DCU Roster Moves, Injury Updates

Lots of news.....

*DCU finalized loan deals today with Sierra Leone defender Ibrahim Koroma, 19, and South African forward Thabiso Khumalo, 27, and both are eligible for tomorrow night's match against Dallas at RFK.

*The club has also acquired on loan Greg Janicki, 24, a 6-foot-3 defender from USL2 Pittsburgh, and added him to the developmental roster. Jeff Carroll (foot) and Domenic Mediate (concussion) have been placed on the season-ending injury list and, unrelated to all the other moves, United plans to release one of the current developmental players.

"He's a rising young player," GM Dave Kasper said of Koroma. "The fact that he is a starting central defender for Sierra Leone is pretty intriguing. ... He is probably going to be a bit of a project. He is a young defender, this is his first club outside of Sierra Leone, but he has a lot of positive qualities, he has an outgoing personality and, who knows, you put him in a different environment and you see how far and how fast he can go."

Are you finished adding players before Monday's roster deadline?

"I would think so," Kasper said.

Any trade talks?

"No."

Coach Tom Soehn, on the roster moves: "We are looking at depth on the roster. It's going to take a while to get to know them and for them to get to know us. With the amount of games we have through this stretch run, it's important that we add some pieces that we think can help, but it will take time to evaluate that."

*Joe Vide (hamstring) is listed as being out tomorrow and Zach Wells (foot) is questionable. Fred (hamstring), Luciano Emilio (groin) and Gonzalo Peralta (hamstring) are probable. However, Peralta told me he is not ready to play tomorrow and hopes to be available for Tuesday's Champions League match against Saprissa. Fred said "I feel good, but will probably be on the bench" at the start of the Dallas game.

*Marcelo Gallardo has been sick all week, Soehn said, and also hampered by an ankle injury but should be ready to play.

*Uniform numbers: Khumalo 17, Janicki 16, Koroma to be determined.

By Steve Goff  |  September 12, 2008; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Let the Day Begin
Next: United Deals Finalized

Comments

"United plans to release one of the current developmental players"

Let the guessing begin...

Posted by: RK | September 12, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Interesting stuff. Thanks SG.

It's going to be intriguing to see how Soehn approaches these 2 games. We could be sitting outside the playoffs after this weekend with the wrong set of results, so the game against Dallas will probably see our best available team. However, I find it very hard to imagine us advancing in the CCL without a win on Tuesday (unless we can manage a borderline miraculous win either on Saprissa's turf or in Mexico City at altitude). Soehn has said MLS matches will be his first priority, but to what extent will the CCL lineups suffer? Will it be a mix of starters and reserves, or will we be seeing 90 minutes for Dane Murphy and the new players?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 12, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Interesting, but kind of a bummer.
17 was Dane Murphy's number...
Let me guess who's being released...
I know he hasn't done a whole heck of a lot, but he seemed like a cool kid.

Posted by: dadryan | September 12, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

RK:

My guess is Dane Murphy since a) he is the only player to have no appearances this season without injury and b) his number has just been given to Khumalo.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 12, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

This is fantastic.

The war of words between Roy Keane and Jack Warner has intensified with the FIFA vice-president making a personal attack on the Sunderland manager, after the Irishman had called him "a clown" amid the row over Keane's decision to withdraw Dwight Yorke from international duty.

Posted by: RK | September 12, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I guess this ticket stub signed by Dane Murphy isn't going to appreciate in value after all...
Sat next to him and his parents during the 0-0 Draw with RedBulls... I think that Sports Bog story involving the hair cuts was a curse. Stratford the cutter himself is gone, Wells is collecting dust, and now Murphy gets his jersey taken...
Dyachenko haters should start bugging Steinberg to set up an appointment.

Posted by: dadryan | September 12, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

wow...the injuries! I knew they were there, but it just looks so bad on paper! thanks for the insider info, goff. moreno is around for saturday, right?

Posted by: downtown | September 12, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Murphy was to be the goner - besides losing his uniform #, he did not even make the SJ trip when DCU opted to dress less than 7 subs than bring him. It would still leave them an open spot - correct?

Khumalo takes Mediate's spot

Koroma takes J Carroll's spot

Janicki takes Barlow's old spot (I do not recall it ever being filled) or Murphy's spot

Posted by: Oliver | September 12, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

1 South African
1 Sierra Leonian
1 Baltimorean, and
15 "other" Americans

UNITED, indeed.

Posted by: DCUInWheaton | September 12, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Not that diverse. The "Russian" actually is stateless, the "Bolivian" and "Honduran" (Moreno & Guerrero) have green cards as does, I believe, one of the "Liberians" (Doe). That makes 7 foreign players which conforms to league "rules."

As for all "Baltimoreans" there is a special passport check line at RFK. :-)

Posted by: griffin1108 | September 12, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

DCUInWheaton,

We really are another country in itself.

...I wonder if Tino will get called up for the next Baltimore National Team squad.

Posted by: B.A. | September 12, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate Warner being put in this place, but Keane was plain wrong in this situation. You can't refuse to release a player for international duty. Sunderland should be fined or docked points for that.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | September 12, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Any word on how Koroma was identified?

Picking out a young west african defender that's never played out of his league (or nat'l team) seems kinda random to me....

Posted by: PotomacBoater | September 12, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

U.S. agent Patrick McCabe has strong ties in Africa; he found him and shopped him around MLS.

Posted by: Goff | September 12, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Oliver:

Counting the impending Murphy waive, I also count 27 (18 senior roster, 9 developmental).

Potomacboater:

It could well be the Mamadou Diallo/Patrick McCabe connection that has been established recently. Initially, it led to LA's trial of a couple Gambians and another player from a country I can't remember.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 12, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Can the media do a better job of advertising the USA games on TV? You have to search for info on USA games. I mean they should be front page news when they have a qualifier, anywhere in the USA, especially a major market like Chicago. You mean to tell me that a Blanco-less Fire draws more than the USA on a clear night?

Can we put pressure on the media to emphasize the game here in DC against Cuba? My peers are avid USA fans and yet I have to constantly remind them on USA games on TV because there in no exposure!!!

Posted by: JLMan | September 12, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Pressure on the media? What media are you talking about?

It's the job of the USSF, not the media, to promote the game far in advance. My USA-TT game story was on the front page. The Chicago Tribune had 10 paragraphs on page 2.

The Post will write plenty in the days leading to the game at RFK, but with the NFL and college football in full swing and the baseball playoffs underway, don't expect much coverage on local TV news.

In the big picture, these are semifinal-round games against weak CONCACAF opponents -- not exactly appealing to casual fans.

Posted by: Goff | September 12, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | September 12, 2008 1:17 PM

Good point, except for that nasty little fact that Yorke has said repeatedly that he's retired from international competition. Not that a reluctant player ever stopped Warner.

Posted by: BillyBob | September 12, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

The new UVA pipleline is officially shut off - Barlow gone, Murphy gone.

Posted by: ACC Fan | September 12, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Dear Steve,

I would be interested in any info you have about Bobby Convey. I looked on Reading and he is not listed. Is he still with them? Is he still injured? I remember his first game with DC United. Please advise.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 12, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

So how big is Koroma, out of curiosity?

Posted by: Section 130 | September 12, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Status on Jaime for Saturday night?

Posted by: DirtyHarry | September 12, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

it is my opinion that Greg Janicki should petition the MLS to allow himself to be called simply Greg... I am glad I was able to see Greg play in the reserves match v. RBNY reserves..he is a diamond, albeit in the rough...but still a diamond...i am hopeful of some good things from this lad...

Posted by: myt! | September 12, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Big Mama, I was just wondering what he's doing these days. Is he part of some scouting/representation agency?

Posted by: Ben | September 12, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Section 130,

I asked Goff in the Q&A yesterday and he doesn't know how tall he is. I've looked around and haven't found any data either.

Posted by: United fury | September 12, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

what's the status on thabiso boyZZZ khumalo being naturalized by baltimore?

Posted by: diego r. | September 12, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

on a more serious note, I would like to see Santino play up top one of these games. He's been playing out of position most of the year in the slot that Benny O. was slated to fill.

Posted by: diego r. | September 12, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

@ United fury,

Thanks. Would help if I actually read all of the posts from top to bottom...

Posted by: Section 130 | September 12, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AJ | September 12, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

@VirginiaFan | September 12, 2008 2:06 PM

Convey started 3 soda-pop Championship matches and 1 beer Cup match for Reading. He was on the bench for two more matches (one from each of the above competitions).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 12, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I met Ibrahim today. He is tall and thin.

Posted by: Goff | September 12, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I was once tall and thin.

Dave Johnson is going to have a challening time with some of these new names. There's a verbal muscle cramp waiting to happen.

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 12, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Whether or not these new players including usl2 would make any difference but I certainly hope so. We are at critical juncture. Nevertheless, something to wonder for.

Posted by: td | September 12, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

what?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

DCUinWheaton joins a long history of "United" self-congratulation with the list of home countries.

But I suspect diversity is just a fact about MLS.

NY list:

Argentina
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Colombia
Gambia
Jamaica
Mexico
Netherlands
New Zealand
South Africa
USA
Venezuela

No Baltimoreans. Thank God.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 12, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"The new UVA pipleline is officially shut off - Barlow gone, Murphy gone."

Joe Vide!

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 12, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

The new UVA pipleline is officially shut off - Barlow gone, Murphy gone.

Posted by: ACC Fan | September 12, 2008 1:59 PM
---------------------

Good riddance. :)

Posted by: Goose | September 12, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I was once tall and thin.

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 12, 2008 2:44 PM

Don't forget the full head of hair part too!!!

Posted by: Henchlow | September 12, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Dude, that's cold. And true, regrettably.

Hey Steve, we still on for cigars at your house? You did bring some back, right?

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 12, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Virginia Fan said: "I looked on Reading and he is not listed. Is he still with them?"

You have to use the scroll buttons on their web site to see everyone. As someone already pointed out, he is still there. The Reading site lists the players by jersey number, Bobby is # 17.

Posted by: Sterling | September 12, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Dear Sterling,

They go to #16. There is no news. I tried all their buttons. If you get the right one, let me know how.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 12, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

The thing is Warner is right about keane turning his back on his country, I also see keane as an arrogant manager that thinks he need to show tougness all the time what is this high school. FIFA needs to supened Keane for not obeying the rules, its no like sunderland had a game or anything. other players when to play why should keane stop this guy.

Posted by: dc fan | September 12, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Mastodon Juan:

DCUInWheaton is not now, nor has he ever been, an employee of DC United.

This fact, alone, renders it impossible for DCUInWheaton to engage in self-congratulations when writing about DC United.

Yes, diversity in MLS is not limited to a single team or teams. In my opinion, this diversity should be celebrated WHEREVER it occurs.

Peace.

Posted by: DCUInWheaton | September 12, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Chicago, Columbus and New England are the only teams in MLS to win more than 2 games on the road this year.

"The human head weighs more than 8 pounds!"

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 12, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

DCUInWheaton thanks for that list...I was just trying to research Janicki to see if he was from Poland. I need a reason to break out my Red & White flag!

And with Johnsonville as a sponsor this is just plain wrong not to have any Poles on board.

Posted by: DCB23 | September 12, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

someone else asked but I didn't see an answer.

Is Jaime expected to start on Saturday?

He played into the 2nd half for Bolivia in their scoreless tie w Brazil on Wednesday night. Just wondering whether his age, airline miles, fatigue level and the upcoming congested schedule will get him a rest.

Posted by: garbaggio | September 12, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Why are people mistakenly blaming Keane?

Dwight Yorke has repeatedly said that he's retired from International Play. Warner wouldn't take no for an answer, so Keane told the criminal to Bugger off.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 12, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Both Warner and Keane are clawns.

Posted by: td | September 12, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I think Gallardo is entering the "bust" category...

Posted by: Sam | September 13, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse