Afternoon Updates

*Thabiso "Boyzzz" Khumalo, a 27-year-old South African forward who played for USL2 Pittsburgh, will continue to train with D.C. United this week and could be signed before the Sept. 15 roster deadline. "We will make final decisions in the coming days with regards to the roster," GM Dave Kasper said. The club has a senior and a developmental slot available. The club has also postponed tomorrow's reserve division game at Kansas City because of injuries. United had planned to borrow a bunch of USL players to fill out the travel roster.

*The new Soccer America college polls are out with Georgetown (4-0) entering the men's list at No. 23. The men's top 10 is:
1. Wake Forest

5. Portland
6. USC
7. UNC
8. Florida State
9. Virginia
10. Penn State

*For some thoughts on Argentina, click here. Video from the Albiceleste's 1-1 tie with Paraguay:

By Steve Goff  |  September 8, 2008; 1:50 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , College Soccer , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Happy Monday
Next: USA Lineup?

Comments

Steven:

Any clues on the secret special international signing mentioned by Kasper on WaPo Live last week?

Posted by: the cheat | September 8, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

why even have a reserve division at this point? Can't each team MLS team just sponsor a USL2 team or something? and, I know we're looking at a backup and all, but somehow a 27-year-old in america's third division doesn't inspire confidence. ...though I guess even without seeing him he would he'd be better than the dy-stinky one.

Posted by: downtown | September 8, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

It won't be anyone that brings fans too much joy. I can tell you that much.

Posted by: td | September 8, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Senor Goff: I echo "the cheat"'s question above -- we've been wondering this since Kasper announced it last week. From the details he gave in the interview, he was clearly not talking about Khumalo (that would contradict what he said). It's been since Thursday and no more news, from either the team or from Mr. Tenorio in your absence. What's the poop?

Posted by: Bootsy | September 8, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I have hope!

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 8, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I have told you everything I know. When I uncover more, I will share it.

Posted by: Goff | September 8, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Steven. I appreciate the quick response. I know you would pass on to us what you know.

Posted by: the cheat | September 8, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Will Jaime be back in time for Saturday's game?

Posted by: 235 | September 8, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

is this Khumalo related to "The Doctor"?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

who else was in the top 25 for men? curious minds inquire, and soccer america expects me to pay(!) for such information.

Posted by: longfellow | September 8, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

The much-rumored Carlos Will Meija fits Kasper's young international description but he also played this past weekend for CD Marathon against Hispano in the Honduran League. If a transfer or loan deal was in place when Kasper was interviewed on WPL last week, it would not make sense that he played this weekend, risk injury, and jeopardize a deal between the clubs.

Posted by: ESPN Deportes | September 8, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Kasper mentioned that it was a surprise young international player. Since most folks would not be surprised by Meija since they do not know him in the first place, perhaps it is a more familiar name (i.e. Eliseo Quintanilla).

Posted by: ESPN Deportes Dos | September 8, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I have hope!

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 8, 2008 2:08 PM
====================

The audacity!
:-)

Another Khumalo of note.

Get it? Note? Ha ha ha.

Saw him play at the the Paul Simon concert on Saturday. I missed the USA-Cuba match because of that and it was Late in the Evening when I returned home in time to see DC Slip Slidin' Away.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 8, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I like the way EQ looked in the CCL and Mejia looked good as well. Kasper might have meant surpise as in somebody from a surprise country.(ala Chile with Currimilla)

Posted by: ESPN Deportes Tres | September 8, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"I know you would pass on to us what you know"

Really? Then why did you pester him about it with the very first comment?

Posted by: sheesh | September 8, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

It's C. Ronaldo. McFarland and Chang pull of all their assets and beat off Abu Dubai oil Tycon three hundred millions transfer fee for three year deal.

Posted by: surprise surprise | September 8, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Meija has the same agent (Alexander Solis)as Luciano Emilio so there could be something to him still coming to DCU. Meija did have trials during the summer on Russia and Poland so it looks like he is trying to get out of the Honduran League.

Posted by: ESPN Deportes Tres | September 8, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sheesh,

I think Steven can defend himself. He doesnt need an online knight in shining armor.

Get a life.

Thanks.

Posted by: the cheat | September 8, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Did Loyola (Md) crack the top 25? Show some love for the boys up in Baltimore.

Posted by: JH6 | September 8, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I have it on good authority that the young international is named Hayden Finch. Says he learned "the art of the kick" in Nepal or somesuch...

Posted by: G. Plimpton | September 8, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Here's an obit for Ray Bernabei, who had his own niche in the American soccer picture. Did anyone out there ever cross paths with him? I vague remember going to school with one or two of his kids.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 8, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sheesh,

Get a life.

Thanks.

Posted by: the cheat | September 8, 2008 3:16 PM

============================================

Sheesh wasn't defending Goff. He was simply pointing out that you're an ass.

Thanks.

Posted by: fig | September 8, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

As a DC United and Riverhounds fan, here's my two cents on "Bhoyzz".

I saw him play twice earlier in the year -- he has speed, a few moves on the dribble and is a decent crosser of the ball. Played on the left wing primarily but switched to the right on occasion. Hustles, plays two ways. Led USL-2 in shots, played all 20 games.

He's listed as 5'10" 160 - this might be generous - his shirt seemed loose. He's certainly no Fred and I haven't seen enough of Cordeiro to know if he's an upgrade as roster depth.

Cheers.

Posted by: pitzberger | September 8, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Creighton has already moved up to #2 in the rankings. Anyone know what Zach Wells is ranked these days?

Posted by: garbaggio | September 8, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: longfellow | September 8, 2008 2:18 PM
..........................................

Here is the Soccer Times coaches' poll, for which you don't have to pay:

It still shows last week's rankings, but it should be updated within the next 24 hours or so to incorporate results through Sunday.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 8, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Messi - Riquelme - Messi - Kun Aguero...... GOALLLL!!!!!

Now, where have i heard that before? oh yeah, at the Olympics. I think Tevez is in danger of loosing his starting spot.

What a horrible OG by the Argentinian defense.

Posted by: justsaying | September 8, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

A week and a half back, Ives reported that the Red Bulls were considering acquiring (or seeking a loan for) Mathew Mbuta from USL2's Crystal Palace Baltimore. I am stunned that given the dearth of options at forward/winger, United has not similarly taken a look at Mbuta -- who was certainly the most promising player on Crystal Palace's roster and one of the premier players in the third division.

Posted by: CP Baltimore | September 8, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"Sheesh wasn't defending Goff. He was simply pointing out that you're an ass."

Glad to know that I am being an ass for asking about a "secret" international signing and thanking Goff for all his coverage.

And wouldnt pestering Goff mean asking him a question multiple times, over and over again?

Posted by: the cheat | September 8, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

CP Baltimore - Mbuta has been training with New York and playing reserve games with them since the end of the CP season.

Posted by: Comcast Sportsnet | September 8, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

If DCU tries to buy him from Pittsburgh, I hope MLS doesn't block it ;)

Posted by: RK | September 8, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Comcast -- thanks. Mbuta and Khumalo are both listed as guest players, so aren't they in the same position as unsigned players who are uncommitted to any particular team, even when "on trial"?

From the reports available online, Mbuta seems to have acquitted himself well with the Red Bulls' reserves thus far.

Posted by: CP Baltimore | September 8, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

If United signs Khumalo, will we see "Boyzzz" on his jersey (a la "Fred")?

Posted by: BaltoFan | September 8, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

----------
Just saw this and thought it's worth of a mentioning here. Not sure Apertura/Clausura Schedule but anything in change that gives our league a break and a single I will happily take it.

Posted by: td | September 8, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Champions League first game against Suprissa is on Fox Soccer Channel.

Posted by: td | September 8, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I believe Goff has definite opinions about sites that traffic in anonymous rumors.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 8, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, you're going to need to find either a more accountable source or mls-rumors-rumors.net.

Posted by: B.A. | September 8, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

it seems most of the comment posters use anonymous because it doesn't require creating profile and just post the comment. I did it once because it's easier.

Posted by: td | September 8, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I think the Jeff is right, but... who doesn't like a little TMZ once in awhile?
@td where did you read about CCL match on tv? The home leg I'll probably have to go to. It's the away legs of this tournament I'm really curious about. I would happily go to the bar to see said matches or bribe big screen HD neighbors into watching soccer with beer and brats! I don't know if I'll pull going to every home match of the CCL but I'll dang sure try.
I think the craziest thing right now for United and it's fans is the fact that we've really kind of have a limited amount of home games in this last stretch in regards to the CCL and MLS league play.
at home we've got what? Dallas, Chivas Usa, and New England?
I am glad United is canceling reserve matches and I really hope the reserves are trying to put themselves in to the condition and mind set to make an instant difference if given the opportunity.
Cordeiro could have been a God in Santa Clara, he gave it a real go, and I've got faith he can concentrate enough that if he's given some more opportunities like that in the coming weeks he's going to deliver.
Sorry to ramble... But where is the news for the CCL TV coverage td?

Posted by: dadryan | September 8, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

..........................................

It is not the anonymity of the individual posters, but of the person(s) who run the sites, as well as the fact that their sources are often unclear at best, that is the problem.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 8, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Those game weren't scheduled to be shown on FSC as of yesterday td.
Good call checking again. Should we wager that if the MLS sides don't get spanked in the first leg that we will see the away jawns on FSC aswell?

Posted by: dadryan | September 8, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

CP Baltimore - Mbuta and Khumalo can technically sign with whatever team wants to buy (or get them on loan) from their USL2 team. In terms of Mbuta, DCU could get him but since he was been training with NY as well as playing reserve games for them - their coaching staff is getting a much better look at him than the DCU staff and thus would be more inclined to sign him at this point. Mbuta was in DCU's preseason camp for a week or less so the DCU staff should be aware of his skills.

Posted by: Comcast Sportsnet | September 8, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

hey g. Plimpton, can Heyden kick a ball as well as his uncle sid could throw? I look forward to gaping holes in the nets at rfk...

Posted by: northzax | September 8, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

DCU would do very well indeed if they can pick up Marcus Tracy from the draft. He is an amazing athlete.

Posted by: Go Deacs | September 9, 2008 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan: Sorry I wasn't being clear. The TV schedule I saw for Chompions league home game against Saprissa was on the Fox Scocer Channel news. They announced both FC Dallas game and CCL game. I have not seen the rest of the schedule.
PS I just bought all three home CCL games....wohoooo.

Posted by: td | September 9, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

is this Khumalo related to "The Doctor"?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 2:17 PM

---------------

No, I do not believe he is related to Julius Erving.

;-)