No Gallardo

D.C. United Coach Tom Soehn said today that Argentine midfielder Marcelo Gallardo, who hasn't played since June 29 because of a sports hernia injury, will not be available tomorrow against New England in the U.S. Open Cup semifinal at RFK Stadium. Club officials had hoped Gallardo would be ready for some minutes in the crucial match, but now they're changing the timeline to Saturday at Chicago or next Wednesday at New England. Defender Gonzalo Peralta, who also had hernia surgery, was on the game-day roster Sunday at New York and seems likely to make his return tonight.

I will have much more on United in Tuesday's print edition (available online late tonight or early tomorrow).

By Steve Goff  |  August 11, 2008; 3:57 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pursuing Feilhaber
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

And ..... Playing attacking midfielder for your DC United..... Rod Dyachenko!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 11, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Probably best that we wait on Galardo-one more week. But how long will it take the team to get back up to speed with him?

Posted by: anon | August 11, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I think this is actually for the best. New England is a huge game and although I want him on the field as soon as possible, I'd rather see the players are fit enough to fight against a player like Shalrie Joseph in the middle of the field.

Posted by: TCompton | August 11, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I-270...Please don't say that. I want to have faith in this team. I don't have any faith when I hear that name!!!

Posted by: kris | August 11, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Um... None of our players are fit.

Posted by: jgildea | August 11, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

It is a disgrace that this match is not being televised! The best that MLS/US Soccer can do is a lousy audio feed??

C'mon

Posted by: Mike | August 11, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

What's tonight???

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

What's tonight???

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 4:23 PM
--------------------------------------

There is nothing tonight. He was talking about tomorrow night.

I would think a Semi-final game like this would be big enough to televise. FSC televises USL games, why not this? CSN is too busy with the Redskins to show this game either. sucks, I guess I'll just have to go!

Posted by: kris | August 11, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

FSC televises USL games, why not this?

----------

Because USL pays for that to be the case.

Posted by: Goose | August 11, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Goff, way to go with the news items flying today!!

Hasn't Gallardo had a history of injuries...and he's no spring chicken. AS others state, better wait and be sure he's ready to go and contribute without further risk of injury.

Posted by: Redd | August 11, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Better Vide against Joseph than Gallardo. Could turn into a "steel cage" match.

Posted by: griffin1108 | August 11, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I’m sorry but I know everyone loves Gallardo because he has nice hair and played for Argentina but I don’t see how we can justify $1.8 million on him. He is the worst performing DP in MLS right now and it seems like for that salary we could have kept Gomez and still have gotten the best central defender or goalie to have ever played in MLS for $1.4 million.

As far as injuries Olsen and Gros were much more crucial losses to DC than Gallardo.

Posted by: Gomez fan | August 11, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Foudy on WPL? Is that some kind of Soccer Insider/BS joke?

Posted by: sitruc | August 11, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Too bad United doesn't have a third quality forward that could partner with Emilio so that Moreno could drop back and play as a true attacking mid. Jamie's so vital to DC's possession game anyway, might as well let him pull the offensive strings while Gallardo languishes on the bench.

Posted by: Kenobi | August 11, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Kenobi,

What about Tino?

Posted by: United fury | August 11, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I agree, but Lopez is definately way more over the hill than Gallardo.

Posted by: Gomez fan | August 11, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

My bad for the above post.(I'm a little drunk still)

Gomez fan,

I agree, but Lopez is definately way more over the hill than Gallardo.

Posted by: United fury | August 11, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know when USA Cuba tickets go on sale?

Posted by: Harpo | August 11, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

United fury,

Good point. I tend to forget about Tino since he's always either A) injured or B) filling in at some other position where the starter is injured. If he could be consistently productive as a forward, he would work.

Ideally, I'd rather see them dump Gallardo, move Jamie to AM and go after Shevchenko with the DP slot. I think it will probably happen too, right about the same time that I win the Powerball and Rebecca Romijn dumps the fat kid from Stand By Me and moves in with me.

Posted by: Kenobi | August 11, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Shevchenko cost 30 million. Do you want to pay remaining 28 mil since dc can't afford?

Posted by: wowow | August 11, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I say at the end of the year, dump Gallardo and use his DP on A)a top-notch goalkeeper or B) a solid and consistent CB.
Then United can look for a young promising AM in Central or SA.

Posted by: United fury | August 11, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo's stats are comparable to Gomez' in 30 percent fewer minutes -- and his style of play is such that he contributes, more often than does Gomez, in a manner that doesn't show up as a stat.

It's not fair to blame him or DCU for his injury. That happens, particularly to players of his age -- which, unfortunately, are the only players that are viable DP's. Young world stars in their prime won't accept career anonymity for $1.8MM (and DCU isn't going to pay $20MM).

Posted by: mk | August 11, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Foudy on WPL? Is that some kind of Soccer Insider/BS joke?

Posted by: sitruc | August 11, 2008 5:06 PM

-------------

I love seeing Foudy's VPL's.

Posted by: | August 11, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

mk,

I can't tell you how many people say that Gallardo's and Gomez's stats are similar and therefore Gallardo was a great pick-up. Does anybody think that at four times the money Gomez is making with better options around him that Gallardo should have much better stats that Gomez has.

Posted by: United fury | August 11, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I love seeing Foudy's VPL's.

Posted by: | August 11, 2008 6:53 PM

Weingarten, is that you?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Henry to Man United? this is really crazy but it seems real now.

Posted by: td | August 11, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Not Vide!!! He had his one good game.
Let's see Jaime drop back and Tino move up to play with Emilio.
I know Tino did not work well at all last night but, maybe with someone in an AM role, it can be a little better. Tino dropped back way too far vs NY. Of course he needed to with the only other person in the area being Clyde Simms..

Posted by: marksman | August 11, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

270:

Actually, it appears that Soehn has lost all faith in Dyachenko and will only use him as a sub when the game is a blowout in either direction. So, we're more likely to see no attacking midfielder at all.

mk:

I think you're dead on about Gallardo. It's funny that people so easily forget that this game is not about stats when it comes to Designated Players. If you don't have a goal or assist every single game, people want to run you out of town.

I'd rate Gallardo as better than Gomez in all the following categories (who I still have nothing but love for):

Passing
Positioning
Tackling
Work rate
Fitness
First touch

And that's just a cursory list. These aren't little things; they're huge for a central midfielder. Gallardo's style of play has also allowed Simms to add some wrinkles to his game and become more courageous with the ball.

The fact is that people are mad at Gallardo because the season is going worse than expected and they need someone to blame. Looking for a scapegoat is one of the quintessential human traits when things go wrong. If we win MLS Cup, these same people will probably be crowding the team store to buy themselves a Gallardo #10 shirt. It also doesn't help that Gallardo plays a style different from anything we're used to in MLS. We're used to the attacking midfielder that's almost a 3rd forward (Gomez, Blanco, Etcheverry, Valderrama, just to name a few). He plays a deeper role, and as such is less likely to hit the unreasonable stat demands people have placed on him.

The only financial figure I care about with Gallardo is the fact that he counts for $400K against the cap. I think he's been worth it and that we're unlucky that he's been hurt. That other $1.4 million is the concern of Victor MacFarlane and Will Chang. Maybe he's worth it to them, maybe not. It shouldn't really matter to fans, though, because it doesn't impact anything having to do with the on-field product.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 11, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

=====
Moreno goal of the week nominee. Vote.

Posted by: td | August 11, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

oh great.... I predict a 3 - 0 loss to the Revs.

DC looks pathetic..so sad...

Posted by: bobf | August 11, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

3 - 0 loss tomorrow...

Posted by: bobf | August 11, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo was just starting to settle and play well when he got injured. Give him time. Comparing his play so far with Gomez isn't fair, Gomito's been in the league for years.

I agree with the poster who suggested putting Quaranta up top next to Emilio and playing Jaime in the AM role. With Guerrero and Fred on the flanks, that's a decent setup.

If any one of those attacking five gets sacrificed for Dyachenko then what little confidence I have left in Soehn's ability to make logical lineup decisions will be lost.

Posted by: uranderson | August 11, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 11, 2008 8:17 PM
==================

Thanks. I feel better now.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 11, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I like Tino up front with Emilio and Moreno as an A-mid/withdrawn forward. This will put lots of pressure on our defensive middle, as a lot will be asked of Simms and whoever the defensive centers are. I hope Peralta is sufficiently recovered to play one of the spots, probably with McT., and Martinez wide left (Burch cannot play because of a card). If Moreno runs out of gas, drop Tino back and put in Dyachenko (yes, Dyachenko) up front.

Posted by: Hedbal | August 11, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

=====
Moreno goal of the week nominee. Vote.

Posted by: td | August 11, 2008 9:21 PM
=================

Crap! Those Canadians and their votebots are at it again. Fire up the server boys. It's going to be long night.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 11, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 11, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I love seeing Foudy's VPL's.

Posted by: | August 11, 2008 6:53 PM

---------------------

Gross...I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Posted by: DE | August 11, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I know I am awful bad about having some Whine with my Cheese,but it's kinda cute seeing a couple of folks out here realizing they won't see the USOC match involving the two MLS teams unless they actually go to the game...
I agree that it's a digrace that only the final will be shown on FSC.
I mean how lame is MLS for not accomidating the fans on this one?
It's a slap in the face to fans who are away from their hometowns in the middle of summer and are being denied.
Oh well, I guess I'll be able to watch the live feed of the USL teams playing right??.
Mr. Rockwell you could use your own blog dude. The most rational analysis of the difference between the old numba 10 and the new. Thanks. Gomez was/is sick, but can everyone seriously stop coming back to this crap everytime United loses?
You guys sound like that guy that can't ever get over that first girl that swallowed...

Posted by: dadryan | August 11, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

both Gallardo and Peralta are totally useless pieces of cr*p. ever since they both got injured, we've been on an unstoppable winning streak, tearing everyone up. Remember when they were both still playing back in June? we sucked, remember?

oh wait, I may have that backward. Anyone remember May and June?

Posted by: northzax | August 12, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

O'REILLY!!!!!!! Right off the kickoff!

Posted by: tri-village | August 12, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Brasil edged Germany on goal differential, and is the apparent opponent of the USA in the quarters.

Posted by: tri-village | August 12, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

It's nice to see these girls smile some. They need to put New Zealand away though.

Posted by: sitruc | August 12, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

A-Rod, just before halftime.

Posted by: tri-village | August 12, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Nice to go into half up 2-0. I want and expect more though.

Posted by: sitruc | August 12, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Peralta & Martinez are on the back line, then DC will at least not need to play 2 DMs. If they do play both Vide & Simms, switch to one forward & have somebody playing center attacking mid. That hole in the middle against NY cost us.

But the 4-5-1 needs training and good understanding from the wingers & backs to work the overlap & pinch in. Burch is a little slow for that type of game, but with Martinez on the left it could work out.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | August 12, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Gomez cost us MLS Cup, USOC, Champoins Cup, Super Liga.

Posted by: td | August 12, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

3-0

Posted by: sitruc | August 12, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

4-0

Posted by: sitruc | August 12, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Goff has started a new thread, so I'm going there.

Posted by: tri-village | August 12, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know a good neurologist. Dadryan's last post made complete sense to me.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 12, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse