RSL Updates

[UPDATING THE UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE THREAD]

I am hearing that a deal between Real Salt Lake and the much-traveled Clint Mathis is imminent, though it is unclear whether all the paperwork would be done in time for him to suit up in Saturday's Western Conference showdown at Houston. Los Angeles holds Mathis's MLS rights and would be compensated by Real.

RSL, which has two roster spots to fill, is also pursuing an Argentine forward.

[UPDATE: RSL was not able to acquire this unknown Argentine. It's unclear whether they will pursue another foreign player. Also, for the rights to Mathis, RSL will give the Galaxy a third- or fourth-round draft pick in 2010.]

By Steve Goff  |  August 13, 2008; 11:29 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Eliminated
Next: Wake Up

Comments

Vote for Jaime for GOTW! It's a close one between Chad Barrett and Moreno.

Posted by: Jason | August 13, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Barrett's goal is much better. Sorry DC fans.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 13, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

And so is Angel's free kick

Why would anyone vote for Moreno's header?

Posted by: Sparky | August 13, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

so what does LA get, who still got his MLS rights...?

Posted by: Ben | August 13, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm ambivalent about the GOTW this week...I prefer to see a good in-the-run-of-play goal any day...

Posted by: RK | August 13, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I hope Mathis has started thinking about his post-soccer career options. He hasn't taken care of himself very well over the years. I don't think he has much time left as a pro, even at MLS level.

Posted by: New Life Time | August 13, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

why are Gibbs and Lewis distributed through the allocation list process and Mathis is not? he's as much a USA international as Gibbs at this point.

Posted by: anon | August 13, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

What do Kreis and Ricketts and company think that Cletus will be able to do this time that he wasn't able to do the last time? Is he going to be a better player? Or just cost a lot less? Seriously, what is he going to contribute? I haven't followed him since he headed over there so I honestly don't know how well he has been playing.

Maybe I am ill-informed (again).

Posted by: yankiboy | August 13, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

FYI, thread has been updated...

Posted by: Goff | August 13, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Mathis == "a third- or fourth-round draft pick in 2010"

My how the once-mighty have fallen, but that may still turn out to be too much. Not wishing anyone ill, just not a good track record.

Posted by: Postmaster | August 13, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Mathis?
geez RSL must be desperate. He is old and used.

get some fresh players

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 13, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Vote for Jaime for GOTW! It's a close one between Chad Barrett and Moreno.

Posted by: Jason | August 13, 2008 11:38 AM

Why should we vote if it wasn't the best goal of the week? In my mind, Victorine's was the best, closely followed by Barret and Jaime is a distant 3rd.

Posted by: GoUnited | August 13, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

personaly I don't think free kicks should be canidates for GOTW. I'd happily like to see Free Kick of the Month and have voting for it.
Barrett's fk was nice but that guy sucks in the run of play.
On the other hand Jaime has had two goals in two weeks with his head which seemed to sort of surprise him. Guess the head band has got some MOJO...
Angel's free kick was pretty sweet, although the wall did a terrible job of stopping it.
sorry to run so far off the thread topic.

Posted by: dadryan | August 13, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

The line on Mathis is that he is fat/self indulgent/lazy/arrogant - take your pick. But I think that is just the soccer megaphone repeating what may have been true years ago. I spoke to Clint after a reserve match here in DC before he went to Greece. He was fit, had no discernable body fat, and was as polite and generous with his time as you could hope for. It's just possible that Kreis has picked up a good spot player for a song.

Posted by: Hedbal | August 13, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Mathis probably won't be starting every match for RSL and knowing he's on the bench can be comforting for any RSL fan.

Posted by: Rory | August 13, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm for bringing him back even if it just means I can watch him count the ten yards out for a free kick in front of the ref using the football hashmarks. That bit was hilarious. Whaddya say Clint, one more time before the RES is no longer our venue?

Posted by: scottyt | August 13, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I find it so funny that soccer cynics forget that Clint was the 3rd leading scorer for New York last year, behind only Angel and Altidore. Several times he was the difference in getting wins for the Red Bulls.

RSL needs more offensive options, and Mathis could be the answer. He is a much different guy from the last time he was wearing a RSL kit, he has gotten married, and realizes that chances will now be fewer and fewer to reprove his worth in MLS.

Posted by: f4denz | August 13, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree that free kicks shouldn't be eligible for GOTW, but could, perhaps, be a different category. But, that's the purist in me talking (I also prefer a sacrifice bunt to a home run, so there) and, as the man said, "chicks dig the long ball" an excellent free kick is simply spectatular to watch and makes great TV. so we should get used to it.

personally, I voted for Segares, anyone who can embarrass Matt Reis is a friend of mine.

Posted by: northzax | August 14, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse