Football and Futbol in Big D

There was no way, I suppose, for MLS to avoid it.

On Sunday, around the same time that D.C. United faces FC Dallas at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Tex., the longtime NFL adversaries from the respective cities will clash 26.8 miles south at Texas Stadium in Irving. The MLS game has been on the schedule since last winter and is locked into a national TV slot on Telefutura. The NFL schedule was unveiled in mid-April.

While I can't imagine there are many folks in Dallas who have both Cowboys and FCD season tickets, the bigger issue is the number of casual futbol fans who will stay home to watch the football game between the 3-0 Cowboys and 2-1 Redskins on Fox. The MLS kickoff is 2 p.m. Central time, the NFL kickoff 75 minutes later. (The midday heat in Texas -- the forecast says 91 degrees and sunny -- won't help FCD's ticket-selling causes either.)

Dallas, the futbol team, is averaging 13,494 spectators, second to last among MLS's 14 teams and ahead of only Kansas City, which is playing all but one home game at a 10,000-seat minor league baseball park.

How do you think The Team Formerly Known as the Burn will draw on Sunday? And if you happen to be both a DCU and Redskins supporter, how do you plan to follow the second half of the futbol match and the first quarter of the football game?

By Steve Goff  |  September 25, 2008; 12:11 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: 24 Teams for Euro Championship

Comments

As a DCU and a Cowboys supporter I'll DVR them both but will stay with the United game so long as they seem to show any signs of life.

Posted by: Publius | September 25, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

We all know FCD won't draw much.

But I think as a community, soccer fans need to quit worrying about what is happening in other sports. We aren't the NFL and we won't be any time soon. But we shouldn't worry about clashing schedules and such. Soccer for soccer fans and football for footbal fans is just fine.

Hopefully as MLS grows, overlaps won't even be an issue. But we have a long way to go to build that kind of base anywhere, not just in Dallas.

Posted by: scott47a | September 25, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

United first and foremost. Then I'll switch the channel to watch the Cowpukes go down again.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | September 25, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins have 3 hours to disappoint me. I'll let United let me down and almost officially allow everyone to put a nail in the coffin of 2008 (gosh - we won a trophy this year - and it seems like a bad year).

Saturday - UVA will lose to Duke
Sunday - The Football teams will lose and disappoint me.

C'mon the Arse - beat HULL CITY!

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 25, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

For those so inclined, it is easy to watch a futbol game and a football game at the same time. The typical football play lasts only four seconds or less, and then there is all the milling around, digging and scratching, shots of coaches looking concerned from the sidelines, players shuffling on and off the field, players looking concerned from the sidelines, huddles, lining up, cheerleader shots, several minutes of important commercial breaks, etc. between plays. With a trusty remote you can flip over and watch a lot of futbol before the next time a football team finally gets around to thrillingly ramming it up the gut for 1.5 yards on 3rd and 14.

Another option is to DVR the fooball game while you watch to futbol game uninterrupted. When you are reaady to watch the recorded football game, if you fast forward through everything but the actual time the ball is in play, you can watch an entire 3.5 hour football game in 20 minutes or less.

Posted by: Ron | September 25, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Not a Redskins supporter, so this won't affect my viewing habit.

Honestly, I doubt this will really eat into FCD's attendance. We're not talking about Cowboys' season ticket holders. There might be a few that go to both games, but that many. The only bite will be at the corporate ticket level. The rest of FCD's crew will go to the game, and put the Cowboys game on the car radio as they line up to leave their suburban soccer palace.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 25, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

United of course, is always first.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Which team has more criminals on their roster, the Cowboys or FC Dallas?

Posted by: HateDallas | September 25, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Watch United live, DVR the 'Skins and be caught up to live by half time.

Posted by: Big Roy | September 25, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I hate when this happens because I'm lame and don't have DVR. I'll be flipping back and forth like Ron outlined - sigh.

Go United!
Hail to the Redskins!

Posted by: mmok | September 25, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

As an FCD season ticket holder, I'm expecting a low attendance. FCD moved to Frisco to take advantage of the casual suburban fan. While these fans don't have Cowboys tickets (Iriving is a god-awful distance just like Frisco), they do watch the games on TV. Especially home games against the Redskins. I'll be overjoyed if we break 8k.

Posted by: KirkBhoy | September 25, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

ive been a huge mls fan since day one but i would instaskip the game to watch the cowboys

Posted by: metrostarsfan | September 25, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Hate Dallas, historically that liitle accolade would go to the Cowboys. There was a time you couldn't open a newspaper without reading another Cowboy going to jail or getting busted for drugs and hookers. The fact that criminal Michael Irvin got into the HOF before Art Monk is just that...criminal. It got so bad they hired Johnny Cochran as their defensive co-ordinator. Now they just have Tank Johnson and Pac Man Jones who's a bail bondsman dream come true.

The only thing criminal about FC Dallas is the way they play soccer.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | September 25, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Dallas at 14k is the lowest (excluding KC)?

That's fantastic!

Now if didn't look like 4k every game, that would help.

Posted by: RK | September 25, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

The important NFL game is on Monday Night.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | September 25, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

FYI Chris Agorsor, UVA's splendid 1st-year who was looking at Europe, busted his knee :(

Posted by: RK | September 25, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for clearing that up Harry. I love the Soccer Insider, you learn all kinds of neat things here.

Posted by: HateDallas | September 25, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

MNF? Not with Chuck coming back!

Posted by: RK | September 25, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

As both a 'Skins and DCU fan, I plan on watching DCU till the 'Skins come on.

After having to watch DCU play the past few weeks (once in person at HDC), I'd prefer not to give myself a heart attack. Atleast right now the 'Skins have a record over .500 and no one really expects them to win down in Big-D.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | September 25, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Remember when picture-in-picture was going to solve all our problems. Then we had to get set-top boxes that effectively disabled p-i-p.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 25, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I can't remember the last time a college coach was fired mid-season, VBB, but if Duke wins, Groh better be gone ASAP.

Posted by: RK | September 25, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

It got so bad they hired Johnny Cochran as their defensive co-ordinator.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | September 25, 2008 12:48 PM
=================

That's good.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 25, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Johnny Cochrane, defensive co-ordinator? Hee hee.....priceless

Posted by: Killer | September 25, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Thank Jesus for giving us TIVO/DVR! I'll watch the whole futbol game, and skip the commercials on the football.

Posted by: Steve | September 25, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

RK, I could be wrong, but Groh just got a contract extension last year, didn't he?

Posted by: Ron | September 25, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Dallas is the frnachise that worries me most. Supposedly they are making a profit at PHP, but it seems to be the most weakly supported of all teams, except maybe the Rapids.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | September 25, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Ron, yes, through 2011.

Posted by: RK | September 25, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Watch United live, DVR the 'Skins and be caught up to live by half time.

Posted by: Big Roy | September 25, 2008 12:40 PM
----------------------------------------
That's thinking. IMHO, using a dvr and starting an hour late is the only way to watch helmetball games.

Posted by: Exile in Los Angeles | September 25, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@RK: In any case, UVA will not lose to Duke. Groh will not go anywhere this year.

@CACuzcatlan: Dallas support is horrible. That 13k figure has to be tickets distributed and not fannies in seats. Other than the Beckham game I seriously wonder if Dallas has gotten 10k or more people out to games all year.

Posted by: Ron | September 25, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

It's throw ball/helmet tight ass ball game not football.

Posted by: wait | September 25, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

It's throw ball/helmet tight ass ball game not football.

Posted by: wait | September 25, 2008 1:34 PM

You're kidding right?

Posted by: The Joker | September 25, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I've got the added issues of coaching twice on Sunday at 4 and 5:15. I think I'm DVR it all and catch up afterwards.

Posted by: John | September 25, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I plan to watch 'em both, either at Summer's or Kitty O'Shea's.

Posted by: Juan-John | September 25, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Juan-John's got the right idea.
I'll watch United till it's over if I'm at home, and then flip it to the Skins game.
Got get me one of them dvr thangamajangies...

HEY STEVE: You a Skins fan or what?

Posted by: dadryan | September 25, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I'll watch all of DC United's game before switching over to the Skins. United has a better chance of winning than the Redskins do but that's based more on the respective Dallas opponents.

Posted by: garbaggio | September 25, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

bad luck for Agorsor, he was on a tear.

oops, that wasn't god...

Posted by: northzax | September 25, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Brazil is in mourning after former Vasco de Gama player Thiago da Silva was brutally tortured and murdered, allegedly by hired assassins on the orders of his ex-girlfriend.

Da Silva, 25, who had been playing for second-division team Estacio de Sa Soccer Club, died in a Rio de Janeiro hospital Wednesday night, six days after being mortally shot in an attack by three men on a soccer field.

Posted by: RK | September 25, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RK | September 25, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Heat? Man, I'm loving the temperature. After this long, miserable summer, lower 90's is just beautiful.

Posted by: Eric | September 25, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RK | September 25, 2008 2:09 PM

WOW! talk about revenge of the ex, what a psycho

Posted by: Thora | September 25, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Is there anyway we could see Sohen fired before the end of the season?

Posted by: on the plank | September 25, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

More important question is how many DCU fans are gonna get out to RFK for the Cruz Azul match...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 2:28 PM

------------------------------------------
Simple truth is that "Gringo" DC Fans don't come out to games they play against international teams. Chivas game was one example during the SuperLiga, if there were any DC Fans they were hispanic. Last week vs Saprissa only 6,000 fans showed up...4,500 were Costa Ricans!

Posted by: RE: | September 25, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

It's only a conflict for Brad Sham, FCD's TV play-by-play guy who works for the Pointy-ball Cowboys on radio.

Heck, they might get more people in Frisco if they showed the Cowboys game on the jumbrotron while the futbol game is going on.

Posted by: AM | September 25, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RE: | September 25, 2008 2:36 PM

Um, I'm a "gringo" and when I had my DCU season tickets I was there for all international matches.

Nice try at broad generalizations though.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | September 25, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

MNF? Not with Chuck coming back!

Posted by: RK | September 25, 2008 12:54 PM

Spot on, RK!

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 25, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I'll likely flip between the 2 games. Luckily I have Telefutura as part of my basic cable package down here in Durham (also known as North Puebla)

I was going to be up in DC this weekend for a rugby match Saturday at Rosecroft Raceway, but known of that financial bailout package is heading my way.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 25, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

re:

Is there anyway we could see Sohen fired before the end of the season?

Posted by: on the plank
-----------------------

No, there isn't.

Posted by: Ron | September 25, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RE: | September 25, 2008 2:36 PM

Nice try at broad generalizations though.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | September 25, 2008 2:52 PM

----------------------------

I agree with the first poster DC fans were without a doubt outnumbered at that game. That whole night was one embarassing purple mess.

Posted by: MN | September 25, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I think the lack of a designated away areas for international matches makes some a little hesitant to attend. Also, the $30 a pop or $90-120 investment for the Champions League has left many on the - I'll wait til next year mode.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 25, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

you can put me on the list of season ticket holders of both the skins and united, and the futbol atmosphere blows away throw ball. Yeah its 90K vs 20K in the stands, but we're a much more cohesive group of fans (not to mention a much more friendly spectator sport, what commercial breaks?). If this were my dilemma instead of big D's, i would have scalped those 'boys tickets for all their worth and had a much better time at RFK, and make a little money in the process.

Posted by: DudeAbides | September 25, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why this is in "Truth and Rumors" as the Express is one of the two major daily newspapers in T&T, but here you go.

Barbados-born coach Keith Griffith and Guyanese striker Gregory Richardson will leave Trinidad and Tobago professional club Joe Public next season. Regarding Richardson, Griffith announced that Major League Soccer clubs Columbus Crew, New England Revolution and San Jose Earthquakes all wanted to sign the fleet-footed Guyanese, following his terrific showing over two legs in the CONCACAF Champions League against the Revolution, including scoring a hat trick in Public's 4-0 victory, in the away leg in Boston earlier this month.

Trinidad & Tobago Express

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 25, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Of course I'm not going to the Champions league game. Even if DC United was doing good I wouldn't go. The mexican team fans are going to outnumber us in the stands (except for the Screaming Eagles and Barra Brava) and they are very passionate about soccer so they tend to take things over the top especially anyone wearing DC gear.

Posted by: white guy from Rockville | September 25, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

the CCL has been a great commercial for Richardson. he had better sign for more than the MLS minimum. He looks like he has the potential to be the same quality as a healthy Maikel Galindo.

Posted by: yankiboy | September 25, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"Simple truth is that "Gringo" DC Fans don't come out to games they play against international teams. Chivas game was one example during the SuperLiga, if there were any DC Fans they were hispanic."

Ahem . . . I have rights to the "gringo" handle hereabouts, and I was at the Chivas game. I did miss Saprissa, though. Got to look after me wife and kids sometimes.

By the way I picked "gringo" before I knew its connotations with DCU. It was my hash-running name. Which reminds me of a story . . .

Posted by: gringo | September 25, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I did miss Saprissa, though. Got to look after me wife and kids sometimes.

Posted by: gringo | September 25, 2008 3:48 PM
-------------------------------------------
What?!?! Using your family responsibilities as an excuse for missing a DC United game. You are obviously not "HARDCORE". You are a baaaaad supporter. Hell, you aren't even a true fan [insert rolled eyes to go with the sarcasm].

And FYI, since we are claiming intellectual usage rights: I got "yankiboy", "yanki" an all related spelling variations related to on lockdown here. :D

Posted by: yankiboy | September 25, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

For me: DCU > Caps > redskins (I don't care about anything else), so I will watch the entire united game while checking the score of the skins game.

Posted by: GoUnited | September 25, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I'll do as I always do for the NFL: TiVo the whole Redskins game and then later watch it in less than 30 minutes.

I am a recent convert to the beautiful game. Ever since, NFL games have become agonizingly slow. As one SI football columnist writes, NFL games have become three hours of commercials with bits of football interspersed. I'll take a live high school football game over the NFL any day of the week.

Posted by: Dan in FL | September 25, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

The Philadelphia police bomb squad detonated three suspicious packages outside Citizens Bank Park last evening that actually were hot dogs accidentally left behind after a Hatfield commercial shoot that involved the Phillie Phanatic and his hot-dog launcher.

Police received a call at 4:13 p.m. about the three packages found on a light post near the first-base gate on Pattison Avenue near Darien Street. Once the bomb squad arrived, Pattison Avenue was closed to traffic and pedestrians, and game-day employees evacuated the building. Phillies employees whose offices were near the activity moved to the other side of the ballpark but were not evacuated.

The bomb squad detonated the packages. The Phillies said the hot dogs were heavily wrapped in white packaging and duct tape so they could be fired from the Phanatic's hot-dog launcher.

Posted by: RK | September 25, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

I'm not one who usually does this but something caught my attention and I had to share. Did you see the HBO Real Sports piece on 6-year old child slaves working 15 hour days in India making soccer balls that are then sold in the US for my child to use. Extremely troubling! Worth a watch, blog and a Washington Post story.

Posted by: QPR fan | September 25, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

With a dual-input tuner/DVR (thanks Dish Network), a viewer can view the FC Dallas/DC United match in full, and then speed through any of the missed NFL action, given that an NFL game can be viewed in about 40-45 minutes of action if one knows how to accurately skip ahead with the 30-second jump button on the remote.

Posted by: Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!! | September 25, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Dan in FL has the right idea. An NFL game takes 3 1/2 hours to play, a soccer game 2.
FCD & DCU will be done by 4, 45 minutes into the NFL game, which means you'll only miss the 1st quarter of the Cowboys and Skins.

Posted by: Bill | September 25, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

The issue with CCL (or SuperLiga attendace) at RFK for the home team is not the opposition, but it's the night of the week. Local (home-team) fans much prefer the Saturday option to the Tues-Wed midweek option.

For the visiting teams, it is an opportunity (a rare one) for their fans to see this special game. DCU fans have numerous (about 18-22) chances to see "their" team at home, so missing one CCL match or whatever isn't that important to them. But for the fans of Chivas or Saprissa, that is "the game" at RFK.

Posted by: Ticket buying | September 25, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Kinda like how Phillies or Cubs fans can appear to "outnumber" Nationals fans for games played in the Nationals' home ballpark.

Posted by: not just United | September 25, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

NFL??

zzzzzzzz

Posted by: ff | September 25, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I will say this though. Few years ago me and my brother (we had season tickets to both 'Skins and DCU) were at the 'Skins/Boys home game but left at half-time to make it to RFK for the start of DCU's playoff game.

Can't remember when this was, maybe in '05.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | September 25, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 25, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

RE: New English women's league

Bring 'em on.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 25, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, saw that -- 2010. There are plenty of other women's leagues that are going to cause problems, anyway.

Posted by: RK | September 25, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

__________

Would that be the baby Jesus or the adult Jesus?

Posted by: Hacksaw | September 25, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

If you read the article closely, it is clear that the so-called "super league" is still just a semipro league. In any event, the only noteworthy players that I can think of are Kelly Smith (already in Boston's sights), the Scottish expat Julie Fleeting, and the American expat Lorrie Fair. Are there others? (An interesting tidbit: Smith and Fleeting are now MBEs.)

Posted by: The Jeff | September 25, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the "gringos" don't show up for every international game because there are so many fixutures and they have "jobs" to go to in the morning.

Posted by: Racist jerk | September 25, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

__________

Would that be the baby Jesus or the adult Jesus?

Posted by: Hacksaw | September 25, 2008 5:41 PM
..........................................

It could be Jesus from Nicaragua who works at the electronics store down the street.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 25, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Friday and Sunday are usually the biggest days of the week for college action, for both men and women. For some reason, this week there are more women's games than usual for a Thursday. I've been following a few via the CSTV gametracker. WVU (nationally ranked) was held to a scoreless draw by St. John's earlier today. Right now Virginia-Florida State, Virginia Tech-Miami, Maryland-Wake Forest, and North Carolina-Clemson are all in progress.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 25, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I'd probably miss my own mother's funeral before missing the Skins and Cowpukes. I'll catch United on mlslive when the archive is up Monday.

Posted by: Nick | September 25, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

MAYBE its no gringos but fair weather fans who really only think winning hardware is important. These int games have alot more than just a chance to play for a cup, most games have braggin rights, to show which team is better. thats why its more frustrating to lose these games. ITS THE PRIDE THAT MOST FAir weather fans don't have, Like I was telling my son the other day some people have thay competetiveness and some people don't, some people bleed each lose and some people laugh it off. Its the passion that makes this game so diffrent than most other sports. Its the total package that attracts me to it. Maybe one day the fair weather fans will not only be at RFK to drink some beer and hang out with friends, but also expect there team to fight for every victory, just like each passionate fan would. Its these types of fans that influence our players to say "who cares if we lose, our fans will cheer for us no matter what" There is no pressure on these players or the coach to perform, I am sure in our countries half of these players would get torched for showing commitment to win, and the coach would be out of here by now.

Posted by: WHAT RACE | September 25, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I have no room for any other sports besides United and what comes on GolTV and Fox Soccer Channel with quality quality games.

Posted by: sukumola | September 25, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

The "Gringos" don't show up to any soccer games. They think a game for girls and furriners. They would prefer to watch a sport with 'merikun ath-a-letes, like baseball. :-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 25, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

The very notion of having other competitions running concurrently with domestic league play is absent from virtually all other American team sports, so most fans who weren't born abroad or haven't lived abroad simply don't know what to make of these events. Being one of those people, I remember United's march to the 1996 MLS Cup in vivid detail. United won the USOC the same year, but I remember very little about that tournament, and I definitely didn't attend any USOC matches, not even the final. (I'd like to think I've become more sophisticated about such things in the intervening 12 years.)

Posted by: The Jeff | September 25, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Prices are high for the CCL but the opportunity to see other regional professional teams both Mexican and other than Mexican (OTM)is worth the price. The different style of play, skill level of players, footspeed etc. makes it worth it. Too bad our "futbol" culture - even in a well supported MLS city doesn't yet appreciate that. Lots of Catrachos showed up in San Pedro Sula last night. They sure get it.

Posted by: sbg | September 25, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

@sbg: that is a very good point. I'll admit I had to look up Catrachos... I'd say I learned something.

Posted by: dadryan | September 25, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

7,568 announced crowd

Don't have a dog in the hunt for throwball so I'll be watching DCU all 90 mins.

Posted by: someone | September 25, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

DCU all the way. Limited comercials.

Posted by: The Jim | September 26, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

I'll be watching United. I may turn over at halftime and let my girlfriend see the Deadskins score. She will enjoy the concept of rooting against two Dallas teams at once :-) Why wouldn't P-in-P work, is the football game not on network TV?

Signed,
A "gringo" who goes to all of United's games at RFK, even against Mexican teams I couldn't care less about. But being a gringo, I'll be there to watch a soccer game, not a futbol game.

Posted by: Lonnie | September 26, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Fire Tom Soehn. The way that we are playing is completely unacceptable. I am contemplating canceling my season tickets.

Posted by: Season Ticket Holder | September 26, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Go ahead season ticket holder, cancel your tickets. And when they start winning again you can buy them back until they start losing again when you can cancel them which of course you can buy back when they start winning again right up until the time they start losing again when you can cancel them with the hope they'll start winning again. Don't let the door hit ya....

Posted by: Get A Grip | September 26, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

The important NFL game is on Monday Night.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | September 25, 2008 12:51 PM

Steelers will crush those losers from Baltimore. Hopefully Ray Lewis has a life-ending injury on the first play.

Posted by: Matthai | September 26, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: not just United | September 25, 2008 5:00 PM

Appearances aren't always deceiving, they do outnumber Nats fans.

Posted by: Matthai | September 26, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Tivo solves many problems, but have a pity for the NASCAR fan. I've got to figure out which of three events to record on the upstairs TV and fight the rest of the family for time to watch. DCU in real time, though - the priority is easy.

Posted by: stuck in 200 | September 26, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse