Matchnight: United-Earthquakes

I'm in Havana, not Santa Clara, but if you would like to comment on the DCU-San Jose match late tonight or any other MLS games, this is the place.

By Steve Goff  |  September 6, 2008; 8:35 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: USA-Cuba
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Behind the Badge posted the lineup:

-------------------Doe--------------
-----------------Gallardo-----------
Guerrero---------Dyachenko---------Quaranta
-------------------Simms---------------
Zaher------------------------------Martinez
-------Burch-----------McTavish-------
--------------Crayton-------------

Time for Gallardo to earn his money.

Available subs include only: James Thorpe, Pat Carroll, Ryan Cordeiro, Quavas Kirk and Craig Thompson

I thought Benny was on the cusp of return? Guess not...

Posted by: JAP | September 6, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd buy that for a dollar.
Vamos United!!!

Posted by: dadryan | September 6, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Steve thanks for the thread, you rock.

Posted by: dadryan | September 6, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

why did jaime leave if he didn't dress?

Posted by: Atl | September 6, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

As far as I can tell, this was the most recent development in the San Jose stadium push: http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2008/05/19/daily45.html

I think the plan is to build a SSS near the airport.

Anyone heard anything since then?

Posted by: FC | September 6, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Lovely-Dyastinko's in the starting XI. Wonder how many times he'll screw up.

Posted by: person | September 6, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Why is the mls so stupid? Is it the only domestic league that dfoesnt suspend its schedule for int'l play? The pigman does NOT approve.

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 6, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I say 3-2 to DC.
Crayton scores three.
;)

Posted by: bob | September 6, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Is Limarzi covering the game? No cable here. :(

Posted by: soccergirl | September 6, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

3-2 to United.
Crayton scores three. ;)

Posted by: bob | September 6, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I think the plan is to build a SSS near the airport.

Anyone heard anything since then?

Posted by: FC | September 6, 2008 9:28 PM
.........................................

This site is a stone's throw from where they're playing now, which is nice, in light of all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about how difficult it will be to head for Greenbelt rather than RFK.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 6, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Is Limarzi covering the game? No cable here. :(

Posted by: soccergirl | September 6, 2008 9:49 PM
..........................................

It sure sounds like it:

Posted by: The Jeff | September 6, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I see CSN has the game in HD. For some reason, I thought it was only home games they aired in HD. This is great to see - when did they decide to take the HD equipment on the road? Is this a permanent thing or is a decision made venue by venue?

Posted by: FC | September 6, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh, you can hear Barra really well on the mlslive.tv feed. Fantastic.

Posted by: Colm | September 6, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Goal Alvarez. 1-0 San Jose.

Posted by: FC | September 6, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

San Jose scofre in 17th minute

Posted by: Spartan | September 6, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Schelotto torched the Revs something serious -- had me dying. With his single season assist numbers this year, he is at the Valderamma and Diablo level.

Posted by: LN Hunter | September 6, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

It almost looks like our defenders are escorting Huckerby into a scoring postion the way they are backing off of him so much.

Dyachenko...need I say more?

Posted by: Kosh | September 6, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Terrible pressuring the ball.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | September 6, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else have a high pitched noise coming over the audio?

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 6, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Was that Troy Dayak in the banner with George Best and Lamar Hunt? What's the connection, besides the San Jose Earthquakes connection?

Posted by: Red Devil | September 6, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

The Revs were on the wrong end of a "whatever you can do I can do better" game between Joe Public and the Crew.

Posted by: Kosh | September 6, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else have a high pitched noise coming over the audio?

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 6, 2008 10:41 PM

I didn't notice it until you mentioned it, now I can't stand it, lol.

Posted by: Red Devil | September 6, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, it's not Lamar Hunt.

Posted by: Red Devil | September 6, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Yes on the high pitched noise. It's there on HD and the regular channel. Also, ABC's World of Sports, circa 1983 called, and they want their clock back.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 6, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

So does Doe keep getting yanked because he's playing hurt or because he's stinking it up out there?

Posted by: Kosh | September 6, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Love the KFC Corner lol

Posted by: LN Hunter | September 6, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

yeah the clock is money!

Posted by: FC | September 6, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah-why is the production quality so freaking low? That noise is super irritating and my video just dissovled and the sopranos appeared. AND why the heck would bolivia call jamie and not dress him????????

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 6, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Why not stick Simms on Huckerby and mark him out of the game? Take away the opponent's favorite weapon.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | September 6, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

i think jamie wanted a rest and thias was the only way he could get it. his good friend is the coach

Posted by: chris D | September 6, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

i think this was the worst time to rest Vide..
extremely bad timing by TS

Posted by: Spartan | September 6, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I just wonder if Dyastinko gives a hell of a BJ b/c he doesn't have any damn talent. I mean there has got to be a good reason he is in there, right? Oh and whoever mentioned the high pitch sound it is coming out of the mouth of Rongen. One more note, why the hell would you move Guerrero over to the right when he was tearing it up on the left? Soehn is really the worst tactical coach ever in MLS history!

Posted by: Guz Man | September 6, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Fred? Was the USOC game too much if he is on the comeback trail?

Posted by: LN Hunter | September 6, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Why does the MLS avoid reason at all costs? Let the teams have a break during international play!

Maybe we should use halftime to form a search party for DCU's defense.

Posted by: cole | September 6, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't see this game winning. Very bad. Doe is fat and slow. Dychenko is slow. All the crosses were terrible. All the players are terrible.

Posted by: td | September 6, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

I am not a huge Soehn fan either, but moving Guerrero over to the right side makes a ton of sense, seeing as how the Tino and Martinez combo were making Huckerby look like Cristiano Ronaldo, the way he was running down that side.

Posted by: Kosh | September 6, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

What is the playoff format again? Top three from each conference and the next two top teams, regardless og confewrence?

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 6, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Normally I would be ticked right about now, but having a trophy in hand, a CONCACAF berth for next year AND a USMNT win on the road, I'm happy. I try not to be greedy about these things.

OTOH if the pink cows would have gained points on us, I would have been somewhat irate about what is unfolding before me right now.

Posted by: Kosh | September 6, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Every player sucks except Crayton and Martinez, well maybe Sims. Zaher's cross or what? But i am not going to kill myself because DC is now out of reach of SSS and NY and Toronto lost tonight so there is still a chance and the bottom table has not changed for the east. We can beat the sh..t out of Dallas Saturday. Hopefully.

Posted by: td | September 6, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Does ronnie o'brian have dema nightmares?

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 6, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Goal Huckerby. 2-0 San Jose.

Posted by: FC | September 6, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

congrats SJ, you have just beat the weakest DC team I have ever seen

Posted by: ricky | September 6, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

MLS needs to really think this playing on international dates thing over one more time.

Posted by: Kosh | September 6, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Cordeiro 2 good looks at the back post. need to put one of those away.

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 6, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

DC went to SJ to play for SJ. Most of DC's players are right back to SJ.

Posted by: td | September 6, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo exits in 75th minute.

Posted by: FC | September 6, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Team packed up

Posted by: LN Hunter | September 6, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Goal TINO!

Posted by: FC | September 6, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

tino can get any girl in here

Posted by: ricky | September 6, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I love it when Rongen says "thanks for coming".

Posted by: FC | September 6, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

err, I was saying...

Posted by: LN Hunter | September 6, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey, how 'bout some love for Dyachenko for helping create the goal? And the dummy last week that led to the goal in the USOC final?

Posted by: Bill in Md. | September 6, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

What a tremendous play by Dyachenko to make that goal happen.

I do not enjoy watching Rod play, but this has been his best performance of the year.

Posted by: Rod! | September 6, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Carroll for gallardo provides a lot of offensive creativity.

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 6, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Nice hustle from Carroll and Cordeiro.

Posted by: FC | September 6, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah at least he has given up that scary tackle that invits red card. He seems to be playing with caution and that's why he looks slow. Corderio should have been in from the beginning and not doe. that was space opportunity wasted. Tino made up his mistakes.

Posted by: td | September 6, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

do you all like to beat women or earthquakes more?

Posted by: steve perry | September 6, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Game over. 5,000 round trip miles, but no points to take home.

Posted by: FC | September 6, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Sims had a perfect opp to put away one instead he falls on the ground. Corderio had two perfect opps instead he throws out. Lucky that one goal ruled out offside although they were level running.

Posted by: td | September 7, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

i think this was the worst time to rest Vide..
extremely bad timing by TS

Posted by: Spartan | September 6, 2008 11:02 PM

You do realize Vide got hurt on Wednesday's game don't you?

Posted by: Rich C | September 7, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

I am not certain, but who the hell was supposed to be on Huckerby on the second goal? I saw Martinez running in way late, bad defense. Where was McT?I better check quick kicks...
I like seeing Quaranta scoring though.
New Jersey not gaining points is good.

Posted by: dadryan | September 7, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

i think this was the worst time to rest Vide..
extremely bad timing by TS

Posted by: Spartan | September 6, 2008 11:02 PM

Posted by: LN Hunter | September 6, 2008 11:04 PM

Vide and Fred are hurt. Neither were available tonight. Comments ripping Soehn for tonight's lineup just show your ignorance of the situation.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 7, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Post-game comments from Tom Soehn are here.

Also, the banner mentioned earlier shows former Quakes George Best and Troy Dayak along with Peter Bridgwater.

Posted by: JJH | September 7, 2008 4:56 AM | Report abuse

*DCU has 13 games in the next 7 weeks, the main competitors for the last play-off spots have 7 or 8.

*Quakes which didn't exist a year ago will have a stadium before DC United.

*Huckerby is good. Surprised he didn't do better in the Republican primaries.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 7, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

I'd prefer not to comment on the DC - SJ game because my mother told me if I didn't have anything nice to say about something, I should keep my mouth shut.

DC sucked.

Sorry Mom.

Posted by: Snarky | September 7, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

IMHO Martinez was responsible for both goals. First coughing up the ball to Heckerbee. Second for ball watching while Huckerbee slipped past.

"Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio," I mean Ryan Nelsen . . . [presence,organization of the back line].

Still time to make a run, but there is only so long TS can keep saying that.

Posted by: MR Caretaker | September 7, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Very poor performance by DC. Without Jaime, we have NO OFFENSE. Gallardo is suffering from a DENILSON complex. "I just can't get it done" He should return his paycheck.

Posted by: Mike | September 7, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

thank you Mr. Caretaker, at least you were watching.
I love Martinez, and I do know everyone makes mistakes, but without a doubt #23 was responsible for the 2nd goal.
Everyone has bad days, I just don't want to read about how Martinez is the only player playing worth a crap when he too, can obviously crap the bed.

Posted by: dadryan | September 7, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Anyone still calling for Nelsen needs to grow up.

Might as well pine for John Terry.

Or Ronaldo, while you're at it. Jeez.

It was a good, entertaining game featuring a decidedly 'B' team against the hottest team in teh West right now. Overall, the young guys played well, which is testament to Tommy and Chad's coaching. Santino had a moment of brilliance, thus cementing his place in my head as one of the great stories in a season that has lacked them.

You know, in the back of my head, I recall 2004 where we stumbled all year until the last 8 games or so and then surged. If we can get all the chess pieces healthy, I would be really excited about our chances this year.

Posted by: viv | September 7, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@viv:

If.

Posted by: Ron | September 7, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

@viv

I'm with you. Your optimism is refreshing among a bunch of grumpy mofos.

Posted by: dadryan | September 7, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Player Ratings (only from what I was seeing on the TV, which I admit isn't much):
Crayton -7- made some key stops wasn't really at fault for either goal
Martinez -4- was poor by his standards
Burch -5- No Comment Really
McTavish -3- Increadibly lazy defending, just let people keep dribbling at him.
Simms -6- Played ok
Quaranta -6- Didn't see much from him other than the goal
Gallardo -6- Saw some good things, but his rustiness is clear
Doe -2- Why was he even put on the field?
Dyachenko -7- Was probably DC's best field player, which really says something about our performance.
Thompson -4- Didn't add anything