A Few Minutes With Ben Olsen

Not Exactly News: Ben Olsen is done for the season.
A Bit of News: His very pregnant wife will give birth early next week.
A Little More News: He is fully intending to pursue a comeback.
Definitely News: His contract is guaranteed in 2009.

"Once I get the go-ahead, I am going to make up for lost time. Hopefully, everything is a go, 100 percent for next season. I've been through a lot and my body needs to get stronger. I need to regain muscle, I need to get my lungs back. I need to get my body to the right spot so I can push it in preseason."

"D.C. has stuck by me. They've been great. They gave me two guaranteed years [before this season], and I've wasted one of those years. I don't feel great about it. I realize I take a chunk out of the salary cap [$215,000], but sometimes there is nothing you can do about it. ... I want to make up for it."

By Steve Goff  |  September 26, 2008; 12:06 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: United Injury Update

Comments

Good for Ben to bring up the salary cap; at least he's showing concern for the team, and gets the bigger picture. What a relief from so many of today's Me First And Me Only athletes.

Sure wish he was on the pitch, but he sounds serious about rehabbing during the off season to come back stronger.

Posted by: BerwynHeightsUnited | September 26, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Go Ben! Something to look forward to as this season gets darker and darker.

Posted by: Rex North | September 26, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Damn, so we're subsidizing ole Benny and paying him to hang around. That salary of his is hurting our cap, poor Ben it's not his fault just a terrible situation all around.

Who else out o our old guys has guaranteed years Goff? Do Moreno or Gallardo have guaranteed years?

Posted by: Thora | September 26, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

We love you Ben so get better and get back on the Pitch, as soon as you can! WE LOVE YOU

Posted by: Shannon DCU Fan in LA | September 26, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Wait, when is he planning on the re-hab to begin? Is the ankle healed or are we just anticipating that it will be?

Posted by: JkR | September 26, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Congrats on the new baby!!

Posted by: Shannon DCU Fan in LA | September 26, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Ben deserves this. Even if he can never comeback and be 100%; hes an emotional leader. He bleeds DC United. I imagine his first "touch" on the field next year will be a yellow card cracking tackle on some poor schmuck who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Get well soon Ben and best of luck to your wife!

Posted by: strago | September 26, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Ben finally got a contract that recognized him for the critical role he plays for the team. I totally support him and know that he will do everything in his power to get back. Hopefully he will be 100% next year.He is the best. He deserves the money this year even if he couldn't play.

Posted by: beckster | September 26, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Can We sign Ben's baby yet?

Posted by: jgildea | September 26, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

That's some strong words from Olsen. Shows he really cares about his team. Admirable... Even if he is DC Scum.

Posted by: CbusB | September 26, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

How many of the players have both an injury and a baby this season? Olsen, Peralta, Fred. You can strain yourself going to Buy Buy Baby, Great Beginnings, and Babies R Us every week to look at the same cribs, sheet sets, and layettes (whatever the hell those are).

All kidding aside. Best wishes for next week Ben and welcome to the exhausting, frustrating, terrifying, and ultimately wonderful world of fatherhood.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 26, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Olsen, Gallardo, Fred, Moreno and Emillio in 2009! That be nice!

Posted by: Izzy | September 26, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Well said, I-270.

Posted by: Goff | September 26, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Ben has earned his contract with his playing time ( one game but DAMN that did #s for the team.) and his off the field leadership. As far as I am concerned Ben deserves far more than 200K but money is not nor will ever be a factor in his game. He plays for the love of the team, sport, and I will never complain seeing him on the roster even if it is IR, and he never plays cause the mentality and the heart he brings is something that is a by gone era in US sports. Congrats on the baby, I hope the house is done and we feel your pain, but know that You earned every penny Benny!! Vamos United!!!!

Posted by: Sec 131 | September 26, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

BEN! Best of luck with the birth, try to RELAX and enjoy your special little gift. It can be very overwhelming, but some deep cleansing breaths can go a long way...
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you can't swim laps, get your butt on a bicycle! Indoors on a trainer all winter long! You'll be close to home to help with the kid and it'll do wonders for your VO2 Max! I'd never suggest riding around DC's streets to such an integral professional athlete, but if you can get to some trails and start putting in miles you will improve your stamina. Very easy on the joints, and it only gets easier. You'll never get rid of suffering on a bike but it does get easier the more you do it.
Above all remember that the fans love everything you do for the club, don't listen to people lamenting the cap space, your tenure and presence have already justified your guarantee. Don't sweat it.
Get well soon you grizzly beast!

Posted by: dadryan | September 26, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Ben Olsen for President!

I guess it works out, in a roundabout way, that his wife will have the baby while has a relatively good amount of time available to spend at home helping out.

Posted by: voyager | September 26, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Ben,

If you need anything out of my ankle, feel free. Make sure you feed it an occasional hot dog and beer, and try not to get it wet or feed it after midnight.

Oh yeah; here's hoping rehab is as boring and obstacle-free as possible.

Posted by: Section 130 | September 26, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Just have to hope that Ben's real kid does not sport a Beckham jersey like his fake kid did in the Dick's SG commercial.

Posted by: Oliver | September 26, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I think Benny is worth that salary just to stand around being Ben Olsen.

Posted by: Colm | September 26, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm really glad we in the Barra pulled of that Ben tribute at the Galaxy game. Get well soon Beninho, we got your back.

btw, is Gallardo back in town?

Posted by: DirtyHarry | September 26, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

That's the best news we could have hoped for from Ben. And his single walk onto the pitch, outshining Becks on network TV -- that was best moment of this season.

Congrats, Ben -- enjoy the baby-time, and we'll see you out there kicking butt next season!

Posted by: rke | September 26, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Can't we do an ankle transplant from Gallardo to Olsen? They're both out anyway, so perhaps it'll get one back on the field faster....

Posted by: DWE4 | September 26, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Will United formally place Olsen on the season-ending injury list?

Speaking of injuries, former WNT regular Cindy Parlow popped up in the news this week in an unusual context:

Posted by: The Jeff | September 26, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Rosters are frozen. No need to add Olsen to the season-ending list.

Posted by: Goff | September 26, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

As any Cub fan would know: "Just wait until next year"!!

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 26, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I believe the Olsen baby will be suiting up for the next incarnation of the WUSA.

K

Posted by: SEKim | September 26, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I hope everything works out for you Ben. Get back some lungs and I want to see some yellow cards out of you. No one is gonna want to play us next year because we are soo dangerous when healthy.

Prediction: We will get atleast 65 points next year, Get the US open cup, MLS Cup, hopefully injury free for 90% of the season, beat a mexican team, have a couple of more players in the international pool, and get that stadium built.

While all of this is happening: no all-stars. LOL

Posted by: The Jim | September 26, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Payne said Gallardo might see some minutes against Cruz Azul. That's why I asked if he was back in town yet.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | September 26, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Benny, looking forward to seeing you next year. Hope your ankle is lots better.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 26, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Shoo-in for Hall of Tradition. Fuggedaboutit.

Posted by: ohboyohboy | September 26, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Ben's baby in the WPL, huh? That may be one hairy little girl :-) Not that some of the WPL ladies aren't already, so she'll fit in .....

I was wondering when she was gonna have that baby, she was (relatively, baby-speaking) huge at the end of August last I saw her and had fully expected her to have dropped by now. Maybe she just looked huge, because she is otherwise so tiny.

Glad to hear he can come back fine next year, this team NEEDS Ben. Relax and rehab and have your ass in playing shape by February my good man!

After watching Parlow play, I'm not sure she has a brain to study. Thug. When I saw that report on the news the other day I thought of Esky and Mediate.

Posted by: Lonnie | September 26, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

K
Posted by:SEKim| September 26,2008 1:56PM

I thought the same thing about my daughter when she was born on Ben Olsen's birthday last year! :-)

Posted by: dadryan | September 26, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Ben = Legend
Beninho's little girl will still have hair on her chest and score hat tricks against RBNY.

Posted by: jgildea | September 26, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"Dawson" can be either a boy's name or a girl's name right?

Congratulations Ben, and best of luck.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 26, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Good news during a stretch where we haven't gotten much lately. Congratulations to the soon-to-expand Olsen family. I can't wait to see Benny making life for an opponent hell.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 26, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Ben, I hate DCU with all my heart, but Ben is pure class, a rare gem of a man.

Posted by: Dave | September 26, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I hope Benny's reading these comments. Much love for you, sir!
Good luck with your new family, good luck with rehab.
In a roundabout way, you've been given the gift of time to be with your family. Enjoy it.

Posted by: Dobey | September 26, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Rosters are frozen. No need to add Olsen to the season-ending list.

Posted by: Goff | September 26, 2008 1:50 PM

So, did DC United err by not moving Olsen to the season-ending list? And bringing in another warm body?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: Late To The Party JayRockers! | September 26, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

===========================================
I like Bass or Newcastle, a six-pack will be sufficient.

Posted by: JSF | September 27, 2008 2:31 AM | Report abuse

-----------------

Olsen counts against the salary cap, whether he is on the active roster or on the season-ending list. DCU had no money remaining to sign another player.

Posted by: Goff | September 27, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Yes it's the best DCU news we've had in quite awhile. Congrats to the Olsens, hope and pray the Mrs. and little one are safe and sound during and after delivery. Ben may not have the skills, nor do I expect him to, he had years ago but he's our heart and soul in the midfield and everyone feeds off his energy. If anyone can make it back it's Ben. Hope he's back with a vengence next year and DCU is possesed to make up for it's bad 2008. Not over yet but it looks bleak to say the least.

Posted by: glove | September 27, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Jeff | September 26, 2008 1:48 PM
_____________________________________________

I thought of Josh Gros when I saw this. He has been affected the worst of all those soccer players mentioned, as far as we know.

Congratulations, Olsen Family! And know that soccer balls are not considered choking hazards... they can be put in the crib at an early age. I know, my hubby tried it until we found a smaller, softer one!

Posted by: HarkesyRules | September 27, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse