Matchnight: DCU-Saprissa

I like the idea of the CONCACAF Champions League and I truly think it will become a major event on the MLS calendar in the future, but right now, the clubs will labor to both succeed in this tournament and make a strong push toward the league playoffs. The challenge this year is particularly difficult for D.C. United, which, besides having to overcome injuries and a season of inconsistency, is in a stronger group than Houston. United is joined by Saprissa, Cruz Azul and Marathon; the Dynamo has Firpo, San Francisco and Pumas.

That said, United needs to earn points at home to have any shot of finishing in the top two and advancing to next year's quarterfinals. Kickoff is 8 p.m. Plenty of good seats available. TV coverage on Fox Soccer Channel and Galavision.

How do you think DCU will fare in group play?

I will be back later with DCU's lineup and subs.

DCU LINEUP: Wells; Namoff, McTavish, Burch, Martinez; Khumalo (right), Simms, Quaranta, Thompson (left); Cordeiro, Emilio. Subs: Crayton, Janicki, Dyachenko, Kirk, Fred, Moreno, Doe.

As usual, this is the place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.

By Steve Goff  |  September 16, 2008; 4:08 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: WPS Allocation List
Next: DCU-Saprissa, the Aftermath

Comments

we are going to lose, I just hope it is respactable.

Posted by: steve-o | September 16, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

We want the ball, and we're gonna win!

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Why do I suck so bad?

Posted by: Anelka | September 16, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Anelka, who just scored?

Posted by: RK | September 16, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I'd settle for a tie... but it'd be a great 3 points... lets go BOYZZZ!!

Posted by: Josh | September 16, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Too many tournaments, too few players on the roster. Can't keep up with whether these games actually matter anymore....
MLS needs to get its world straightened out.

Posted by: Hacksaw | September 16, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Interesting Champions League final...

Full Time - Roma 1 CFR Cluj-Napoca 2

Posted by: Kev | September 16, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah RK, I should have learned my lesson when I was heckling Blanco earlier this year like three seconds before he scored that goal @ RFK...
I gotta say that was the weakest goal I've seen so far this match day though.

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I hope United fights harder than they did against the SuperLiga opponents. Those games were a complete waste of time for anyone who cares about the team.

RK: "Anelka" meant to ask "Why do I SULK so bad?" Everyone knows the guy has talent - it's his attitude that rightly earns the criticism.

Posted by: Lucha Libre | September 16, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

We cant compete against Saprissa with the players we have out. If we are lucky we will tie tonight but still lose our next 2 away games in this tourney. Being pretty much eliminated we will turn all our attention to league play and by then it will be 2 late, no playoffs for United :-(

Posted by: Sysco76 | September 16, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea how DC will do. What I do know is that this game tonight is a must-win, unless either Saprissa or Cruz Azul decides the tournament isn't worth their time and tanks it. Since that's unlikely, we must take all 3 points tonight in order to balance what is a likely defeat at Saprissa (turf, rowdiest crowd in CONCACAF, Saprissa has 7 Costa Rican national team players). Lose or draw tonight, and a spot in the quarterfinals looks like a pipe dream. We'd need Marathon to spring some surprise results, and would absolutely have to beat them home and away.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 16, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that fiver I put on the Anothorsis Famagusta-CFR Cluj Champions League final looks pretty good right now.

I wonder how either of those clubs would fare in CONCACAF Champs League.

Posted by: AM | September 16, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

DC United will play well.

All I ask is that both teams play a match that would be worthy of a continental tournament. Flowing and beautiful and that whomever wins, does so on a spot of brilliance!

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 16, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@AM: CFR Cluj are a massive club. They would run rampant in CONCACAF.

Posted by: EdTheRed | September 16, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Park the bus, play 5-4-1.

Posted by: RK | September 16, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

So if we win Champions League, does that mean we qualify for the Superliga? Isn't that the one with all the cash and prizes (not to mention the prestige)?

Posted by: Slow Poke Joe | September 16, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

"How do you think DCU will fare in group play?"

Check, please...

Posted by: noptov52 | September 16, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
Any idea how seriously other teams in our group are taking this tourney? At what point in their respective domestic season are our opponents? Will fatigue, injuries, or disinterest be a factor for them too?

Posted by: Capitol Hill | September 16, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I think we'll win, but it'll be a difficult battle.

I think, 1 nil.

It's great exposure, but still. DC plays how many extra games than does Real Salt Lake?

Posted by: dogboy | September 16, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

No Peralta will be tough. No Gallardo won't help either, but if Fred and Emilio can really go 90, and Moreno puts in a good game we might pull this one out. Simms, McTavish and Burch need great games - if they all play.

Lots of "IFs" tonight, so IF the scoreboard works, I think it will show Saprissa 2 United 1. That is IF the lights stay on to allow the game.

I'll be hoping for better in all aspects at RFK tonight!

Posted by: Rob | September 16, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling that Quaranta will make the difference tonight.
Come on United!

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

At which point does participating in all these international tournaments start to hurt the MLS brand? It's ok if you lose a few but when MLS teams consistently suck in these tournaments, won't there come a time when participating brings negative buzz?

Posted by: Bart | September 16, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

wow, already making excusing for DC's performance. I doubt DC is the first and last team that will struggle in a tournament due to injuries.

Posted by: nico | September 16, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

so with all this, a question. we keep hearing people talk about players going to secondary leagues in Europe (not to diminish them, but there is a big swing between the EPL, SA, LL, BL and everyone else) by saying "well, at least they will get European play" given the nature of early UEFA cup play, is CCL with the six round play games the equivalent of early UEFA play?

Posted by: northzax | September 16, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

If Emilio plays, we win.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 16, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

It will be tough but maybe United will surprise me. Regardless I will be cheering loud and clear.
United is in group of death. So all our regular or reserves need to show their full strenght tonight and give everything for every game now on. If they want to show what they got, this is the time to do it to earn more respect and recognition. Set that street or college kid running like play must stop and show us something.

Posted by: unitedforlife | September 16, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

"I agree with Hacksaw though. MLS needs to get their stuff straight and stop trying to kill the league with all these tourny's."

What MLS needs to do is schedule better so that concurrent tournaments/competitions don't conflict enough. MLS needs its teams in the CCL in order for the league to improve.

In order to get a result tonight, DCU must have a strong performance from its backline. The backline is the weak spot right now because DCU does not have all its tools in the attack to make up for a blunder here or there.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Some of our newer faces and reservists have made positive contributions recently. I think we can win tonight if we can get some help from a few of them (some players like Khumalo, Kirk, Cordeiro, Doe, Dyachenko, Thompson, Zaher, PCarroll or even another brand new debutante will have to make positive contributions).

Overall, this tournament is badly set up for MLS teams to succeed. MLS rosters aren't deep enough to play in 2 competitions during the stretch run to the playoffs. And, if an MLS team does succeed and advance, it has to wait to the following season for the closing stages of the tournament. I think most MLS teams turnover half their roster each offseason so they're essentially different clubs.

But I'm shelling out my Andrew Jackson $20 for a seat in the stadium tonight and will be cheering like I always do.

Posted by: garbaggio | September 16, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope the maintenance folks found the portion of the wire the rats had chewed through and repaired it so that the video screen works again....

Posted by: Juan-John | September 16, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

You play in the Champions League with the team you have, not the team you want.

Posted by: Donald Rumsfeld | September 16, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

We can win this 2-0.

Here is the plan.

Play all the quick players.

Saprissa is quick in transition. Also I know they will have a lot of trouble handling the speed of Boyzzz and Quaranta.

We need to shut down Saprissa's attack down the wing.

Remember Away Goals DO count in this competition now. Don't let any in.

So the way to win is: Early goal. High Pressure. Shut down their attack on the wing and don't allow any away goals. A 1-0 result would not be the worse thing but if you can get a 2-0 and manage to get a draw in the Purple Monster then we're on our way in the competition as our guys get back to good health.

Posted by: Positive Note - We can win | September 16, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

We need to win, and win big tonight to put a gap between us and Saprissa, because a 2-1 win isnt enough if we go to their rowdy home field.

But that is just how i see us having to do.

How we will really play... i see it being a miracle if we can pull off a 2-1 win, let alone blowing them out with a 3-1 win. I see a win or a tie tonight, most likely a tie... but a loss is something that is very possible also.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | September 16, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

The short-term bloodletting of MLS teams is not a long-term detriment to the brand, the league, or American soccer. Rather, it's a highlight that despite all of the advances, there's still a hurdle to overcome. That hurdle involves roster sizes, a PATHETIC salary cap, minimum salary restrictions, an overcrowded calendar, PLAYOFFS, and coaching.

Now - it's more than evident that some of the frustations on these topics have boiled over in Manhattan. Some of them are likely to be addressed as soon as next year. Others will take awhile.

So, while I will root for the Black and Red to make a run to both Cups and while I'll pull for the Dynamo to bring MLS respect, I'll take my lumps now if it gets the money and the passion at the ownership and fan level higher in coming years.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 16, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I think United has more depth then people give them credit for.

I forsee this line-up tonight.

---------------Crayton------------------
Namoff----------McT------------Martinez-
----------Simms------Vide(if he can play)
Fred----------------------------Burch---
---------------Quaranta-----------------
--------Khumalo/Moreno--Emilio----------

Posted by: United fury | September 16, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Member of a DC United supporters group? Help me out with a paper at school by filling out this quick survey. PLEEEEASE!!!

Posted by: Andy | September 16, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately we will not make it out of group play. We will lose our road games and will get a predictable draw at home with Cruz Azul. CA and Saprissa will move on.

Posted by: Nick | September 16, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

RK:

Parking the bus requires mistake-free play in the back. We could field 10 defenders, and we'd still give away chances. This United team has no choice but to attack. We can't go into any game expecting to keep a clean sheet, so we have to score 2 goals every time out to have a realistic shot at winning.

Positive Note:

It's a group stage, not a home-away aggregate. Away goals are the same as home goals. A 5-4 win is still a win.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 16, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

@EdTheRed

If Cluj is so 'massive', how come the last title they won before last year was the Transylvanian First Division in 1910?

They're the country's railroad team - it's like FC Amtrak.

I guess Juan Toja is the only who could tell us how they compare.

Posted by: AM | September 16, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if we get 3 subs in the CLL like regular league play or if its 4 subs like in Superliga?

Posted by: DCUMD | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say it but the timing of this tournement could not be worse for United. Frankly, I don't see us making the group stage.

Next year, I hope with a more realistic and healthy roster, and better scheduling I think we will not only get through the group stage but challange for the title.

Posted by: Nick | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

You play in the Champions League with the team you have, not the team you want.

Posted by: Donald Rumsfeld | September 16, 2008 5:35 PM

Of course, when we win the Champions League, the revenue generated will pay for all costs we took on to build the team to win it.

Posted by: Paul W. | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

You play in the Champions League with the team you have, not the team you want.

Posted by: Donald Rumsfeld | September 16, 2008 5:35 PM

Posted by: Paul W. | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

You play in the Champions League with the team you have, not the team you want.

Posted by: Donald Rumsfeld | September 16, 2008 5:35 PM

Posted by: Paul W. | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Ok tonight's game will have more saprissa fans than united. I see more saprissa fans in the pk lot than united. If there will be morer than 65 hundead I would be surprise.
One thing clear is now that the CCL is set MLS or United better includ CCl games in season tickets rather than that Gerber feeding DISGRACE super liga games.

Posted by: td | September 16, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | September 16, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | September 16, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | September 16, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I would rather see the boys do well in the Champions League...

...just as long as we kick the Galaxy saturday while they are down.

Posted by: Darth Hater | September 16, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I would rather see the boys do well in the Champions League...

...just as long as we kick the Galaxy saturday while they are down.

Posted by: Darth Hater | September 16, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I am having trouble getting into the blog proper, so here is the lineup:

DCU: Wells; Namoff, McTavish, Burch, Martinez; Khumalo, Simms, Quaranta, Thompson; Cordeiro, Emilio.

Subs: Crayton, Janicki, Dyachenko, Doe, Kirk, Moreno, Fred.

Posted by: Goff | September 16, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

A lot more fans of saprissa than united in the parking lot.
MLS need or United need to includ CCL games in the season tickets now they are a permanent tournament rather than that garbage Gerber feed superliga.

Posted by: td | September 16, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Goff! What time is kickoff estimated, and do you know if they will have a TOTALLY AWESOME CCL theme song?
I say if United makes it through, they GOTTA GET a 3rd Jersey for the Quarterfinal round!!!
Come on UNITED!!!!!!

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the multiple posts. It is giving me trouble. Wells in goal. We are lost already. Fire ts

Posted by: td | September 16, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

WELLS?

Posted by: slammer | September 16, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Whooo Hoooo!
Come on Zach!
This is going to be good!!!
Hopefully some young bloods can get some early goals and then the Jaime can come in and help them shut it down.
Vamos United!

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

WELLS? please be kind to us purple monster

Posted by: pc | September 16, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

wells, wells is back

damn, this is a bad week

Posted by: vasco | September 16, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

LOL... with that starting lineup (Wells, Thompson) I can see where the DC priorities are.

Posted by: LN Hunter | September 16, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if maybe Crayton is a little hurt. On the play where he got kicked or stepped on or whatever by Rocha he seemed to hurt his lower back. He was doing a lot of stretching for a while after that play. Otherwise I cannot understand why he wouldn't be out there. He needs as much time as possible with the back four.

Posted by: Glenn | September 16, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Looks like coach Soehn meant it when he said the team would be concentrating on MLS play during this busy part of its schedule; he's resting most everyone who's been injured lately, save Emilio.

Here's hoping United's B+ side can pull off a bit of a surprise tonight.

I've got a feeling Wells will have a monster game tonight.

Posted by: DCUInWheaton | September 16, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Unless Crayton is injured, just fire Soehn right now. No need to let him begin the match.

Posted by: Glaucon | September 16, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I really don't understand the logic behind putting Wells and leaving Crayton out.

Posted by: td | September 16, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Why are we srtarting Wells? Also, please let me know if you find a Giffords stand. They were here last game. I'm hankering for ice cream and don't think ice cream of the future is going to do it tonight. Thanks.

Posted by: soccergirl | September 16, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | September 16, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Wells?! wtf?

Posted by: Ash | September 16, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

B+ side?

C'mon, playing OTC in goal would be the B+ side. Wells is D side.

I have no problems with the inclusion of Thompson or Cordeiro, given the injuries we have, it's necessary, and I prefer having those 2 on the wings than someone like Quaranta.

Now, playing Cordeiro up top and Boyzzz on the wing? That's just baffling.

If we go down, I forsee Boyzzz moving back up top, Fred coming in on one of the wings, then Moreno coming on for either Boyzzz or Emilio at some point around the 65-75th minute.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Can't blame the fans for a poor turnout on a Tuesday Night with overpriced tickets. Although the $20 seats for Barra and Eagles will hopefully ensure that some more casual fans will end up on the loud side. I'd have come up from Durham if I'd known Rugby practice would be canceled.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think there will be more than 100 people here tonight. What a shame and everyone is for Saprissa. Shame on United fans for image like this.

Posted by: td | September 16, 2008 7:38 PM"

Huh? It's a home match... hopefully we'll be taking 100 people for the match in San Jose!

Posted by: kasdc | September 16, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, well what the h--l! Or should I say Wells, Wells what the H--ls!

Posted by: Harpo | September 16, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

"I've got a feeling Wells will have a monster game tonight."

Question is, what kind of monster?

Posted by: 22206 | September 16, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Looks like I assumed correctly that Cordeiro and Boyzzz were wrong in Goff's lineup... at least according to FSC. They also show Burch playing out with with Martinez and McTavish in the middle.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

any live feeds on the web?

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 16, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Sohen started Wells because he had two excellent games for Houston against a Costa Rican opponent, Puntarenas FC.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 16, 2008 8:07 PM

-------------------------------------

FSC is 21500 on TVU

Posted by: AJ | September 16, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Feedmaster | September 16, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

The preview in this morning's Post said that WFED would be carrying this game as usual. Well, it ain't. Where is Limarzi?

Posted by: The Jeff | September 16, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

United radio feed here, moved because of the radio format changes..

Posted by: Everett W. | September 16, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

we are actually playing pretty good..
thompson in front of goal deflected landed to emilio. but cleared away

Posted by: Spartan | September 16, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks feedmaster I forgot to look at mls-rumors.

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 16, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

United radio feed here, moved because of the radio format changes..

Posted by: Everett W. | September 16, 2008 8:15 PM
..........................................

Huh? What radio format changes?

Posted by: The Jeff | September 16, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

United's flagship radio station is still 1050 AM but no longer associated with WFED/Federal News Radio. That's throwing off the old net streaming feeds.

Posted by: Everett W. | September 16, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Fantasic Save by wells on a Saprissa corner dove to his right and punched it away

Posted by: Spartan | September 16, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Did Wells just get carded for giving the ref too much sass?

Posted by: elopingcamel | September 16, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

A brand new Wells, looks like he wants the starting job back. But, it is early

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 16, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind the card. He is talking and being assertive. I normally do not condone barking at the ref but he did stop a break.

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 16, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

And he's got a LONG LONG way to go to prove he deserves it.

Posted by: elopingcamel | September 16, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

And goal Saprissa

Posted by: AJ | September 16, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Goal, Saprisso, #8, 32'.

jw

Posted by: BerwynHeightsUnited | September 16, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

that goal did not help!

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 16, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

that goal was comical by all involved, it still was very saveable by Wells

Oh well, there goes champions league

Posted by: Thora | September 16, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

loose ball at top of box. Our sweeper backed off, giving 8 the easy lane to the right post, past Diving Zach.

jw

Posted by: BerwynHeightsUnited | September 16, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

RED Card for mctvish..

Posted by: Spartan | September 16, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Red card on McTavish! I need to go ride my bike and blow off some steam.

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 16, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Was it a straight red? Don't think he got a yellow before. What did he do? Couldn't see it from the quiet side of the stadium. Thanks.

Posted by: soccergirl | September 16, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

OH MY GOSH DCUNITED IS LOSING AT HOME TO SAPRISSA! OH MY GOSH! NOW SUDDENLY IT'S NOT FAIR OUR ROSTER IS SMALL! WE CAN'T COMPETE WITH SUCH SMALL ROSTERS! OH MAN WE HVAE TOO MANY GAMES IN TOO SHORT A TIME PERIOD! OH MY GOSH THE WORLD IS ENDING

Posted by: MarkVA | September 16, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how much this ref was paid. I know they didn't have to pay him but looks like they did just to make sure. Otherwise, how does that add up to a straight red?

Oh, that goal was comical. Am watching on a web feed and I thought maybe I was seeing things. It did look like DC defenders backed off the goal scorer.

Posted by: Bart | September 16, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

This ref is a freaking clown. Tommy should have pulled the team off the field after that Red to McTavish.

Cordeiro has been alright, but Thompson and Khumalo have been quite bad on the wings. Even though it's only 1-0, United really doesn't have much of a chance in this match down a man with no creativity in the attack.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

...what?

Posted by: Colm | September 16, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I have always wondered what would happen if a coach did just that: pull his guys off the field to protest a blatantly bias call. Suspension? Fine?

Posted by: Bart | September 16, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Why is God set on screwing us this season?????

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and it's unfortunate that Goff's lineup was right and FSC's was wrong. Burch isn't a Central Defender. Why Soehn sticks with him in there is beyond me. Khumalo definitely can't play on the wing at this level, and Cordeiro looks lost up top.

Subs to start the 2nd Half? Moreno for Cordeiro and Fred for Khumalo. Come out in a 3-4-2

------------Wells (sigh...)---
Martinez---Namoff--------Burch
------------Simms-------------
Fred-------------------Thompson
--------------Q---------------
--------Moreno-Emilio----------

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

WELLS OUT! CRAYTON IN! NOW SOHEN!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand Soehn--does he know how to coach? He won the Supporters'Shield last year with Novak's team; now, he can't motivate or energize his players to give more then they can. He appears to be out of his league as a coach. He constantly puts in Dychenko, and puts Quarranta in midfield when he should be in as a forward.
I don't understand Soehn--does he know anything about tactics?
Wait till next year!! A new coach. Maybe!!

Posted by: Leo | September 16, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Damn... Emilio out, Fred in. Not the sub I wanted.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Besides being a United player, what was McTavish's transgression?

Posted by: Carnack (the Cynic) | September 16, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Wells has to be the slowest, least agile keeper ever. Like slower than Meola or Thornton.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Puerto Rico Islandersseem to be doing just fine in the CCL today! I wonder how many games they have played this season compared to DC?

Posted by: Chris | September 16, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

That red card was the dumbest thing ever and yes, it did look like te defenders backed off the ball before it was scored. With all these crazed Saprissa fans behind me I am really glad for all the CSC for keeping them outta my section. The ratio of DCU to Saprissa fans looks to be about even - not surprising considering how much my account manager talked me into spending.

Posted by: katie | September 16, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Cripes

2-0 Saprissa

Posted by: AJ | September 16, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

This is depressing. If we can't just forfeit the next five matches, I say we plau entirely the reserves and give our starters some much-needed rest.

Posted by: soccergirl | September 16, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

welcome back Zach...

Posted by: peridigm | September 16, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow....just wow

3-0

How bout some central defenders?

Posted by: AJ | September 16, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Down 2-0 and a man, this game is over! Our Champions League is effectively over, too. We ought to just stick all the reserve players on the field we can in subsequent games and not even subject our few healthy starters to the travel. I'm not a big Wells fan, but none of the goals so far have been his fault.

Posted by: Forrest | September 16, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

What did McT do to deserve a red? To many games, to close together. These players are tired and worn out. Losing their concentration.

Posted by: Mike | September 16, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

no goal offsides

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 16, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Well I stand by my desire for new defenders

Posted by: AJ | September 16, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

How much more were tickets for this game? I assume the extra cost is going into crooked Jack's Swiss bank account.

Posted by: Forrest | September 16, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

SOEHN OUT NOW! I don't care WHO takes his place but he can't do worse. I suspect Greg Ryan would be a better coach and have a better understanding of tactics and substitutions than Soehn.

Posted by: SOEHN OUT NOW PLZ | September 16, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

anyone need any more proof of how poor MLS really is...

Posted by: jose | September 16, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

MLS: 0-4-1 in CCL after tonight, and i don't even want to think about goal differential.

Posted by: john | September 16, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Zach Wells should not be paid by ANY soccer team on the planet to play goalkeeper.

That referee should have his credentials stripped by FIFA. How can that piece of sh!t look at himself in the mirror?

This United team is just awful. Let this season end please.

Posted by: Ryan | September 16, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

"anyone need any more proof of how poor MLS really is..."

-----------------

Nope. I've been following the league for 12 years but this will be my last if they don't double the salary cap next season.

Posted by: Mikey Mouse | September 16, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

who hit that header from the Burch cross? SO CLOSE!

Posted by: berwynheightsunited | September 16, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

the red card was for dissent.

Posted by: Joe | September 16, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Really good goalkeeping. Too bad it's by Saprissa.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 16, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

"who hit that header from the Burch cross? SO CLOSE!"

---------

Khumalo.

Looks like we have a new scoring threat on headers.

Posted by: Feedmaster | September 16, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice the mistakes with everyone's names on FSC?

Posted by: kris | September 16, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I hope Don Garber is watching.

Posted by: GoUnited | September 16, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I bet he'll bash us again for doing poorly in international competitions, again.

Posted by: GoUnited | September 16, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Nice shot by Burch on the free kick; nice save by keeper Saprissa

Posted by: BerwynHeightsUnited | September 16, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Saprissa fan on the field!!!

Posted by: kris | September 16, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Gutless fans, running onto the field with all their clothes on.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 16, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

This game is now officially a farce with the drunk fan running on the field, and I've had enough. Maybe we can pull a halfway respectable effort into the game against LA on Sat. Knowing our luck and form we'll be the team that breaks LA's 12 game winless streak.

Posted by: Forrest | September 16, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

This demonstrates the bankruptcy of the DP rules. Instead of raising the salary cap and thereby improving the depth on the roster, Garber and company took the easy way out to bring Beckham to the states and created a "rule" to permit it. We are seeing the results of adding untold millions to a team's salary structure without a concomitant increase to the cap. You get a Red Bull castoff and a Third Division player playing forward for MLS in an international competition.

Posted by: griffin1108 | September 16, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

ridiculous

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Bankruptcy of the DP rule? Nobody forced Kevin Payne to sign an aging playmaker with a bad recent injury history for $1.9 million, with a $400 thousand salary cap hit.

What is it with you people and making excuses?

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 16, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

McT got his red for dissent? How is that even possible? He had less than two seconds to "dissent" before the ref had that card out. This is absolutely depressing.
Amen to all comments about this league needing to raise the salary cap and roster size if they want to keep fans around. I'm all for the conservative slow growth approach that the league has taken up until now, but you can't have Superliga, Champs Cup, Champs League, Open Cup, MLS Cup, and the regular season with a 28 player team. It is utter stupidity.

Posted by: elopingcamel | September 16, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

OK Mastodon, gloat because your team actually doesn't stink this year. The point of my post is that instead of increasing the cap by several million, MLS took the easy way out. IIRC, there was this guy Reyna who was a DP salary anchor on the Red Bull salary cap as well. The point is that whether or not Payne signed Gallardo or anyone else as a DP, the cap space wasn't increased, so injuries on a team, whether or not it has a DP, will be fatal to that team over the course of a season because the cap doesn't permit depth to be acquired.

Posted by: griffin1108 | September 16, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I think you missed griffin's point mast. It's not about who you sign or whether they stay healthy. Even if Marcello was on the field, DC would still have been playing with 4, that's right, 4 players making less than $30,000 per year. The only players that will sign for that much money are lower end USL players (or even USL 2 guys) and college kids that have no business playing in international competitions. With the additional money teams - and the league - are putting into DP players, the minimum salaries for senior and developmental rosters could more than double. Thus, instead of starting a bunch of kids, DC would have been using serviceable upper end professionals from USL. Heck some of the best prospects often go to USL anyhow because they don't feel like signing a contract for less than $20,000 per year. I think that was griffin's point.

Posted by: jose | September 16, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Well Tom you finally decided after several games and 3/4 of a game against Saprissa that Burch is not a CB. Wow! You must have a really high soccer IQ.

Posted by: Tommy Boy | September 16, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

This has nothing to do with the DP rule and has everything to do with teams needing larger rosters and much larger salary caps to be competitive even in this region.

If it was blatantly obvious before, it's blatantly obvious now.

Posted by: Eugene | September 16, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

That's exactly right Eugene - this does have to do with roster sizes and the salary cap. But by instituting the DP rule, MLS in effect allowed teams to add marquee players without expanding rosters or increasing the cap. What the league should have done instead is to institute a soft cap whereby the larger market teams would pay a significant fee to smaller market teams like in the NFL. This revenue sharing plan allows the league to raise the cap beyond what the so-called smaller markets can afford and in turn will lead to deeper more talented rosters. So while i agree that teams need larger senior rosters and more freedom to spend what is needed, the DP rule has effectively stalled that process - at least until the collective bargaining begins next year.

Posted by: steel | September 16, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

What are you guys talking about? This league is perfect!

Posted by: Mickey Mouse and MLS | September 16, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

oh, and I feel that someone should mention that this isn't anything new. MLS teams have been falling flat on their faces in this tournament (or the previous version anyhow) for years. It's just getting more attention now because these games are on TV. MLS can no longer twist the truth - which is a good thing. It means people are actually starting to pay attention. It's simply the next step for this young league - baby steps!

Posted by: steel | September 16, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Just got back.

First EVER game I've left early. I even stayed throughout the July Superliga, twice postponed rained out but still gonna play the last 15 minutes against Houston match.

This game I left early because I felt like I was eating a Crap sandwich.

The McTBone red? Why? The Quaranta yellow? Why?

Otherwise, our 2nd tier substituting for our injury plagued starters showed that they couldn't get forward really well and left open spots in the back . . . kind of like our starters . . . .

Posted by: delantero | September 16, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

At least we are not galaxy fans.

Posted by: dtd | September 16, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow what a performance by dc and tom. I am about to puke. No skills really. That's the bottom line. And you know most refs hate united so no surprise there to mctav got red for nothing.

Posted by: td | September 16, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | September 16, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

We had a game tonight?

Posted by: Hoost | September 16, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Just one word - Ouch.

Posted by: Kire | September 16, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Is there a detailed reporting of fouls from concacaf so we can the exact explanation of the red card. Or do we live with a Jack Warner special.

Posted by: pc | September 16, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I just got back from the Nats game and I have never been happier to miss a United game.

I think they should give a warning every time they plan on playing Wells so fans don't have to bother to show up to the game.

What a waste.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 16, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

honestly glad I didn't go to the game...
Anyone watching SFvsPumas?
You think Kansas City has it bad look at this field they are playing on in Panama!
SF just equalized, and then Pumas number 10 gets a red card!
Now this is some classy soccer!
Is that normal to have no penalty box lines or what?

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

so yeah... this sucks. got into a fight with the girl then decided to watch the black and red to cheer myself up.... yeah, that worked out.

Posted by: gilbert | September 16, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Wells was an unpleasant surprise but he didn't cost us the match. Poor marking, especially of late runners out of the midfield, cost us the match, along with a strange red card and a good opponent. Actually, Wells made some saves I didn't think he could make.

Posted by: Hedbal | September 16, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm consoling myself with good bourbon. The only saving grace tonight was that we left 20 minutes early and didn't have to be on the metro with any Deportivo Saprissa fans. What a depressing night.

Posted by: soccergirl | September 16, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Now that I've read through all the horse puckey everyone has spewed, I gotta say VERY FUNNY I-270 about the gutless fan not getting naked.
Hey Mastodon you can copy this and frame it: You are spot on with the excuses remark towards all these whiners.
There were bright spots in dark corners during this game. Some guys were forced into playing their butts off against a superior team. A full Force starting eleven for United would have been different. Whatever will be will be.
I like Boyzzz feet, I think he could really be a big help in the long run, with him and Guerrero fit shredding the flanks some nice stuff could happen. Those guys can get their crosses in.
Fred showed a lot of guts and promise in my opinion and it's just a bummer that McT saw red.
Was it dissent? Nothing in the replays showed anything decisive
but Tino sure was hacking the heck out of dude. Reminded me of why Landon Donovan got his nose bloodied by Gallardo earlier this year...
On to the next one. United has to beat LA this weekend. Let's all meditate on that one. YOU TOO MJ!
Wow RED CARD FOR PUMAS GOAL KEEPER!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Who needs a big MLS salary cap to win a Chanmpions League game? My Puerto Rico Islanders are already on our way to winning our 1st game against the team that took out Chivas USA.

Posted by: Colin Clarke | September 16, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

We actually played better in the second half with 10 men, mostly thanks to Fred being able to hold the ball. We had no shots in the first half. Apparently Saprissa rested regulars in their Saturday game. The difference in quality was clear. There were at least 3 Costa Rica national team players out there tonight.

Posted by: sbg | September 16, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

The matchtracker says McTavish was ejected for violent conduct. The incident happened just about 15 yards in front of me. After Saprissa guy went down from Quaranta's foul McTavish ran up and stood over him and made a halfhearted kicking motion. I couldn't tell or not whether he even connected but it was a very stupid thing to do. This ref Marco Antonio "Dracula" Rodriguez is famous (or infamous) for redcarding players at the slightest provocation. He works Mex league games almost every weekend on Tv and is also one of the senior refs in CONCACAF so the team should know his tendencies in advance.

Wells was OK and wasn't at fault on either goal. Both came after DC players blocked a Saprissa pass or shot that then bounced back to a Sap player for a nice scoring chance.

The starting lineup made it obvious that Soehn was prioritizing league results over this tournament. I don't have a problem with that. But once McT got tossed our only real chance to get back in the game was for a Saprissa player to get tossed for something equally stupid and even the odds.

This result is great news for players like Wells, Janicki, Kirk, Doe, Thompson, Cordeiro, Koroma, Dyachenko, Khumalo and Zaher as they will have the chance to play in as many as 5 upcoming international games. It's definitely not worth risking our more important starters.

The Purple Monster Barney has devoured our international hopes.

Posted by: garbaggio | September 16, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Losing 2-0 at home in the region's "major" tournament is just down right pathetic. This team is and has been all season an unorganized fiasco. The wheels have finally come off. The Open cup is as good as it will get with Mr. Soehn calling the shots.

Posted by: Soehn The Exit | September 16, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Kasper and Payne were under heavy pressure from Will and Victor to make a big splash with a DP signing. Naturally they looked to Argentina once Soehn decided he couldn't trust C. Gomez anymore. They had strong contacts there. Kasper built up some nice relationships there that enabled him and his family to be treated like Seth Blatter when he visited Buenos Aires on "scouting" trips. Don't forget that Gallardo was not their first choice: Veron was thought to be all done - they had a hotel reservation for him at the Ritz Carlton and a presser scheduled for the big roll-out and DCU was left at the altar. Maybe Veron saw what he would be getting into and rethought it. Bottom line: this is Soehn's team and he will go down with it.

Posted by: lgm6986 | September 16, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

You know they need to erase the folowing from the DC UNITED website..

Passion, Pride, Tradition.

get rid of PRIDE NOW, because with Soehn as coach we have known. I have been a dc fan since 96 and we have never lost 4 games in a row against international competetion. AT HOME. The reserves and some starters would never let themselves get smacked like this if they had PRIDE. Its one thing to have this happen to NEw england once at home, but this has happened to us in the past 4 int games including superliga.

oh yeah and Juan Mastodan as least we can argue about having so many games and being in so many tournaments, please just go gloat about the

La Bamba cup you won..

Para Bailar LA MANGA
MAAAMANGA
MAAAMAGAA

Posted by: dc fan | September 17, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Whatever. I had a good time at the game. The Saprissa supporters were great. There were a total seven United fans in the four sections behind the benches and, yet, still enjoyed the trip.

Boyzzz impressed again up front, if not on the wing. Namoff, Simms, and Martinez were excellent. And, absolutely, once Fred came in, United finally controlled the ball at midfield. Craig Thompson, unfortunately, disappeared in the second half and Wells was at fault for the first goal but could not have done anything about the second. Overall, good game out of Zach.

Only thing is, I can't believe that the front office decided to charge that much to season ticket holders to watch United get whacked. I'm pretty annoyed that with virtually no one picking up their season tickets for the CL, the front office did not decide to drop prices, refund amounts to those who did put down the cash, and try and encourage others to pick up their seats for the additional games. While I am willing to deal with being overwhelmed by Saprissa fans, I have no desire to be that vulnerable again during the Cruz Azul match.

Posted by: Section 107 | September 17, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, just watched the highlights on MLSnet and McT was tossed for a foul in the run of play (although it could have been after the whistle for Quaranta's preceding foul). I thought McTavish had been redcarded for something the ref thought he (McT) did after the player was already on the ground.

The MLSnet game highlights only show it once at regular speed and it's not even the real focus of the camera. So I'm still a bit puzzled by the decision.

Posted by: garbaggio | September 17, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

I think I just got screwed out of $35.

It is my understanding that Reserve matches are free, played at the RFK Auxiliary Field, and on Sunday mornings at 10:00 am.

I want my money back.

Posted by: Rick in Ashburn | September 17, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

I saw the MLS highlights, too -- missed the game because I was at the Nationals -- and I have to say that I'm impressed with the offense generated by United. Seems like they had as many good shots on goal as I've seen the team make in one half -- and they were down a man. They were beaten by a hot goalie. As for Wells, I'm not sure that he was really at fault. One post above called him slow. He wasn't slow to react to the shots, I think -- though it's possible that he could have started to slide over sooner and been in a better position -- hard to say from the highlights. Disappointing result, with some sloppy defense, but it seems like it must have been a pretty encouraging performance.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 17, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Goff -- odds on Soehn not making out of the season with his job?

Posted by: Darth Hater | September 17, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse