DCU Update

United striker Luciano Emilio, who left Saturday's match against New York just before halftime with a groin injury, took part in full workouts today and should be available for tomorrow night's U.S. Open Cup final against Charleston at RFK Stadium. Midfielder Fred, who has been sidelined with a hamstring injury, also joined his teammates at training and is likely to play. Defender Gonzalo Peralta (hamstring) ran on the side and is not expected to play. Midfielder Domenic Mediate (concussion) is done for the season and might be placed on the season-ending injury list, which would open a senior roster slot. The club also has a developmental roster opening. The roster deadline is Sept. 15.

By Steve Goff  |  September 2, 2008; 3:16 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cuban Countdown
Next: What About Bob?

Comments

With Mediate opening up a senior spot, is it a done deal that they promote Joe Vide back to a senior spot?

Posted by: Dsmac | September 2, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see the team with Gallardo, Guerrero, Moreno, Emilio, Peralta and Martinez all healthy and rarin' to go.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | September 2, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Any word on Cup Final ticket sales so far?

Posted by: Kev | September 2, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update! Thought you'd be too busy getting into some Miami Vice to hook us up, but how wrong I was!
Vamos United!

Will there be any special t-shirts or scarves marking the occasion tomorrow night? Anyone know?

Posted by: dadryan | September 2, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I had a dream....

-----------Crayton----------
--Namoff-McTavish-Martinez--
------------Simms-----------
--------Fred-Gallardo-------
Quaranta-------------Guererro
---------Moreno-Emilio------

Posted by: Anthony The Great | September 2, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see everyone back! This should be a great game now!

Posted by: bob | September 2, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@ Anthony: Let's not get too crazy, we've got approximately 72 matches to play this month, including one on the road at a surging San Jose team.

Posted by: Section 130 | September 2, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Great news on Fred's speedy return!! Seems like just the other day he was out for 2-3 weeks.

Posted by: Greenbelt United | September 2, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo to start? "Signifigant minutes"?

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 2, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Not a big crowd expected. Maybe 12,000?

Posted by: Goff | September 2, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

12,000 isn't too bad for a non-regular season and non season ticket-holder mid-week match.

I know that DC United is hyping it up as much as their website and news paper ads can do, but it's still a tournament that is probably largely considered insignificant.

I tend to like the atmosphere a bit more for the Wednesday matches anyway. Even with the smaller crowds, it's usually a larger percentage of hardcore fans.

It's good to see the roster getting healthier. I hope that Moreno gets a rest for the first half. Especially if we can start Gallardo and Fred.

Posted by: TCompton | September 2, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Given the need to be prepared to play 120 minutes and use four subs, the stronger the bench, the better.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 2, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Vide deserves the Sr. roster spot by a mile, "Down goes Dyachencko...Down goes Dyachencko" if only we could hear Cosell utter that phrase.

Posted by: Henchlow | September 2, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

12,000 seems like a big turnout to me. That's what we drew for Atlante for a weeknight SuperLiga game which received lots of hype (not so much from Goff as from the Univision TV channels).

Posted by: garbaggio | September 2, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I say stick Burch back there with McTavish, make it a 4-4-2 and keep Fred on ice until halftime, if necessary.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | September 2, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I am travelling from hated New York (yes my moniker is misleadind but former-DCAustinite doesn't ahve quite the ring to it) for this game.

Posted by: DCAustinite | September 2, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm sold (somewhat) on Burch as a decent back in the center. He's done what's been asked of him. Playing it safe, one might stick Burch at left back and keep Martinez in at CLB.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | September 2, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

spike_2.0:

Martinez hasn't played as a center back since mid-May. It'll be McTavish and Burch in the middle tomorrow night.

Speaking of McTavish, I highly recommend everyone check out the most recent entry on Behind the Badge, featuring the comedy stylings of Namoff and Quaranta.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 2, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

A Burch-McT pairing in the middle makes me a bit anxious. Why not the NYRB solution of Namoff in the middle with McT, and Burch and Martinez outside. Martinez is totally two-footed, unlike Burch, and can cross with either foot, so he should be as much at home on the right as on the left.

Posted by: Hedbal | September 2, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

That post brought a tear to my eye.

Posted by: sitruc | September 2, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm going. My Eurosnob (Gooner) bro-in-law is in town on business. I'll try to tear him away. So that could be 12,003 with DCAustiniteNewYorker.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 2, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Goff for making my day. Sucks about Dom, but we all saw that coming I guess.

I'm with Chest on McTavish and Burch in the middle. I think moving Namoff into the middle was more of a tactical change to guard against Angel/Richards. Burch/McT should do just fine against the USLers.

As for the midfield, I don't know what the formation would look like, but it would be sweet to somehow have Gallardo, Guerrero, Simms, and Vide starting.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 2, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Martinez belongs in the center. Unfortunately both he and Tom Soehn don't seem to agree with me.

Posted by: garbaggio | September 2, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I like Martinez on the outside - but without Peralta I agree he is without a doubt one of our top 2 center backs.

School night be damned, I'm bringing the whole family tomorrow!

Posted by: ff | September 2, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Why not same ads on regular local tvs? like dead nbc dead cbs dead abc dead fox so the ordinary people can see it rather than showing on already kown people.

Posted by: td | September 2, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

New England - 0
Joe Public - 1
30th minute

Posted by: Spartan | September 2, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

is joe public really taking out the big spendin' yanks on plastic field??!

Posted by: mizage | September 2, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

hehehe.. 0-2..i hate new england!

Posted by: mizage | September 2, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

it's really really bad for the mls as much as i hate revs. this is outrages.

Posted by: td | September 2, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Are Joe Public really that better, or are NE just not trying??
It would a damn shame if MLS teams don't put any kind of effort into this tournament.

Posted by: Red Devil | September 2, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

2-0 Joe Public
both goals from Richardson #21
DC SHould give him a look

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Goal #3 for Joe Public
3-0
46th minute

Posted by: Spartan | September 2, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

It's embarrassing for MLS, but I can't help but laugh. XD

Posted by: Red Devil | September 2, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Matt reis looking pretty dumb on that third goal.

I hate the revs.

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 2, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

it's not that ne are trying but that they just suck in quality in general. aggregate 5-1

Posted by: td | September 2, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Hahahaha
Away goal rule in effect so ne needs 5 to advance.

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 2, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I just walked in and turned of FSC. My thoughts after watching 3 minutes:

Do away goals count quintuple, sextuple?

Should we add NEngland-Joe Public to Brazil-Ghana for fixed matches?

Are the Joe Public fans complaining that this tournament is a distraction from the Trinidad league?

Plastic field is not an advantage when your opponents have one as well.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 2, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit- I fixed this match.

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 2, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

goal
jp 4
ne 0
hat trick for richardson.
dc should consider snatching him.. if they couldve.

Posted by: Spartan | September 2, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Four past reis!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahah

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 2, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Next time DC plays New ENgland, we should wear red.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 2, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

... and Richardson masks.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 2, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I bet Ben Olsen and the player's union are behind this.
They've already divvied up all the trophies during a late night, underground poker match... Third round of rock scissors paper begins next week.

Posted by: dadryan | September 2, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Ref should add 5 minutes just to make it unbearable.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 2, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Either Joe Public are a pretty decent side after all, or the Revs aren't particularly interested in broader international success. You got to live and learn, I guess...

I just hope against hope that the Goats can find some way to put the kibosh on Tauro.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 2, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Bye Heaps.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

So with that red, Heaps will have to miss the next... never mind.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 2, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Chest: agree on Burch in the center. If he can get solid at that spot, he can go far. He's got size, is not slow, and has good aggressive tendencies. Center backs are hard to come by, especially Yanks. Just keep fingers crossed that he doesn't have a hiccup.

Have to give my favorite whipping boy, Soehn, some credit for the evolution of Burch. He should make a fine assistant coach somewhere.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | September 2, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Jay heaps......class act

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 2, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

is there possibly a live feed of the next game?

Posted by: dadryan | September 2, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Tauro-chivas is on fsc.

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 2, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Chivas down to 10...

Posted by: sitruc | September 2, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious for New England.
Good plan saving something for the congested schedule when they wussed out of the USOC also.
Where is that Reis for MVP talk now, I wonder? Oh how I hate that guy!!!!!
This is great !!!!