Sound of Silence

From noon Tuesday until 3 p.m. Wednesday, the Soccer Insider and most other washingtonpost.com blogs will undergo software upgrades and much-needed maintenance. Something having to do with Sen. Ted Stevens's series of tubes that keeps our Internet machine chugging along. What it means is that, for 27 excruciating hours, I will not be able to post any new items and you will not be able to contribute any comments.

So here are some of the events that will transpire during that period and beyond:

*Three sources tell me this morning that D.C. United is in the final stages of completing a deal with a foreign goalkeeper. I have no other details to share at the moment, other than one person saying that the player's nationality "will surprise you." Must be this guy.

*SuperLiga final: Houston at New England, tonight, 8 p.m. ET (Telefutura)

*Olympic women's soccer: USA-Norway, Wednesday, 7:45 a.m. (MSNBC)

*MLS friendly: FC Barcelona at Red Bulls, Wednesday, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)

*RFK Stadium friendly: Bolivia-Guatemala, Wednesday, 8 p.m. (Carlos Ruiz was on the Guatemala roster unveiled Monday, but the Galaxy has decided not to release him.)

*Soccer Insider live online chat at 1 p.m. Wednesday. Click here to submit questions, follow the action live and to read the final transcript.

*Soccer Insider appearance on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live" on Wednesday between 5 and 6 p.m.

So what are you waiting for? Post some comments before it's too late! If there is any urgent D.C. United news during the blackout, it will appear on the washingtonpost.com sports front.

Catch ya later.....

By Steve Goff  |  August 5, 2008; 9:15 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Garber Speaks
Next: Now Where Were We?

Comments

So, we're getting a Brazilian keeper?

Posted by: Greenbelt United | August 5, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Phew! I made it in.

Will the US men's Olympic team make it out of pool play? I say yes!

Posted by: Josh | August 5, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Kasey Keller to DC United.

Posted by: USA | August 5, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Any word on when tickets go on sale for the RFKCuba qualifier?

Thanks as always for the great work.

Posted by: Ben | August 5, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I concur re: Kasey Keller, as he is unattached to any club at the moment, after being released by Fulham.

Posted by: FarAwayFred | August 5, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Since when did Kasey Keller become a foreign goalkeeper? Friends don't let friends drink and post.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | August 5, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"...for 27 excruciating hours, I will not be able to post any new items and you will not be able to contribute any comments."

What?!

Calling the Giant pharmacy now...

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 5, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Eritrean, clearly

Posted by: one of the OTHER Eritrean supporters | August 5, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

If there's any news, you can just call us.

Posted by: RK | August 5, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Salvadoran would surprise me.

Posted by: Ben | August 5, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

usa jhon deliver red england white america sea water trust elephant

Posted by: areibmgreenb | August 5, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

The next 27 hours will be the most productive of our careers. All our focus will result in large bonuses, 15% of which we get to keep.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 5, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Hello Borat, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
about a keeper that we are need-ing
because of goals that we are bleed-ing

And our defense, it's got a pain, once again...

Posted by: TCompton | August 5, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Kazakhstan

I don't even know where start looking for a Kazakhstani Keeper!

Posted by: TCompton | August 5, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Google tells me that David Loria was Kazakhstan's keeper during Euro '08 qualifying.

Posted by: TCompton | August 5, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Why will Redskins Insider be able to post during this period of silence and Soccer Insider can't?

Posted by: Bart | August 5, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Keller is "foreign" (as a soccer player) in that he's never played in MLS.

He's been foreign-based.

Posted by: Pipes | August 5, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

DCU could be trying to sign:
David Loria
Aleksandr Mokin
or Andrei Shabanov!!!!

Posted by: RK | August 5, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Cmon! The Redskins are in preseason! You can't mess with that! DC residents need to know who the next 6th-string WR will be.

Posted by: RK | August 5, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm hoping it's David Loria. He's at least had tryouts with PSV and Sparta.

Posted by: TCompton | August 5, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Sen. Stevens can hide in the tubes?

Oh well, will miss you for 27 hours but you'll be back online in time to discuss the debacle Nowak's side is sure to be a part of Thursday!

Posted by: Kartik | August 5, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm. A nationality that is surprising. Hmmm. Any decent keepers in Iran?

Posted by: Ron | August 5, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Well we know that it probably will not be another goalie from Peru :)

Didn't Kasper and Chang go to China for scouting a year or so ago? Perhaps, that trip landed a back-up goalie.

Posted by: Oliver | August 5, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

after Troy obtained his Norwegian citizenship he is coming back!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

My money is on Mexican.

Posted by: silentbob | August 5, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Maybe a Pacific Island, like Fiji...

Posted by: RK | August 5, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

So we will be able to do chat at 1 pm but Insider is still down?
I bet Wells is about to have heart attack.
Ted Stevens...hahahahah get him.

Posted by: td | August 5, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

i was just gonna say chinese maybe

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Any news about this Olympic Soccer Channel - is Cox going to offer it and if so on which channel? do you have to pay extra for it?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Man, What a tease!!! You tell us about an impending keeper pick up and then you won't be able to talk to us for 27 hours!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Who wants to predict Barca v Red Bulls score line?
I will predict Barca 10-0 Red Bulls.
Why should nationality be surprise to anyone these days since it's a global sport? Not me. They can bring anyone from anywhere in the world not like NFL and MLB.

Posted by: arlington4united | August 5, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 5, 2008 10:19 AM
=====
If you have cable, yes. Check out Oly soccer on MSNBC.

Posted by: td | August 5, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Please say its Ollie Khan...please say its Ollie Kahn...Please say its Ollie Khan...

Posted by: Alan | August 5, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Washington, DC (Bloomberg), September 3 - Labor productivity increased by a record margin in August, the Commerce Department reported today.

Commerce spokesperson Geoff Aunger said an unexpected rise in productivity on August 5 accounts for almost all of the increase, although experts cannot explain the cause.

"For some reason, that one Tuesday in August led to some amazing productivity gains, particularly in the Washington, DC area," Aunger said.

In a related story, the web site YouTube announced that on August 5 it generated a record number of viewings for a video of women's soccer player Heather Mitts...

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 5, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm hoping its David Seaman

Posted by: Alexander Semen | August 5, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

My money is on Tshering Chophel. The guy's capped!

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | August 5, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

German would be good. Khan and Kirk yes yes yes!

what would surprise DCU fans?... Chinese might... Spanish... English?... Australian... Iranian could work... Turkish... Palestinian or Israeli? Saudi? Italian I like. oh heck I give up. *shakes fist at Goff* :)

Posted by: AlexandriaDan | August 5, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Seymore Butts?

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | August 5, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

The goalkeeper is Liberian.

Posted by: TS | August 5, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Gunnar Nielsen, the Faroese goalkeeper on the reserve team at Blackburn?

Posted by: Eric | August 5, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I don't even know where start looking for a Kazakhstani Keeper!

Posted by: TCompton | August 5, 2008 9:59 AM
----------------------------------------

Neither would anyone else -- they're all looking for Kazakh keepers not Kazakhstani ones...

Posted by: nationality po-po | August 5, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I think Chinese is a pretty good idea... especially if you've seen Shaolin Soccer:

Anyone? Anyone?

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 5, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

it's got to be spanish. nobody expects a spanish goalkeeper.

Posted by: stairs | August 5, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he's Canadian... Onstad anyone?

Posted by: swwj | August 5, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

E o melhor goleiro do Brasil,

Rogerio!

Posted by: Morganinguate | August 5, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

My money is on Tshering Chophel. The guy's capped!

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | August 5, 2008 10:38 AM
------------------
Believe me, if this guy's been capped, he ain't playin' goalie no more, you know what I mean?

Posted by: Tony S | August 5, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's Bruce Arena... wasn't he a GK once upon a time?

Or maybe George Michael (formerly of NBC4) who loved to mention on the extremely rare ocassion that he covered soccer that he was once a soccer goalie... LOL!! What a douche!

Posted by: Soy United! | August 5, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it'll be the pope. Heck, he's capped for the vatican city national team!

Posted by: GoUnited | August 5, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I don't even know where start looking for a Kazakhstani Keeper!

Posted by: TCompton | August 5, 2008 9:59 AM
----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

My mistake. Would people from Pakistan be referred to as Pakistani or Paks?

Of course, I'd seen Kazakhstani used on Wikipedia, the website of all things truthful and accurate, so I must have been mislead.

Posted by: TCompton | August 5, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

My money is on that young South Korean keeper who scored a goal in an olympic tune up match last week.

Posted by: David | August 5, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I knew there would be some sort of retribution for the Garber Speaks post...
Have a nice "day off" Steve!
Do you think the Red Bulls will get it any worse than the Goats did?
Should be good for some goals eh?
George Michael for DCU Goalie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Dadryan | August 5, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Posted by: United fury | August 5, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

australia!

dishnetwork dropped goltv..:( time to switch..

Posted by: mizage | August 5, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Negative Insider, the pattern is full, you can not leave the blogosphre.

Posted by: Dave | August 5, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Barca should slice and dice that pathetic NY defense pretty easily. I wonder who will play for them though. They might leave out their best players. Did they install real grass or are they playing on the astroturf?

Posted by: Glenn | August 5, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I've got my anti-anxiety medication on stand-by. Good luck everyone!

Posted by: beltwayrob | August 5, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ship's smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I cant hear what you're sayin.
When I was a child I had a fever.
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I got that feeling once again.
I cant explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 5, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Last?

Posted by: Section 130 | August 5, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Antartica

Posted by: Izzy | August 5, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

NEVER!

Posted by: Dave | August 5, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

What? I am actually going to have to work these next two days? I heard about this blog outage on the Nats Journal yesterday and was hoping it was just a bad dream...

Posted by: Sec. 131 | August 5, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

When will we find out who the keeper is?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Nope.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

When will we find out who the keeper is?

Posted by: | August 5, 2008 11:47 AM

I suppose in 27 when Goff returns or when DC updates its site in the mean time

Posted by: AJ | August 5, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

My money is on Mexican.

Posted by: silentbob | August 5, 2008 10:17 AM
____________________________________________

Jorge Campos is coming out of retirement!!!

As for Barca - NYRB, my bet is 6-0 without Angel, 6-1 with him. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he can sneak one in.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | August 5, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

t-minus 7 minutes. I am depressed.

Posted by: Rocko | August 5, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

How do I become foreign?!?

Posted by: Hope Solo | August 5, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

My money is on someone from Asia. No Asian players in the MLS yet.

Posted by: The Union | August 5, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I guess I have to work this afternoon and talk to my wife tonight. Where will I put my comments on tonight's SuperLiga final?

Posted by: John | August 5, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Look, Dave, I can see that you are very upset about this.....

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Off to that bastion of cogent analysis, bigsoccer.

Posted by: Ron | August 5, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

i'm back...

Posted by: t.meola | August 6, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

So where is the new goalie from? (okay, perhaps a bit ahead of news and guessing)

Posted by: New goalie | August 6, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I need answers Goff! See you in 15 minutes or so...

Posted by: jgildea8 | August 6, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

So after all this "maintenance", the timestamps are an hour off again. This is progress????

Posted by: tri-village | August 6, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

yopp!

Posted by: Whoville | August 6, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

It's 3:02. Where's Goff? I'm dyin' here!

Posted by: Friendship Heights | August 6, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

First? ;)

Posted by: RK | August 6, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

????????

Posted by: THE TIME IS 3:10! | August 6, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Here's a football-related item on the newly minted Olympics blog:

Posted by: tri-village | August 6, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Uhhh... I flew home to check the blog and nothing! You're killin me Goff!

Posted by: kris | August 6, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Hi Goff,

Ljungberg mentioned that he's now considering retirement or interest from USA and Asian teams. What are the chances that he could land in MLS next year as a DP? Potentially with Seattle? They have a small Scandinavian community, Ballard, so there's some reason to sign a prominent Swedish player (many of the true scandinavians are old, but Seattle still plays off Ballard as being Scandinavian). Just a thought.

Posted by: Borussia Ballard | August 6, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

So I guess the 27 hours of blog maintenance does not apply to the time stamp.

So gang, how bad was your withdrawl?

The shakes were pretty bad...but I had the productive two days @ work...Goff can not let that happen again.

Posted by: Sec. 131 | August 6, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Who wants to start the search party for the Goffer?

Posted by: Dave | August 6, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

According to the time stamp I am now 1hr in the future, maybe Goff is stuck somewhere in the time warp since it is only 3:35EST

Posted by: GLD134 | August 6, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Anyone watch the Super Liga final?
The penalty shoot outs are so much more fun in Spanish eh?
I'm not really kidding when I say that my daughters first word was:
Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

Posted by: Dadryan | August 6, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

How about Matt Reis's penalty kick?! I've never seen a keeper take a penalty kick before. After that one, I might not ever want to see one again!!!

Posted by: kris | August 6, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I just watched the highlights. I had honestly forgotten about Superliga. The revs first goal was NICE.

Posted by: gilbert | August 6, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Igwe w/ a nightmare game.

Posted by: RK | August 6, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Oo! MLSLive now only $10.

Posted by: RK | August 6, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse