Television, Drug of the Nation

Thanks again to the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy.

Here's a sample of your viewing options over the next two days.....

TONIGHT
*Midnight ET: Olympic men's final, Argentina vs. Nigeria (CNBC, Telemundo, Oly Soccer Channel)

SATURDAY
*9:30 a.m. ET: Borussia Dortmund-Bayern Munich (GolTV)
*10: Tottenham-Sunderland (Fox Soccer Channel)
*11:30: Werder Bremen-Schalke (GolTV)
*12:30 p.m.: Fulham-Arsenal (FSC)
*2:30: Stoke City-Aston Villa (FSC)
*7:30: Toronto-New England (FSC)
*10: USL2 final, Cleveland-Charlotte (FSC)
*10:30: Chivas USA-San Jose (HDNet)

Show of hands, who is staying up late to watch the Oly showdown? Should be a good one.

By Steve Goff  |  August 22, 2008; 4:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred Out 3-4 Weeks with Hamstring Injury
Next: Gooch, Ruiz Updates

Comments

not I!

Posted by: section 108 | August 22, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Setanta...

Saturday
LIVE Coca-Cola Championship - Charlton vs. Reading
LIVE Barclays Premier League - Liverpool vs. Middlesbrough

Sunday
LIVE Barclays Premier League - Wigan vs. Chelsea

Posted by: Kev | August 22, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Kev,

Doesn't Setanta also have Bolton / Newcastle (I think that's the matchup)?

Also, I haven't found a way to care about the U23 tournaments whether they are under the guise of being Olympian or not, so I doubt I will this evening.

Posted by: Kyle | August 22, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

As a Nigerian, I am *required* to watch :) Seriously, I am surprised my neighbors haven't complained these past 2 weeks, what with all the early morning soccer matches.

Posted by: Bart | August 22, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Bolton-Newcastle delayed on Setanta...

12:45 pm Barclays Premier League - Newcastle United vs. Bolton Wanderers

But live on Broadband 2 for Internet account peeps...

10:00 am LIVE Barclays Premier League - Newcastle United vs. Bolton Wanderers (Broadband 2)

Posted by: Kev | August 22, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

@Kyle, why do you not care about the U23 tournaments? I like them. Infact, I watch the U17 World Cups too. It's a great chance to see tomorrow's stars before they become ginormous stars and you have to pay extra to see them in foreign leagues.

Posted by: Bart | August 22, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I don't know how you can't get hyped to see Messi, Riquelme, Kun and the gang taking on a Nigeria squad that's on fire for the gold medal.

Beats early season EPL or Colaship any day for me.

Posted by: Locke | August 22, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

*raises hand*

Posted by: Matt in SF | August 22, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Olympic soccer finals is going to be fun. Early season EPL? Not so much.

Posted by: Spark Plug | August 22, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Holy moly a Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy reference. Now that that song is in my head, I'm going to have to put it on tomorrow's tailgate playlist.

Posted by: Paul | August 22, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Good games in the Bundesliga tomorrow... Can't wait.

Posted by: SoccerRaRa | August 22, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Isn't men’s rhythmic gymnastics and women’s 2k power walking on at midnight tonight? I can’t believe they would show crappy soccer over that.

If you losers are interested in a real sport the Nats are playing right now. Good luck playing in the dark at RFK tomorrow.

Posted by: Marc Fisherer | August 22, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely staying up for tonight's game. Should be a very good one.

Tomorrow's EPL games on FSC are underwhelming. Fulham-Arsenal and Stoke-Aston Villa? Should be back to back 0-4 home team shellackings.

Posted by: Rich C | August 22, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

ME!

Posted by: Elvis | August 22, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Portland travels to Vancouver on FSC tonight. C'mon u Timbers!

Posted by: Joe | August 22, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Finally us west coasters are thrown an Olympic soccer bone.

9pm tonight is PERFECT...

We paid for it though, with the 2 am kick offs during this tournament...

Posted by: mike in LA | August 22, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

My hand is up.

Posted by: John | August 22, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Television?
If I'm addicted to anything it's this blog.
I'd mainline Soccer Insider if I could...
Come to think of it, smoking it would be fun too:)

Posted by: dadryan | August 22, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Off to Williamsburg for a week, folks. I'll try and come up with some additional puns while I'm down there.

Be nice to Gomez, United fans. But give the Rapids everything you got.

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 22, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

"Show of hands, who is staying up late to watch the Oly showdown? "

- - - - - -

Fortunately, the Olympic final starts at 9 p.m. in the civilized world.

Watching a midnight start is "staying up late"? Please tell me there are some men on this blog.

Staying up late is staying up for the 3 and 6 a.m. semifinals.

Posted by: Troy | August 22, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you Paul. Not to mention their fantastic cover of the DKs "California, Uber Alles." Where has all the good political rock gone?

Oh, right, soccer. I wish I had better cable.

Posted by: e | August 22, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I am staying and wwill be watching tonight. I am in philly and realized that the hotel I am staying has cnbc so I am excited! If it was on msnbc they don't have it. I went to their bar and they were showing digusting baseball and boxing! Oh common! We don't deserved to be thrown in like this! I am ineterested to find out what happenend to Buyern tomorrow with all the star players!!!

Posted by: asrlington4united | August 22, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I like this idea of Goff providing us with TV channels for our beloved football games!!! Cheers!!! I will too stay up and watch the final between Argie vs Nigies.

Posted by: td | August 22, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I will lukcily it will be in prime time in LA. GOD IF THEY RUN COMMERICALS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PLAY!

Anyway, can't wait and should be fun

Posted by: Tammyinlalaland@yahoo.com | August 22, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

nice part about being on the west coast-9PM PST start time-PRIME TIME!!!

Posted by: frankie boy | August 22, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

I would but my son has a tx tomorrow.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Where is DC United-Colorado Rapids?

Oh, right. Thanks CSN.

Posted by: sitruc | August 22, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Yes, by all means CSN, dump the Redskins game and the half million viewers for the Unite game watched by 11,000. Come on, be real. We'd all love for the United game to be on, but nothing compares to the Skins ratings. Bid-niss is Bid-niss.

Posted by: DCU UCD | August 22, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I have kids who will be up bright/early. Plus I want to be alert for United tomorrow. Plus I invited a new girl on my daughter's team to kick a ball around with us tomorrow. Plus I fear Argentina will not allow Nigeria to make it interesting (how's the crow, waiter?). So no gold metal match for me.

Posted by: gringo | August 22, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

bid-niss is bid-niss and jokes are jokes

It's worth remembering that the match was initially scheduled to be on CSN and it was only a month or so ago that United was dumped for that hot girl CSN thinks will put out, but in reality she is just using CSN to attract other cable and even network channels.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 23, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

The soccer chain feed is breaking up like crazy so I had to switch to CNBC.

Posted by: John | August 23, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

those horns are driving me nuts

Posted by: Anonymous | August 23, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

water break? Never seen that one before

Posted by: Sec 131 | August 23, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Wow
never seen a quasi time out during a game to hydrate the players before, is it that hot out there?

Posted by: Locke | August 23, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

those horns are in my head mon. im sad to say im on my way. wont be back for many a day. my heart is down my head is spinning around i had to leave a little girl in kingston town. (why are they playing a song about jamaica?)

Posted by: FreeDC | August 23, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

The Olympic Soccer Channel has been fine for me. I've seen water breaks in plenty of matches. My mind won't allow me to recall what level of play it was or anything though(probably college) tonight. I had watched most matches online and had forgotten how annoying the commentary and PBP were. It's frustrating listening to these guys call the match from a studio in New York.

Posted by: sitruc | August 23, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse

dig it JD... You deserve some rest.
viva las locos, vamos United.~

Posted by: dadryan | August 23, 2008 12:52 AM | Report abuse

If you look real close . . . that's it . . . closer . . . . closer yet.

If you look really close, there's a soccer match breaking out at that Chuck Mangione concert in Beijing.

You see it?

Posted by: fireman451 | August 23, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

I thought United was on comcast tomorrow night... didn't I see Dcunited.com say that tv coverage was on CSN and Direct Kick??

Posted by: Josh | August 23, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

WOW, nevermind, thats really gay... I hate the redskins...

Posted by: Josh | August 23, 2008 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, those horns, arrrrrrrgh

Posted by: cat | August 23, 2008 1:28 AM | Report abuse

And Ekpo becomes the first active MLS player to play in an Olympic Gold Medal match - that's from the online commentary guy on nbcolympics.com. Interesting.

Posted by: cat | August 23, 2008 1:34 AM | Report abuse

I really hate the replays on this feed. They always show just the last touch or two and not the crucial pass or move or whatever that led up to it.

Posted by: cat | August 23, 2008 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Balboa is an idiot. Emmit Smith level blabbering.

Im conflicted. i really want Nigeria to score but i really dont want to listen to Balboa any longer then i have to.

Posted by: Pindar | August 23, 2008 1:43 AM | Report abuse

Repeat champions.

Posted by: sitruc | August 23, 2008 1:56 AM | Report abuse

The eagles played a great game, shame it didn't go their way. Exciting game, worth staying up. I switched from 'celo to the spanish feed 10mns in, an improvement =)

Ekpo was impressive and didn't look intimidated in the least.

Posted by: Locke | August 23, 2008 2:00 AM | Report abuse

Argentina and Nigeria should both be proud. Messi is only 21!

Posted by: Capitol Hill | August 23, 2008 2:02 AM | Report abuse

I thought Ekpo did well coming off the bench for Nigeria

Posted by: Anonymous | August 23, 2008 2:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCU UCD | August 22, 2008 9:43 PM

Plus with all of our players out with hernia, hamstring, toe and foot "injuries" why would anyone want to watch. My guess is Gallardo would rather watch the Skins game anyways because we know he can't be bothered to go down to RFK and support his team.

If Olsen had any one of these other "injuries" rather then his career killing one I'm 99% sure he would be on the field tonight. These guys don't care and have no dedication to United.

Posted by: Injury check | August 23, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Goff, what are the chances of getting some occasional guest posts by Mrs. Insider? No doubt the beloved consort of our nation's premier soccer writer has some keen insights into the game.

Posted by: Ron | August 23, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Totally agree with "Injury Check". I bet we'll see Olsen on the sidelines tonight,but will Peralta or our 2 Million dollar man be there?

Posted by: Mike | August 23, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

At the United/Revs game at Gillette earlier in the season Ben was there.

This last week, I didn't see him (and, yeah, I was at the stadium, so it wasn't a TV screen that I was getting my view from).

Be interesting to see if he's at RFK tonight.

Posted by: seahawkdad | August 23, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Glad I missed most of the Olympic final in favor of getting up early for a very intersting morning in England and Germany

Posted by: Kev | August 23, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Boro were unlucky today, deserved at least 1 point from todays game.

Posted by: Red Devil | August 23, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Tenorio's preview of tonight's action:

Will it be Tenorio or Goff in tonight's starting lineup for the Post?

Posted by: The Jeff | August 23, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Locke | August 23, 2008 2:00 AM
==========================================

Wow, have to disagree with you there. I stayed up to watch the first half and it was a pretty sluggish affair with only a handful of half-chances. Taped the second half and watched it this morning -- definitely a little more entertaining, but not much... Again, not that many dangerous chances, and both teams looked like they were playing about 3/4 speed for most of the time -- almost like a friendly. Can't believe the weather was had enough to warrant two water breaks (one in each half). It was 89F and 44% humidity according to Telemundo.

Posted by: edgeon | August 23, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

BBC reported that the infield temperature was 107F, better safe than sorry IMO.

Posted by: Red Devil | August 23, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I just noticed that the move to multiple English-language radio outlets for United, including the relatively powerful WWWT (1500 AM), begins tonight. Of course, a lot of us will just continue to listen to Limarzi online as usual:

Posted by: The Jeff | August 23, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

"almost like a friendly"

A perfect description of Olympic soccer :-)

And I noticed the 1500/107.7 signals for tonight's match - good stuff. Relatively rare Saturday day game for the Nationals lead to that.

Also nice to see Clint Dempsey get some minutes for Fulham today after a long international week. Whites beat Arsenal for just the second time in 43 years.

Posted by: Kev | August 23, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

No!! Arsenal lost!!

Posted by: Arsenal Fan | August 23, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Hello my friend, your site is very good! http://rkteenswwqszbt.com

Posted by: sfzpvlrnpo | August 27, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse