USA Women Defeat Japan

"The rain on my car is a baptism, the new me, Ice Man, Power Lloyd, my assault on the world begins now."

Carli Lloyd's strike lifts the USA women over Japan, 1-0. Read about the match here and check coach and player quotes here. Norway (2-0) also won, beating New Zealand 1-0, to stay ahead of the Americans (1-1). The ramifications of finishing first or second are immense. In the quarterfinals, the first-place team from the group will face a third-place side from one of the other two groups while the runner-up is almost certain to play Germany or Brazil. Oof.

The USA men (1-0) return to action Sunday (7:45 a.m. ET, USA Network and NBC Soccer Channel) against the Netherlands (0-0-1), and who better to assess the Dutch than American midfielder Michael Bradley, who plays in the Eredivisie. Read his Q&A here.

On today's MLS calendar.....
-- Toronto at Colorado, 4 (FSC)
-- Chicago at New England, 7:30 (HDNet)
-- Chivas USA at Kansas City, 8

By Steve Goff  |  August 9, 2008; 9:48 AM ET
Categories:  MLS , Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Open Clarification
Next: Gibbs Returns (Cory, Not Joe)

Comments

Nice "Say Anything" reference, Goff!!!

Posted by: DCU UCD | August 9, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Don't you mean Bradley "played" in the Netherlands? :)

I tried taping the game, but the schedules online and through the cable aren't very clear. I ended up taping men's boxing.

Posted by: RK | August 9, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

you can't really go by the TV schedule. Especially on days like today when it is something like 2AM-2PM with multiple sports listed. You need to go to the sport's page on the Olympics or NBCOlympics website to look at the actual schedule to see when the match starts. It's fairly easy since China is exactly 12 hours ahead of us in EDT.

Posted by: Glenn | August 9, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Is the game on USA in HD?

Posted by: Alan | August 9, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

The US Soccer site is also good for providing times of upcoming games involving US sides, along with which basic cable channel (MSNBC or USA) will carry them.

Posted by: tri-village | August 9, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

the road to the womens gold has always gone through Germany or Brazil, sooner or later. Looks like sooner this time.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 9, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

To answer I-270's query from the previous thread, the Yanks played quite aggressively. However, I have to wonder how they would have done against a stronger opponent. They had problems clearing the ball out of their own end. At the other end, the finishing left something to be desired.

What is the deal with Chalupny? Is bringing in an alternate (presumably Krieger) a possibility? I get the impression that virtually all the Post's reporters in Beijing, and that the Post is relying on wire service reports for anything taking place outside the capital. It is at times like this that I wish Goff were on the scene.

Posted by: tri-village | August 9, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Just moved to Chicago and I'm in deep need of the Olympic Soccer Channel--anyone know what channel it's on with Comcast digital cable?

Posted by: Logan Circle | August 9, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Ch. 221 on my Comcast Digital.

Posted by: Goff | August 9, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Try 221 on Comcast

Posted by: curious | August 9, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Gracias tri-village

Posted by: I-270, | August 9, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Should have written "shei shei," but I can't spell it.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 9, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Should have written "shei shei," but I can't spell it.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 9, 2008 12:12 PM
===========================================
Don't you usually need to take a couple of plastic bags to clean up behind those, 270?
LOL

Posted by: Throwin | August 9, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

tri -- ussf website says chalupny was held out for concussion reasons, she's had history. will be evaluated before NZ.

did Hucles show anything today?

Posted by: OWNTF | August 9, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

nbcolympics.com is a fantastic site. All sorts of highlights, full games, etc.

You can even watch badminton, LIVE!!

Posted by: shuttlecock fan | August 9, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

and live team handball as well

I like that the Olympic Soccer Channel shows the games without commercials unlike USA, MSNBC, etc

Posted by: Glenn | August 9, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching Canada-China right now. This is garbage.

No Olympic Soccer channel in Atlanta.

Posted by: RK | August 9, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I wasn’t impressed by the result. We were somewhat lucky to pull off a 1-0 victory against Japan.

I would say the good thing about the poor women’s results is that it has as much to do with the rest of the world getting much better as us getting any worse.

Japan fielded an impressive team. Women’s soccer has come a long way and only seems to be getting better.

Is it wrong to love the Aussie Womens b-ball teams uniforms? I'm not missing another one of those games.

Posted by: Just asking | August 9, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

my fav from Say Anything:

Dobler: "I got a question. If you guys know so much about women, how come you're here at like the Gas 'n' Sip on a Saturday night completely alone drinking beers with no women anywhere?"

The other guy: "By choice, man"

Posted by: Sec 131 | August 9, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Is it wrong to love the Aussie Women's b-ball teams uniforms? I'm not missing another one of those games.

Posted by: Just asking | August 9, 2008 1:30 PM

No. I've been a big fan of those uniforms for years and have pushed for many teams to use them. I was just disappointed that those uniforms were better than the indoor volleyball uniforms.

Posted by: sitruc | August 9, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Unless Norway loses to Japan, and the US scores a ton of goals against New Zealand, our women are doomed to second in the group. I was hoping they would have more time to gell before seeing Germany or Brazil.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | August 9, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

What? Are they thongs the aussie women's uniform?

Posted by: heesie | August 9, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.

Posted by: JJH | August 9, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and also this:

Posted by: JJH | August 9, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

did Hucles show anything today?

Posted by: OWNTF | August 9, 2008 12:56 PM
==========================================

I saw what was said at the US Soccer site, too. I'm just worried that if they continue to evaluate LC on a game-to-game basis, they may lose an opportunity to bring in a needed alternate.

As far as Hucles goes, she didn't do a whole lot, but she was more explicitly functioning as a withdrawn forward (Chastain even called it a 4-5-1), and she sprang A-Rod several times. Unfortunately, A-Rod's finishing was not good, and she was also offside a few times.

The Canada side is made in the USA even more than ever, from back (Erin McLeod) to front (Christine Sinclair), at least in terms of NCAA pedigrees. I can see alumni of Portland, UCLA, Nebraska, Penn State, etc., having a rooting interest in them.

Posted by: tri-village | August 9, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse