Mo Edu on the Move?

Never mind that Bruce Arena was hangin' at Home Depot Center with Galaxy execs, that the Los Angeles derby ended in a tie and that T&T defeated El Salvador, 3-1, in a fiesty friendly at RFK, thanks to Cornell Glen's two goals.

Here's the big news:

Two sources tell me that Toronto FC midfielder Maurice Edu, a USA Olympic starter and an emerging national team candidate, is close to joining Glasgow Rangers. I am told the transfer fee would approach $5 million. It's not a done deal, but the sides are apparently nearing an agreement.

Edu, the No. 1 overall pick from Maryland and rookie of the year last season, is scheduled to join the U.S. national team in Miami on Sunday to prepare for Wednesday's World Cup qualifier at Guatemala.

If a deal is reached, Edu would join several other MLS and U.S. players in changing clubs this summer, including another Wasserman Media Group client, goalkeeper Brad Guzan, who moved to Aston Villa from Chivas USA for an estimated $1.2 million. Let's not forget Altidore, Adu, Toja, Feilhaber (probably), Bocanegra, Noonan, Wolff, Gibbs, Lewis (?), Cunningham, McBride, Jaqua.....

By Steve Goff  |  August 15, 2008; 12:40 AM ET
Categories:  MLS , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Feilhaber Update
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

a Tie!!!
dammit i just shut it off to go to bed, silly me!

Posted by: voododiver | August 15, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

This is great news for Mo... a great local product...

Posted by: DCU | August 15, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

I posted a match report on the previous thread that complements Steve's. Some differences: I counted 4 reds and 10-on-10. I thought that one of the ES players who was sent off (#4, the guy with the blonde tips on his brown hair) has just been subbed out.

Nevertheless, great atmosphere. And, I've said this before, it's stirring when ALL the fans sing their respective national anthems, instead of just moronically shouting "O!"

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

is Edu UK work-permit eligible?

Posted by: frank | August 15, 2008 1:28 AM | Report abuse

==============

Friedel and maybe Keller. I also changed clubs (Sam's to Costco).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2008 1:33 AM | Report abuse

I suppose this is good for him.

Posted by: sitruc | August 15, 2008 2:17 AM | Report abuse

Yes, good for Edu.
Perhaps not so good for MLS. But, a buch of money coming in to the league and TFC. Did we not read earlier that TFC has a ton of allocation money already and may pursue Ruiz?
I don't know but, I'd rather have
a)Edu and allocation money than
b)Ruiz, no allocation money and no Edu.

Posted by: marksman | August 15, 2008 2:32 AM | Report abuse

Mo has a Nigerian passport (i think)...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 2:37 AM | Report abuse

This is great news for Mo... a great local product...

Posted by: DCU | August 15, 2008 1:19 AM

---------

Local as in Fontana, a gritty part of SoCal's Inland Empire. Same place that gave us Ante Razov, who hated Fontana after living in Long Beach until 9th grade. Quite a difference between Long Beach and Fontana.

Word at HDC was that Bruce has already signed to become Galaxy coach. Not sure that's true, but that was the buzz.

Posted by: Troy | August 15, 2008 3:55 AM | Report abuse

A-Rod to O'Reilly to Hucles for the tap-in.

Posted by: tri-village | August 15, 2008 6:16 AM | Report abuse

It's a great move for Edu, and a bad one for Toronto FC and the MLS. The talent drian on the MLS continues this summer and I have a feeling that there could be one or two more moves overseas for players from the Olympic Squad, specifically players who hold Eruopean passports.
-SK and SH come to mind.

Posted by: Johnny | August 15, 2008 6:37 AM | Report abuse

USA-Canada in a lightning delay. USA (the network) switched to Brasil-Norway. Daniela had a 32-yard golazo for the Canarinhas just before the half.

Posted by: tri-village | August 15, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

It's not bad for MLS, or else they would not sell Edu, or any other prospects like him for that matter. Selling promising players is part of MLS's business model, like it or not. Of course I as a fan would like to see Edu remain stateside, but the fact is our league sells players. And of course every leage sells players, even the Premier League.

Posted by: Ron | August 15, 2008 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Some very nice highlight-quality goals scored in the LA-Chivas match. A good crowd and a great atmosphere at the HDC, especially for a Thursday night. A good showcase for the league. I just wish Chivas drew better for their other matches.

Posted by: Ron | August 15, 2008 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Great move for Edu.

Posted by: strago | August 15, 2008 7:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm hoping MLS learned from the Eddie Johnson Benfica ordeal and they sell Edu for $5mill. I doubt that his going rate goes much higher WHILE he's playing in MLS.

I'm also hoping against all hope that at some point these transfer fees are allowed to be fully used in bringing in/back top talent.

Posted by: Drew-ROC | August 15, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

ES fans throwing crap at the T&T bench? Color me shocked!

Posted by: NotSurprised | August 15, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Does anybody have an approximate breakdown of transfers fees paid to, and by, MLS for players over the past couple years? I'm talking money in vs. money out.

Posted by: grotus | August 15, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

It is strange, but I was actually thinking that Scotland would be a good place for him to start in Europe. It is a faster game, and I think it will add a bit of toughness to his midfield role that he had lacked.
Now he will be at a top two team and have Beasley there as well so all the better.

Posted by: jgildea | August 15, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Sinclair brings Canada level from 22 yards out. Because of the lightning delay, people can watch this game live on USA until well after 9:00 a.m. EDT.

Posted by: tri-village | August 15, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

this is not bad for TFC.

Edu has been quite mediocre this year (sophomore slump?). Seriously, fans have been on his case for bad passes, floating around, not tackling, having no touch when he has a chance to score etc...

Yet for some reason Edu gets hyped beyond his actually performance on the field. Getting on the FIFA 09 cover was a shocker for TFC fans.
Marvell Wynne has been more effective and important to the team than Edu has, but you never hear of Wynne going to Europe or getting on the cover of FIFA 09.

Posted by: satan | August 15, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Is Arena some sort of masochist? First he goes to our hated rivals and perpetually messed up NY/NJ, and now he wants to coach our hated rivals and totally screwed up LAG?

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I do think Edu has been through a bit of a slump this year and that he is definitely capable of more. At this point, we dont have the depth where we can give him up but I do think its a good move to let him go. Ill be disappointed if he does come back to the MLS anytime soon and plays for anyone but TFC. Especially as he will be over this slump.

Posted by: Ossington Mental Youth | August 15, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I do think people have been a bit too hard on Edu and expected too much. That being said, hes been surround by more talent and has had different demands made of him and he hasnt produced in the manner that was expected.
Dude defo has talent and will be a great player.

Posted by: Ossington Mental Youth | August 15, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Good for Edu and great price if it goes through. The more players we have in Europe, the better for our national team. Im sure Edu is trying to get it all together to make it on the roster for South Africa in 2years.

Posted by: kevin | August 15, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Just turned on in the 75th. Lots of sloppy passing from the US. Have we strung 3 passes together this half?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I reiterate, Any team that let's a player go to another league for more than 2 million dollars should be allocated a designated player spot.

Posted by: lprevolution | August 15, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I haven't seen a lot of the US women since the last world cup, but they appear to have devolved a bit in skill. For that matter, the Canadians are crap too. I remember these top flight women's teams always being surprising good, but this is... meh. Solo is, however, quite strong.

Posted by: OlympicWatcher | August 15, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

KAAAAIIIIII!!!!!

Posted by: tri-village | August 15, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

K A I !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boxx cross. Kai header.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OlympicWatcher | August 15, 2008 9:28 AM
=========================================

Are you making due allowance for the lousy conditions on the pitch, as well as the fact that they are in extra time? The first USA goal, before the lightning delay, was an excellent example of combination play.

Posted by: tri-village | August 15, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Lightning delay? I thought the Chinese could control the weather.

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

How about the fumbling on nbcolympics.com. Lots of streaming problems (and they admit it). It's forcing me to be productive this morning - really disapointing.

Posted by: Old Colt | August 15, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Nice play by Kai to chase a ball on the left. Sends it back to Cheney at the top of the box, but her shot goes wide.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Golden chance for US goes wide...

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Mitts made my heart stop on that one - and not for the usual reasons.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Maurice Edu is by far the most talented player to ever wear a Crystal Palace Baltimore jersey (back when the side was launching as PDL in '06 he played in the friendly between the CPB and the parent club). As a CPB supporter and Terp fan I can tell you that we are all very proud of him.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 15, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

2-1 Final.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Surprised there is not a US Women's thread going this morning but this looks like the spot. I'm stuck here at the office without being able to download the video. I see the US is up 2-1 right? How much time is left?

Posted by: Dsmac | August 15, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Japan 1-0 over China at the half; winner to face USA.

Posted by: tri-village | August 15, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

game over

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Never mind. I must have been typing just as I-270 reported the score. Thanks I-270!

Posted by: Dsmac | August 15, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

We play the winner of China-Japan. Brazil plays the winner of Sweden-Germany. No doubt the Chinese government is spying on our team meetings.

Everyone talk in ig-pay atin-lay.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

The Feilhaber-to-AGF transfer is a done deal:
How's your Danish, Benny?

Posted by: schmuckatelli | August 15, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I just got to rewind and review the gamewinning play, frame by frame. If Kai was onside, it wasn't by much. Also, I have to wonder whether LeBlanc made a mistake by not coming off her line. She would only have had to come out four yards to meet Kai at the spot where the ball came down.

During the delay, they switched to the other game (Brasil-Norway). I'll give credit to Adrian Healey for tailoring his pronunciation of "schedule" for American audiences. Or perhaps the Eurosnobs out there would prefer to hear "shed-yool".

Posted by: tri-village | August 15, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Or perhaps the Eurosnobs out there would prefer to hear "shed-yool".

Posted by: tri-village | August 15, 2008 10:29 AM

Don't worry, "Eurosnobs" are not watching women's Olympic soccer. Proper football season is upon us. ;-)

Posted by: Kev | August 15, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | August 15, 2008 10:29 AM

============================

I watched that too. I normally am a fan of Lori Walker calling the games, but today it was like someone gave her a script. Every time the feed cut to a Brazilian player smiling (especially after they went up 2-0) she kept prattling on and on about "joy" and "passion." Seemed like she said it 50 times. As for that game, I thought Brazil looked beatable. Their keeper is suspect and their back line will make mistakes. And I don't know about joy and passion, I saw a lot of cheap shot fouls, and histrionics on the receiving end. Formiga went down once, and forgot for a moment which leg she was pretending was hurt. She grabbed one, then the other. I am hoping for Marta v. Mitts and Rampone . . . and waiting for Goff's thread on USWNT.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 15, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

How's your Danish, Benny?

Posted by: schmuckatelli | August 15, 2008 10:27 AM
===============

Mine's pretty good. I got the cream cheese danish.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Mmmm, cream cheese danish....

Posted by: Homer Simpson | August 15, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Re: US women "skills devolving" - it's not that...back in the day, I would argue that we weren't all that great either, it's just that the rest of the world wasn't that far into playing women's football. Now that they are starting to catch up, our weaknesses are being exposed.

Posted by: C-hawk | August 15, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I'd agree with C-hawk - the rest of the world has caught up.

One of the hardest parts of watching the WNT play for me has always been poor finishing, even back in the day when they had no peer. They regularly get 20-25 chances in a game and put away a tiny fraction of them.

Posted by: maw | August 15, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Where does Cornell Glenn play these days? He was a pretty good MLS forward and seems to have been cut loose by the Galactic geniuses as they embarked on the Beckham circus last year. Could be an affordable option to an MLS team trying to add attacking talent.

I thought Bruce Arena and Paul Bravo were wearing identical suits as they were sitting in the stands! If Bruce is already abiding by the corporate dress code memo he's gotta be just about guaranteed to be on the payroll soon.

Posted by: garbaggio | August 15, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

sorry to ref. However, I do not ever remember insiders spoiling. this is NOT an in-game thread.

Posted by: lprevolution | August 15, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Fontana is the armpit of SoCal, if not the butthole....:)

Posted by: frank | August 15, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

There's a reason why Fontana is known as "Fon-tucky"...and it's not Auto Club Speedway. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 15, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"Where does Cornell Glenn play these days? He was a pretty good MLS forward and seems to have been cut loose by the Galactic geniuses as they embarked on the Beckham circus last year"

Outside of a brace in one game (the total of his goal scoring for LA) Cornell Glenn was like Carlos Pavon without the ball handling skills...

Posted by: Eric B | August 15, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Eric B,

I didn't see all of Cornell Glen's MLS games but I remember some highlight quality goals. He scored 12 in 2,455 minutes w FOUR teams in just over 2 seasons. Those aren't Luciano Emilio stats but they're still better than 90% of the forwards that pass through MLS.

Maybe he doesn't fit in well if he went through so many teams so quickly? Could also be a factor of counting as a foreign player on MLS team rosters (a restriction which has since been lessened).

Cornell Glen (and every other player whose last name begins with G) career stats from MLSnet:

Posted by: garbaggio | August 15, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Dammit! I woke up early and was watching the game, but fell asleep near the end of regulation and missed the goal.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | August 15, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Rangers is a mess of a club, didn't they just get knocked out of europe during qualifying, and their books are upside down. Outside of Celtic, Rangers SPL is very poor.

Posted by: Thora | August 15, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to thank Goff and any others who operate this blog.

You can never thank good work too many times.

Posted by: spectre | August 15, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lprevolution | August 15, 2008 11:46 AM
==========================================

You must be a newbie (at least relatively speaking), as there has always been in-game commentary on this blog (in *all* threads), with Goff's explicit blessing.

Posted by: tri-village | August 15, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Ron:

I agree the LA-Chivas game had a nice atmosphere, but as an advertisement for MLS it was awful. There were more needless midfield turnovers in that game than in your average local high school game. Actually, during the game I thought to myself that this is what your average snob fan thinks of when they badmouth MLS: sloppy play in midfield, bad defending, and questionable officiating. Now, I can't say I'm surprised, since LA is in turmoil and has been bad at keeping possession and defending all year, while Chivas has about half their team injured.

***

Nice for Mo financially, and at Rangers he will be in the spotlight. Even if you acknowledge that the Scottish league minus the Old Firm is no better than MLS (quick evidence to bolster claim: Kenny Deuchar), Mo will be under so much more pressure. That's good for him; he can't take games off and get away with it. Plus, he should get regular play in European competition (excluding this year, since Rangers managed to get knocked out of the CL qualifying a round too early to parachute into the UEFA Cup; this is an anomaly, though).

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 15, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Not all players in the Scottish Premier league are as bad as Kenny Deuchar. He was a lower league player who scored a lot of goals in those leagues. He played for Gretna who were promoted 3 seasons in a row, the only reason for this being money (they went bust and are now extinct).
Kenny Deuchar was basically a part time footballer/Doctor until he played for Gretna. His goalscoring wasn't nearly as prolific in the Premier League and I don't think he was good enough for the Premier League.
Mo Edu hopefully will be a good signing for us, just like Claudio Reyna and DeMarcus Beasley (shame about his injury last term when he was playing well)

Posted by: A Glasgow Ranger | August 21, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse