Local Holiday Kickaround

*D.C. United's reserves bounced back from an early-week loss to New York with a 2-1 victory over the Red Bulls, thanks to rookie midfielder Ryan Cordeiro's two goals. Midfielder Quavas Kirk suffered a mid-foot sprain and will not be available for Wednesday's U.S. Open Cup final against Charleston at RFK Stadium.

*After coming from behind in the closing stages to beat UCLA on Friday, the Maryland Terrapins allowed a late goal and lost to California, 1-0.

*George Washington crushed Howard, 8-0, and George Mason defeated American, 1-0, in overtime on the second day of the D.C. College Cup. The Colonials won the title on goal difference.

*Virginia dropped a pair of games at its season-opening tournament, falling to St. John's and Southern Methodist.

*Virginia Tech, rebuilding after the departure of most of its top players from the final four squad, earned a tie and a victory at the Portland tournament.

*Georgetown improved to 2-0 by beating Cal State Northridge.

By Steve Goff  |  September 1, 2008; 10:33 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Good, the Bad, the Coyote Ugly
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

All the local Georges won. Neat

Random thought while at Starbucks: Cappuccinho would be a good Brazilian soccer name.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 1, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Man City bought by an Abu Dhabi company!

Posted by: The Jim | September 1, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Goffer,

Do you think you could include William and Mary soccer programs in your blog coverage? Are your hands tied on coverage based on what the Post covers? You have a solid W&M fan base down here (as many of us are from No. VA area) plus we have a very impressive mens team this year and a nationally ranked womens program!

Just a thought.

Posted by: Personal Plea | September 1, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

My hands are not tied, but to be honest, I don't have time to keep track of, and link to, every regional team (W&M, JMU, UR, ODU, UMBC, Towson, etc.). If you have something interesting to share on any of those programs, I welcome you to link to stories.

SG

Posted by: Goff | September 1, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps George Mason has a chance against Virginia on Friday night.

Personal Plea: Goff beat me to it. There seems to be a fair number of CAA fans here. I think the CAA is reasonably well represented on MLS rosters, too.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 1, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

OT:

Nottingham Forest are making a move for Jonathan Spector, according to the BBC.

No one is clear as to what will happen to Berbatov, I just hope he doesn't end up with Man. United.

Posted by: Red Devil | September 1, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

What do you here about local boy Gooch's transfer negotiations?

Posted by: Jordan | September 1, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Stevie Goffzinho!!

Steve Davis over at soccernet is trying to say Fred might play Weds . . . he obviously doesn't read the Insider . .

"""Injured midfielders Marcelo Gallardo and Fred, a big part of the United's first-choice attacking package, could possibly play on Wednesday but are unlikely to start. Defender Gonzalo Peralta is probably out. Forward Francis Doe and veteran midfielder Ben Olsen are practicing again, but probably can't start.

Anhaeuser would certainly prefer to play at Blackbaud, where the game would surely draw a sellout crowd. Wednesday's underdogs have been dismal outside of South Carolina, with seven losses in 12 road contests this year (a 1-7-4 mark). The club is 3-18-5 on the road over the last two years, although it did eliminate FC Dallas by a 3-1 margin in 2008 Open Cup play away from home.""

Posted by: delantero | September 1, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

When it comes time to protect players from the draft that will be coming up for Seattle, just exactly who is exempt from the draft? Are the DPs? Generation Addidas? Taxi Squad? I am working on my picks now. Thanks.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 1, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm reading Berbatov to Man City. The new Arab owners are spending right away.

Posted by: wmsiii | September 1, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I've been saying this since I first saw Cordeiro put a boot to a ball -- I think it was up at the Sportsplex -- the kid has skills. I think he can make big contributions to this team for years to come, if he's given the opportunities to grow.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 1, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 1, 2008 1:13 PM
..........................................

Here is a description of how it worked the last time around:

Posted by: The Jeff | September 1, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm reading Berbatov to Man City. The new Arab owners are spending right away.

Posted by: wmsiii | September 1, 2008 2:09 PM

They've also made bids for David Villa and Mario Gomez, rumors of a bid for Robinho as well.

Posted by: Red Devil | September 1, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Any news on emilio's availability for the usoc final?

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 1, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Fred might play Wednesday; he said the other day he wants to play in Open Cup final.

Emilio will be evaluated up to game time.

Posted by: Goff | September 1, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red Devil | September 1, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Berbatov to Man Utd done deal.

Posted by: peridigm | September 1, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Berbatov to Man Utd done deal.

Posted by: peridigm | September 1, 2008 7:57 PM

That just irritates me to no end, he's an excellent player, but he can't be bothered to play half the time. Maybe Sir Alex may motivate him enough each game, but I really doubt it.

Posted by: Red Devil | September 1, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

He was not happy at his old club. I think things will change for him.

Posted by: peridigm | September 1, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I am actuelly excited for him. He has great technical skills and since it's his dream to move he wants to show off to his new fans.
Robhino to Man City the surprise to me.

Posted by: td | September 1, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Re. Cordeiro and Kirk: Wunderbar. Good thing we didn't put them in Saturday night instead of Rod "EJ" Dyanchenko.

Posted by: gringo | September 1, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko. You don't play well, I don't spell your name right, just like with old O'Neill or whatever it was.

Posted by: gringo | September 1, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to the reserves.
I sat next to #17 and his folks on Saturday night, and they had me convinced I should be coming to the match on Sunday.
I told them I was lucky to be at the match we we're at, but that I was phyched to see some of the reserves getting some chances with the first team.
Dude's mom was stoked I recognized him...I thought it was funny my neighbor was ranting and raving about "what would make soccer better" while sitting two seats away from a pro...
Any off the cuff info on when the reserves will be playing again in the next couple months @ home?
Seems like a little more toddler friendly, and potentially just as entertaining as a first team match?
thanks

Posted by: dadryan | September 1, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

caa fans always get screwed.

jmu sucks this year again. but i will be routing for mason, w and m,etc

Posted by: castroviejo | September 1, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, mr goff, for the update. This blog is incredible.

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 2, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Masons got a good class coming in, is Fro Adu still there?

Robinho to City is a bit of a surprise, the new owners will be trying to keep up with the joneses

Posted by: Thora | September 2, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse