Greetings From La Habana

Just wanted to say hi.

Or Hola.

The 45-seat turbo-prop, operated by American Airlines, got us here from Miami in about at hour -- a 60-minute flight but a world away. The plane was two-thirds full and included bible teachers, families with Cuban roots and three morally suspect soccer journalists (me, Michael Lewis of the NY Daily News and Josh Robinson of the NY Times). Other U.S. media is already here or on the way.

On the road from Marti airport to the center of town, billboards celebrating Cuban defiance of imperialist America, billboards depicting Bush as a terrorist, billboards of Che Guevara as a friend of the nation yada yada yada. The classic American cars you've read about? They are everywhere. But not every vehicle is a '58 Chevy; lot of new vehicles as well.

My hotel is the famed Hotel Nacional along the Malecon seaside promenade. Do a search for the website; it's a classic place that has hosted Sinatra, Churchill, Hemingway, etc. Palatial on the outside, stately in the common areas, Holiday Inn-esque in the rooms.

The U.S. team is scheduled to arrive late afternoon on Thursday. I hear the charter company has leased the Miami Heat's executive-style jet to get the lads here.

Adios!

By Steve Goff  |  September 3, 2008; 4:56 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dark Day for MLS
Next: Matchday: U.S. Open Cup Final - Battery at United

Comments

. . that has hosted Sinatra, Churchill, Hemingway . . . . Goff

Enjoy a Cuba libre (con Fidel) for me ..

Posted by: delantero | September 3, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

yes, but do you have FSC?

Posted by: JSF | September 3, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

love the ongoing USMNT coverage....and it's got to be the priority right now, but any news on this evening's state-side match at Estadio RFK?

Fred? Emilio? Olsen?????

Posted by: the other RK | September 3, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

yes, but do you have FSC?

Posted by: JSF | September 3, 2008 5:24 PM
=============

If "FSC" stands for Fidel Siempre Canal, then si.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 3, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I gather than everyone on that flight had the Treasury seal of approval. Let us know whether you meet Yanks at your hotel or elsewhere who do not.

If you can't get FSC, will you be listening to Limarzi on your 'puter?

Posted by: The Jeff | September 3, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Don't let Fidel hold your trillion dollar bill.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 3, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Don't let Fidel hold your trillion dollar bill.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 3, 2008 5:54 PM

----------

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA.

Thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | September 3, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Que viva la revoluciĆ³n!

(The real one that is, not the New England one).

Posted by: ML | September 3, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

The Hotel Nacional was the site of a real-life meeting between the heads of the mob that was fictionalized in Godfather, Pt. 2.

So when do we get to hear, "I knew it was you, Lewis. You broke my heart."

Posted by: Dave Lifton | September 3, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Where is de Kenny Cooper? Your coach is idiot...just like de Mr. Bush!

Bring Kenny Cooper to Havana otherwise I summon Russia to bring back the missiles.

Posted by: Fidel Castro | September 3, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

C'mon boys!

Posted by: YanksMarching | September 3, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Are these posts being vetted by el Partido Comunista de Cuba? :)

(I should go look at Granma just for the heck of it)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 3, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I read your blog very consistently and that's why I feel that I can make a slight correction... if you use 'La' then you should write 'Havana' because otherwise it looks uneducated and from my experiences here as a regular reader, I know this is not the case.

Posted by: mexicanbluefish | September 3, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Fidel es una puta, Fidel es una puta...!

Posted by: Cuba Libre Verdadera | September 4, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Y chinga ese asesino Guevera tambien!

Posted by: Cuba Libre Verdadera | September 4, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

"On the road from Marti airport to the center of town, billboards celebrating Cuban defiance of imperialist America, billboards depicting Bush as a terrorist, billboards of Che Guevara as a friend of the nation yada yada yada. "

Wow. Sounds like the Democrats have made major media buys down there...

Posted by: Ron | September 4, 2008 7:04 AM | Report abuse

I think it's clear that Goff has the best job in the world.

Posted by: Amanda | September 4, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I think you should do an in-depth investigation on the resorts in Varadero where the European women sunbathe topless. With photos, of course.

There might be some anti-American activity going on there and you have to investigate thoroughly.

Posted by: Pictures or it didn't happen | September 4, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse