Dark Day for MLS

What was the worst aspect of New England's elimination from Champions League play?

a.) The 4-0 loss at home.
b.) The 6-1 aggregate score.
c.) The attendance of 3,523 at Gillette.
d.) It came at the hands of Joe Public.
e.) All of the above.

Yes, E is the correct answer.

Wow.

And to cap the evening, Chivas USA was ousted at home by a Panamanian club, though not in the ridiculous manner that the Revs were vanquished.

Might these two results serve as an omen for D.C. United, which hosts Charleston tonight at RFK in the U.S. Open Cup final?

That's all for now. I will rejoin you later today from Havana. Maybe.

By Steve Goff  |  September 3, 2008; 8:24 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What About Bob?
Next: Greetings From La Habana

Comments

I'm guessing the 3,523 at The Razor included the concession attendants. Yikes. I don't think anybody in that organization cared one bit about this competition.

Let me add that, on behalf of all guys named Joe, I'm excited we finally got the respect we deserve.

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 3, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Roy Lassiter is spinning in his grave.

And he's not even dead yet!

Posted by: garbaggio | September 3, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

It's an ugly black eye for MLS. I hope last night's result is what's needed to convince Don Garber and MLS leadership that the current scheduling/tourney format is broken. Unlike others here, I think Superliga has value and is worth keeping. But the four MLS slots should go to Teams 5 thru 8 in the final standings, allowing the top four MLS teams to focus solely on the Champions League. With the league expanding to 15 teams next year, that means seven teams still only have regular season play and the U.S. Open Cup, maximizing the value of qualifying for the Champions League and Superliga.

New England clearly did not have any desire to participate in this tourney. They won their championship with the Superliga and are now focused on the MLS Cup. I can't say I blame them, but last night's result was unacceptable.

Posted by: J | September 3, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
Can you get Garber's take on this? As an MLS fan I hope that MLS will take this to heart and expand the cap after this season (instead of after the player's contract ends)to give room for a deeper roster, becuase it is starting to make MLS look really bad. England division 3 bad.

Posted by: Kyle | September 3, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

The losses will once again raise the issue of the lack of depth on MLS teams. As for the Revs, they were totally outplayed. Reis made Zack Wells look like Tim Howard. The last three goals were out and out ugly goalkeeping.

As for Chivas, they should have been able to take the aggregate lead in the first half alone with the multiple opportunities they had. Although it wasn't as ridiculous as the Revs loss, Chivas was beaten by a significantly worse team than Joe Public.

All-in-all an embarassment for MLS. Hoepfully DCU can salvage some pride tonight.

Posted by: BillyBob | September 3, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

New England probably played this pretty smart - if they want to have any legs left going into the MLS playoffs they could not afford to take this competition seriously since they already played (and won) in Superliga. thats the reality of MLS.

Posted by: smart | September 3, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad New England and Chivas lost, I have no love for anybody other than DC United.
Vamos

Posted by: Harpo | September 3, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

FYI: USA cuba tickets are on sale now for Visa card holders. Click the "Visa Proud Sponsor" box.http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_9437184.html

Posted by: Harpo | September 3, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Harpo | September 3, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Worst day for MLS since contraction?

Posted by: RK | September 3, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Considering the players that the Revs threw out there, I don't know how bad they were actually trying to win this. Outside of Reis, Joseph and Larentowicz there wasn't too many first teamers out there. Either way, this loss chalks up to the thin rosters MLS are forced to use due the salary cap.

Posted by: Felix | September 3, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Smart and Harpo have their heads screwed on straight.
I laugh every time I see a New England team lose:)
I do believe that New England couldn't have been taking this tournament as well as the Open Cup very seriously at all. They are saving what they have for the playoffs.
Chivas is just spread really thin. Glad to hear that Eskandarian is playing again, I hope he finds some personal success this season. Maybe a GOTW, one of these days?
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GO United!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dadryan | September 3, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

_____________________________________________

Yeah, I think that you nailed it. I think that's it's been obvious for years that the Krafts have absolutely no interest in anything other than MLS regular season play and the MLS postseason tournament. I didn't see the game, but my guess is that the Revs dialed it in. And, that's a smart move as far as preparing for the post-season tournament goes because the league's salary cap kneecaps teams like United that want to do the right thing and play for all the silverware that's available.

The league simply has to raise the salary cap significantly in the off-season.

Posted by: Stevenho | September 3, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Pathetic. This is why the league is not respected.

Posted by: cd | September 3, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

What about Joe Public's payroll and Joe Public's depth?

Some people seem to suggest that they had an advantage of some kind in those areas.

Posted by: JDO | September 3, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Vamos

Posted by: Harpo | September 3, 2008 8:51 AM
-----------------------
I'm glad I wasn't the only one taking delight in NE getting humiliated in front of their 26 home fans. I want MLS to succeed and all, but I hate the Revs. As for Chivas USA, we might as well start talking about them in the past tense.

Posted by: Greenbelt United | September 3, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

yup the mls playoffs is definitely more important than playing ManU or Real Madrid in the club world cup....what a bunch o' losers.

Posted by: mizage | September 3, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Rev's make history - the wrong kind.

From MLS.net
"No Caribbean team had ever beat a U.S. team in a CONCACAF club championship matchup. No Caribbean team had ever scored more than three goals against an U.S. team."

Nichol chooses to rest Parkhurst and Nyassi. Just didn't care for USOC or CCL this year. That game was on Fox last night and was certainly not good for the league.

Yes, now the Rev's are on even footing with the majority of the Eastern conference in the run for the playoffs and have a shot at the SS. But seeing as CCL is not important to that organization I can see why SN played reserves for the USOC semifinal.

Posted by: JMR | September 3, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

pwnd

Posted by: EdTheRed | September 3, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

you could say the same thing about DCU and Houston flunking out in the CCC in the preseason right?

Posted by: dadryan | September 3, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

""The last three goals were out and out ugly goalkeeping""

Reis has been playing poorly since his adductor went on the fritz.

Posted by: delantero | September 3, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Losing to Mexican teams is quite different.

Posted by: RK | September 3, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

didn't dCU lose to a real team by one goal on aggregate? as for houston...true.

Posted by: mizage | September 3, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I think the Champions League should be a priority if it is going to be the path to the World Club Championship. I'm not sure the Revs didn't prioritize it so much as there was no one left with Twellman, Mansally, Ralston, Dube, and Cristman injured. Maybe they should have called back Darren Sawatzky.

This lineup isn't going to scare anyone:
Matt Reis
Chris Tierney, Amaechi Igwe, Gabriel Badilla, Jay Heaps
Mauricio Castro, Shalrie Joseph © (Rob Valentino 68), Jeff Larentowicz (Pat Phelan 46), Wells Thompson, Khano Smith, Brandon Manzonelli (Joe Germanese 72)

Valentino and Manzonelli? Germanese? Did the Revs send the Italy U-19s out there? (Actually, the Italy U-19s are probably awesome or something.)

Badilla and Parkhurst seemed to have communication problems against LA...could take time for that partnership to gel.

Posted by: New England Guy | September 3, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

The only bad thing in my eyes is the Revs no longer have a packed schedule from here on out.

Posted by: peridigm | September 3, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Not a bad omen for the US Open Cup, but definitely bad for the round robin/1st round of CCL play.

Posted by: Eugene | September 3, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I am not comfortable yet on United winning the trophy tonight. Hope DC really proofs me wrong.

Posted by: td | September 3, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

So United ends up with the group of death .

Cruz Azul, Saprissa, and either a Honduran or Salvadoran club

while the "easiest" group is C

Atlante gets J. Public, the Montreal Impact, and Olimpia

Posted by: delantero | September 3, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Anyone even remotely associated with the NE Revolution should hang their heads in shame. I don't care if it's a World Cup final or a kickabout in the park. Once you lace them up and cross the white lines you play to win. As a DC United fan I've felt the same way when the team was poo pooing the Open Cup in years past. Any coach or player that doesn't give it 100% needs to be replaced.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | September 3, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Major Leagu Soccer is a joke I used to support it but now I'm done with this. What can you expect from mediocre college kids that don't have the skill and passion to compete at a disent level, but thats not their fault its the stupid MLS restrictions and bosses!

With respects,
One Less Fan

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Disent?

Posted by: RK | September 3, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I agree that New England probably looked at their list of beginning of the season and they they saw the top of the list was probably to be the first club in sporting history to lose yet another league championship, and therefore did not put their best effort onto the field.

But I disagree that DC United should do the same thing. What has made DC United the best club in the league is their competitive nature. They tend to view these challenges in the spirit of a Champion--as Teddy Roosevelt said, "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."

DC United are Champions--Not timid souls afraid of failure. And that's why I support them.

After United wins the US Open Cup tonight. I want them to focus on playing excellent soccer, advancing through the group phase of CONCACAF and into the post-season of MLS.

Vamos United

Posted by: TCompton | September 3, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

So Goff I see you exercised your new found capability of censoring my profanity-laced angry post last night. Good for you, dude and thanks for protecting me from myself. That was just too hard to watch and remain sane.

So about last night? Embarrassing. Absolutely embarrassing. I hope the league hurts as badly as we do. Don't get me wrong I hate the Revs too and there is a part of me that enjoys that drubbing, but alas that result will end up being the marker, the litmus test of the value of MLS to many who have no idea of the factors that lead to that sad result. That's the part that angers me.

The league has to understand that once you step your foot outside of that door and start playing in these tournaments it's all about pride and respect. Sound business sense takes a back seat. Why do you see so many big clubs in Europe in so much debt? Right now the CCL is not going to pay the kinds of cash that the CL, heck even the UEFA Cup will dole out to teams, so you've gotta know that this ain't about generating bucks. It's about pride, passion and honor. It's about showing other leagues what you've got. The Revs failed on all accounts, miserably, yesterday.

The money's not there right now. I get it. It's a young league. BUT there are some things that MLS can do to help it's teams out in these tourneys. I am not asking for a massive bump in the cap (as I don't really think that Joe Public had a leg up on NE in that area). Just spread it around more sensibly to allow depth. Don't let DPs (who teams are footing the bills for anyway) soak so much of the cap. 200 - 250K taken from the DP hit is at least 2 - 3 more quality players for depth. BUMP up the squad sizes!!

Stop punishing your successful teams with all this schedule congestion. There are more than enough teams in the league to play both the CCL and SL. I mean 8 teams make the playoffs - reward all of them somehow.

CUSA tried but they also lacked quality on the field. That said they lost to a really poor opponent. This sucks really something nasty bad.

As for tonight's USOC final? This is the ultimate test. Soehn has never convinced me that he knows how to win a title (and don't give me those SS's that we backed into). Tonight he wins something or just proves that he is a league manager not a cup/tournament manager. DC plays for cups, so that ain't gonna cut it for us.

Posted by: Kosh | September 3, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

word up DH...
I hear ya mizage, I just don't feel comfortable judging what teams are "real". Joe Public has sure as heck gotten a lot "realer" whipping the Revs.
I'm sure a lot of folks laugh at the top MLS teams and think of them in the same vein as JP, and then cringe when their club is faced with playing the MLS all stars. I'm guessing it's similarly embarrassing?

Posted by: dadryan | September 3, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Attn: Revolution Fans

Becoming the most storied club in MLS history starts by taking competitions seriously and then by winning trophies.

You have one. Tonight you can watch us take our 12th.

Posted by: delantero | September 3, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"Unlike others here, I think Superliga has value and is worth keeping. But the four MLS slots should go to Teams 5 thru 8 in the final standings, allowing the top four MLS teams to focus solely on the Champions League."

Totally agree with this.

Posted by: albionroad | September 3, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Attn: Revolution Fans

You have one. Tonight you can watch us take our 12th.

Posted by: delantero | September 3, 2008 9:55 AM

In all fairness, they have 2: 2007 USOC, 2008 Superliga

Posted by: soyinocente | September 3, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I like "J"'s suggestion. 5 - 8 take the Champion's league play. It would give the "lower seeded" teams a chance for international competition and would help them adapt to other style's of play, other than just the MLS.

A team like NE they probably didnt really take the game seriously and wanted to save their legs, however, as little as they care about the tourney, they still are representing MLS.

4 nill to Joe Public? I mean, come on. NE's reserves are better than that.

Oh well, no sweat off my back, really. All I'm concerned about is watching DC batter the Batter"ee". :)

Posted by: dogboy | September 3, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Pathetic. This is why the league is not respected.
_____________________________________

___________________________________________

Houston e-hem DC e-he-hem--- we have a problem...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

DC United certainly has a tough draw for group play in the CCL!

Check out the Trinidad League website...

Joe Public FC are currently in 5th place. It doesn't look like they are setting the league on fire...like they did to NE last night!!

Posted by: Redd | September 3, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Major Leagu Soccer is a joke I used to support it but now I'm done with this. What can you expect from mediocre college kids that don't have the skill and passion to compete at a disent level, but thats not there fault its the stupid MLS restrictions and bosses!

With respects,
One Less Fan

Posted by: erick | September 3, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Honestly think they (Revs) packed it up early (like they did in the USOC) because they were looking at schedule hell down the road if they advanced and they are looking at trying to win the MLS Cup for once. And the East is tight as ever so they are going to have to work to maintain a top seed overall.

DC, on the other hand, have gone hard at the Open Cup (so-so season so far) and hopefully they will do the same in the Champs League.

MLS teams will have to make these decisions until reserve and backup players can be of a higher caliber.

Posted by: LN Hunter | September 3, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Major Leagu Soccer is a joke I used to support it but now I'm done with this. What can you expect from mediocre college kids that don't have the skill and passion to compete at a DECENT level, but thats not there fault its the stupid MLS restrictions and bosses!

With respects,
One Less Fan

Posted by: erick | September 3, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

With respects,
One Less Fan

Posted by: erick | September 3, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

*waves goodbye to Anonymous*

...Now then, I may have a proposal that will help increase the depth of MLS clubs without significantly raising the salary cap or the number of international slots per club. My proposal would definitely benefit both MLS I/Os, the league itself, and the players' union.

My proposal is not as radical as 35 yard penalty shootouts either.

My question is: To whom do I send said proposal?

Posted by: B.A. | September 3, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

England division 3 bad.

Posted by: Kyle | September 3, 2008 8:41 AM

I'd put money on Leeds United beating Joe Public.

Posted by: Kev | September 3, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Remember what Garber said after DC lost in another international tourney? What's he saying now? This sure does take the heat off of DC. As a matter of fact, not only did DC lose by just one goal on aggregate, they did it at the very beginning of their season, while NE flubbed this tournament while in late season shape.

Re: schedule congestion, why in the world are there 8 teams in the MLS Cup? Reduce the league to one table, reduce the Cup to 4 teams and spread out the schedule a little more.

Posted by: Dan in FL | September 3, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Is there any incentive at this point in the season for these clubs to win these tournaments other than to win? I mean adding more games to an already overloaded schedule for a club who still hasn't won an MLS Cup, seems unnecessary. If they win the whole damn thing, they have to play more games right? At this stage its not worth it. Everyone needs to calm down, this isnt that big of a deal for the league. Somehow life will go on.

Posted by: JL | September 3, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

What gives with the virtual radio silence regarding the Open Cup Final? Shocked that WaPo dropped the coverage of this game...

Posted by: Goff | September 3, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

sadly, this doesn't actually reflect on MLS, all that much, this was about a team that went out there and didn't give a flying whatever about the game. the revs should refund the tickets of the 5k who actually showed since they had a reasonable expectation that the team would bother to make a showing of their own.

I watched bits and pieces at a bar with a brit I am introducing to RFK tonight and he just laughed at the Revs drawing 5k on a gorgeous evening. I sure hope we impress a bit more tonight.

any word on ticket sales?

Posted by: northzax | September 3, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Re: schedule congestion, why in the world are there 8 teams in the MLS Cup?

Posted by: Dan in FL | September 3, 2008 10:26 AM

Because the owners need to generate as much income as possible for their extremely fragile investments. I can't exactly argue against it, since it's their money going into the league.

It's also the reason why they play through international fixture dates, have a low salary cap, demolish seating areas for stages and clog the summer with as many matches as possible.

Posted by: Kev | September 3, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 3, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

While it does make sense, I'd take J's suggestion for spots 5-8 getting into Superliga and tweak it a bit.

Assuming MLS keeps the qualification standards the same, shouldn't the four teams ranked highest in the table NOT already in the CCL get entrance to Superliga? The Supporters Shield winner is the spot awarded based on table position. If an eighth-placed team wins the MLS Cup, then they have the same problem we do now. In this event, entirely hypothetical, I'd allow the highest ranked teams based on position in the table entrance to Superliga while giving the rights to the CCL to those teams which won a title.

Posted by: AJ | September 3, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

A little bit of history: In 1998, United dispatched Joe Public by an 8-0 aggregate. While the team has the coolest name of any club side anywhere, they're not world-beaters. Of course, T&T soccer has improved in the last decade -- but this is embarrassing.

In defense of the Revs, I guess one could point out that their team has one mission this year. It's totally understandable, given their string of near misses in the MLS Cup. Look at DCU -- we failed in the MLS playoffs in 2006, so the 2007 season was pointed at getting the players ready for the '07 MLS Cup. When we didn't get any trophies last year, the FO decided to seriously retool. If the Revs come up short again, I wonder how they will respond...

As for the Club World Cup -- it's nice, particularly as a way to sell your team to foreign talent, but it doesn't do much for the club back home. The fans back home don't buy thousands of tickets to the games, and they don't even watch it on TV. In any league, winning the league title means more to the teams' fans than winning the Club World Cup. Here, the difference is magnified, because there is no interest in the other leagues around the CONCACAF region, with the exception of the Mexican League. It will probably take a decade or more before there is any great interest in the Champions League, if that ever happens.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 3, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

ya know it's all about priorities. Stevie Nichol is smart - this tournament was obviously not a priority but the MLS cup is..pretty darn simple. It was only one game it aint gonna hurt MLS.

Joe Public rocks! :-)

Posted by: bobf | September 3, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I want to slam the Revs supporters, since so few showed up -- but if the Revs treated this as a reserve game, then I guess we should be using a different yardstick. More than 3,500 to see the Revs' reserves play? That's a huge crowd for a reserve game.

On the other hand, I'm surprised they couldn't get at least 5,000 Trinidadian ex-pats to turn up for the game. Maybe, they should've scheduled it for the holiday weekend...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 3, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

When you're missing your six best attacking players (Twellman, Cristman, Dube, Mansally, Nyassi and Ralston) due to injury and you're playing your 398th game in 3 months, something like this was bound to happen eventually. They looked like they had no energy... because they didn't.

Posted by: Brian | September 3, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Goff, maybe it's because you are out of town. They figure if you're not here, why bother?
I have to admit, that it takes some serious splainin' to Joe Public about what the Open Cup is and why it has any significance. Real hockey fans kind of understand the concept, but they still don't quite get it.
What do you expect from a nation of sports fan's that don't feel weird looking at pictures of a bare chested Clinton Portis?

It really only takes a few trips to Redskins Insider,Nat's Insider and the sports bog itself to understand why the post would drop this. Who cares! Let's go to the game!

Posted by: dadryan | September 3, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The Revs have been playing a game every three days since early June.

The Revs have played 31 competitive games already and have 10-14 games left.

By contrast, the Red Cows will play 31 competitive (well, I'm not sure how competitive they are) games all season.

The Revs could play almost 50 percent more games than NY but both teams will have the same salary cap and roster size.

Posted by: Brian | September 3, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dadryan | September 3, 2008 10:51 AM

Why would we want to explain the USOC to Joe Public? Joe Public don't need no stinkin' USOC. They're thrilled with the Champions' League win.

Posted by: Shecky | September 3, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's blasphemy, but the fact they are attempting to pit Man United v DC United is simply a recognition of quality and a flagship team.

BLASPHEMY!

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 3, 2008 10:36 AM

Posted by: delantero | September 3, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Dear Don Garber,

If the Revs happen to advance to MLS Cup or win the SS please make sure they do not participate in the tournaments they qualify for in order to prevent future embarassment to the league we love. Kraft obviously doesn't care so please, PLEASE let them stay home.

Thanks,
The Rest of MLS

Posted by: Beltwayrob | September 3, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

CONCACAF Champions League is going to be awfully insignificant come spring if MLS is already eliminated. I can't imagine that the sponsors or TV will be too happy, either. This is a nightmare scenario for a fledgling tournament.

Posted by: RK | September 3, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dadryan | September 3, 2008 10:51 AM

What are you going on about? The Post isn't dropping coverage of the USOC final. There's an article on page 3 today.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

New England you gots to live and learn:

Joe Public:

"I don’t wanna be the one
To tell you how it’s gotta be
Livin’ is the only way
You’re ever really gonna see"

Posted by: CD | September 3, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Brian - Your points are well taken, but the comparison isn't with other MLS teams' schedules, it's with Joe Public's schedule. Is fixture congestion a similar issue with them? I have no idea, but for the purposes of yesterday's game, the Rev's schedule vis a vis Joe Public's is what is relavent.

Posted by: JDO | September 3, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

The biggest priority should be the Champions League. DC needs to win tonight to qualify then work hard for the Champions League this year. If that means a reserve team for the MLS play-offs, so be it. Just my opinion.

Posted by: Harpo | September 3, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AJ | September 3, 2008 10:37 AM

This makes tremendous sense. Establish the CCL qualifiers (MLS Cup winner and runner-up, Supporters Shield winner, USOC winner), then take the next four highest in the table as SuperLiga qualifiers.

Posted by: BillyBob | September 3, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 11:03 AM

Nice half page in The Express today as well. The paper that people actually look at :-)

Posted by: Kev | September 3, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

The Insider software is blocking my earlier mention of Sc*nthorpe United. Which reminds me of an old joke.

Which 3 English football clubs have swear words in their names?

Sc*unthorpe, Arsenal and Manchester F*cking United

;-)

Posted by: Kev | September 3, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I rather enjoyed that a$$ whoopin
lulz were had by all

Posted by: Thora | September 3, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

The post has a story on page 3 -- what's the problem. Tomorrows paper will have the open cup game story by tenorio and I should have an edu story.

Posted by: Goff | September 3, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Hooray Joe Public! :D

Posted by: Srdan, La Barra Brava | September 3, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 3, 2008 8:35 AM
=============

Thank you for that endorsement. I knew you'd come around

Posted by: Joe Biden | September 3, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Is there any public information about MLS profits? I'd imagine the clubs are pulling in somewhere around 10 mil gross annually. That's not a whole lot, but with the salary cap being as small as it is, you'd like to think you could increase it by maybe as much as 25 percent without killing your net profits completely. That 25% could make a huge difference on rosters.

Posted by: Matte | September 3, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Kudos to Joe Public and Tauro, they took this competition very seriously and it showed. MLS should be embarrassed by New England and Baby Chivas.

The CCL actually means something, it's a FIFA qualifying event. The winner is crowned regional champion and goes to the Club World Cup.

SuperLiga on the other hand is pumped up pre-season Mexican league tour through a series of stadiums in the US that are 2/3 empty.

The previous CCC was deemed too early for MLS clubs since other teams were in mid-season form, while MLS teams were in their preseason. What's the excuse now? MLS' current poor showing is due to mid to late season form?

Maybe MLS needs to stop the ridiculous placements of the top four teams for SuperLiga (useless), CCL and the USOC. Or better yet, stop trying to sell SuperLiga like the Rio Grande version of ChampionsWorld Series and focus on "real" events: MLS Cup, CCL & USOC.

Posted by: Curtis Spiteri | September 3, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Goff - No problems with the WaPo's coverage at all. Just surprised WaPo's coverage has not been more extensive for a championship match (given the team's stated emphasis on hardware as the primary motivation for so many of the roster moves this past year) and surprised the WaPo's intrepid reporter is missing it in order to head-out 4 or 5 days ahead of an early round WC Qaulifer against a lowly ranked team that has seen most of it's star players defect over the past 2-3 years. US Open Cup final is the only bright spot thus far this season for a DCU squad that started the season with such high hopes.

Nevertheless, ANY and ALL coverage of DCU is always appreciated Goff. Just can't get enough.

Posted by: Mickey | September 3, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

The worst part about the Champions League is that we kill ourselves now, just to enter the same elmination round that we've played in the last several years.

It does offer up oportunities for other clubs though, which is good for the competition in the long run.

Posted by: TCompton | September 3, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO Joe!

Posted by: GI Joe | September 3, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

It is sort of hard to blame MLS and Don Garber for the Revs failure to use all of the salary cap and other options (DP) available to them to strenghten their side ...

I mean ... granted teams like DC and Houston still struggle in these competitions. But the Revs Flop that we just witnessed was at least 50% on them.

Furthermore ... teams like Bolton in the EPL play a much more crowded schedule (last season they played UEFA Cup, FA Cup, League Cup ... and league play) without a much deeper bench than solid MLS teams. I think that the crazy MLS travel is a bigger issue than simply roster size.

Posted by: Liverpool_SC | September 3, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

are there 2 Goffs? What the heck does the first Goff's post mean?

After checking out BTB, I found a link to the story on page 3!

total confusion.

Posted by: dadryan | September 3, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

my bad, ya'll wuz talkin' bout ' the radio hunh?
I need to lay off these bong hits...

Posted by: dadryan | September 3, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

The first "Goff" blog post was me - keyboard malfunction on my part where my typing got ahead of my proof-reading... sorry for the confusion.

Posted by: Mickey | September 3, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@Mickey

This may be Goffinho's only chance in his life to go to Cuba - there will be other cup finals. I don't disagree with any of the hype in that this is an historic match. I am fascinated to even see a game from Cuba.

Posted by: AM | September 3, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't lay off, just read slower. I wonder if the rev's stadium last night smelled like RFK at the harbor view game this year?

Posted by: dr | September 3, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

@AM

I hear ya' - I'd probably do the same thing out of self-interest. But frankly - the only historically significant outcome from the USMNT vs. Cuba match would be if the US lost and, honestly, I personally don't need to read an article about that after-the-fact.

DCU winning this Open Cup carries a lot more weight for DCU than a mere trophy and title. When it comes to re-tooling next off-season, DCU could offer players the opportunity for international competition - something Gallardo and Emilio openly confessed as attractions to DCU in the first place.

Although the appeal pales in comparison to the UCL transfer market in Europe, you can already see the CCL tournament working it's magic on possible CONCACAF transfer targets - just look at last night's performacne of Joe Public's Gregory Richardson and the post-game commentary: http://www.goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=846933

I don't want to overstate my case - but the CCL ticket that comes with the Open Cup trophy will make life easier for Kasper to gain mid-range international talent for DCU during the off-season.

Posted by: Mickey | September 3, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Liverpool_SC | September 3, 2008 12:19 PM

An interesting comparison with Bolton. Last season they played 51 matches over 9 months. It looks like United will be playing a whopping 49 matches in 7 months - not including playoffs! Wow - this fixture insanity is even worse than I thought. United could play 8 matches in October, Bolton did not have to do that in a single month last season.

Also, Bolton have a first team squad of about 24 professionals. That does not include fringe and youth team members that can be called in at anytime (without the restrictions that MLS imposes on such moves - not to mention quick emergency loans that can be secured without cutting another roster member). MLS has a strict roster cap of 28, correct - with 18 senior players?

Posted by: Kev | September 3, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

The only historically significant matter I'm concerned with at present would be a serious pay upgrade and a roster that is ready to compete better internationally and through injuries.

Keep your salary cap if you like MLS but it's time the ceiling went MUCH higher.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 3, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

So, where do I get a Joe Public jersey? :)

Posted by: La Barra Blonde | September 3, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Here's why there was more on the line for the Joe Public players:

Seems hat-trick scorer Gregory Richardson has attracted interest from the Crew already....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 3, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey Blondie,

Haven't found any jerseys online, but there's a supporters' ringer t-shirt online...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

i hear Barra Brava has something up their sleeves for tonights game.. anyone know anything about this? I have been told it wil be amazing!!

Posted by: mmmm... | September 3, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 3, 2008 8:35 AM
=============

Thank you for that endorsement. I knew you'd come around

Posted by: Joe Biden | September 3, 2008 11:45 AM
-------------
Nope, I haven't come THAT far around!

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 3, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matte | September 3, 2008 11:46 AM
...........................................

MLS and its franchises are not publicly traded, so I'm not sure where you'd get reliable information. However, I've never seen anything that suggests that the league as a whole is turning a profit at all, although selected franchises might be profitable. (Of course, figures on gross receipts, $10M or otherwise, don't say anything one way or the other about profitability.)

Posted by: The Jeff | September 3, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Barra Brava (above), I sat behind them (Sec 335) on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed watching them. I was surprised to see so much beer thrown into the air -- given its cost, it's like leaving your car idling in the driveway for two hours -- but hey, I stayed dry!

I don't think I'll put myself in the middle of the BB/SE mayhem anytime soon, but I will enjoy the spectacle from a (dry) distance. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 3, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I too was surprised by all the flying beer. For once, I spent the whole game on the other side -- maybe that's why United didn't win? -- but I saw a bunch of beers flying, even though United didn't score. Not to diss a good time, but doesn't that take away from the meaning of all the flying beers when United does score?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 3, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

anyone enjoyed scotch and gins and rum at rfk?

Posted by: td | September 3, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Joe Public sells replica jerseys on their website for a hundred bucks, there is no ordering information available, I assume you send them an email?

personally, while I am all in favor of supporting soccer in this hemisphere, I refuse to give Jack Warner a penny.

Posted by: northzax | September 3, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if that is 100 T&T or US bucks.

But don't give money to Jack.

Posted by: RK | September 3, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

None of the above.

I only regret all those sitters that JPFC missed in the first game. The bigger the rout the better.

Now I don't have to hear all the whinging about fixture congestion from Nicol & company.

As Kahno Smith said "It's a blessing in disguise". A blessing indeed.

Posted by: Tommie | September 3, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

You all are talking like Matt Reis did not have an injury. If you noticed he couldn't jump or move side to side. He looked injured to me. I don't like NE or him, but I think they played him hurt. He kept looking at the bench. If lookes could have killed Nichol would have been.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

@ The Jeff
@ Matte

I'm sure that the leauge and it's LLC allow the individual investors to recognize their losses every year. This they transfer over to their personal tax returns. That loss goes to help make sure that millionaires don't pay taxes.

Ask Mark Cuban or Dan Snyder or anyone else who owns a sports team - when the last time they paid taxes was? In this country, running at a recognized loss on your million dollar investments doesn't really hurt you.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 3, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AJ | September 3, 2008 10:37 AM

Posted by: BillyBob | September 3, 2008 11:20 AM

___________________________________________

Yes, this was exactly the concept I was trying to convey. The top four teams in the MLS table not otherwise already qualified for the CCC should play in the Superliga. That way, the Superliga becomes a pseudo UEFA Cup, a nice consolation prize for good teams that fell short of the top tier.

Posted by: J | September 3, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Didn't DC beat Joe Public FC 12-0 once?

Posted by: bob | September 3, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

^^^^
sorry, that should be 8-0.

Posted by: bob | September 3, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

If you sit behind the BB &SE you don't get to really see all the cool TIFO. But gosh darn the quiet side sure is quiet isn't it?...Wish I could afford the Mezz every game.

Does anyone know about any special shirts, or scarves marking this special event this evening?
And where are they serving hard liquor at RFK?

thanks!

Posted by: dadryan | September 3, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I think we all can agree that we want MLS to have very good teams and at some point and time be able to compete, or at least have a respectable showing, with the elite club teams in the world. Granted, this may take 20, 30, 40 or 100 years, but that is what every MLS fan wants.

In order for MLS and its club to achieve this, you have to win international tournaments. Sure CONCACAF has a ton of weak teams that cannot hold a candle to Real Madrid and Man U, but you have to start somewhere and that somewhere begins now with the CCL.

MLS has to let their top clubs compete in these international tournaments and they need their clubs to take them serious. What if MLS bans the Revs from future international play if they are gonna mail it in? Let clubs that want to improve and develop have the Revs spot next year. I think it is incredibly short-sided of the Revs and Revs' ownership not to take the CCL seriously.

Hypothetically, if the Revs were to win the CCL and play in the Club World Cup, it would make money, lots of money. If it were to be able to repeat this a few times, it would increase its fan base, sell more tickets, jerseys, etc. and make more money.

Any way you look at this, the Revs utter disregard for the CCL is a failure and it makes MLS, the US National team and American soccer look like crap. Everyone should be embarrassed, even die hard DCU fans.

Posted by: therealfootball | September 3, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Gillette didn't want Twellman to be Cup tied for the expected EPL move during the winter transfer window.

:-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 3, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

twellman in the epl...nah..maybe the conference..

Posted by: mizage | September 3, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Herculez Gomez traded to KC

Posted by: RK | September 3, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

And where are they serving hard liquor at RFK?

thanks!
=====
It is near the main gate where you enter your way coming from lot 8 side. If it continues. It was during Colorado game I saw with a very nice young lady. $8 a cup though

Posted by: td | September 3, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

16 games, 4 competitions, 8 injuries, 2 international call ups, in 9 weeks. This season went from good times to death march real fast. Two more games in the next week. Who is Nicol supposed to play. They are all gassed beyond recognition.

Posted by: jw | September 3, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"Is there any public information about MLS profits? make a huge difference on rosters. "

Posted by: Matte | September 3, 2008 11:46 AM

That public info is stored away in the same place they keep Saddam's weapons of mass destruction.

Posted by: garbaggio | September 3, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute -- Barra Brava with a big surprise tonight; then the posts turn to hard liquor . . . put these hints together -- is BB sponsoring Free Hooch Night?

Posted by: gringo | September 3, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I was going to skip commenting on this post, but I can't resist. Pet peeves and all.

Brian:

You'll have to excuse my complete lack of sympathy for the Revs and their many fixtures. Why? Well, DC United has played 32 competitive fixtures (22 MLS, 4 CCC, 3 Superliga, 3 USOC) up to this moment. Add in the USOC final, 8 more MLS league matches, and 6 CCL matches, and we have a minimum of 15 more games to play (up to 19 if we make the playoffs, which seems likely).

Also, your math was off. The Revs face 8-12 matches.

I've heard so much about the poor Revs and their non-stop fixture list, but nothing about DC or Houston, who have both played more games. The Revs were moaning about this before they sent their reserves out in the USOC semifinal; maybe they should have tanked the Superliga, MLS's least significant tournament, instead.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 3, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Just about 2 hours to gametime. Where's Tenorio with the lineups?!

Posted by: DCUMD | September 3, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't know whether anyone has yet posted a link to this Steinbog item:

Posted by: The Jeff | September 3, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United!
I'm on my way!

Posted by: dadryan | September 3, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

As a Revs fan, I love all the criticism about them "not caring" about outside tournaments, after they won SuperLiga. Especially after knocking off three Mexican teams along the way. Apparently, none of that matters anymore. I'm disappointed with the loss to Joe Public but I can understand with the injuries why NE didn't want to go nuts about this.

Posted by: Eric K | September 4, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse