Morning Kickaround

*The USA women are headed to the semifinals for the ninth consecutive major international tournament since 1991 (World Cup and Olympics) after edging Canada, 2-1, on Natasha Kai's overtime goal. For the match report, statistics and photos, click here.

On Monday in Beijing, the Americans will face Japan, a 2-0 winner over China. In group play, the USA edged the Japanese, 1-0.

In the other semifinal, Brazil -- which held off Norway, 2-1 -- will play world champion Germany, which needed overtime to defeat Sweden, 2-0.

*The story we broke early in the week -- Benny Feilhaber to AGF Aarhus -- is done. Take a look at him in his new kit -- and practice your Danish -- by clicking here.

*Read the Los Angeles Times' story about the Galaxy-Chivas USA match and Bruce Arena's appearance at HDC.

I will be back in a little while with some thoughts on Kenny Cooper's omission from the U.S. national team roster.

By Steve Goff  |  August 15, 2008; 10:48 AM ET
Categories:  Olympics , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mo Edu on the Move?
Next: Crayton Is Eligible

Comments

1. With all those sponsors, it looks like a a NASCAR jersey.

2. Sponsored by hummel, the little figurines?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Hummel, a Danish company...

So, do you email Ives

"Ives,

Regarding Feilhaber. Pwned"

Posted by: RK | August 15, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

FINISH!!!! That game could have been 5-1 US in regulation. I fail to understand why coach has not ended this experiment with Hucles at forward, when she's got Kai sitting on the bench (although Kai's 3 or 4 offsides in 20 minutes may supply one clue). 22 shots, only 8 on goal, and several huge opportunities when attacking players could not even get the ball off their foot because of errant first touches. Canada played really ugly, got an opportunitistic (but great) goal from Sinclair, and hung tough.

I thought US looked pretty good, especially O'Reilly, Chalupny, Rampone and Mitts (except the bad throw-in on the CAN goal). Lloyd is making poor decisions with the ball so often that after 4 games Chastain has stopped commenting on it. The play was way ragged in the last 10-15 minutes of regulation and through overtime, but they were out there a helluva long time in awful conditions, "as long as it takes to win."

WNT needs to finish chances, and eliminate costly blunders in the back to win.

Anybody see Germany game?

Posted by: OWNTF | August 15, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Well with all the great strikers the USA has at their disposal it is understandable why they left Kenny home...

Posted by: jgildea | August 15, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

""Was he interviewing Arena for the vacant Galaxy coaching job or the vacant president and GM position?

"You don't interview Bruce Arena," Leiweke said.""

Huh? Maybe this kind of hero worship is why the Galaxy stink.

Posted by: delantero | August 15, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Arena to Los Angeles, eh? Interesting.

"Welcome to the jungle
We got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey we know the names
We are the people that can find
Whatever you may need
If you got the money, honey
We got your disease..."

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 15, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Aarhus is a nice city. I would not mind living and working there. Mild winters and great summers, with a fantastic live music scene and close to some great beachers where bikini tops are generally optional.

I would also not mind having Benny's skills or being a professional footballer.

Posted by: Drew-ROC | August 15, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I was watching Washington Post live last night on CSN and they were interviewing Daniel Snyder (owner of the skins) - he was asked the question about whether the skins would move out of FedEx field and back into DC. He basically said there were no plans to do so because FedEx is relatively new and the plans would only be way further down the road. The FedEx contract I think is 20yrs with Washington.

So would this be good news for DC?

Posted by: Anthony The Great | August 15, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

"Mild winters and great summers, with a fantastic live music scene and close to some great beachers where bikini tops are generally optional."
=====
Dude, you just described Haymarket! Well, except for that last point...

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 15, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Germany scored twice on Sweden in extra time. So I guess the semis are set: Germany-Brasil; USA-Japan.

Posted by: tri-village | August 15, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

anyone catch the comments after the Leiweke interview last night concerning Guillet and what an absolutely lousy coach he is? Harkes was really emphasizing the it wasn't Lawless who brought him in. Anyway; not really sure why Arena is being put on such a pedastal. He has had an absolutely awful record since (and including) the WC in germany. It's not like he's a savior or something.

Posted by: hacksaw | August 15, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jgildea | August 15, 2008 11:12 AM

-------------------------------------

Army of indignant Cooper fans will be along to miss the sarcasm in 3... 2...

Posted by: Kenobi | August 15, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Benny looks very happy. Wonder what the $$ were?

OWNTF - you are absolutely correct. US was attacking the 18 yard box, not the goal. Too many completely wasted opportunities to score. Mia and/or Abby would have had their usual field day in that game.

Posted by: JMR | August 15, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

-----
-----

Why this focus on Cooper? Weren't a lot of other players "omitted" from the U.S. national team roster (just for this game at Guatemala)?

Why no comments on Robbie Rogers' omission, or Edson Buddle's omission, or Marvell Wynne's omission?

Posted by: So many players, so few spots | August 15, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Cooper is holding out in case Ghana calls him!

If you jumble the letters in the name Hucles, can you make it sound like clueless?

Posted by: Falc | August 15, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I think I need a day off...

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 15, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Can you talk about Adu and Beasley not being part of next week's WC Qualifier match? Is it due to club commitments, injuries or something else?

Thanks.

Posted by: Tim F. | August 15, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

"If Mo Edu worked for Univ of Maryland, would his email address be mo.edu@umd.edu?

I think I need a day off..."

--------
Sure, try tomorrow for starters....

Posted by: 22206 | August 15, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

EJ has no business being on the Nats roster. Should be spending all his spare time kissing Hodgson's arse.

If not for the expanded rosters in the EPL (think I'm right on that), EJ would have to take a picture of the bench to remember what it looks like.

Posted by: SeaOtter | August 15, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Benny sure looks happy to be wearing that fugly jersey.

Good luck BF! Glad to see you made it out of Derby. Fight for those minutes my man.

Posted by: SeaOtter | August 15, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be better if he worked for the University of Missouri?

Day off tomorrow, you say?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Aarhus, in the middle of our street
Aarhus, in the middle of our ...

Aarhus, was our castle and our keep
Aarhus, in the middle of our street

Aarhus, that was where we used to sleep
Aarhus, in the middle of our street

Posted by: AM | August 15, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm thrilled the USA beat Canada ... and I even slept during the weather delay.

However, I'm sick of Brandi Chastain and her endless blather. She rants about stupid stuff, offers plenty of cliches, makes ignorant and obvious comments and talks about how the most important thing for the USA's success is that the team be of the same psychological mindset. I hope that mindset isn't "neurotic." Why does NBC/ESPN put her on the air? Is it because she's American? Is it because she's a former member of the USWNT?

I caught some of the China-Japan game and had the pleasure of listening to Adrian Heatley calling the play-by-play. Heatley is informative, knowledgeable, charming and well-spoken. He not only identified the Japanese and Chinese players instantly, he pronounced their names flawlessly. Heatley is professional and a pleasure to listen to.

More Heatley, please.

Get rid of Brandi and Balboa.

Posted by: United fan in TN | August 15, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I'll correct my spelling ...

Adrian Healy.

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | August 15, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I think I need a day off..."

--------
Joe Doc, you are one funny amerikansk. Thanks for the laugh. Seriously.

Posted by: birdy | August 15, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I think I need a day off..."

--------

joe doc you are one funny amerikansk. thanks for the laugh. seriously.

Posted by: birdy | August 15, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Brandi is a fine girl.

Posted by: Looking Glass | August 15, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

The only explanation I can have for the omission of Cooper is that Cooper and Bradley have something personal going on....or maybe with Cooper and his old man?

Posted by: frank | August 15, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frank | August 15, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I like Chastain. During the match she kept emphasizing that players focus on "details" and then gave examples. She also is critical of players when they miss a "detail." Two examples, she got on Mitts for trying to play a ball to her feet when she had the opportunity to head the ball away. Another, at the end when Mitts had a breakaway with about a minute left. Mitts shot instead of simply dribbling to the corner. Chastain pointed out that Mitts isn't an attacker and made a lousy choice for her shot. I think that type of analysis is important. Now, don't get me started about Balboa.

Posted by: griffin1108 | August 15, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Brandi is a fine girl.

Posted by: Looking Glass | August 15, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Did Kai's goal look offsides to anybody else?

Posted by: Matte | August 15, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frank | August 15, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to thank Goff and any others involved with the operations of this blog.

Good work can never be overappreciated.

Posted by: spectre | August 15, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I'll correct my spelling ...

Adrian Healy.

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | August 15, 2008 12:59 PM
=========================================

You're getting closer:

Posted by: tri-village | August 15, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

===============================

I'm sure those things don't hurt, and also she's an Olympic gold medalist, just like Rowdy Gaines, Ato Boldin, Karch Kiraly, Doug Collins and Rulon Gardner, who provide color for the sports they won in. And Chastain knows what she's talking about. Her points may be "obvious" to you, I'm sure Kiraly makes "obvious" points about volleyball too, the Olympics gets a broader audience (or at least they hope to). At least she makes sense, unlike Tommy Smyth and talks about something other than herself, unlike Eric Wynalda.

Healey is play by play, the names are his job. Chastain is color, the chatter is her job. Your color choices for these games are Balboa, Chastain, Messing and Walker, and of those, I prefer Chastain.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 15, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

===============================

Posted by: OWNTF | August 15, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

If I'm Arena, I come nowhere near the Galaxy, no matter how much money AEG is offering, unless they give me total control over the soccer side (hiring a coach and a director of soccer). There's no way Leiweke is going to relinquish that much control. Hiring Arena as a coach, then hiring a president/GM who might not get along w/him is asking for more of the same.

You know what? Perhaps Leiweke wants to instill confusion and dissention in the front office. After all, how did he handle the Lalas-Yallop and Lalas-Gullit flareups before Monday? Some people like to play "divide-and-conquer" to enhance their own positions and reputations. Given that he's a gross incompetent when it comes to team management, Leiweke probably uses that technique to survive.

As far as Leiweke's comments about Gullit are concerned, keep in mind that Gullit was hired under the advice of Simon Fuller, Beckham's agent and the director of 19 Entertainment, which manages Beckham. Leiweke's outburst was an indirect criticism of Fuller and the latter's influence in the organization.

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | August 15, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

This isn't about Arena, the fans or even the Galaxy. This is about Leiweke's desire to preserve his power and survive his own mistakes.

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | August 15, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

===============================

Posted by: OWNTF | August 15, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

===============================

Posted by: OWNTF | August 15, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 15, 2008 12:24 PM
--------------------------------------------

Alas, no, that's not how UMD's OIT (Office of Information Technology) structures addresses. It would be more like: medu@umd.edu

And as a student, he might have had that very address. And as an alum, he might _still_ have and use it...

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 15, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

===============================

Posted by: OWNTF | August 15, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Well you came and you gave without taking
but I sent you away, oh Brandi
well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking
I need you today, oh Brandi

Posted by: Barry M | August 15, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Chastain is a good commentator. Her insights are obvious to those of us who have played and watched the sport for years. But so what? She know what she's talking about. If my kids were older and had the attention span to watch 45 minutes of soccer, I would want them to listen to her analysis and explanations about what the players should be doing.

The one fault that I could find is that she could take a breath every once in a while.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 15, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

To Looking Glass:
Yes, I think Kai's goal was definitively offsides. She got away with one.

Posted by: Fred | August 15, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Interestingly, Canada Soccer's report on the game does not even hint at the possibility that Kai may have been offside:

Posted by: tri-village | August 16, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Now that Pellerud si out of a job too, I was thinking maybe he and Greg Ryan could open a soccer camp together. For forwards and defenders only.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 16, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse