United Roster Moves

To make room for goalkeeper Louis Crayton on the senior roster, D.C. United has demoted midfielder Joe Vide to the developmental roster and waived rookie midfielder Dan Stratford.

Stratford, a London native who played at West Virginia University, appeared in five league matches (one start) for a combined 81 minutes. He recently recovered from arthroscopic knee surgery.

Just speculating, but I would imagine Stratford's foreign-player status contributed to the decision. Crayton's arrival would have filled all eight international slots. By leaving one open, United has the flexibility to trade for a foreign player.

Unless something urgent arises, I will not rejoin you again until my arrival in Chicago tomorrow. I am then off to Guatemala City on Sunday for Wednesday's USA qualifier.

FYI, the Post Web site has been experiencing technical difficulties. If you are unable to post comments, be patient and try again later.

By Steve Goff  |  August 15, 2008; 3:36 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cooper, Pros and Cons
Next: Arena Ball

Comments

any comments on TFC signing Johann Smith?

Posted by: Ossington Mental Youth | August 15, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Why not Dyachenko??? Why not Dyachenko??? this team is killing me!

Posted by: k | August 15, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Don't like the Vide move. He's been solid (if not spectacular). Although I guess it can be reversed when someone admits that Olsen isn't coming back this year.

Posted by: Terp | August 15, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I was kind of hoping Dan would get to stick around. I thought he showed some promise in the limited minutes he got to play. However, when it comes to leaving an Int'l roster spot open that says the FO has something up their sleeve for a player acquisition. Let’s hope that spot doesn’t go to a ‘Neill type’ player – Hell Stratford was better than Neill.

Posted by: Redd | August 15, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I guess that Dan Stratford getting waived confirms another wasted MLS draft for DC United (although he was a Supplemental Draft pick IIRC). Wasn't he the rookie player the coaches said was most ready to play? I hope he catches on with another MLS team.

Posted by: DWE4 | August 15, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

No problems here at WPNI - the site is fine and all the blog servers are running clean.

-WPNI Infrastructure Team

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

If no other team claims Stratford off waivers, can United keep him?

Posted by: Just Wondering | August 15, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Why would United keep him? They just waived him. He's gone.

Posted by: Goff | August 15, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

So long Stratford, we hardly knew ya . .

This feels like Band of Brothers where no one wants to get to know the new guy as he . . you know . . is going to get it

Posted by: delantero | August 15, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Did Gallardo travel with the team?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Dan for the little that you were allowed to give us. One of these days United will actually consider things like nationality during the draft. It will happen, right after they start to give a shade of a crap about the draft itself.

Moving on...

So Goff, this Johann Smith situation at TFC, does that totally destroy whatever hope the Gals had in dumping Ruiz and his massive cap-denting salary? If so what other options does LA have to free up room for Eddie?

Posted by: Kosh | August 15, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Why would United keep him? They just waived him. He's gone.

Posted by: Goff | August 15, 2008 4:31 PM

Didn't know whether the MLS system resembled the NHL's, with teams getting to hold on to players that "clear waivers."

Posted by: Just Wondering | August 15, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

No big deal. Vide is way ahead of Stratford on the depth chart, as is Thompson and Carroll. However, this entire "developmental" pay scale is an embarrassment to the league.

Posted by: griffin1108 | August 15, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo is still healing the soft baby body. He won't be going. Q is did grandpa Peralta healed?

Posted by: nymous | August 15, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I guess United will use that foreign slot to trade with someone in the league, and not try to sign a guy playing in SA or Central America. I dont know, with the Crayton signing, how much cap space United has left.

BTW, when does the transfer window close?

Posted by: United fury | August 15, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

How old is Vide- I got the impression he wasn't that young?

Posted by: laur | August 15, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Also- does this mean he takes a paycut?

That would really suck...

Posted by: laur | August 15, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

So why did Stratford get released? Looked like Dom's injury was the season ending injury?

Posted by: fanx317 | August 15, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Don't you guys read? Stratford got cut because he is taking up a foreigner slot and wasn't going to be a first teamer any time soon.

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I'll second (or third) the "Why not Dyachenko?" wail.

Vide is decent, I wouldn't have downgraded him to developmental, but then again he's a yellow/red card magnet.

Posted by: stuckintraffic | August 15, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah - forgot about the foreigner aspect. BUT let's not bemoan the moving Vide of to 'developmental status' thing too much. NYRB barely played him and San Jose, for god's sake, didn't play him AT ALL. He is a walking foul. What are we looking for out of this kid? Energy- sure but that isn't soccer. Again I think we, or rather our coach just doesn't get what the big win takes.

Posted by: fanx317 | August 15, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glenn | August 15, 2008 5:22 PM
___________________________________________

I agree on this one.

I saw hope for Stratford, he showed some good skills, seemed like he'd be a good DF mid. Too bad he got hurt, i wish he could stay around longer, but it just so happens he got jurt at the wrong time. But why not pull olsen? He's been hurt and will probably hurt all season. Hell he might even retire(i hope not though)!

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | August 15, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Bad move. Vide has been electric. Dan was doing well also. Will miss Dan alot. I don't see the fascination with Doe. It is once in a blue moon he does anything.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

"But frankly I am baffled by keeping Olsen on the roster instead of putting him on the season ending injury list."

Maybe there's some logic behind this...or maybe I just want Benny back.

Posted by: Smeagol | August 15, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't know where anyone saw promise from Stratford in the games he played. He really struggled with the defensive side of the game, as well as in distributing the ball. Last time I checked, those are somewhat important for defensive midfielders.

Moving Vide to the developmental roster was called a bad move by several people...why? It's not like he becomes ineligible to play for the team. It sucks for him personally, but it doesn't impact his standing in the squad much at all. Assuming we don't get any new center backs (still holding out hope) and McTavish is forced to stay there, Vide is our undisputed #2 choice at defensive midfield behind Simms.

Finally, to the anonymous anti-Doe poster:

What are you talking about? He struggled in his first appearance for the club, and then did really well in the Superliga. He then got surgery to take care of a lingering injury.

The guy gets 2 goals in 3 games against Guadalajara, Atlante, and Houston, while hurt and surrounded by massively underperforming teammates, and you're ready to write him off?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 15, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I can never figure out how the MLS salary system works, but if I remember correctly, Vides' contract for this year is still be paid by San Jose. Is that correct? And if so, does that mean that his move to developmental status with United won't effect his pay status? If that's the way it works, sounds like a heckuva move by United. But then again, I don't understand the MLS system completely...

Posted by: Crippled Keeper | August 15, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Crippled Keeper | August 15, 2008 10:28 PM
--------------------------------------------

Don't worry, MLS doesn't understand the MLS system completely either...

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 15, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

It is sad that Stratford lasted longer than Franco Neil...Stratford sucked. Move on...

Posted by: Alan | August 17, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse