Open Clarification

D.C. United has been under the impression that Ivan Guerrero and Joe Vide would not be available for the U.S. Open Cup semifinal against New England because they had played in the event for the San Jose Earthquakes, thus rendering them "cup-tied."

However, United was told by the U.S. Soccer Federation today that, because San Jose's participation came in a preliminary round (a 4-0 loss to Real Salt Lake in April) and not in the tournament proper, both players are eligible to play for United on Tuesday night at RFK Stadium.

So instead of being without three healthy starting candidates, United will be missing only one: defender Marc Burch, who received a red card in the quarterfinal against Chicago.

At least three lower-division players appeared for more than one club in the early stage of the tournament as well.

Thoughts?

By Steve Goff  |  August 8, 2008; 3:25 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU Updates
Next: USA Women Defeat Japan

Comments

Hallelujah!

Posted by: sitruc | August 8, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

cool

Posted by: mnsoccer | August 8, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

This is Bu11 Sh!t

I can't believe it! It's an outrage!

It's a... oh, they CAN play?

Nevermind

Super-dooper!

Posted by: TCompton | August 8, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

BONUS!

Posted by: Sweeeeeeeeet... | August 8, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

what's up with the play-in game..?

Posted by: mizage | August 8, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Lest MJ beat me to it, let me just point out that if this ruling had benefited Red Bulls or Galaxy, you'd be seeing a lot of posts from us DCU fans about how "rigged" the system is for the league's spotlight teams.

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 8, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Christmas in August!! Sweet!! That opens a ton of options for Tommy on Sunday and Tuesday and does wonders for our depth.

Posted by: Crippled Keeper | August 8, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

It's U.S. Soccer. No surprises here.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 8, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

The difference though, edgeonyou, is that MLS didn't make this decision. USSF did.

Posted by: crippled keeper | August 8, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Sucks to be NE (I mean for the one-off, I wasn't talking about their SuperLiga title...or their top of the league, possible SS run).

Seems kind of a strange call by US Soccer. Oh well, go us.

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh | August 8, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

As long as this is in rules previously published for US Open Cup, very cool.

Posted by: John | August 8, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

hopefully the new keeper will be ready as well.

Posted by: kramva | August 8, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I was surprised when you posted that they were cup-tied, today...DCU FO should read the message boards more.

Posted by: RK | August 8, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Can we borrow another ringer or two from any other clubs for Tuesday's game? Or are we limited to those under contract?

Posted by: Laughingstock | August 8, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

This is an outrage! I mean the league must be playing favorites with DCU!
Jesus, I'm glad someone didn't let this slip by, Joe Gibbs isn't coaching United is he? Was it so and so's mention of this in an earlier thread today that brought this to light?
They deserve some free tickets or something if so...
Good deal though!

Posted by: dadryan | August 8, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Great news for the boys in Black and Red!! I'm very glad to hear Guerrero will be available to play. I think Vide provides depth at that Def-Mid position behind Simms. The tandem worked okay against a lame Wizard attack but without Gallardo, I'm guessing we'll see it again very soon.

Posted by: Redd | August 8, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Excellent...

Posted by: C. Montgomery Burns | August 8, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

hopefully the new keeper will be ready as well.

Posted by: kramva | August 8, 2008 3:56 PM
..........................................

A day or so ago Goff reported that it will be at least a week before Crayton is seen on a gameday roster:

Posted by: The Jeff | August 8, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Check out the wiki entry for Louis Crayton

it says he plays for DCU already

Posted by: DCU fan in Nashville | August 8, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

A source tells me Crayton played in the Swiss Open Cup of Hot Cocoa, so he may not be eligible...

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 8, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

With or without marshmallows?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 8, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Nation of Ulysses?
He'll probably fit in just fine here in Hot Chocolate City...

Posted by: dadryan | August 8, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Hell effing Yeah!!!!

Posted by: kris | August 8, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

A little good news is nice.

I noticed in the match preview for the NJ match that Martinez will be suspended on his next yellow. With some important league matches coming up that could be an important loss. Especially with Guerrero missing matches due to national team commitments.

Posted by: Glenn | August 8, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Nation of Ulysses?
He'll probably fit in just fine here in Hot Chocolate City...

Posted by: dadryan | August 8, 2008 4:28 PM

just as long as he brings 50,000 Watts Of Goodwill

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Excellent Friday afternoon news!

Posted by: strago | August 8, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear we have player options against the red hot New England Revolution!!! We'll need 'em. Guerrero and Vide were vital to the shut-out last weekend. With a few more players coming back from injuries, Tommy will be able to manage minutes and win both games.

Posted by: Murr | August 8, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I just went back and read the comments from the other day. I'm the guy who posted the "goalie" comment. I didn't mean to start a sh*t-storm...sorry, guys, I'm really not that pretentious or a snob. I just thought we might want to keep the chat a little above dipping-dots vocabulary. But if want to play soccer on a field with a goalie who can't keep a game at zero to zero, then go ahead. I prefer football on a pitch played to nil-nil with fine keeping by cracker footballers. Tomayto vs. tomahto...or guiness vs. dipping dots.

Posted by: GOALieeee | August 8, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Me too. I am surpized to hear that NBC commentator at half time said NIL NIL. I was like what? Wow you know that word? He couldn't bare to say football though. He said sucker

Posted by: td | August 8, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

what minute was adu taken down in the box yesterday? I want to see the play. thanks

Posted by: Garcia | August 8, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I know DC is getting some guys back now, but given USSF's hefty suspension of Blanco, Burch should be reinstated for this game. Just my opinion.

Posted by: Greifie | August 8, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

While the USSF is handing out unexpectedly sweet rulings, it's time to really push our luck.

Let's appeal Burch's red card as justifiable temporary insanity due to toxic behavior (previously acknowledged by USSF and MLS with sanctions).

Posted by: Postmaster | August 8, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Sweet. It's nice to have options again.

Posted by: DCUMD | August 8, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I would expect our USOC lineup to be:

-------------- Moreno - Emilio
Guerrero ----------------------------- Fred
---------------- Vide - Simms
Martinez - Peralta - McTavish - Namoff
---------------------- Wells

That's pretty strong, though I wonder about tossing Peralta in there after such a long break. Perhaps he gets a half Sunday night to help shake off the rust?

If Quaranta can play an hour or more on Sunday, I'd expect to see him start over Fred or Moreno, just to give one of them a break and ensure their fitness for the bigger game Tuesday. If the game goes well, perhaps we can also get Thompson on to further rest regulars. I know we aren't in a spot to rest players in league play and risk the lost points, but we should be desperate to win the Open Cup while it's there for us to win.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 8, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see Garber's latest chat (he hasn't posted for awhile), he mentions players brought into the league...on that list is Cory Gibbs. So, is already signed by LA?

Posted by: Patrick | August 8, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Garcia | August 8, 2008 5:11 PM

I think it was around minute 69.

Posted by: sitruc | August 8, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Great news, that. I think Tuesday's game will be a humdinger. I'm surprised DCU is having trouble selling tickets. I realize it's a Tuesday night, but DC/NE games tend to be better than most. I'm a little worried about Joseph and Vide colliding in the midfield. It'll be the irresistible force vs. the immovable object. Not pretty, IOW.

Posted by: Beaker | August 8, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

""Martinez - Peralta - McTavish - Namoff""

Where's the love for local boy Carroll?

He's done well enough and can start in place of Peralta again . .

Posted by: delantero | August 8, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Outstanding!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Chest Rockwell,

What works against Kansas won't work against New England. You can't play two defensive midfielders against them. You need an attacking player.

It's tough to say what Soehn will do. If it were me, I'd play Moreno in attacking midfield and push Quaranta up top with Emilio and hope that Tino can give you a good 60-70 minutes before getting subbed out.

With Guerrero and Vide eligible, this makes things a bit complicated for Sunday's match one would think. Originally, you could pencil in Ivan, Joe and Burchy and go from there. Now you have to at the very least consider Ivan's minutes for the Open Cup.

I don't think Vide will play against NE unless absolutely necessary. From Tino's comments in the post, he's raring to go, but that is how he got reinjured as well.

Glad I'm not the coach.

Posted by: A Rickey | August 8, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

delantero:

Love, in this case, is earned. What has Carroll actually done to merit a starting spot over McTavish or Peralta? His most recent performance, against the Wizards, was very solid. His other appearances for the first team were poor, in my opinion. He struggled to read the game quickly enough and made several baffling decisions (for example, it was Carroll who let Woolard go in alone for no apparent reason against Chicago in the Open Cup).

I'm just not sold on him yet. 1 good showing out of 4 makes that good game the aberration, not the norm. I'm not against him getting a chance to build on that game, but I'd really rather not be having him getting on-the-job training in a cup semifinal against the best team in the country. Maybe he and Peralta can split the game in NY (thus letting him prove himself some more/get more experience, while also giving Peralta a reasonable start to shaking off the rust).

Of course, this could all be moot, since I don't see practices and don't actually know how far along Peralta is. For all I know, Carroll is dominating practice sessions and justifiably earning a starting role. From what I've seen, though, all he's done is prove that he isn't as bad as I first thought.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 8, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Off topic but I forgot last year ManU beat Chelsea in the community sheild by three pks. Van Darser saved all three pk and ManU converted all. It turns out at the champions league final again ManU beat Chelsea in pk. and of course knock down in the Premier League too. So ManU really crushed Chelsea last year.

Posted by: arlington4united | August 8, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Nice! Women's badminton online!

Posted by: RK | August 8, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Joe Vide's a tidy little player, but if you think he brings an embarrassment of riches, you've got another think coming.

As for the play-in game suddenly not counting as part of the cup: whatever. Considering DC has a beeline for a cup where they never have to play a single game away from home, I'm used to the road being paved with rose petals for them. I will agree with the guy who implied that any DCU fan who whines about favoritism is a hypocrite.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 8, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean, Blanco can play for the qualification games for the Fire?

Posted by: Alejandro Ruiz | August 9, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

""1 good showing out of 4 makes that good game the aberration, not the norm.""

The DCU website has him with 2 starts and 115 minutes of play.

And I'm not convinced Peralta is deserving of a start in such an important game after coming off of hernia surgery. (assuming he doesn't start or play much against NY Sunday)

To be honest, I'm not all that impressed with Peralta to begin with . .

Having said that, for me United's overall commitment to defend as a team is more important than the make up of the back 4

Posted by: delantero | August 9, 2008 12:52 AM | Report abuse

you guys aren't making this going on vacation business any easier.
Such thoughtful stuff on a lovely Friday in August.
Vamos United!
Any chance of a live blogger @ the USOC match?
I STILL CAN NOT BELIEVE THE INJUSTICE OF THIS GAME NOT BEING TELEVISED. Is there a live radio feed online?

Posted by: dadryan | August 9, 2008 1:43 AM | Report abuse

No Chalupny. What is a bit more surprising, Kai is starting on the bench; A-Rod is in. Hucles is still up top. I would have switched her and O'Reilly.

Posted by: tri-village | August 9, 2008 5:11 AM | Report abuse

GOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! Lloyd from long distance.

Posted by: tri-village | August 9, 2008 5:27 AM | Report abuse

The most important thing here is that the rules are being applied consistently -- and based on the fact that this same rule was applied to other teams earlier in the tournament, it seems like that's the case.

As for Burch -- of course his red card should not be lifted. His shoving of Blanco was a clear violation, regardless of the provocation. And Blanco's multi-game suspension is, I'm guessing, much less about his hitting Simms and much more about his unprovoked assault on a non-player employee.

Posted by: Jon | August 9, 2008 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Brazil v N. Korea live on MSNBC and UniversalHD. Marta gets a yellow for outbrust. Telemundo is replaying US v Japan game.

Posted by: td | August 9, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Terrible mistake by N. Korea goal keeper. Basically gives it to Daniela. Goal Brazil 15th.

Posted by: td | August 9, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Oh my god there is a commercial right in the middle of the game on msnbc.

Posted by: td | August 9, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I think the Chinese Ref for Brazil v NK is named We Pla On.....

Posted by: JkR | August 9, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I didn't wee the WNT match. How did they play, aggressively, tentatively?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 9, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"see" not enough caffeine

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 9, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I think letting players who played for any other team in any part of the tourney or its lead up games is just flat out WRONG. Bad, bad, bad decision.

Posted by: George Griffin | August 9, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

As I mentioned in a previous thread when this first came up, the MLS play in games are just that. A league system for qualification. They ARE NOT a part of the USOC tournament. There was no decision about anything. This is the way it has always been and has always applied to all leagues sending teams to USOC. Some DCU officials were simply confused on this fact. It is a non event and not favoratism in any way.

Posted by: LW | August 9, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Are there any other player signings for DCU in the pipeline?

Posted by: rw4rn | August 9, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse