Freedom Allocations Are Set

Insider loyalists were the first to learn today that Abby Wambach, the U.S. women's national team's premier player, will play for the Washington Freedom in the new pro league that kicks off next spring.

We can now tell you that the Freedom's other two allocations from the national team player pool are veteran central defender Cat Whitehill and outside defender Ali Krieger, a Dumfries, Va., native who played club ball with the Freedom before winning three titles this year with Frankfurt. Krieger, 24, was an Olympic team alternate.

Whitehill, 26, was born in Richmond and grew up in Birmingham before starring at North Carolina. Her father played football at Virginia Tech. Like Wambach, she missed the Olympics because of a serious injury (knee). She has 129 caps and played in two World Cups.

To follow the complete allocation announcements Tuesday afternoon, use this link.

By Steve Goff  |  September 15, 2008; 10:15 PM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Night Moves
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

A bit surprised Whitehill is going to Washington. I thought she would go to Los Angeles considering her husband works in L.A.

Speaking of which Steve, do you know who Los Angeles' three allocations are?

Posted by: Ivan | September 15, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

My guess is Mitts and Boxx are going to L.A., but I don't know for sure.

Posted by: Goff | September 15, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Yay for Birmingham!

Posted by: Colm | September 15, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Yay, my two fave USWNT players on the Freedom. :)

Posted by: asfoolasiam | September 16, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

ZZZZZzzzzzzzz.....

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Natasha Kai?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Good! I don't want Wambach or Whitehill anywhere near L.A. after how they treated Solo in China for WWC.

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | September 16, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see AlecW81's "woman" problems on this blog. (You can catch more of Alec's insecurities on bigsoccer) The ladies not treating you right Alec? Not feeling very manly these days? Loser. Take your negativity elsewhere.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 7:16 AM | Report abuse

But the Zzzzzz's are totally appropriate when dealing with potential stadium issues right?

Any time, effort, or money wasted on the WPS, are also lost-opportunities for MLS.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Or gained opportunities for the sport worldwide.

Posted by: B.A. | September 16, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Freedom won't be the same without Mia Hamm, but having Abby Wambach is definitely the next best thing.

Posted by: PB | September 16, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

*Cool for the local girls to have Krieger, a former WAGs player, on the Freedom. Maybe the Freedom will get some others as well.

*@ Hippo -- dude, you are a serious one-note Johnny. Please give it a rest. They treated Solo badly, try and put it behind you as she has. Or maybe you should follow Wambach around the WPS with a sandwich board or something.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 16, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

I second that. Women's Professional Socc...ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Ameobi | September 16, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Mens soccZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Posted by: Joe SixPack | September 16, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

St. Louis is starting to look pretty interesting. Let's see what Brazilians they end up with.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 16, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I also fail to see how being critical of women's soccer means I'm insecure, or have "lady-problems".

Reality is quite the contrary, I enjoy watching my girlfriend play Rugby, but playing and watching D1/Super-League Men's Rugby is more entertaining for me.

I'm also highly critical of Baseball, NASCAR, the WNBA, and Boxing.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

PS -- The new turf field in Rockville is open. Lots of markings, not just football and soccer. But very big (wide), no track so stands are close, and it looks to seat about as many as the SoccerPlex stadium, at least before the SP expansion.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 16, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Whitehill's husband is in med school at UNC right now.

Posted by: Reggie | September 16, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Agree with the ZzzzZzzzs...

Posted by: Anon | September 16, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Nice colors/logo for StL...

Posted by: RK | September 16, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

no kai in dc? wasted sports bog potential right there.

Posted by: stairs | September 16, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Can we just agree that if you're not interested in a topic you won't clutter it with posts specifically about how you don't care?

In other online discussion groups that would get you banned. I think the Post is quite generous in this regard.

Some of us are in fact interested in all aspects of this sport, whether played by men or women.

Some posters might care to remember that one of the whole points of the Internet is you can pick and choose your areas of interest.

So, posting in an area that you don't care about, just to say you don't care...what? Really? People still do that online?

If you don't care about women's soccer, just leave it alone.

Posted by: Amy Wajda | September 16, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

so how long will this league last? one and done is my guess.

Posted by: mizage | September 16, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Laughing out Loud JoeSixpack!
Did you catch the Birds and The Boys on the Toob last night?
I was surprised that everyone on the Broadcast was thrilled about all the scoring, yet no one criticized the TOTAL LACK of Defense until the Eagles tried to make their last drive.

Ohhh wait, this is a thread about the Freedom's allocations...
Ahhh, screw it Bocci Ball and Horshoes are such a bore.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

RE: WUSA and WPS. What many of you don't realize is that sports leagues start, make mistakes, and fail. Then others start, make different mistakes, and fail. You think the NFL, NBA, and MLB were successful from day one? Think again. They were either built on the remains of failed sports leagues or survived the errors of their competitors. But that was so long ago (i.e. pre-internet) that you don't know the history. MLS has built on the failures of American soccer leagues. But if MLS investors suffer large financial losses outside of soccer, don't expect them to keep throwing money at DPs and stadiums.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 16, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

The WUSA at the time was technically much better quality soccer than the MLS, hands down, because it had the best players in the world and little of the diving, hacking and whining that plague the men's game. So AlecW81 you are full of crap and ignorant to boot.

I'm happy to say the MLS has improved greatly since then and usually provides some enjoyable games and some young talent who are fun to watch. The WPS may suffer from having to compete for international players with leagues in Europe, but will survive and provide good quality soccer for a growing cadre of young fans. You just have to watch the college game to know what kind of players we have here.

The troglodytes who want to just criticize with no purpose should stay off the blog and out of the WPS stands, else they might actually be forced to admit how wrong they are.

Posted by: aging gk | September 16, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

@270 -- wait . . . whuuut? . . . you mean money doesn't grow on trees? omg omg omg

Posted by: OWNTF | September 16, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm willing to pledge my allegiance to whatever team Natasha Kai plays for.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 16, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm curious just because Ali Krieger was allocated to the Freedom will she actually return from Frankfurt to play here? Not sure I would.

Posted by: jva | September 16, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Cat Whitehill is chunky style but should be adequate for the new league. I don't see her back on the WNT except as a sub.

Posted by: Eugene | September 16, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

This is unwelcome news regardless of your political beliefs. Sundhage reportedly snubs Bush. Mr. Goff, is it true?

Posted by: OWNTF | September 16, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Oh my god what an outrage!
This is worse than Hope's lashing out at the Genius that is Greg Ryan!
She should not have her contract renewed!;-)

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

good for her.

Posted by: ddf | September 16, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

If I only cared about watching a league with "The best players in the World" I wouldn't watch MLS, would I?

The fact is, the best Women in the World in Soccer are comparable to the better High School Players here.

As the old joke goes: "Women's Soccer is just like Men's Soccer... if it were played underwater."

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow! The depth of your ignorance is reaching new heights! All closed-minded, uninformed people around the world salute you!

Posted by: idiots of the world unite! | September 16, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Too bad we don't have a smaller SSS for DCU & Freedom to share.

I do not understand the knee-jerk reaction so many men have to womens' soccer. I've lived in a number of places where girls were expected to do nothing more than cook-clean-bring up the kids. We are an amazing place the USA and I think it is inspiring to see the young girls who go out an support the USWNT. I watched them trounce Canada here at RFK and the way those kids in the stands looked up to the women on the pitch was amazing.

Posted by: DCB23 | September 16, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I applaud Sundhage. I wish more athletes and coaches would do the same. Actually, for me it has nothing to do with whether you agree with the policies of any given incumbent. Rather, it is simply the fact that these politicians had nothing to do with the athletes' accomplishments, so why should the athletes permit themselves to be exploited for free publicity?

I suppose that some of them feel honored; it that is how they feel, fine. Still, this whole business has the whiff of monarchy or theocracy about it. As a citizen of a free society, if I were a world-class athlete, I would not feel especially honored. In fact, I'd no more care what the president thought of me than what any person picked at random from the phone book thought of me.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 16, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm willing to pledge my allegiance to whatever team Natasha Kai plays for.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 16, 2008 9:59 AM
..........................................

I guess you're going to be our Mastodon Juan, as of a few minutes ago.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 16, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Now it's time to make a list of who got left out: Scurry, for starters.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 16, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, being critical of Women's Professional Soccer is sooooo ignorant :rolleyes:

You can call it sexist, chauvinist, small-minded, etc, but ignorant is incorrect. The usage of "ignorant" in this instance reminds me of the South Park episode with Michael Jackson and Blanket.

"Stop being ignorant. You're so ignorant..."

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Whitehill's husband was last in residency in L.A.'s San Fernando Valley

AlexW81 has made his point. He has every right to feel as he does. Many of us feel differently. Let's move on.

Posted by: Troy | September 16, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Whitehill's husband was last in residency in L.A.'s San Fernando Valley

Posted by: Troy | September 16, 2008 3:36 PM
===============

The DC area would be a good place for him if he specialized in trauma medicine, allergy, or plastic surgery (maybe it's the last one, since he trained in the LA area). I guess we could alwayse use a few more generalists too, since I can never get an appointment within the next four months.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 16, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse