who wouldn't stand for it.

Posted by: Forrest | August 16, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Man, Houston up 4-2 in the first half on RSL!

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

we may end up with 9 but so far Chicago is getting away with everything

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2008 9:18 PM

He's making good calls, but the card situation is ridiculously one sided (3-0). Namoff didn't deserve a yellow, he clearly just fell.

The foul on Martinez was the hardest of the night and the player got no card

Posted by: delantero | August 16, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

great save Crayton!!

Posted by: Zach Wells | August 16, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Good. Rsl doesn't deserve to be at the top. Sooner or later they will fall apart.

Posted by: td | August 16, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

ahelms:

Thanks. I have a pretty low-quality monitor that is not bright enough, so certain players are hard to identify on the fly. Burch is looking better tonight than he normally has at CB.

***

Nice stop by Crayton just now. He's done nothing wrong thus far.

Chicago's starting to come into the game. I'd like to see us slow the game down, play simple, and keep possession to keep the 1-0 lead into halftime.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree weyland is not calling anything on chicago but I think you're underestimating chicago's players' capacity for idiocy. Blanco, Herron, Conde, Soumare, and Prideaux are prime candidates.

Guerrero looks good. And so does Crayton. Nice save on Rolfe.

Posted by: ahelms | August 16, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

these announcers and this ref suck.
Goff thanks for chiming in for the folks who can't watch.
I too thought yellow cards were given to those who ask for them.

Posted by: dadryan | August 16, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Why is the justin.tv streaming showing fc dalls vs. columbus?

Posted by: Spartan | August 16, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Crayton looks strong. Fred had a great goal. Hate Chicago. If this keeps up Wells is a backup again.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | August 16, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I like what I'm seeing in the net so far...Crayton seems really assertive on the ball and that diving save off of Rolfe's shot was great.

Posted by: Andy | August 16, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

From the Chicago fan article:

Blanco, who was signed in part to help grow the league's Hispanic fan base, defended Gaytan's firm Thursday and suggested the supporters should shoulder the blame.

"I feel that it's possible that the fans at the time were inebriated," he said. "When people are drunk, things can get out of hand and things can get crazy."

---------------------

Way to thrown your own fans under the bus, Blanco!!

Posted by: BK | August 16, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Blanco - "When people are drunk, things can get out of hand and things can get crazy."
--------------------------------

I guess Blanco was drunk then last time he played DC at the Soccerplex.

Posted by: ML | August 16, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Other than the goal and the number of cards, not much has happened in this game. Chicago has had 2 half-chances (Burch shielding off Herron, Crayton save on Rolfe), but not much else. They are having a bit more of the run of play, but not by much. Fred scored on our first genuine chance.

So far, our defending has been good enough. You have to worry about the bookings (justified or not), though. I see Weyland giving us a minimum of 2 more cards. We have no real star performances, but no one's having a bad night either. 6s and 5s all over. Emilio is struggling a bit since he's basically alone against both Conde and Soumare, who are giving him nothing and are cleanly bumping him when he goes for his first touch. They seem intent on not allowing him to face goal.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Crayton has everything to prove in the game. I like is assertiveness. Hopefully he is a better organizer on set pieces and directing the defense.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Louis had an impressive toss out to the halfway line. In other news, the Liberian track and field federation has announced Creighton as a late addition to the discus competition in the Olympics

Posted by: Glaucon | August 16, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I love you, CH

Posted by: person | August 16, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Mcbride 4 ever

Posted by: all fire fans | August 16, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

""I'd like to see us slow the game down, play simple, and keep possession to keep the 1-0 lead into halftime.""

And keep it organized defensively. We continue to leave gaps . . primarily when everyone pushes forward so fast that inevitably we cough the ball up with a bad pass and the other side finds us on the counter . . . it's been like this all season.

Posted by: delantero | August 16, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Crayton*

Posted by: Glaucon | August 16, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

That was some fantastic passing, best all season . . too bad Emilio is denied by the woodwork

Posted by: delantero | August 16, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

AHHH! Off the post!

Posted by: Andy | August 16, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Nice combo play by Moreno and Fred in front of the Chicago goal in the 48th minute. Fred hits the post! Fire clears.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

So close for #2 for Fred. Great stuff from Quaranta, Moreno, and Fred to cut through the Fire defense, and it's off the post.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the updates.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 16, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

great passing between Quaranta, Moreno and Fred before Fred hit the right post

Posted by: ahelms | August 16, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm shocked--shocked!--that Blanco is a schmuck.

high hopes for Crayton here.

Posted by: black shirt | August 16, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Luci has been quite so far this game. I wouldn't be surprised to see him poach a goal with the run his on.

Posted by: Forrest | August 16, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Viva Crayton!

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Herron nearly caught Crayton cheating there. Crayton was looking for Herron to lay it off for Blanco and came out hard. Fortunately for us, Herron kind of sucks.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

""Fortunately for us, Herron kind of sucks.""

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again. We need to prevent that service in midfield or he'll get one eventually

Posted by: d | August 16, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

did the Fire amble into a bar in Chicago, find the first two guys they saw and say: "do you want to be soccer announcers?" These guys are disasters. They make Marcelo Balboa sound like a sophisticated commentator.

Mr. Crayton needs to come off his line a little quicker. If he continues to make these slow decisions it could be a problem.

Posted by: diego r. | August 16, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing any minute now we're going to be seeing 2nd yellow on someone for United

Posted by: da le da le o o o | August 16, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I hate Blanco and his feigned injuries.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

So when do we make a sub, and who needs to come out?

Posted by: Forrest | August 16, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Conde gets a yellow card for shoving Moreno on the right sideline to break up a counter. Chicago's first card of the match.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

That's the 3rd time (this time it was Blanco) someone has been left unmarked just around our 18.

The foul on Fred? No card?!>! Great, another talking to?

Posted by: delantero | August 16, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

So when do we make a sub, and who needs to come out?

Posted by: Forrest | August 16, 2008 9:58 PM
---------

actually, it's more like "who comes in?" In the 80th minute or so we should sub out Quaranta for a defender. If it remains 1-0, no one is coming out.

As for Chicago - they should sub out Andy Herron because he is not very good.

Posted by: diego r. | August 16, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

d:

No doubt. I'd like to see us tighten up, but I'm not expecting it.

Mapp had a great chance to shoot with his right foot a minute ago, but he once again shows that he may be MLS's most one-footed player. Him or Burch, anyway.

Conde booked. Blanco off the bar, would have been a GOTW candidate. Now Tino is booked. We need to slow this thing down.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

re: the announcers. Not only are they horrible but they are the worst sort of homers. Whenever United get fouled, its a little touch but when a the Fire do, it clearly should be a yellow.

Posted by: John | August 16, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

whoo hoo! Andy Herron is out. Actually, that sucks for us.

Posted by: diego r. | August 16, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glaucon | August 16, 2008 9:39 PM
.........................................

I'm not sure Crayton is cap-tied in terms of football, and he surely isn't with respect to other sports. Thus, given his dual citizenship, the Swiss may also want to give him a look.

Posted by: The Jeff | August 16, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Dudes, I think this game is almost as intense as the last one in Chicago...
Martinez is totally Rad.

Posted by: dadryan | August 16, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I'd bring Vide for Moreno

Posted by: Straight to Soehn's head | August 16, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Conde almost scores an own goal on a header! But the keeper makes the save.

Don't hate on the Chicago announcers, folks. They're doing a good job. Just because they're not well known doesn't mean a thing about their soccer knowledge.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Vide coming in..

Posted by: Spartan | August 16, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Jaime! Say it ain't so!

Posted by: nooooooooo! | August 16, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

second yellow card for martinez

Posted by: Spartan | August 16, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Argh! You're killing me Jaime!

Posted by: Section 130 | August 16, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Now the idiot Chicago announcers are questioning Goff's reporting about Vide's contract status.

Posted by: Forrest | August 16, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

well don't they know that developmental players can play in games?

Posted by: dadryan | August 16, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Vide in for Quaranta.

Posted by: Section 130 | August 16, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

announcer: "I think Tim Weyland has been doing a pretty good job of managing the match. He's given the players the benefit of the doubt."

oh, and there's my quaranta for a defensive player sub

Posted by: diego r. | August 16, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Moreno pauses on a sitter...blows it.

Martinez get a yellow...fourth of the match for DC United!

Other than that, we're doing well with killing off the match in the 71st minute. The honeymoon with Crayton continues!

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Vide's up. Fire announcers, like many others, mistakenly believe that demotion to the developmental roster means you are no longer with the club. I'm not sure when people lost their handle on that one.

You know, if we don't salt this one away, Fred hitting the post and Moreno missing the ball just now are going to make it that much harder to swallow. We haven't been great tonight, but this game should be over.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Emilio is a crusader. He's been taking some big hits and not taking the dive. Any touch on Blanco and he's like a feather, tossed gently into the air. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but this is just a perfect example of class and toughness versus scum and villainy.

Posted by: Andy | August 16, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Announcers paraphrase . . . "I think the refs are doing a fine job. He talks to some of the players (insert Chicago) and gives them a chance. He gives cards to the ones that deserve it (insert United)"

Posted by: piss orff | August 16, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

nope, only the first.

I will never get why the referees protect that diving little b*#&* Blanco so much.

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

wow fred. just missed the ball

Posted by: Spartan | August 16, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

so card for Crayton
is that six or five yellow cards?

Posted by: Spartan | August 16, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Most frequent word on matchtracker is "Foul."

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 16, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Are you KIDDING me?? Is that FIVE yellows now??

Posted by: Andy | August 16, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

DC -- Clyde Simms 12
DC -- Bryan Namoff 22
DC -- Devon McTavish 38
CHI -- Wilman Conde 63
DC -- Santino Quaranta 65
DC -- Gonzalo Martinez 71
DC -- CRAYTON 75th

ARE YOU KIDDING?! What a joke.

Posted by: ref is on the Fire payroll | August 16, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Guerrero's a good pickup for DCU.

I didn't hear the announcers questioning Goff's reporting about Vide's being demoted to developmental status. It's just puzzling that he'd receive this sort of news when the team is giving him a lot of minutes. I think that's what they said.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Crayton comes out for the corner

Posted by: Spartan | August 16, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Discipline:
DC -- Clyde Simms (caution; Tactical Foul) 12
DC -- Bryan Namoff (caution; Tactical Foul) 22
DC -- Devon McTavish (caution; Reckless Tackle) 38
CHI -- Wilman Conde (caution; Reckless Foul) 63
DC -- Santino Quaranta (caution; Unsporting Behavior) 65
DC -- Gonzalo Martinez (caution; Tactical Foul) 71
DC -- Louis Crayton (caution; Delaying a Restart) 77

That's six yellows for DC, one for Chicago. Wow.

Posted by: Andy | August 16, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Announcer actually suggested that Bryan Namoff was lazy . .

He truly doesn't know what he is talking about

Posted by: shut up already | August 16, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Guerrero is playing very well. He looks like he want to show Chicago they were wrong to leave him unprotected.

DC now has 6 bookings to 1 for Chicago. We've been the more physical side, but this is ridiculous. Crayton just got one for timewasting after about 6 seconds on a goal kick.

This is going to be a long last 10 minutes.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow, beat me by a few seconds, ref is the on the Fire payroll...

Posted by: Andy | August 16, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Crayton rocks! Great save on the corner. 80th minute, and he keeps his clean sheet.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

christian miles: we know who your parents are! they are in Chicago , announcing and watching their very first soccer game

Posted by: diego r. | August 16, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

"Namoff's either tired or lazy or both."

Hey announcer you are either an idiot, an ignorant fool, or most likely, both.

Posted by: I'm with stupid. | August 16, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Im surprised that the ref didnt call a penalty for chicago for mcbrides dive

Posted by: Spartan | August 16, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

As great as Crayton has been playing, I'm really satisfied with our D too. They've been solid.

Posted by: Andy | August 16, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

5 minutes + injury time, let's get out with 3!!!

Posted by: delantero | August 16, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Crayton is a mad man!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Thompson in for..umm idk i think fred

Posted by: Spartan | August 16, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I think Chicago still thinks that Wells is our goalie with all of these lazy crosses that aren't driven.

Posted by: Forrest | August 16, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

What is Louis Crayton's favorite charity? I'd like to make a donation in his name.

If my wife has another baby, I'm naming him Louis.

I love this guy. Wells, sit your butt on that bench.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Once again, wide open player out our 18,

we got lucky there

Posted by: 7 yellows now | August 16, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

sixth yellow card
for burch

Posted by: Spartan | August 16, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Another card, why not?

Posted by: Section 130 | August 16, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Yellow to Burch for grabbing Nyarko's jersey! 88th minute

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Make it seven.

Posted by: Andy | August 16, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

the fire annoucner are now talking about the chicago bears

Posted by: Spartan | August 16, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Blanco's a tool for some of his decision-making on set pieces. What does Sven see in him?

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

If this game was being officiated evenly for both teams, Rolfe would have just gotten a booking. Not that he deserved one, but the things we've gotten yellows for are just as bad.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

4 minutes of stoppage--yikes.

Posted by: John | August 16, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

4 minutes of stoppage? No way

Posted by: home field advantage | August 16, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I wanna know how Burch's foul is a yellow and Rolfe shoving Guerrero is not. I'm confused...

Posted by: Andy | August 16, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

"There's a flag..uggh I mean whistle"

Maybe find an announcer who knows something about soccer.

Posted by: bret | August 16, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

what on earth just happened? how did that not go in?

Posted by: diego r. | August 16, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

woah.. so close.. crossed in and crayton got a hand to it.. left it for mcbride.. and burch cleared it on the line

Posted by: Spartan | August 16, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I can only imagine how intense this game is (not to mention important) and we get no TV coverage.

If I could curse on this forum I f'ing would!

Posted by: F U_NO TV | August 16, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

dudes, did anyone else almost shart their pants when that ball got loose from Crayton?

Posted by: dadryan | August 16, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

beating the dead horse but cards can go both ways. Players hitting the keeper?! And finally

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I love our boys. 93rd minute. Victory is nearly at hand!

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

30 seconds, let's go!

Posted by: I'll take 3 points, Alex | August 16, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

YEEEEE HAAAAAAW!

Posted by: bite me blanco | August 16, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

YES FINNALY ITS OVER!!!
FRANKOWSKI PULLED DOWN IN THE BOX NO FOUL..
AT LEAST ITS OVER.. ANOTHER ROAD WIN!

Posted by: Spartan | August 16, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Dear Chicago Fire fans:

Yoink!

Thanks,
DC United

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 16, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Good job. Good 3 points

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

These guys are almost as bad as Feldman. That was a total dive in the box.

Posted by: Forrest | August 16, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I hope Wells was taking notes...

Posted by: Crippled Keeper | August 16, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Sod off bad officiating,
sod off bad announcing,
three points, on to New England.

Posted by: Section 130 | August 16, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Great no-call. Finally something goes DC's way. Even if it were a close call, which it may be, even after seeing the replay, that's definitely karma coming back to put out the Fire. Great match for the boys, even amidst a terrible reffing environment.

Posted by: Andy | August 16, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Crayton had a good game he controlled his box

Posted by: CH | August 16, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Do we have any suspensions due to yellow accumulation?

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

great day for washington sports fan..
DC WON!
REDSKINS WON!
no one really cares about the nat's..

Posted by: Spartan | August 16, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Crayton is a god. Go to hell Wells.

Posted by: bob | August 16, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Sweet victory! See how quickly Crayton got his first MLS clean sheet?

Okay, I admit those announcers are homers. Frankowski and McTavish were holding each other, it seems, and when Frankowski falls down, they assume it should be a penalty.

I hate the Fire more than NYRB cuz of what they've done to us in recent years.

I'd say send Gallardo back on the next plane to Buenos Aires, but I guess we need him to beat the Revs and the Dynamo, who are both the class of the league.

I wonder if Soehn's player selection or subs will be influenced by all the players who are carrying yellows.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

second shut out of the year! Crayton looks good on crosses but still needs to come off his line quicker.

the Fire play much better against DC United in RFK than they do in Chicago.

between the ref and the announcers, I don't know which was more disastrous. I will say this: I'll trade seven yellow cards for not calling a penalty with ten seconds to go.

Posted by: diego r. | August 16, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

THERE IS HOPE! THERE IS HOPE! CRAYTON IS A BIG BLACK STALLION! I LOVE IT!!!!

Posted by: ANTHONY | August 16, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Player Games Played Shutouts

Zach Wells 17 1

Louis Crayton 1 1

Posted by: CY | August 16, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for the Good, The Bad, and the Ugly or the game wrap up by Goff. There was lots to talk about in this one.

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I didnt have a good look at the game, but who cares we won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: The Jim | August 16, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if Crayton generally gets called up for Liberian national team matches and how will that affect his availability for DCU for the rest of the season?

Doe seemed to have a nightmare getting his passport from the Liberian FA after his time there, which led to his delay in coming back to DC.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

""I'll trade seven yellow cards for not calling a penalty with ten seconds to go.""

True, but it wasn't a foul. BOth of them were holding and the Polack fell forward after McTbone was already on the ground.

Posted by: kj;lkj | August 16, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow. You guys have a goalkeeper now.

Posted by: paintgreen | August 16, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

What a difference a quality keeper makes! First start, first clean sheet. We can only get better once Perralta comes back.

Crayton looked very, very solid and sure on the crosses, aggressive coming out, this is going to get good, folks

Posted by: RRP | August 16, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Crayton retired from international play in March I think

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 10:37 PM
-----------------------------------------
Crayton retired from International Football in May this year

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Fred!

Posted by: dadryan | August 16, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

speaking of refereeing, did anyone catch that MLS ref Jair Maruffa called the Netherlands / Argentina game at the Olympics this morning and did a pretty good job. Fortunately, they didn't send this guy...

Posted by: diego r. | August 16, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Anonymous for the correction.

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Anonymous and DC in Ashville.

That's very good news. Crayton does need to come off his line a bit quicker, but we have a keeper.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

SJ up 1-0 against NE. Go SJ

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

nice win:
great mental toughness
jaime looked tired
2 great opportunities unfinished
trouble ahead for wednesday
guerrero on national team duty and martinez suspended for cards
dyachenko not on match day roster
is he out the door?
very unbalanced referring

Posted by: rob | August 16, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Do we have any suspensions due to yellow accumulation?

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 10:32 PM

Tony said Martinez sits out in NE.

Posted by: dr | August 16, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

CONGRATS boys! Crayton's debute shut out and win. McBride's debute lose like a cry baby.

Posted by: td | August 16, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks dr, he will be missed but this was the best game I have seen Burch play in the middle. Maybe a sign of things to come and if we get Perralta back this could we might be able to cope

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Rest Crayton so he can get used to the boys, eh?

Nice effort on the clean sheet, but solid defensive performance all around. I;m not one to beat a dead horse, but our defensive problems could have been greatly caused by the D's lack of confidence in Wells.

Nice to bag all 3 points.

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh | August 16, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

SJ play in two different places eh?
This place really looks like a fun little place to have a game, it looks packed everytime they are there. What's it's name, and am I mistaken but don't they also play in the Coliseum in Oakland?

Posted by: dadryan | August 16, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko wasn't even on the bench? Sounds like depth! Thank goodness!

Hey, first time I had to listen to the game on radio -- Tony Limarzi rocks!

Crayton sounds solid. And I've been pulling for Quaranta in the middle. Nice to see this come together. When Gallardo gets back in the mix, we'll be golden.

Given the dominance of Houston and New England, I'm looking forward to backing the dark horse DCU as they come to the forefront and earn another star...

Vamos!

Posted by: homer | August 16, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, hopefully Reis wont be available Wed (just left the SJ game with an ab injury)

Posted by: LN Hunter | August 16, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Ries? I was watching the olympics and Phelps

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

nice chance by SJ unfortunate.

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

is 7 yellows without a red some kind of record? Is Martinez out for Wednesday? I think he was on the list for suspension on next yellow.

I take back my worry about Burch. I thought he and McTavish managed to handle McBride pretty well.

Thank goodness Soehn didn't listen to everyone here who wanted him to wait until next Saturday to play Crayton.

SJ scores again! SJ 2-0 NE

Posted by: Glenn | August 16, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

The good guys won, but that was some of the most outcome-oriented officiating I've seen this season. I'm really tired of the Center Refs using "man-management" as an excuse for their poor judgment.

Posted by: Carnack (the Referee) | August 16, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

SJ scored again. They are looking like they could make a strong push for the playoffs

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

San Jose Quakes 2, NE Revs 0.

How the mighty have fallen. Maybe we'll take the Revs first team on the road this Wednesday.

I'm goin' to sleep.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | August 16, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Ok I know I may have had one too many drinks tnite. But am i seeing this right? Just got home to see we won, had a clean sheet, and 7 yellows. 7 wtf.

Also, MLS has Carreiro listed a GwG. Had no idea that was Fred's last name.

Posted by: Sec 131 | August 16, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

SJ 3-nil

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Steve Nicol's plan backfired big time - rest your regulars against DCU in the USOC Semi-Final so that the first team is rested to play SJ (Revs getting destroyed by the Quakes 3-0).

Posted by: Oliver | August 16, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Sec 131- Ugly officiating but we pulled it out. You could still read the recap so not too many ;-)

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Really important for this team to get a 1:0 win. Did anyone else notice that DC's two road wins this season have both come at Chicago?

With a solid goalkeeper, this team will play with more confidence, and much more success. It would go without saying, had we not just endured such a nightmare with Wells.

Not sure, but I think SJ plays in the Coliseum only when Beckham is in town.

Posted by: black shirt | August 16, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Bears repeating, Walter Dix (US Bronze) on Usain Bolt's 9.69 WR run:

"He can run."

Posted by: LN Hunter | August 16, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

this is getting ugly. SJ 4-0 WOW

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Also bears repeating in watching SJ spank NE right now:

"Doug Warren Sucks."

Posted by: LN Hunter | August 16, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Maybe there is something to a D not having confidence in a keeper, aka Wells and DC

Posted by: dc in asheville | August 16, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe you all.

DCU wins, on the road, with a goal from a corner and a shutout. There's no way.

Posted by: RK | August 17, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dadryan | August 16, 2008 10:56 PM

That's Buck Shaw Stadium in Santa Clara. Was originally a baseball park, then converted for SCU soccer, and then upgraded for the Quakes. Good access from local mass transit too. They use McAfee for Beckham games -- well, at least this year.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 17, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Person,Rob and other losers,why on earth DYACHENKO is your target?????????????????Fix your vision, repair your brain and do not send those stupid messages.Don't you see that you do not have supporters?I ALSO DOUBT THAT YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SOCCER.

Posted by: Wise | August 17, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

San Jose beats New England 4-0; and, they lost their keeper (Reis) to an abductor strain (muscle)--he was taken off in the 2nd half. They said they don't know how long he will be out.

Posted by: Leo | August 17, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

I don't think you can rate a keeper off the performance in a single match.

Posted by: Bart | August 17, 2008 6:32 AM | Report abuse

Ahhh, thanks for the info Sportznut21. I guess that must have been a game vs the Gals a week or two ago that I caught a bit of.
It caught my eye because we drove past the Coliseum when we flew out of Oakland on vacation in July.
Again, Buck Shaw looks like some fun. I would guess it could be bigger, but packed stands always look better than empty ones.

Posted by: dadryan | August 17, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse