Morning Kickaround

*Third-seeded Cleveland pulls its second playoff upset, defeating top seed Charlotte, 2-1, for the USL2 championship.

*Freddy Adu debuts with Monaco.

*According to this parody, I am in excruciating pain!

*Media matters: I will be on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live" on Tuesday around 5:25 p.m. and will host a live online chat Wednesday at 1 p.m. on washingtonpost.com.

*All four regulation goals from Inter Milan's Italian Super Cup victory over Roma on PKs:

By Steve Goff  |  August 25, 2008; 10:28 AM ET
Categories:  Italy , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spanish Madness
Next: The Special One

Comments

Hey! No links to anonymous websites! Take down your own post.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 25, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

There's a policy about not posting links to rumors web sites.

Posted by: RK | August 25, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I-270, I stole your joke a few days, and you beat me to this one...

Posted by: RK | August 25, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, Any news on Carlos Ruiz? Will he ever go to Toronto?

Posted by: kris | August 25, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Yes. I am told he is on his way.

Posted by: Goff | August 25, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Goff!

Posted by: kris | August 25, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

:-)

Great minds think alike.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 25, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I-270, Exit 1 and RK:

Bravo. Well done.

Posted by: B.A. | August 25, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I have a link to a website that has the video of Freddy's short debut. Can I post that or is that not allowed?

Posted by: Matt | August 25, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Video is always welcome

Posted by: Goff | August 25, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"Video is always welcome..."

Unless, of course, it includes footage of a certain local NFL club...or any of said club's employees...or was filmed on property owned or leased by said club...

;-)

Posted by: EdTheRed | August 25, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey! No links to anonymous websites! Take down your own post.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 25, 2008 10:45 AM

had edthered posted this, i think my head would has assploded!! oh! the potential irony..... but alas.....

Posted by: myt! | August 25, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

What about an American Super Cup... that's actually an idea I could get behind. MLS Cup vs. Open Cup champ, a week before the season starts. Makes the Open Cup slightly more important. Doesn't have to involve Mexican teams. They could schedule it months ahead of time in a neutral location to help grow the game in a new market. It rips off a European idea, which is good for the Euro-snobs. It gives SUM a chance to profit off the players more while not paying them more which is always nice. They could play it in a big market without an MLS team, like New York. It works on so many levels.

Posted by: AM | August 25, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

MLS Cup champ vs. USL-1 champ.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 25, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

What if the Open cup champs and the MLS Champs are one and the same?

Posted by: DirtyHarry | August 25, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

There is however, no written policy about linking to rumors rumors websites

Posted by: Matt | August 25, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

What if the Open cup champs and the MLS Champs are one and the same?

Posted by: DirtyHarry | August 25, 2008 1:01 PM

Beaten Cup finalist is usually the rep

Posted by: Kev | August 25, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

DirtyHarry: They won't have it, then.

Posted by: RK | August 25, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Anyone remember the 1993 Italian Super Cup which was held at RFK?

It wasn't a great game and didn't draw too many fans. If I remember correctly AC Milan, arguably the best team in the world at the time, beat Torino (I believe they had Francescoli) 1-0.

The game was played in the hot mid-sun with pre-season intensity.

Posted by: garbaggio | August 25, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

If I were an astute social critic I could accurately comment about what being mentioned in a parody of a borderline parody blog means for Goff's stature in an almost mainstream sport in the U.S.

As it is, I can only applaud how well conceived the post itself was, using the word "shutout" more times than Zach Wells has in sentences not containing modifiers.

Posted by: Tom | August 25, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

My apologies.

The 1993 Italian Super Cup was not played in the hot "mid-sun". It would be foolish for Italian teams to travel all the way to the middle of the sun for a pre-season friendly.

It was played in the hot "mid-day" sun at RFK:

Posted by: garbaggio | August 25, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

At least in Spain they don't play if a team wins both (see sidebar):

Posted by: RK | August 25, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Anyone remember the 1993 Italian Super Cup which was held at RFK?

It wasn't a great game and didn't draw too many fans.

Posted by: garbaggio | August 25, 2008 1:31 PM

Kind of shows how different things are nowadays. If Roma and Inter played at RFK now, don't you think they'd get a very good crowd? Maybe 30k+. Look how well Barcelona draw in the US for friendlies.

Posted by: Kev | August 25, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Jeff | August 25, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Greg Ryan's triumphant return (not!):

...yet another reason why M*ch*g*n sucks.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Greg Ryan's triumphant return (not!):

...yet another reason why M*ch*g*n sucks.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"It's a bit of a blur, but I think I sprained it typing the 's' in 'shutout'. I just haven't had to type that word much this season"

That is a classic line.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 25, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Looks like United is interested in a few USL players.

* Stanley Nyazamba 25 years old Zimbabwe
* Pat Healey 22 years old USA
* Matthew Mbuta 22 years old Cameroon

Posted by: United fury | August 25, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@The Jeff:

Quote of the article,

"Michigan used three goalies."

Posted by: Ron | August 25, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Pat Healey? I thought he was working for Rice-a-Roni in Miami.

Posted by: RK | August 25, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

It's Goff's blog. He can link to rumors websites if he wants to.

Posted by: Ron | August 25, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

They could play it in a big market without an MLS team, like New York.

Well played.

Posted by: stuck in 200 | August 25, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Joe Vide is up for Sierra Mist Goal of the Week.

Vote early and often, folks...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | August 25, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Pat Healey? I thought he was working for Rice-a-Roni in Miami.

Posted by: RK | August 25, 2008 3:03 PM

Are you familiar with the soccer stadium in Santiago, Chile?

Pat Healey designed the Celinto Catayente Towers just down the street.

Posted by: Southeasterner | August 25, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Aww man, I fail at reading. I thought Goff was going to be on Washington Post Live today and got all excited. Only to be met with a discussion of UVA football (post Chris Long) and a half hearted comparison of the dream team vs the redeem team.

Posted by: noptov52 | August 25, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matt | August 25, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow will be a great day for WPL... Goff and Virginia Tech football. It's hard to get better than that.

Posted by: sitruc | August 25, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

SMGOTW is hella nerdy, and stuffing the ballot box is a little bit jock'itch, but who ever is picking these is a knob. If the available footage is as lame as Conrad's, and Rocha's it shouldn't even be nominated. Quaranta doesn't get a nomination, over Thorrington?
Go ahead and stuff the box so United can put another notch on their sixty but honestly I thought the red bull player's goal showed either really lucky, or really nice touch on their plastic field.
Still voted for Vide though, cuz I was there, and I loved it. Would have voted for Quaranta if I could have though.:)

Posted by: dadryan | August 25, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse