Morning Kickaround

You should know that.....

*USA Coach Bob Bradley is tentatively scheduled to unveil his roster for the Cuba and T&T qualifiers around 1 p.m. ET today. Eighteen players will be in uniform for each match, but because it is an extended time together and injuries and suspensions come into play, the list will include at least 20 players.

*With St. Louis's hiring of Brazilian national team coach Jorge Barcellos, all but Dallas and Los Angeles of the seven teams in the new U.S. women's league have a coach in place: Boston (Tony DiCicco), Washington (Jim Gabarra), New Jersey (Ian Sawyers) and Chicago (Emma Hayes). The first player allocations will take place in mid-September.

*Unlike the MLS entries, a pair of USL teams fared well in their Champions League preliminary-round openers: Montreal defeated a Nicaraguan side and Puerto Rico earned a surprising tie at Alajuela. Former Crew GK Bill Gaudette stopped a 90th-minute penalty kick for the Islanders.

*New Dallas midfielder Victor Sikora will miss four to six weeks after undergoing knee surgery.

*DCU's Joe Vide won MLS goal of the week for this strike against Colorado.

*England's Stephen Gerrard will miss upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Andorra and Croatia.

*The Ireland-Georgia qualifier will be played in Mainz, Germany.

*DirectTV is now the only satellite provider to carry GolTV after Dish Network dropped the all-soccer outlet. GolTV's La Liga coverage begins Sunday with Barcelona at 5 p.m. ET and Real Madrid at 7 p.m.

By Steve Goff  |  August 28, 2008; 9:59 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF , MLS , Spain , U.S. men's national team , USL , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The 70 Percent Solution
Next: Moreno for Qualifiers

Comments

Out here on the West Coast, MacFarlane is liquidating:

Posted by: EssEff | August 28, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

USL thanks to Gaudette, has one draw in one trip to Costa Rica whereas MLS has eight losses in eight trips down there. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Posted by: Kartik | August 28, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

He's just getting some cash ready because he's going to pay every penny it will take to get the stadium build in SE, right?

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 28, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

isn't it Steven Gerrard?

Posted by: bob | August 28, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

It was Vancouver Whitecaps who defeated Nicaraguan and NOT Montreal. How could the official sites of the champions league and USL got wrong on this??? WoW!

Posted by: arlington4united | August 28, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Relegate NE and Chivas.

Promote Montreal and PR Islanders.

Posted by: Kosh | August 28, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Arlington - it was Montreal, IN Montreal. I watched the game on TV. Pay more attention.

As for Vide winning, it seems DCfans have surpassed TFC's ballot stuffing lows. Must be using bots at this point....

Posted by: Aljarov | August 28, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

arlington: huh?

GolTV still on Comcast, though...but no Villarreal / Jozy this weekend.

Posted by: RK | August 28, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Folks,
If you liked the Post's recent coverage of DCU, WCQ, and Olympic soccer, drop them a note of thanks at sports@washpost.com. They put a lot of resources into covering our sport and giving us a forum to discuss it.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 28, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I think we've matured past that.

Posted by: seahawkdad | August 28, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

nice extra two hits already haha

Posted by: arlington4united | August 28, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Understatement of the year, concerning MacFarlane's condo listing:

"It might be a little on the high side," said Rick Goodwin, publisher of Unique Homes magazine...

Posted by: CD | August 28, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"Doubt there was ballot stuffing going on. Visit the DC United BigSoccer forum and you'll find no calls to stuff. I think we've matured past that."

I figured that was nonsense, so I put on my hazmat suit and looked at Big Soccer.

Big Soccer, Aug 11 2008:

Thread called: "VOTE Moreno! 120th Goal!" with link.

Big Soccer, Aug 26 2008:

Thread called "Tino Goal NOT nominated for GOW!!!WTF!!! " -- starts "Okay - sorry about the abbreviations but I guess all should go and vote for Joe Vide:" with link. Then updates on voting, then discussion of how important it is for "United" to win all "competitions."

So you're wrong. There were calls to stuff the ballot box.

GOTW is a joke. It would be nice if it weren't because maybe MLS would affix prize money to it, but some idiots who support TFC and DCU sabotage the competition.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 28, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

With St. Louis's hiring of Brazilian national team coach Jorge Barcellos

========================

Chalupny playing with a bunch of Brazilians could be cool.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 28, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Former Terp Danny Califf in action at the moment for Midtjylland (live on Setanta) - trying for a notable upset of Manchester City in the UEFA Cup.

Posted by: Kev | August 28, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

But TFC started it!

I can't disagree, MJ. Had there been a better view of the Dallas goal, I might've voted for that, though.

Posted by: RK | August 28, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

That bit about GOLTV is salt in an open wound Goff.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Last night my USL1 boys made history!!!
I was so worked up that i couldn't get to sleep last night. I knew that we could get out of Costa Rica with a point if we played hard and got some luck.

It wasn't pretty. We made the most of our one shot on goal.

When "Wild Bill" Gaudette (as the Columbus fans used to call him--some of the Islanders adopted the nickname) got in Castro's head and he came up HUGE. I don't ever remember a keeper stalling for so long and pacing around before finally taking his line and then handling business.
He has played great for us this season.

A lot of people understimate USL soccer. That is one thing that I am convinced of.

I follow MLS (including Reserve league) and the USL1 & USL2 very closely becaue I have a team that compete in all three.

As an hardcore Islanders' fan who is obsessed with the club, I can tell you that my boys have a lot of heart. An awful lot of heart. "The General" (as we call him), Colin Clarke is a hell of a coach. Some of my fellow Islanders fans complain that Clarke has stripped the side of it's "latin flair" and removed all of the flava from the team. All I know is that the man has gotten our side to a new level. He has done the same with the Sr. Puerto Rican Men's National Team. He gets results.

Our result was not a "fluke". It was a very fortunate result but I knew that we were capable of it. Alajuela isn't in one of thier best moments in the club. We got them at the right time. We have a shot.

Clarke has been a master tactician. I know what sort of players he has brought in. I've talked to a lot of the guys on the roster. Talked to Clarke. He has a clear vision. They are buying into his vision.

In international play, we have played the Jamaican and Trini clubs and other Caribbean teams to get this spot. We've had to play almost all of those games away from home.

This year, in USL-1 play we have beat USL American sides that beat MLS sides (I undertsand that they depended on a lot of reserves) in USOC play.

We are at the top of the USL1 table for a reason and our ownership, our management the players and especially Colin Clarke deserve an enormous amount of credit. No matter whether we go through to the next round or not. We did what MLS clubs (including my beloved DC United) have struggled to do--get out of Costa Rica with a decent result.

We play very well in Bayamon. We have a shot to go through. A real shot. Clarke will change the strategy.

I am still walking on air!!!

Posted by: yankiboy | August 28, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

FYI, the goal scorer for Alajuelense, Argenis Fernández, is on loan to Alajuelense from the Revs.

Posted by: tsingletonvt | August 28, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

re: elephant jon

how can your examples of calls to vote be interpreted as calls to stuff the ballot box...?

sure it's important to vote....

but I saw nothing that said START THE BOTS....

Posted by: myt! | August 28, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Yankiboy, honestly I'm not sure any MLS team could do what the Islanders did last night. What character, and what a great tactical setup by Clark. The PK call was b/s, but Gaudette made it a mute point.

With Telesford and Noel you have two in form internationals and of course a number of top Puerto Rican players too thought. I thought Josh Saunders was a very good keeper for you guys and dumping him was silly, but obviously it has worked out.

Massive results for USL and for soccer in the US and the Caribbean as well!

Posted by: Kartik | August 28, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Relegate NE and Chivas.

Promote Montreal and PR Islanders.

Posted by: Kosh | August 28, 2008 10:44 AM
-------------------------------------------
Kosh, still rolling on the floor with that one. Thanks for the love. I wouldn't go that far. All I'm saying is that we are a little better than a lot of people give us credit for. We have some players. Guys who have played in WCQ's. Guys that are hungry. Guys that are trying to get "discovered" so that they can move forward professionaly. We have some guys who get after it. Ownership that has been ambitious and a coach who is getting the most out of his players. Even on an off night, far from home we got an "upset" result. General Clarke doing a great job.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 28, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

A mute point...

Posted by: RK | August 28, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Funny when my BigSoccer post gets used on this forum to back a faulty premise. Sure I am upset that Santino's goal did not get nominated as it was better than any goal including Vide's. All of the other goals were pretty much equal and there is no reason not to vote for Vide.

I still think Tino's would've been a landslide had it been nominated in the first place.

james

Posted by: James | August 28, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@Kartik: Thanks for the kind words. I'm enjoying the moment. We went from A-league scrubs our debut season in '04 (what a long season that was) to a side that can surprise teams that most people think that we shouldn't even be on the field with. Last night Clark didn't even use Villegas. he didn't use Alexis and our current Panamanian international, Victor Herrera and former Cuban International, Alberto Delgado (rightly or wrongly--depending on who you talk to) has been assigned to our reserve side, Sevilla Bayamon.

I loved Josh Saunders. When we talked in PR for the season opener, he told me that he really wanted to come back. i was very disspaointed that it didn't work out to bring him back. I believe that he is a quality keeper and I like the guy. I wish him the best in whatever he does. Glad to see that they brought in someone who could fill those shoes...

Posted by: yankiboy | August 28, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tsingletonvt | August 28, 2008 11:12 AM
-------------------------------------------
Excellent point. He did more than Quintanilla did last might. All that guy seemed to do was flop and cry for calls. Ironic that MLS talent helped Alajuela to save a little bit of face.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 28, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Keep in mind Goff's point last week about the former MLS players who star for Guatemala's national team. The same with many players abroad that used to play in MLS.

Thanks to squad limits, and the salary cap, MLS teams aren't patient with players.

Peter Villegas was very good with a terrible Metros team a few years back. I wondered why he didn't feature last night? Will he play in the return leg?

Posted by: Kartik | August 28, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Goltv La Liga coverage begins on Saturday at 2pm with Espanyol v Valladolid, and 4pm with Valencia v Mallorca.

Posted by: soccerglue | August 28, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

For those of you in Verizon FIOS neighborhoods, GolTV is available as part of the extra sports package (Fox Soccer Net is part of the extended package). The FIOS picture is all that it is advertised to be and with both FSC and GolTV one has whole days on weekends with lots of options to chose from.

Posted by: Orange14 | August 28, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Why did Dish drop GolTV? Is Gol available on cable?

I think that sucks for Dish customers and is bad news for the health of one of the best soccer resources on TV.

Posted by: DirecTV Fan | August 28, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks RK you beat me to the punch on the 'mute point.' But we're all guilty of typing too fast for our brains once in a while.

Posted by: wannabe grammarian | August 28, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

@ James

Gotta differ with you there, dude. Tino's shot would have been the hands-down GOTW IF Rocha does not hit that 40 yard monster. For me anytime a player scores from that range, it's gotta be GOTW (intended or not). Becuase if intended that is mad skill and very entertaining, and if not it is still no less entertaining and a treat to watch.

I voted for Rocha, and yes our fans do stuff the box. Funny that, with how we used to call TFC out on that and all.

By the by, Tino's shot was absolutely awesome. I know that he is capable of those shots, he's got the leg. He just needs to compose himself a bit more, watch his form, his technique and not rush the shot. I know it's hard to do with an MLS journeyman defender sawing you in half, but the best score wonder goals like that
week in, week out around the globe. The best make their own space, make their own time and ultimately make thier own goals. I think Tino will do quite well for himself if he can aspire to be like those guys.

It's a shame we don't get to see too many of those kinds of shots in MLS. It seems 90% - 98% of those attempts tend to be disgracefully wide or high, and twice as ugly. Our strikers, and even midfileders need to work on their shooting/striking technique more.

Posted by: Kosh | August 28, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I wanted to make a joke, but it would've been in pore taist.

Posted by: RK | August 28, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Not to diminish PR's accomplishment (which is quite impressive) but both LA and Kansas City, in their last forrays into Costa Rica, were drawn after regulation in their second legs at Saprissa (and would have advanced at that pointhad CONCACAF used away goals), but lost in overtime. Plus, they were in early season form, etc...

As for Montreal, they beat a Nicaraguan team at home only 1-0. Sure, they probably won't get eliminated, but they're not much better off than the Revs.

Posted by: Eric B | August 28, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

UEFA have just finished their group drawings:

Group A: CHELSEA, AS Roma, Bordeaux, Cluj
Group B: Inter, Werder, Panathinaikos, Anorthosis
Group C: Barcelona, Sporting, FC Basel, Shakhtar
Group D: LIVERPOOL, PSV, Marseille, Atletico
Group E: MAN UTD, Villarreal, CELTIC, Aalborg
Group F: Lyon, Bayern, Steaua, Fiorentina
Group G: ARSENAL, FC Porto, Fenerbahce, Dinamo Kiev
Group H: Real Madrid, Juventus, Zenit, Bate

Very Interesting groups, one or two groups look easy for the top seeded teams, most look to be tough to call as to who will go through.

Posted by: Red Devil | August 28, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

If Dish Network canceled GolTV, then cancel them and get something else. Let your wallet do the walking...

Good Job USL1. MLS, you're embarrassing.

Posted by: sandog | August 28, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Sandog is right.

I want my GOL TV! I want Ray Hudson having an orgasm over Juan Roman Riquelme! Dolly Parton! Hadrian's Wall! Uruguayan bull parts! And "class in a glass!"

Posted by: Majesterial! | August 28, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Where is the US roster at?

Posted by: Fussballman 7 | August 28, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I guess whatever chance there was that WPS might get an eighth team for its inaugural season has long since come and gone.

Posted by: The Jeff | August 28, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

montreal didn't play that well last night. they started off great, but really faltered in the second half, with their keeper nearly screwing up twice.
Real Esteli looked awful tho... guys falling down when not under pressure, no offensive skill, a weak backline, and a keeper who asked his defenders to take the kicks.
Montreal should be embarrassed that they only won 1-0.

Posted by: satan | August 28, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I got DirecTV in 97 when I lived in N Illinois and could only watch Bears games and Bears postgame and pregame shows. No Fox doubleheaders in Bears land. You guys think the Redskins coverage is over the top? Oh my..............
Anyway, cancel Dish and TELL them why. They seem to cancel another good channel every year.
Get DirecTV and TELL them what you want to keep and cancel if they let you down.

Interesting about Sikora. Did FCD know this about him? The fans sure seemed to be counting on him to step in and make an immediate impact. Did management also? Good thing for them they aren't "burdened" with all those extra international games, huh?
As for Montreal, what a sleeper that was. They needed more than one, I think. They looked the weaker side and will have to get lucky or play a lot better to continue on in this tournament.
Couldn't stay awake for the PR game. Good to see someone go down there and get a decent result. Cant wait to watch it later - at least parts of it anyway.

Posted by: marksman | August 28, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev | August 28, 2008 11:07 AM

------------------------------------

I'm on Setanta Sports, too, and I'm much more fantastic than Danny Califf.

Posted by: The Special One | August 28, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Majesterial!: Well done.

Montreal-R. Esteli: Montreal didn't play particularly well, but still should have won by more. Esteli was dangerous due to their attackers being so direct all the time, but they couldn't defend to save their lives. The Impact seemed to get discouraged that they weren't more comfortably ahead, and nearly paid for it. Esteli didn't settle in for the first half hour, during which Montreal should have really grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. Nice goal by Gjertsen, at least.

Alajuelense-PR: Clearly, the Islanders were very lucky to get out with the draw. That said, they were playing at or near the height of their abilities, while Alajuelense was clearly not. Alajuelense totally dominated possession, but struggled from about 25 yards out to create chances (or at least, the number of chances you'd expect from possession well above 60%). The Islanders played everyone apart from Noel behind the ball, and held on for dear life. Even their goal was very lucky; on the replay, it was clear that Telesford didn't as much shoot the ball as he did get hit by it. Either that, or he was inexplicably attempting a soft, no-look shot.

All that said, a goal's a goal, and you create your own luck, and all the other cliches that come with such results. They apply here, too. Gaudette was really looking to take a 2nd yellow by waiting so long to hop in goal on the penalty (as well as several other times where he as doing his best Dario Sala impression), but the ref didn't see fit to give him 2 yellows for timewasting. Castro's face betrayed that the penalty was going to be poor (I was predicting that he'd put it over the bar).

PR still has a huge task at home, but they've given themselves a great and wholly unexpected chance.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 28, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 28, 2008 3:45 PM
-------------------------------------------
Chest, I can tell you that for those of us who follow the Islanders and have some knowledge of Alajuela and where they are at right now, it wasn't a big shock. The Islanders didn't play that well in a lot of ways. The linking from the midfield wasn't very good, etc. Sometimes the defending was subpar and we were luck that Alajuela couldn't finish.

Posted by: yankiboy | August 29, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Actually I'm pretty sure the Barcelona game starts at 1EST - at least according to goltv.tv

Posted by: NattyBo | August 29, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse