Gallardo Out at Least 2 Weeks

DCU designated player Marcelo Gallardo ($1.9 million, 14 appearances) will be sidelined at least two weeks because of continuing problems after sports hernia surgery. He has returned to Argentina to see a specialist and begin a rehab stint, but is not scheduled to have additional surgery.

Since June 29, Gallardo has played just 95 minutes in league play and 10 minutes in the U.S. Open Cup.

A two-week layoff means missing four games: vs. Saprissa tomorrow at RFK, at Los Angeles, at Marathon and at Dallas.

[UPDATED]

More bad news: Left wing Ivan Guerrero has a quadriceps contusion (that's why he left Saturday's game) and is questionable for tomorrow's match. He worked out on the side this morning.

Defender Gonzalo Peralta, recovering from a hamstring injury, is also listed as questionable.

By Steve Goff  |  September 15, 2008; 11:03 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Good, the Bad, the Coyote Ugly
Next: Soehn Speaks

Comments

"Returned to Argentina to see a specialist"

Better specialist than the surgeon in Germany or ANY facility in the United States? Sounds like Lothar Matthaus rehabbing on the beaches of France....

Maybe the same "specialist" can opine about Ben Olsen's ankles?

Posted by: DWE4 | September 15, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

you have got to be kidding me!
again!
do we have an argentine John O'Brien?

Posted by: rob | September 15, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Not a good investment so far by United. Sure, injuries are part of the game, but that's the risk you take by spending so much money on one player.

Posted by: $135,000 per appearance | September 15, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I am beginning to get concerned about Gallardo's long term plans. I wonder if he will be in a DCU uniform next year.

Posted by: strago | September 15, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"returned to Argentina to see a specialist"

The only specialists are in Argentina? Not the German surgeon who performed the procedure or ANY medical facility in the United States? Sounds like Lothar Matthaus "rehabbing" on the beaches of south France.

Perhaps these same "specialists" in Argentina can examine Ben Olsen's ankles?

Posted by: DWE4 | September 15, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if he will be in a DCU uniform next year.
------------------

From what I've been told, he has a guaranteed contract next year.

Posted by: Goff | September 15, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Bring back C.Gomez!

Posted by: Chicken Little | September 15, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"DCU designated player Marcelo Gallardo ($1.9 million, 14 appearances)"

-------

Dadryan, thoughts???

Posted by: N. Daknow | September 15, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Alright enough with old players...Lets invest in some young talent from Central America. Lots of quality players that can be great here in DC.

Posted by: dcchilidog | September 15, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Without Gallardo, DCU has very little chance of advancing in the CCC and will be lucky to make the MLS Cup Playoffs. He will be vital in breaking down bunkered in defenses, which undoubtedly DCU will face during their home matches.

Gallardo has the ability to be an impressive player with DCU, but he can't stay on the field. If he is not on the field, it does not matter what his abilities are.

Posted by: therealfootball | September 15, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if he will be in a DCU uniform next year.
------------------

From what I've been told, he has a guaranteed contract next year.

Posted by: Goff | September 15, 2008 11:21 AM

Posted by: J | September 15, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

you know what news like this reminds me of?
The Revs a month ago. Enjoy the hectic schedule ahead , there's no way you come out of this with a healthy team.

Posted by: AndrewK | September 15, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Is he the worst DP signing in MLS?

I would love to see his and Jaime's salaries reversed, although I think even Moreno’s salary would be too much for him.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 15, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Dagger. Bad to worse. Tough season.

Posted by: Matte | September 15, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I don't think you could count him as the worst DP, since he has shown he can actually play (Denilson to the white courtesy phone).

I can't hold someone's health and injuries against them. No doubt it is extremely frustrating...

Posted by: JkR | September 15, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Besides making comments about trading for Christian Gomez before the roster deadline, or questioning the loyalty and professionalism of Marcelo Gallardo, or delcaring a joke and asking for the heads of Payne, Kasper, Simpson, Soehn, Cooks, Wells, P. Carroll, J. Carroll, Simms, Fred, Emilio, Dyachenko, Murphy, Thorpe, Khumalo, Kevin Ara, Franco Niell, Steve Goff (:p), Paul Tenorio, Salvatore, Francisco Tobar, Brian Goodstein, and WFED's RFK equipment crew, or complaining that MLS doesn't allocate enough senior roster spots or doesn't raise the cap enough to allow for marginal domestic talent to provide depth for MLS rosters, or even that we've been unlucky this year, even though we've had an exceptionally long schedule of in-club training and competition...

...I forgot what I was going to say. I don't think I can analyze this season or the Gallardo situation without information from the club, his doctors, or Gallardo himself.

I'll go with what Chest Rockwell says.

Posted by: B.A. | September 15, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Chicken Little - Free El Gomito! Would that be "¡El Gomito libre!"?

Posted by: EdTheRed | September 15, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"From what I've been told, he has a guaranteed contract next year."

Claudio Gallardo? Marcelo Reyna?

"Steve, does that mean that if Gallardo does not return for whatever reason, the DCU ownership is still on the hook for his salary, but it will NOT count against his salary cap?"

If Reyna is the precedent, Gallardo would have to entirely retire from the sport, but be paid his entire salary. A mere buyout won't work.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 15, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

By the way, RBNY was on the hook for Reyna's entire $400k cap hit, despite retiring in mid-season. So to be fair, then answer for Gallardo would be "no."

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 15, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@N. Daknow: My thoughts at this point are, yeah that's a lot of money for a guy who hasn't played very much. After seeing him get subbed in at the Open Cup final, I was sure he was going to be back. I guess all the smoke and mirrors about his ankle and "sickness" were bs... I try to think positive thoughts for all these guys and their injuries, sometimes it just takes a lot longer than others. Look at Olsen, christ look at Mediate. It's unfortunate that the club could have wasted so much money on someone, but they couldn't have known he was going to get injured like this.

Jaime "Iron Man" Moreno is who I'm looking for to bring the club any glory we can muster this season.

Posted by: dadryan | September 15, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

"but they couldn't have known he was going to get injured like this."

Oh yeah? Gallardo hasn't had a healthy season since 2004. Your loving Mastodon predicted this outcome when he was signed by DCU.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 15, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Dont you wish you just gave me the money instead of exciling me in Colorado. Lets work something out. You know I will give my all once I pull on that Black and Red again.

Posted by: C. Gomez | September 15, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Gallardo would also have to play some streetball, with Steve Nash and Thierry Henry to be a reach Reyna's swindle level.
Heal up Vide, Heal Up Guerrero, we really need ya! I hope Boyzz can get himself a little more fitness... Him and Guerrero have been nice editions and we could us both of them.

Posted by: dadryan | September 15, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Not surprised but not jumping on the bandwagon of he wasn't the best signing ever. Perhaps we should see if Del Piero wants to switch from Juve to DC?

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 15, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Gomez cannot play well w/o my motiviation and toughness...that much is certain.

Posted by: P. Nowak | September 15, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Del Piero would be sweet.
Gomez didn't want to play for DCU.
Gallardo injured for this long still probably doesn't hurt the club as much as having Benny gone this long, not to mention the waste of time and money drawing up plans for Poplar Point appear to be.
If Gallardo isn't healthy enough to help us now, I just hope we get him back before the season is over.

Posted by: dadryan | September 15, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Probably won't happen, but at this point I would like to see Soehn run out our youngest and least experienced players for the CCC (pretty much all we have available anyway...) and preserve our best lineups for the remaining league games.

I don't think we've got any chance at winning the CCC, and even a decent showing does nothing for us (or the league) in terms of international reputation. On the other hand, MLS cup is a long shot but at least there's a chance. Trying to succeed at both will simply assure that we fail at both since we clearly don't have the roster for it right now, so I would try to succeed at the more possible one.

Posted by: GDopplerXT | September 15, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

AHAHAHAHAHAHA! SOEHN DOES IT AGAIN! SERIOUSLY LIGHTEN UP ON TRAINING! DUH!

Posted by: Dave | September 15, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

When will Koroma receive his transfer clearance?

Posted by: Charisma_Man | September 15, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Forget about all these tournaments guys, we should only focus on the MLS cup.

As long as our salary cap is peanuts then we nor any other MLS team has a prayer to make real noise in international tournaments. Too much congestion, too little depth.

Posted by: Thora | September 15, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me that the whole DP situation in MLS is shaky.

When the David Beckham rule was introduced, it was custom tailored for David
Beckham. And in his case it worked. I see 4 reasons to pay those humongous (by
the MLS standards) money for a DP

1. Increase visibility of the league and soccer in America

2. Sell the merchandize, tickets and otherwise make money outside the
field

3. Watch DP to perform well and increase enjoyment from the game by their
quality on-the-field performance.

4. Help the team to advance further.

This season David Beckham fulfills first 3 requirements for sure, and its not
his fault that LA can't be helped with 2 of the best players in the league
(including Landon, of course).

In case of Gallardo: he was well known high quality player, but not in the
popularity level of David Beckham of course (not that many in that level, I
know, but he is not even close). I have no idea if he helped to sell any shirts
for DCU (Goff, is there any info?). He is billed as master-strategist and many
said that the team originally played on the level lower than he does and
squandered his brilliance. I am only half-sarcastic here, its very much may be
the fact. And finally, it is unfair to blame a player for injuries, so I won't.
What I blame is DP situation when one player sucks up all the money and the team
could not afford to get more quality players.

Bottom line: from my list above, the numbers 3 and 4 are of course a must,
but DP can be justified, really, only if numbers 1 and 2 work - in case of their
injuries. Note that David Beckham was injured last year and did not played much
and still did well for the league.

Posted by: Tolik | September 15, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

We must have hired Columbus's trainer from a few years ago. Fire the training staff!!!

Posted by: BK | September 15, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

THE DP RULE IS GREAT! IT'S THE PEOPLE BEHIND SELECTING A DP THAT DON'T DO THEIR DUE DILIGENCE AND SCREW UP. THE DP RULE IS A GREAT LEARNING TOOL FOR MLS FRONT OFFICES, SO THAT WHEN MLS OPENS THE FLOODGATES FOR THE SALARY CAP SOMEDAY, MLS TEAMS ALREADY HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE ON HOW TO NOT SCREW UP.

Posted by: Dave | September 15, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

re:

you know what news like this reminds me of?

Posted by: AndrewK | September 15, 2008 11:38 AM
--------------------------

Especially since we are not going into it with a healthy team.

Our season is done. We *might* make the playoffs, but what does it matter we'll essentially be one and done.

Posted by: Ron | September 15, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"but they couldn't have known he was going to get injured like this."

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 15, 2008 11:58 AM
------------------------------------------

Argh! He did say it, I remember. The curse of MJ...

Posted by: edgeonyou | September 15, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

If the guy is hurt what do you want him to do? Becks had a poor first season (ok half season) playing through injury, but once he got healty we all see what he can do. Was this hernia problem missed at his fitness tests when he was signed? Did he get injured here (playing on all of these wonderful atificial surfaces)? We don't know the facts. It sucks, yes, but the reality is the dude is hurt and I get the feeling that if it wasn't for his price tag we wouldn't be this heated. But alas, a $1.9 milllion dollar injured guy hurts just like an injured developmental player. Who knew?

Posted by: Kosh | September 15, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dadryan | September 15, 2008 11:56 AM

-------

For as much as we differ in opinion, I just want to tell you that I have a lot of respect for you and your posts.

Posted by: N. Daknow | September 15, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I winced watching Guerrero crash into the boards after making what should have been the game-winning cross. I tore up my right knee making a similar play (didn't need any boards, since my momentum was enough to create the requisite unnatural stresses, thanks to the brace protecting my right ankle). At least Ivan's teammates were there to finish. When I did it, everyone else had given up on the play, thinking the ball was going to be out of bounds. Best cross of my life, and no one was ready to knock it in...all I got to show for it is surgical scars and bad arthritis. Ivan got an assist.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 15, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kosh | September 15, 2008 1:12 PM

If you are going to spend that much on a player though, you want to have a guy that will play in at least half the games played in the season.

Personally I think United could do better by using Gallardo's money to give a few people pay raises and to get a young guy with lots of room to develop.(aka Eliseo Q, Carlos Mejia.)

How would you like to take 1.9 million dollars out of your pocket and give it to a guy who plays in only 16 or 17 out of 30 games.

Posted by: United fury | September 15, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see Quintanilla back on the field... but how much is he worth now?

Posted by: Chicken Little | September 15, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I agree with not investing too much in the Champions League. If DC can get healthy and squeak into the MLS playoffs at the same time, DC could get somewhere. There's even a decent chance DC would play in the West playoff bracket.

Jaime has come up big, but Gallardo's their only chance. I don't doubt that he wants to play -- he showed a lot of desire in the few minutes of run he's had lately.

And while he and the other starters are limping around, most of the role players are making strides. Think of where McTavish, Simms, Burch, and Quaranta are compared to last year or even earlier this year.

So stop crying. The team has a lot of fight left.

Posted by: est. 1996 | September 15, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

so glad we won the USOC, besides that, this season has been a bust, and unless some people start recovering, and fast, the season is over, forget CCL or even MLS Playoffs

Posted by: Pedro | September 15, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if he's going to recover, might as well do that in his home country. Lots of players do that.

Posted by: christiannn | September 15, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse