DCU Back to Seattle?

There is a pretty good chance that a USL team will host the U.S. Open Cup championship game next month.

Under three of four possible scenarios, either Seattle or Charleston from American soccer's second division will win the right to stage the final against an MLS opponent. The teams submitted bids with the U.S. Soccer Federation, which unveiled the possible sites this afternoon.

The only exception is if D.C. United and Charleston advance. In that case, the game would be Sept. 3 at RFK Stadium (7:30). Otherwise.....

*DCU at Seattle, Sept. 3, 11 p.m. ET.

*New England at Seattle, Sept. 15, 10 p.m.

*New England at Charleston, Sept. 22, 7 p.m. ET.

United has not been to the Pacific Northwest since its friendly with Real Madrid two summers ago.

In league play, Charleston is tied for first with a 10-6-4 record while Seattle is fifth at 7-6-8.

Fox Soccer Channel is scheduled to show the final live.

As a reminder, the semifinals are next Tuesday night:

New England at DCU and Seattle at Charleston.

Thoughts?

By Steve Goff  |  August 7, 2008; 1:24 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU, Goalie in Talks
Next: Afternoon Updates

Comments

Hella cool to be up on the Podium...
I'd prefer Seattle @ DCU, but if it's on TV I'll live with it.
Thanks STeve!

Posted by: Dadryan | August 7, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Hella cool? Is that English, dadryan????

Posted by: Smart Guy | August 7, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Why does everyone think Seattle will win??

Charlton 2 - Seattle 1
DCUnited 0 - New England 0 (DC 5-4 on PKS)

Posted by: Anthony | August 7, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Let's do the Charleston!

Posted by: @ RFK | August 7, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

At least I'll be able to see one of the semis. Sadly, it will be Seattle v Charleston, and not the 2 MLS teams.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | August 7, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Guess I'm rooting for Charleston. WHEN we get past NE, we'll beat either USL team. I would rather not stay up till 1am to see it.

Posted by: Emjay | August 7, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Whether you are United or Revs fans I think I speak for most of us out here in Seattle in saying we would love to host you in September.

If anything it will give those of you who make the trip a glimpse of the amazing support you can expect from Sounders FC next year.

Come early and have a pre-game brew in Pioneer Square.

Posted by: scott47a | August 7, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Burch is DQ'd and Guerrero ineligible for the semis? How's Quaranta coming along? I realize we'll get a preview closer to game day, but this is a BIG game, so any info on Gallardo's status for the 12th?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

are they showing the semis on tv?

Posted by: GP | August 7, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Too bad DC United can't go to Charleston. Great seafood there. And there's always the opportunity to run into this guy:

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 7, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

still no MNT thread? WEAK!!!

Posted by: DudeAbides | August 7, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

My prediction: DC United and Charleston advance to the final. I say this because I have My Morning Jacket concert tickets for September 3.

Enough with the self-pity. Vamos United! Win the Cup!

Posted by: The Outlaw Jim James | August 7, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Next Tuesday meaning this upcoming Tuesday, August 12 in case there was confusion

Posted by: Giannicolus Jones | August 7, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

How about we just focus on next Tuesday and not get ahead of ourselves. Who's coming out next week, this one really counts folks!

K

Posted by: SEKim | August 7, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

There's talk in the Timbers Army of going up to Seattle to support DCU--Barra Brava's supporting Timbers MLS in 2011, we gotta show some love to DC (and express our undying hatred for the sounders)

Posted by: markovitch | August 7, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

No! I wanted an excuse to go to Charleston...

Don't support Portland! MLS to Atlanta! ;)

Posted by: RK | August 7, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Is this on tv?

Posted by: Christopher | August 7, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if I could get some of them $400 roundtrip tickets to Seatac again?...
"A" beer in Pioneer square Scott47a? That's preposterous! Who could have less than many in Pioneer Square?
I wonder how many dead baby bikes club members are going to start attending games? Tall bike Jousting @ the Tailgate anyone?

I know it hasn't happened yet, but all this speculation, makes for even more ammunition in my QWEST to create MLS's GREATEST RIVALRY between the two washington clubs!
It's kind of cute how everyone in Seattle can not NOT say FC at the end of it, like they will not stand for YOU NOT knowing that they Voted for the NAME. Just don't call it The United...

Posted by: dadryan | August 7, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't matter NE is going to win away, DC only have one game left.

Posted by: JMH | August 7, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The Sounders will be the Revolution of the Pacific Northwest.

I'd much rather a Charleston @ DCU Final.

*sigh* If I weren't in the process of moving and filling a new bedroom with furniture, I'd take off Sat-Wednesday for an extended stay in Charleston. The Eagles (USA Rugby) are hosting ASM Clermont Auvergne (French Pro Club) at Blackbaud Stadium on the 9th, then Seattle vs the Battery @ Blackbaud on Tuesday.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 7, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Pathetic that only the final is on FSC - the USOC deserves better coverage! The few that have seen these game know this!

Posted by: James | August 7, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Charleston @ DCU is not too unlikely as both teams are hosts for their respective semi-final matches.

Posted by: Kevin Ara | August 7, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Alec, we were going to go, as well, but we're going to Charleston next weekend. Wife used to live in CF w/ Michelin.

Posted by: RK | August 7, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

i hear ya james!
I'd be going to the game but i'll be away on vacation this next week and am bummed.
Most of the games that the USL teams have been involved in have had live streams on the net, while these MLS only games aren't televised anywhere...
Now that's a disgrace.
Vamos United!

AND YES HELLA IS FULLY ENGLISH SMART GUY!!!!!!!!!
As in I'm hella bummed I'll miss the NYRB/DCU match as well as the DCU/REVS USOC match next week.

Posted by: dadryan | August 7, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Revs didn't put a bid in again for the final.

Posted by: Mike | August 7, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I'll actually be IN Seattle Sept 3 for business, better pack my United jersey!

Posted by: matthai | August 7, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

@matthai: you potentially lucky SOB!

Posted by: dadryan | August 7, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 7, 2008 2:08 PM

============================================

That is a giant opportunity missed -- oh wait, I thought you wrote run over....

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 7, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: James | August 7, 2008 3:19 PM
=================================

What's wrong with the final being on FSC?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 7, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse