United-Revs, the Aftermath

Two Emilio goals, a go-ahead strike by Quaranta, a nearly full strength DCU lineup, a hardly full strength Revs lineup, a few thousand spectators. That pretty much sums it up.

The Battery, penalty kick winner over Seattle, comes to town Sept. 3 for the final.

The Revolution have suffered back-to-back losses for the first time this year.

Player ratings: Wells 5; Namoff 6, Peralta 6, McTavish 6, Martinez 6; Fred 5, Simms 6, Quaranta 7, Guerrero 7; Moreno 7, Emilio 8. Subs: Vide 5, Kirk 5, Zaher 5, Dyachenko 5.

Read my match report with quotes here.

A cool photo of Quaranta is available here, video highlights courtesy of DCU's behindthebadge.com are available down there:

By Steve Goff  |  August 13, 2008; 12:47 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: United-Revs
Next: USA Eliminated

Comments

Thanks, Steven. As ever, worth the wait. Great idea getting the vid up for those of us who couldn't make it up to the game. Now get some rest.

Posted by: Dobey | August 13, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

If Tino stays healthy could he make it back to the National team?
It would be nice to see two kids born in Baltimore (Kenny Cooper and Tino) play together on the National team

Posted by: Soccer fan | August 13, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know if the U.S.-Nigeria game will be broadcast on MSNBC or NBC?
Thanks!

Posted by: Jonathan | August 13, 2008 3:10 AM | Report abuse

Quick! Somebody dig the Coffee Pot Cup up out of their basement!

Wow, somebody already updated that article. Nice.

Posted by: Joe S. | August 13, 2008 3:27 AM | Report abuse

The USA-Nigeria match is on the USA network.

USA! USA!

Posted by: United fan in TN | August 13, 2008 4:52 AM | Report abuse

The US game is on USA Network too I think.

Posted by: andrew | August 13, 2008 4:52 AM | Report abuse

what did Orozco do? was the red justified?

Posted by: uranderson | August 13, 2008 5:15 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I just tuned in and already a red???

Posted by: Douglad | August 13, 2008 5:17 AM | Report abuse

A lot of ball skills on this Nigerian side. They look real dangerous coming forward.

Posted by: uranderson | August 13, 2008 5:24 AM | Report abuse

So far not bad, or should I say could be a lot worse. A mostly solid defensive team with a couple of good attacking chances here and there so far.

And as I type this its a goal for Nigeria.

Posted by: Douglas | August 13, 2008 5:40 AM | Report abuse

Half ends 1-0. We need to make some changes. A forward off (McBride hopefully) for somebody who can win balls on the left would make sense.

Apparently Orozco threw an elbow. I'd like to see a replay, but the announcers are suggesting that the red was deserved.

Japan and the Dutch are tied 0-0. The announcers said we go through if the Dutch lose or draw.

Posted by: uranderson | August 13, 2008 5:55 AM | Report abuse

Here's my prediction: Nigeria wins but Netherlands, in typical fashion, under-performs and can't get a result against the Japanese.

Posted by: Bart | August 13, 2008 6:00 AM | Report abuse

Orozco did throw an elbow after the play. I think that was the reason for the instant red. Not just being an elbow but because it came AFTER the play. I thought it was a bit harsh.

Posted by: Bart | August 13, 2008 6:02 AM | Report abuse

Tino? Healthy? National team? Friends don't let friends post drunk.

Great assist by Moreno on that 2nd goal.

Attendance: 6,797

Posted by: RK | August 13, 2008 6:02 AM | Report abuse

Feilhaber for Altidore?

Posted by: Dupont Circle | August 13, 2008 6:03 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe he took Altidore off. Of all the people he could've picked. Altidore was our best chance to get a goal on the counterattack.

Posted by: uranderson | August 13, 2008 6:05 AM | Report abuse

Whew, Holden had a golden chance.

Posted by: uranderson | August 13, 2008 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Why are the US patches covered up?

Posted by: Dupont Circle | August 13, 2008 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Because China is a communist country.

Or the IOC has some wacky rule.

Posted by: RK | August 13, 2008 6:19 AM | Report abuse

Yes, apparently the IOC has a rule about any logos. With the jerseys for the first two matches, it wasn't an issue, but these jerseys had to be taped.... God, the guys playing music from the stand have got to learn something besides the same 12 notes they keep playing over and over and over and over and.....

Posted by: speculation | August 13, 2008 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Damn

Posted by: sitruc | August 13, 2008 6:38 AM | Report abuse

It's over. I'm heading back to sleep.

Posted by: Douglas | August 13, 2008 6:38 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Japan...

Posted by: sitruc | August 13, 2008 6:40 AM | Report abuse

For the second time in less than 24 hours, the USA relies on a group of Japanese athletes to bail them out.

Posted by: The Jeff | August 13, 2008 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Michael Orozco made Mexico very proud today!

Posted by: johnny | August 13, 2008 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Way too early in the morning to already be disappointed by US Soccer.

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | August 13, 2008 6:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm sick of watching our national team flounder in any and every competition.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | August 13, 2008 6:55 AM | Report abuse

*shrug*

Breakfast?

Posted by: B.A. | August 13, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

*sigh* Well, so much for USA and getting back to sleeping...there's always Argentina!

Posted by: Douglas | August 13, 2008 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately the red card was deserved. Stupid and disgraceful mistake by Orozco.

That and Holden's late foul against the Netherlands may be the two pivotal moments of the tournament for the U.S.

Lack of discipline killed us.

Posted by: Joe S. | August 13, 2008 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Like Bob Bradley is going to have any better result than his flunky Nowak. Things arent going to change until we invest millions into our national team coaching.

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | August 13, 2008 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Well on the DCU match I was right about the score and happily wrong about the loser. DC with a nice win at the rather insignificant USOC, but let's hope it is a springboard to a very strong last stretch of the MLS season going into the playoffs.

Posted by: Ron | August 13, 2008 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Forgot about Adu and Bradley suspended for yellows. That didn't help either.

Posted by: Joe S. | August 13, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

The US men's olympic team may possibly have shown the single biggest display of stupidity ever in a tournament. Between Bradley taking a yellow card he had to know he'd get which eliminated him from this morning's game, Holden's foul at the end of the Netherland's game, and Orozco's gratuitous elbow this morning, the team squandered a golden opportunity to slience the critics and make the knockout round. Oh well, go U.S. women...and go United - discharge the Battery.

Posted by: BillyBob | August 13, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

I think your score for Fred is too high. He was not good. He didn't move the ball quickly. When he did make it pass it was usually to NE. A poor night for Fred.

Simms drove me crazy be being slow and going backwards so much as well.

The whole team needs to move the ball fast and move off the ball. There were glimpses of that last night.

Posted by: Glenn | August 13, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Why do people keep calling USOC insignificant? Do you or do you not want to be in champions league next year? Well then its pretty darn significant isnt it? You sure as hell would think it was significant if we were sitting at home for every tournament next year.

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | August 13, 2008 7:11 AM | Report abuse

If I'm going to complain about officiating, it won't be on Orozco's bonehead elbow ... it'll be the PK awarded to the Netherlands on a shove just inside the box late in the game against Japan.

My player rankings from USA-Nigeria

Guzan: 6, several reaction saves kept the US in the game
Wynne: 6, a beast on defense, took ball away from Nigerian attackers repeatedly
Parkhurst: 4, gritty defending, but got beat on both goals
Edu: 5
Orozco: 0, red-carded for elbow in third minute
Klejstan: 4, his PK eases his rating; he continually gave the ball away in midfield
Szetela: 5
Holden: 5, several dangerous free kicks
Rogers: 3, abysmal tournament; he contributed little on offense and was worse on defense
McBride: 4, disappointing, got few chances
Altidore: 4

McCarty: 4
Feilhauber: 4
Davies: 6, hit the crossbar on potential game-tying goal

Should I give rankings to Bradley and Adu also? :D

Posted by: United fan in TN | August 13, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

How angry could someone have made him 3 minutes in that he could not control himself? What a disgrace to all the athletes there.

but the good news is adu and bradley should be fresh for the quarters after missing this meaningless game. right marcelo?

Posted by: kt | August 13, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Sasha is maddening, like Adu -- you can see the talent in some plays, but 90% of the time that creativity leads to giving the ball away.

MOTTournament, USA, is has-to-be-Europe-bound-at-some-point Wynne.

Posted by: RK | August 13, 2008 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | August 13, 2008 7:11 AM

Thanks MP. I'm also getting pretty tired of some posters downgrading the USOC as if United had better things to play for right now (in case some haven't heard yet, we got blown out of the SuperLiga). More hardware, momentum going into the 08-09 CCL, and a ticket to the 09-10 CCL make the Open Cup plenty important.

Posted by: BillyBob | August 13, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kt | August 13, 2008 7:15 AM

Well played kt.

Posted by: BillyBob | August 13, 2008 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Who feels like a bigger schmuck right now? Orozco for the early read card or Holden for giving up that free kick on the 19 with a minute left?

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | August 13, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

The USOC -was- unimportant, until the gave the champ a berth in the CL.

DCU lost to Harrisburg on a high school field last year. That's how unimportant it was.

Posted by: RK | August 13, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse

United Fan in TN, I agree with almost everything you said!
Ryan Babel was the dutch player that got "fouled" as soon as he stepped in the box, he did the same thing for Liverpool in the Liverpool - Arsenal Champions League quarterfinal. Babel and Alejandro Moreno are fantastic at exaggerating fouls.

Klejstan had a terrible game until he scored. The little moves he was doing just weren't working.. those Nigerians were taking the ball and bowling him over every time.

I'm left with a hurt in my stomach from this match, but the one thing I can take from it is the effort the US put into the game - they essentially played the whole game a man down! And we were in it until the very last second.

Posted by: andrew | August 13, 2008 7:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm a big Marvel Wynne fan now ... and not just because of his name ... the man is a beast, and I see the men's national team in his near-future.

Time for McBride to retire for good. Say what you want about lack of service, he wasn't impressive when he did get the ball.

I've been a Klejstan fan prior, but Sasha was a huge disappointment in this tournament.

I don't want to hear Robbie Rogers name linked with the USMNT anytime soon. I almost hoped he'd get red-carded ...

And sigh ... not enough for Jozy in this tournament.

---

As long as officials continue to reward dives like Babel's with PKs, the players will keep diving.

Posted by: United fan in TN | August 13, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Simms drove me crazy be being slow and going backwards so much as well.

Posted by: Glenn | August 13, 2008 7:10 AM
------------

You are right, Glenn. I have downgraded Fred to a 5. SG

Posted by: Goff | August 13, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

ok, 2 things....
first, were the tickets to the usoc game really $50 like my friend told me? If so, DC's front office deserves a tiny crowd. For a Tuesday game against the Revs reserves, ticket prices should be cut, not raised.

second, I think Novak did a good job of coaching the guys in the olympics, but he should never again be responsible for squad selection. He went to china with 4 defenders on the whole roster, none of which could play left back. I think Bornstein might've been a more appropriate over-age pick than McBride, or maybe even Parkhurst.

Posted by: jrnail23 | August 13, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Wynne had a good tournment and his speed is an incredible asset. His touch is terrible and he can't cross. If he were to improve dramatically in those areas he would a lock at right back for years for USMNT.

Posted by: Omar | August 13, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

"were the tickets to the usoc game really $50 like my friend told me?"

--------------------------------

I was a walkup and bought my tic for $20.

The incredible Carne Asada stand remains a bargain at $10 per plate.

On Fred, my untrained eye sees much fancy footwork that leads to nothing more often than not...and he gets bounced around by the big guys. Literally.

Posted by: D C B 23 | August 13, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Fred had a few miscues against the Revs, but I'm not sure he deserves a 5 when Peralta and McT received a 6. Fred did enough dirty work defensively to receive a 6 in my book.

Our central defense is so soft - New England would have scored more goals with their full-strength team.

Great run and chip from Tino on the 2nd goal. I hope he keeps playing at a high level the rest of the season.

Posted by: SSMD | August 13, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I was upset that stucked with friends for a stupid dinner planned months ago. Glad United won. Better, final is at RFK and I will be there for sure.

Posted by: monky | August 13, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

================================

Especially in the first half, he was not making the far post run when it was called for. He killed 3 or 4 early attacks that way, and then it looked like Moreno pulled him aside and said something to him. He was just kinda hanging out in no man's land, maybe he's been watching Beckham film or something. When he did win the ball, he was just mis-firing for whatever reason, maybe just an off night. Looks to me like his natural instincts suit a central player. With Quaranta back and Guerrerro on board, maybe they should try it. Fred, Emilio and Moreno might be nice triangle.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 13, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

The ticket prices DCU charged last night were outrageous. They should have made all seats $10 each to encourage turnout.

I decided to buy a $20 Spectator seat, and then just walked to my normal Premium seat where I have season tckets. The security goons were only checking tickets for the 100 and 200 sections.

Posted by: J | August 13, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Now that United won, I feel comfortable asking this:

Was New England's gamble to rest their starters worth it?

A lot can happen between now and the end of the season. They're schedule is going to get crazy very soon. Fatigue, injuries, and National team commitments will no doubt be a huge challenge for Nicol.

If New England looses steam in the fixture congestion, they could lose their Supporters Shield position (especially considering Chicago's resurgence and head-to-head record), and get knocked out of MLS post-season due to a decline in form and fitness.

It seems to me that playing so many reserves last night was a huge gamble with regards for qualifying to the 2009-'10 Champions League.

Posted by: TCompton | August 13, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: J | August 13, 2008 10:21 AM

Good call J. Wish they'd do this for the final...but they won't. With FSC carrying the final live, and a USL1 team as an opponent, look for attendance to be worse than last night.

Posted by: BillyBob | August 13, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

FYI NBC Olympics.com has the entire match, use the navigation bar in the comments to find plays . . .

Yes, it was an elbow, but more of a touch, really, not a vicious elbow at all. The Nigerian took it in the chest and flopped to the ground like he'd been shot.

Silly play, but the red card is way too harsh.

Posted by: delantero | August 13, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

The DCU marketing department should definitely slash ticket prices for these Open Cup games. I understand that the franchise has a tough time making money because they have to pay rent to the city, but I do not see that as a valid reason for their rigidity when it comes to keeping standard pricing for these non-season-ticket-holder matches.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 13, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

With the US's elimination from the tournament, does that mean McBride will be back in time for the Chicago game this weekend.

Posted by: United fury | August 13, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse