Gallardo Update

As you know, DCU designated player Marcelo Gallardo is not with the club in Honduras for tomorrow night's Champions League match against Marathon. He's not in Washington either, instead choosing to rehab his adductor strain in his native Argentina.

The latest on his situation from DCU Prez Kevin Payne:

"We've been keeping in touch with him through our people and his agent down there. He is working four or five hours a day. He has several different rehab sessions every day. This is what he has done in the past and he believes in this approach. He's feeling better."

Payne said the club is hopeful Gallardo will return to the States on Sunday and perhaps play a portion of the Cruz Azul game next week.

Okay, enough Gallardo talk. But let's stick with a Latin theme and absorb the sounds of John Coltrane from his "Ole" album:

By Steve Goff  |  September 23, 2008; 12:07 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stadium? Did You Say 'Stadium'?
Next: Freedom of Information

Comments

Having Gallardo (along with Moreno, Peralta and Vide) back for a final push for the playoffs would be very good, indeed. Here's hoping...

Posted by: schmuckatelli | September 23, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

As long as this is actually the case, this is good news. I remain a little puzzled as to what this special routine is that can't be replicated here (perhaps it's a mind over matter sort of thing). That said, if it gets Gallardo back on the field and ready to contribute, I really don't care what it is. As brave as Quaranta has been filling in for Gallardo, we need his skill going forward and his ability to slow the game down so our defenders aren't exposed so often.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 23, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

from the throwball world. Jeremy Shockey is having sports hernia surgery this week. they expect him to be miss 3-6 weeks. if he is back in that time frame, maybe gallardo should go see Shockey's doc.

Posted by: steve-o | September 23, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Coltrane? Goff, you ARE cool!! I've got to get my settings fixed. Every time I catch a non YouTube video, I've got to reset my Quicktime settings, uninstall/reinstall Flash Player and reboot my computer to play YouTube. If anyone knows a way to prevent that from happening, I'd really appreciate the help.

As for Gallardo, I guess this confirms that he's had this injury before? I have to say that I don't find that encouraging.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 23, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with Chest here. I don't get it re: Gallardo's need to rehab elsewhere. But, whatever, as long as he's healthy and recharged and ready to contribute. Maybe Olsen should head down to Argentina for some of this rehab.

Posted by: downtown | September 23, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

It can't be replicated here. There's no bife de asado here.

Posted by: Duh | September 23, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"...Writers treat me like Coltran, insane..."

Ok. So clearly I am not the only person here who is confused by the need of Gallardo to rehab six or seven thousand miles away from the club that is paying him more than twice the combined salary of all of about 70% of the roster.

Call me a pessimist but I am getting flashbacks of Jaime's shaman type back treatment circa '03 or so.

Sending players off for a surgery, ok. Some dotors have the rep, the experience.

Sending a guy of for rehab, for ongoing treatment--not such a a hot idea. A club needs to be able to consult and supervise the treatment. Otherwise, you are rolling the dice, hoping that it is being done in a way that the club would approve of.

Seriously, why can't we just fly the rehab specialist here and put them up in the downtown hotel that we use for visiting clubs and trialists?

I don't get it, either.

Posted by: yankiboy | September 23, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

BIG WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!!!
The club's standard procedure of building champions through signing quality unknowns was thrown out the window for nothing...the sting of missing out on Veron caused the front office to sign "somebody" as a DP, forget hindsight, it was mentioned at the time that they would have been much better off going a different direction, but its cool because we can cut him and sign Anelka......umm I'm kidding there

Posted by: Piney O | September 23, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Duh may be on to something. I know I feel better after a glorious steak. Maybe not more athletic, but certainly better.

The more I think about it, the more I hope Gallardo's rehab regimen is some combination of bizarre ritual and old-timey exercise. Stuff that makes Rocky having to chase a chicken or drinking a raw egg seem reasonable.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 23, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Powerball runs tommorow, after I win the grand prize.

DC united will be mine. MUHAHAHAHAHA!

good point yankiboy
but you know us. We will take any opportunity to go back to the homelands. Come on man!
Gallardo is prolly drinking his pain away! lol
thats his rehab session in the AM!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 23, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

We will take any opportunity to go back to the homelands. Come on man!
Gallardo is prolly drinking his pain away! lol
thats his rehab session in the AM!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 23, 2008 1:22 PM
-------------------------------------------
Yep. That is what I am worried about...

I don't want him coming back all out of shape because he was back visiting all of his peoples in the Muthaland and what not.

Shoot. It's hard to turn down good food and free booze...

Posted by: yankiboy | September 23, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo....Zzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Skeptical | September 23, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Must be the Argentine beef...

But as long as he gets enough protein and is healthy towards the end of the MLS season...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Today is Coltrane's birthday, born 9/23/1926.

But Goff knew that when he posted this youtube.

Posted by: bdr | September 23, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Goff, do you know the status of Joe Vide? Is he close to coming back?

Posted by: kris | September 23, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I think its safe the say that Gallardo was a bust. Its time to cut ties with him and go out and get a sexier DP. Or a DP that can actually go a few weeks producing on the field.

Posted by: dcu in iraq | September 23, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Don't you think that having family, friends and doctors that he knows work better at rehabbing an operation?? Wouldn't any of you, want family and friends to support and help you to get better from an operation?? Or, this the wild, wild west way of thinking---just wrapup the injury and gut it out!!! Muy Macho!! Give me a break!!

Posted by: Leo | September 23, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcu in iraq | September 23, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

it's not at all uncommon for rehab to take place away from the team, athletes do it all the time. and if Gallardo isn't professional enough to train and heal away from the team, then that's a good thing to learn as well. He's not 18, if he can't do his job away from adult supervision, then really he's never going to make it back. Some players work well alone, some don't. Get him away, and there is no pressure to play him at 80%, when another week would get him to 95%.

Posted by: northzax | September 23, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Do any of you haters remember that run of games leading up to and including the first Galaxy game? And that was without Guerrero on the wing.

Posted by: RealityBites | September 23, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Leo,

Relax. We're not talking about surgery recoup necessarily, but as Goff says above, recovery from an adductor strain. Now, I totally understand wanting to be in familiar surroundings and all, but it's not like we're talking months here - just two weeks! And it's not like we're talking about a young pup like Adu on his first overseas team. I just don't know what two weeks in Argentina could do for an adductor strain versus what two weeks with top notch docs and trainers here could do. Anyway, I'm not trying to knock the guy - though maybe I am - I'm happy he's getting better and I can't wait to watch him live again. It just seems like a strange situation to me, and I think most other people here.

But the team - I hope - knows what was best, so I defer to them in their decision making. It just strikes me as a bit odd.

Posted by: downtown | September 23, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

What I worry about is Gallardo rehabbing with Ronaldo.

Posted by: Mysterian | September 23, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

What I worry about is Gallardo rehabbing with Ronaldo.

Posted by: Mysterian | September 23, 2008 3:16 PM
.........................................

Or with Maradona.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 23, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Leo | September 23, 2008 2:23 PM
-------------------------------------------
Leo, take it easy, Bro.

No. It's the "it's only Tuesday and I really don't feel like finishing the report that my boss needs Gee wonder what Gallardo is doing right now has gotta be better than this we have a blog were gonna use it" thinking. Nothing macho about it. Call it envy. Call it "living vicariously through a star" thinking. Call it escapism. or just call a soccer blog. We all wish him the best and a speedy recovery so that he can do what he does best: Play.

Posted by: yankiboy | September 23, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Imbecilic Haters: Gallardo's contract is GUARANTEED for next year.

There is no "cutting ties" with him and signing someone new.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 23, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo's contract is only GUARANTEED if he honors the terms. He's a good player but I suspect he's pulling Djorkaeff to force his way out of the contract and return to Argentina.

Posted by: creige | September 24, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Working four - five hours a day? On his tan? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Get well soon, Marcelo. We need you for the stretch run.

Posted by: Ron | September 24, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse