Americans Abroad

How the U.S. players fared in foreign leagues.....

GOALKEEPERS

*Michael Orozco 90 in San Luis's 1-0 victory at Pumas
*Steve Cherundolo did not play in Hanover's 4-0 loss at Leverkusen

MIDFIELDERS
*Clint Dempsey did not play in Fulham's 1-0 loss at Blackburn
*Bobby Convey did not play in Reading's tie
*Michael Bradley 65 minutes in Moenchengladbach's 1-0 loss to Hertha Berlin
*DaMarcus Beasley 72, Maurice Edu did not play in Rangers' 2-1 win over Motherwell
*Freddy Adu did not play in Monaco's 0-0 tie at Marseille
*Danny Szetela 90 in Brescia's 2-1 victory over Ascoli
*Jeremiah White almost 90, Benny Feilhaber did not play in Aarhus's 2-1 victory over Sonderjyske
*Sal Zizzo 40 in Hanover's loss at Leverkusen

FORWARDS
*Eddie Johnson 12 minutes in Cardiff's 1-1 tie at Derby
*Jozy Altidore did not play in Villarreal's 2-1 win at Numancia

By Steve Goff  |  September 22, 2008; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What Goal?
Next: The Good, the Bad, the Coyote Ugly

Comments

Based on those minutes, the more attack-oriented the position, the less impact Americans have. Our keepers played a lot, as did our defenders, but in the midfield and at forward Americans were bit players this past weekend.

One also can't help but to wonder if Freddy needs to come back to the US. He just is not getting any minutes overseas. Does RSL still have his rights? Or would he have to be re-allocated? I know none of that is likely, just curious...

Posted by: Ron | September 22, 2008 6:23 AM | Report abuse

Oops. Misread the midfielder minutes. Our guys in the midfield did get some minutes. I shouldn't try to analyze this stuff before I have had any coffee. Sorry.

Posted by: Ron | September 22, 2008 6:25 AM | Report abuse

IDK what team they were playing, but Jay DeMerit gave up a penalty in Watfords midweek game. He hit a cross with his hand. I think it was legit. It was a high, looping cross, and he had his hands above his head and hit the ball.

Posted by: Will Speck | September 22, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

After the pathetic loss by DC United at least one DC team had a good weekend.

Not sure how many Insiders had a chance to watch the Georgetown win yesterday but they looked very solid and Baca had a nice goal in the start of the match. Unlike United they actually played strong defense to preserve a 1-0 win.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 22, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Freddie Adu and our other Americans abroad must be patient, work hard and earn their minutes, just like every other player in their respective teams' systems. That is the value of training: to build up the player, so that when they take the field, they are ready to give a peak performance, having sharpened their edge in training.

Patience, friends.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | September 22, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Did Troy Perkins play in Norway?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 22, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

How about Troy Perkins?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Ante Jazic on the D.C. defense: "They reminded me of our defense early on in the season."

Ouch.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 22, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Markgraf scores for the first time in 193 caps! (On a PK)

Posted by: OWNTF | September 22, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Troy Perkins played the full 90 in VĂ¥lerenga's 0-0 tie with Aalesunds FK.

Go Troy!

Posted by: DE | September 22, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Updated with Perkins performance

Posted by: Goff | September 22, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

This site has videos from Saturday and Sundays action of Yanks playing Abroad. http://watchsocceronline.blogspot.com/

Posted by: Matt | September 22, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

@ I-270, Exit 1: And how does one pronounce these?
Midtjylland
Moenchengladbach

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 22, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Americans minutes in European league play? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Posted by: John Wayne | September 22, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Johnson can't even get on the field for Cardiff yet he's a NT call up. Wow, Bob Bradley must have an accute eye for talent. :rolls eyes:

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc: Are you trying to get me in trouble with the Lollipop Guild?

Nice reflex save by Friedel, getting down quickly to paw away a low shot.

! Programming note: FIOS has moved FSC from 76 to 84. As of this morning, the searchable guide still listed to old channel numbers. Take note if you plan to set your DVR, VCR, or reel-to-reel.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 22, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I ain't 270, but I do speak Danish.

Midtjylland is sort-of pronounced "mitt YOOL uhn" but you just can't put into the written word the noises included in Danish speech. Can't help you with Moenchengladbach.

I was in Madrid this weekend when Atletico won 4-0. I'd complain about the noisy celebrations, but I'm too jealous that they had something to celebrate. For the first time, I was glad this weekend that I couldn't watch DCU.

Posted by: troy | September 22, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I ain't either, but the closest I can get Moenchengladbach to English is "Muhnch-en-GLAD-bahck"

Posted by: AJ | September 22, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc was referring to "Midgetland" and "Munchkin Gladback." Which, although I know those are incorrect, come to mind when I read too quickly.

If you've already been drinking this morning (and who hasn't had a venti Stoli latte?), cut/paste those team names into a text-to-speech device like this one and amuse yourself.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 22, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 22, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 22, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about that. Stupid blogware.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 22, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Moenchengladbach

I believe it's pronounced as it reads: Moenchengladbach

By the way -- thanks to I-270. I didn't realize there were online speech widgets like that. Very funny. Doesn't even come close.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 22, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. Gather your co-workers round your desk and paste your boss' e-mail into that (after work, of course).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 22, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

YAY PERKINS!

Posted by: yayperkins | September 22, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Goff - thanks for these updates. Very interesting and appreciated.

Posted by: Hmmm | September 22, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

This is great info. I always try to find the games where US men are playing, but it's a hard stat to track.

Looks like our, arguably, best attacking exports are seeing a lot of the bench. That's not good.

Posted by: Hacksaw | September 22, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Everton was at home.

Posted by: GoUnited | September 22, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

It makes sense Freddy and Jose aren't playing regularly yet, both are very young at big clubs. My question's are what's up with Dempsey, Convey, and Cherundolo. Wasn't he the captain of Hannover for the last two years

Posted by: Just Saying | September 23, 2008 1:49 AM | Report abuse

Hi Goff, I really like the way you've organized this - very nice summary of who played and who didn't. Any chance of this becoming a regular Monday feature, and having its own category?

Posted by: Nick | September 23, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Goff, for this item. It's something I really care about and love to see in one place.

Posted by: Amanda | September 23, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse