Matchnight: United-Galaxy

Greetings again from Carson.

United has gone 7-8-2 in all competitions since smashing the Galaxy, 4-1, at RFK on June 29. Subtract two victories over USL teams in the U.S. Open Cup, and they're down to 5-8-2. Compounding their problems -- or perhaps triggering their problems -- has been the injuries, which continue to impact the lineup.

Tonight, no Olsen, Gallardo, Vide and probably no Peralta, who made the trip but seems more likely to play Wednesday at Marathon.

Meantime, the Galaxy is aiming to end a winless streak that has stretched more than three months.

Back soon with DCU's lineup and subs.

DCU LINEUP: Crayton; Namoff, McTavish, Burch, Martinez; Fred, Simms, Quaranta, Guerrero; Khumalo, Emilio. Subs: Wells, Zaher, Thompson, Kirk, Cordeiro, Dyachenko, Doe.

LA LINEUP: Wicks; Klein, Franklin, Roberts, Jazic; Beckham, Vanney, Donovan, Lewis; Buddle, Gordon. Subs: Saunders, Allen, Franchino, Jordan, McDonald, Vagenas, Valentin.

HDC scenes: Several Star Wars storm troopers are here -- promotional purposes, not Beckham security guards. ... Maybe my eyes are going bad, but the center circle appears lopsided. ... Folks with picnic blankets on the grass hill behind the north goal. ... Big crowd, we'll see if it's a real sellout or an announced sellout.

As usual, this is the place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion. Feel free to assess the other MLS matches as well.

By Steve Goff  |  September 20, 2008; 9:13 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: TV, Anyone?
Next: United-Galaxy, the Aftermath

Comments

I've got a bad feeling about this one.
But then I also have a good feeling about this one.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

anyone want a shot at the over/under on this one? Seven?

If I have the availability right I think we'll be ok.

Posted by: Northzax | September 20, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully this game won't be as nearly as disastrous as the one two years ago...

Posted by: Chicken Little | September 20, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I would take the under, unless dc scores at least 6. We have Crayton in goal!!!
GO UNITED

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 20, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Any where online to watch?

Posted by: Benny | September 20, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

I've got a bad feeling about this one.
But then I also have a good feeling about this one.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 9:44 PM
===============

I'm hooked on a feeling about this one.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 20, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm high on believing

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 20, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I get to make my first DC game on Oct. 4th. I have not been to a United game since leaving JMU (a while ago). Any good suggestions about where to go pregame, or other things going on that weekend?

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 20, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Given our form on the road I am not too optimistic but we need a big road win. Both glamour boys will be playing for the Galaxy. Lets hope they are bad again.

Posted by: sbg | September 20, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

KC's win means our gap is down to 1 point, as if this game wasn't important enough. Who said MLS regular season games were meaningless?

Speaking of the Wizards and their win, Toronto looks like they've given up. Guevara is doing his typical late-season flameout, they had no fight in midfield, and Tyrone Marshall was responsible for both goals conceded. Carver pulled out the "get ejected to motivate the troops" trick, which did little. Stick a fork in them, folks.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 20, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I think I've figured out the new Limarzi link:

Posted by: The Jeff | September 20, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait for all these debby downer "dcu fans" to realize that thoughts are molecules one of these days...
I'll admit that I am skeptical about McT and Burch paired in central defense, but LA's D is worse.
Score early and often gang and we'll all be all right.
Vamos United!

Posted by: dadryan | September 20, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Any where online to watch?
Posted by: Benny | September 20, 2008 10:03 PM

TVU Channel 21500 Soccer

****************************
Posted by: dc in asheville | September 20, 2008 10:21 PM

Both the Barra Brava and Screaming Eagles supporter's groups have pre-game tailgates. Check out their websites for more info.

Posted by: helpful info | September 20, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

They have DC with a back 3 and Martinez as part of a 5 player midfield.

Also, since when is Vanney a midfielder?

Posted by: fsc confused? | September 20, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

@dc in asheville: lot 8 is always a good time, join the big parties, or roll your own:-)
@ The Jeff: I don't need that link tonight, but good looking on the informative stance my man!
@ Chest Rockwell: Remember the guy the other day talking about points "we could drop"?
It's nice to see so much contention in my opinion, if anything is good for the league it's that. Let's just hope the Black and Red are the victors in this last stretch.

Posted by: dadryan | September 20, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks helpful info. Can't wait

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 20, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Esky just scored against Rimando.......as Rimando made a stupid foray out to about the 25 yard line to attack a bouncing ball his defender could have handled. Instead Rimando clangs into defender, ball bounces free to Esky who walks it to the line then hammers it into the nettting.
Ahhh I miss Nicky and his silly leaps.
Good to see Esky on the score sheet.

Posted by: marksman | September 20, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Starting a new drinking game:

A drink for each time a player says "you know" in a pregame or postgame interview.

Posted by: MK | September 20, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

chest: but let's not forget, a win puts us a point (and at least four goals) up on the cows, who would then be fighting for their lives, being only three points clear.

Posted by: northzax | September 20, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan, you got a spare fixed gear to share for the weekend can't bring mine on the flight. If not no rolling good times.

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 20, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Vanney is a def MF these days

DCU will play 4-4-2

Posted by: Goff | September 20, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Anyone got a live feed? I cant get that TVU channel thing to work

Posted by: Anthony The Great | September 20, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

fsc confused?:

They screwed up DC's lineup. They do that from time to time. FSC is professional in that people are paid employees, but that's about it. Vanney has been used as a defensive midfielder by LA since Arena came in. He's not useless with the ball, and his slowness is masked in central midfield.

dadryan:

I didn't see that comment, but the only way you can defend that opinion is if you've been to the future and found that we win our last 5 games.

***

That gap, at the moment, is now goal differential. Chivas would finish with 33 points, -5 (we're on 33, +1).

Interesting lineup from LA. Clearly, they're going for an aerial bombardment with Donovan likely trying to pick up second balls. Simms is going to have to be really sharp. I think the key is going to be possession for us. If the game is hectic and disjointed, Beckham and Lewis fill find the ball and put in crosses and high balls, which will be exactly what LA wants. If we can take care of the ball, the game will be played on our terms.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 20, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

northzax:

I like your attitude. This is a great opportunity for us tonight.

MK:

I was thinking of starting a drinking game about how many times FSC announcers refer to LA players by their first names or otherwise indicate pro-LA feelings. I don't think I have enough beer.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 20, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Live from the Front Range . . man, Kansas took a decade to drive . . .

"Subtract two victories over USL teams in the U.S. Open Cup, and they're down to 5-8-2"

Negativist media! Those Open Cup victories are nothing to be ashamed of. Notice young Khumalo, a "veteran" of USL 2. Those players and teams are talented. The backhand swipe? Not so much.

Posted by: delantero | September 20, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Bretos - Both teams pretty close to full strength??!!

Posted by: MK | September 20, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

We want the league to gain respect around the world, but I'm not sure that a storm trooper in the pregame photo is the way to go.

Posted by: MK | September 20, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

What's with all the smoke?

Posted by: Smoke Up | September 20, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

MCGOAL!

Posted by: MK | September 20, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Man. I was firign up the blog and missed the goal in real time.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 20, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Guessing smoke is from the pre-game storm trooper promo

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Now Mctavish won't have to worry about getting laid.

Posted by: DCU | September 20, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Boyzzz doing really well so far, but getting away with the foul on Beckham.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 20, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Beckham = Big baby, waaawaaawaaa

Posted by: DCU | September 20, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I need help with a live feed. There use to be a website but I cant remember it for the life of me right now. Please someone! haha

Posted by: Kenny | September 20, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

FSC = Beckham Tantrum Channel.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

just lost the audio feed from 1050 AM. I have no feed TVU does not work with my mac

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 20, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

The Internet audio feed momentarily switched to one of 1050's sister stations, but it is back to Limarzi now.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 20, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

myp2p or livefooty might have a link

Posted by: websites | September 20, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

BS caution on Simms.

What's up with Crayton?

Posted by: Glenn | September 20, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

"Clean challenge by Simms, but definitely a foul"

-FSC commentator

Posted by: ? | September 20, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Donovan again makes Crayton look silly. His positioning is horrible. When will DC United get a legitimate keeper?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

GOTW anyone?

Back four: play high and get burned by speed. Play low and give Beckham and Donovan time.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 20, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I had a bad feeling about this match. Without Moreno we got nobody to hold possession.

Speed has killed our backline for years.

Posted by: Glenn | September 20, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

where is Quaranta? Since he got hurt he has totally disappeared.

Posted by: Glenn | September 20, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Quaranta is making bad passes.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

thank god there won't be any "extraneous" competitions next year...(except for whatever the US OPEN CUP gets them)

Posted by: birdy | September 20, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Goodbye Tom Soehn. It was nice knowing you for the moron you are. I would like to add that four wing defenders in a 4 man backline equals goals for the oppostion. Namoff and Burch are not central defenders. Why would you leave a trained central defender, Janicki, home after you have just acquired him. Why would you leave Koroma home? I mean this man is a moron to the nth degree. I am so glad I don't have to look at his ugly ass mug next season. Also KP needs to cut Gallardo next year and bring in some youth. This team cannot defend and/or possess the ball anymore. I blame Soehn and Gallardo. Soehn's lineups have been awful and Gallardo has not been worth the money. All this said there are some upsides:
1. Quaranta
2. Vide
3. Guerrero
4. Boyzzz if he sticks around
5. Gonzalez
I hope the front office does not give Soehn another chance. He is just plain stupid. I give him credit for winning a cup and surviving many of these injuries, but he does not know how to put out a winning 11. It is painful to watch his substitution patterns as well. Rod Dyachenko stinks!

Posted by: Soehn Rules! | September 20, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

God D**n our defense just flatout sticks. Three goals and another 3 that should have been.

That said in the new stadium that may someday be built for us, I want a field this large, it really makes for some nice flowing play.

Posted by: Wyrm | September 20, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

We really miss Vide as a d-mid in this match. Why isn't Martinez playing center back? Why not give Carroll some minutes in that position...it couldn't get much worse.

Posted by: dcarmy | September 21, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

I find it funny that Soehn is playing the two outside backs as center backs and the two center backs as outside backs.

Posted by: GoUnited | September 21, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Fire Soehn

Posted by: DCAustinite | September 21, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

so does Landycakes now have the most goals scored against DC United?

If you cant beat them, buy them! Lets drop our non existent DP and grab Landycakes.

Still the best player in America.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 21, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

NOW.

Posted by: dcu | September 21, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Blaming Gallardo for the team's recent play is like blaming, oh I don't know, Joseph Stalin. Or Papa Smurf. Or the dog that tells you to kill. Get off the internet, and go to a mental ward.

***

Great first 10 minutes for us, followed by a so-so 10 minutes, followed by a complete meltdown. As much as I hate Little Lord Donovan in a Galaxy shirt, he nearly always brings his very best against us, and he's doing it tonight. Great run and finish on the first goal (from a brilliant Klein through ball), and a Goal of the Week winner on the shot from outside the box. Simms is really struggling to keep up with his speed and his clever runs, while our defense sags back and loses out to Gordon and Buddle in the air. The third goal was just a series of errors: Crayton doesn't hold it, Burch gets a chance to clear but instead plays a soft ball across the middle (which is a no-no for u10s), Crayton gets another chance to hold the ball, and finally Gordon puts an end to the silliness.

This game is not over, but things have to change immediately. Quaranta either needs treatment for his leg (took studs above the ankle from Wicks, which is extremely painful) or we've got to sub him out. Khumalo can play on the right side, so maybe we bring in Doe. If it's Dyachenko in a straight swap, this game is over and I'm killing every bottle of booze I can find. We need to use the fact that their defenders are under orders to step up early to our advantage. Emilio needs to display a better first touch, lay the ball back, and then go over the top for a winger or forward. We also need to get Guerrero back involved, since he was doing so much damage earlier.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 21, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

If Dyachenko is played, I will put in my vote for Tom.

Posted by: DYAHELL | September 21, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

BOYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: GoUnited | September 21, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

BOYYYYYZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: BOYYYZZZ | September 21, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Now that was bad positioning by the GK

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 21, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Tino as the 10 is just a horrible idea. He does not have the skill or vision to hold the ball or control the game. He coughs it up under pressure and the Gals know this. But in typical Soehn fashion, what does he do? Does he learn from the Saprissa game? No. He just up and places Tino right back in that position.

Oh, and that D? There aren't enough explatives for me to define it.

We are ravaged by injuries and a schedule that could only have been designed by the kind of incompetents that are only bred in MLS HQ. BUT Soehn has not impressed me with management of this side. He just does not seem capable of properly challenging the talent that he has. That is why I have and still maintain that he must go.

Oh goal Boyzzz...sweet, but I am still miffed!!

Posted by: Kosh | September 21, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

welcome to the league, mr. boyzzz

Posted by: northzax | September 21, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

The Monrovian Mauler? Max needs decaf.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 21, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

how can a coach who made his trade in defense, lead a defense that is this poor game after game? time to go, soeh, time to go...

Posted by: birdy | September 21, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

"Now that was bad positioning by the GK"

I can only laugh at how bad his positioning was, lol

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Kosh, who would you suggest in the 10 spot?

Posted by: northzax | September 21, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, could you simply imagine the HISTRIONICS which would occur if ANY of the galaxitive players suffered TWO RED CARD offenses in a game, and made "bad passes". wick and gordon should both be off as of the 54th minute. Glad I've got a mute button to avoid hearing the man love of LA from bretos et. al.

Posted by: chris | September 21, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Holy crap!

Red card? On that!

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 21, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Quaranta as the 10 has been one of the few bright spots for DC recently. He struggles tonight began only after the injury.

Posted by: hoyanick | September 21, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

that is not a red card. ever. The linesman is right there there is absolutely no excuse to make a decision like that he should be banned for life.

Posted by: GoUnited | September 21, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Here we go, not even a foul, and Burch sees a red card... Give me a break. And now comparisons to beckam's deserved and premeditated red card in the world cup.... wow. this is super great - and stil no cards issued with Santino receiving the true treatment. Joke.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Terry Vaughn has completely screwed this match. He has let almost everything go and then he sends Burch off for that little crap!?!?!?!?

Beckham needs get sent off too for his BS crap.

Posted by: Glenn | September 21, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

After Goldwaite's kicks the other night, that becomes a red card.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 21, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Two games now, that D.C. United has been jipped by the refs.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

I didn't know the beckham camp could change the color of cards! Amazing!

Posted by: GoUnited | September 21, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Payne needs to make a bold statement on this.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hoyanick | September 21, 2008 12:28 AM

Struggles tonight?

He seems to be one of three players who are actually trying...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

good effort from tino

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

What kind of statement is Payne going to make. It's not like he can state the obvious, which is that the MLS officials know damn well that Beckham is their meal ticket and must be protected at all costs. Integrity of the game, who needs that, we need Beckham in the playoffs to sell TV ads

Posted by: Wyrm | September 21, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Does Moreno travel with his family?

Isn't his son around 9 now? He should be ready for MLS and we still have three subs left.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 21, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I read the Washington Post. I still don't get it.

Posted by: Max Bretos | September 21, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Goff getting props on FSC

You should give yourself a 9 rating for tonight.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 21, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

"MLS officials know damn well that Beckham is their meal ticket and must be protected at all costs"

At the cost of the integrity of the game?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Down a man with Burch out and you take out Martinez? ??

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 12:44 AM | Report abuse

anon: 4-2 is the same as 3-2...

Posted by: northzax | September 21, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Game OVER

Awesome play by Donovan.

MOTM

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 21, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

I hope Martinez is not hurt. No defenders no wonder they get another goal. I am actually glad I cannot watch this game.

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 21, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

as I said...

Posted by: northzax | September 21, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I'm annoyed so perhaps my sarcasm was ill-stated. The MLS has no integrity. However, it is impossible for an employee of an MLS team to so state, regardless of how obvious.

Posted by: Wyrm | September 21, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Ohh yeah Rod is in.

Why on earth did we take Martinez out of this game? Did we want them to score more goals?

Posted by: Fire Soehn | September 21, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

take Emilio or Fred out

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 21, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

NOOOOO DYASTINKO!!!!!!!!

-BEWARE-

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Burch got sent off for the same offense that led to a red for Goldthwaite. Get over your persecution complex and accept that your team isn't very good.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 21, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Rod for Tino? yeah, we just surrendered.

Posted by: northzax | September 21, 2008 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Bad feed on TVU, bad game anyway. I'm going to bed.

I don't know why I bother sometimes. With red cards like that, who needs objective announcers? the whole thing is slanted to give LA a playoff berth, and the announcers don't have the guts/knowledge to call them out on it...LAME

jw

Posted by: Berwyn Heights United | September 21, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

That same idiot linesman misses the obvious offsides call. I hope he never refs again.

Posted by: GoUnited | September 21, 2008 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Another jipping! That's 3 now to DC

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

MJ - the players that are out for us could take your team to the cleaners.

Posted by: GoUnited | September 21, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

If it's United and Galaxy for the final playoff spot, who goes?

Posted by: Glaucon | September 21, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

what was that, like 8 feet offsides?

Posted by: northzax | September 21, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

i have problems with MLS compromising integrity of the game.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

northzax, good question...with this patchwork team I am not so sure. But I would have given Fred the nod being that is his natural position. But he is also no Jaime. I dunno, it just is not Tino's position, especially with the way we play with the ball.

This is a most painful night.

Posted by: Kosh | September 21, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

So who do we have to pick up to get that kind of ref support? I would love for a ref to turn a blind eye on offsides calls and eliminate players from the other team. I didn't get to see any of the play but Tony's normally pretty fair with his commentary.

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 21, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

If you stake your season on a roster full of players with serious injury histories, don't complain when your team falls apart.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 21, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

The sky has fallen.

Posted by: ML | September 21, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

I dont understand how Gordon gets only a yellow for the tackle from behind against quaranta, yet Burch gets a REd. You tell me what yo think. and again like everyone has already stated, DC rested there supposed injuerd players against sapprissa to play like this. good job Tommy, great job. Beckahm is a Twat

Posted by: dc fan | September 21, 2008 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Poor choice of card? Yes. Smart play? Absolutely not. Burch should know better than doing that kind of crap to Beckham at that spot on the field. Even if it was a yellow, you are still allowing Beckham a free kick from that position. All he has to do is usher Becks out for the throw in, but nope. He had to go and get a typical Burch-style red card. Again it was not a red, a yellow yes but how can Burch look his teammates in the eye after that one?

Posted by: Kosh | September 21, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Does Juan Leche have a thing for us or what? If I recall NY just got burned on Thurseday, so much for him to talk.

Juan Mastodan is a puppy that has been left out in the wild!!!

Posted by: dc fan | September 21, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

We still have plenty of time to get on track. I have full confidence that we will make the playoffs. I would like to see some of the new Defensive players that we picked up and see if they can help us at all.
Go United!!!

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 21, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

TAMPON JOHN - EQUATING THE TWO IS NOT CORRECT. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EXERCISE YOUR RIGHT TO MAN UP AND PROVIDE YOUR TRUE NAME AND NUMBER TO RECTIFY YOUR REPEATED AND CONTINUOUS LIES - OR, ADMIT THAT YOU, YOUR SUPPOSED CITY AND TEAM ARE WHAT YOU, beckham, bretos AND your ilk ARE, WHICH IS A LIMP "TRICKY DICK" NOODLE. STFU./A$$CLOWN.

Posted by: CHRIS | September 21, 2008 1:11 AM | Report abuse

NY SUCKS, what are you talking about I am an LA FAN

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 21, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

OOOOOOOOO RED BULL MARICON
MARICON, MARICON RED BULL MARICON

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 21, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

MJ that was funny

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 21, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Uh, we lost 3-1 to the best team in the league. You lost 5-2 to the worst, and I doubt you'll make the playoffs.

Look, not that big a deal. Just take your deserved loss with class, instead of whining and pointing fingers.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 21, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

The comparisons between the Goldthwaite red card Thursday night and the Burch red card tonight are not valid. Go back and look at the Goldthwaite incident: his first swipe at Rogers is like Burch's at Beckham, and goes uncalled.

I'll repeat: same thing, no call.

It's Goldthwaite's second hack, with the ball nowhere close and the intent 100% clear, that gets him a deserved red. Burch's foul on Beckham is simply not equivalent. Burch deserved a yellow card and probably a slap upside the head for being an idiot, but red? Absolutely not. If that's any other player in MLS, it's not a red card.

And if it is a red card, how did Gordon stay on the field for his late, studs-up, from behind tackle on Quaranta? Which foul was more likely to cause a serious injury?

All that said, the refs didn't cost us the game, nor do I think there's a conspiracy. Beckham gets the same subconscious bias that home teams get over visitors, and big clubs get over smaller ones. And beyond that, the worst thing on the field wasn't the typically poor MLS officiating; it was just poor defending on our part, combined with a rather run-of-the-mill effort in the attack. Outside of our 2 goals, what did we really offer? Emilio was totally starved of service, Fred seemed rusty, Guerrero was forced back to a defensive role, and both Quaranta and Khumalo were mostly going it alone. Once again, this team simply cannot control a game without Moreno. Khumalo did well in Moreno's absence, but it would be unrealistic to expect him to provide the same level of intelligence and skill. That, combined with a defense stripped of its organizer (Peralta), was why we lost.

I do have to find some positives, if only so I can sleep instead of spend the night fuming. Quaranta showed that Olsen is not the only lion heart in a DC shirt. He gets a cut leg from the studs of Wicks, Gordon recklessly takes him down from behind, and he gave us 82 minutes. Kosh, you can complain that Tino is not a playmaker (he is too loose with the ball, it's true), but with Gallardo out he is the best option. Fred, when tried there, made even more turnovers and doesn't have anywhere close to the good sense defensively or tackling ability that Quaranta does. Fred commits more fouls than anyone on the team playing on the wing; can you imagine how many freekicks he would have conceded tonight?

Peralta and Moreno can't get healthy fast enough. If they're back for the Dallas game, we have every chance of winning that game. I don't even want to think about a loss.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 21, 2008 1:21 AM | Report abuse

I knew this game was lost as soon as I saw the DC lineup.

Namoff is a fullback, call me crazy but maybe he should play that position.

Burch is a disaster in the center of defense. I don't know why Soehn hasn't figured this out yet. Play Burch at LB and Martinez in the center. Martinez has experience in the center, Burch is freaking clueless. None of his skills translate to that position, he sucks in the air, his positioning is dodgy, he's not physical, and on top of everything else, all that he does well with his crossing and attacking instincts are wasted in the center of defense.

McTavish is not a fullback, the only time he's looked like a decent player in his entire DCU career is in the center of defense. Why is he playing fullback? He lacks the agility and footspeed to play that position well, Namoff on the other hand is a gifted fullback. Why not put your players in a position to succeed instead of minimizing their strengths and maximizing their weaknesses?

Every single man on the defensive line with the possible exception of Martinez was playing out of position tonight. Was there any surprise at all that we conceded multiple goals?

I've been stunned with the regression of Soehn's tactical approach this season. Last season I thought he was the best manager in the league. Now I'm just waiting for him to get fired so that we can move forward.

This team is in a shambles, yes the injuries have had a huge impact but we are still immensely talented and we should be playing much better week in and out. This is a poorly managed team, they don't move well off the ball, they don't make smart decisions as a unit and players are out of position and/or shuffled around from game to game. No continuity equals no teamwork, and as evidenced simply by looking at the back four tonight, it's not all about injuries. It's a lack of ability and understanding by the manager.

Posted by: uranderson | September 21, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Chest and northzax have talked some sense into me. When you post the numbers up on the board, Tino is the only guy who comes close to doing something meaningful in the 10 spot with no Jaime or Gallardo. I guess I have just been spoiled with how well Jaime and others have managed that spot over the years that I really expect more from who ever takes it. Tino did the job, but man does he lose the ball and he seems to do it when the team is in it's most vulnerable state.

It just sucks to lose and sucks even more to lose the way we did tonight, especially to LA. There must be a big pow-wow at the end of the season. Someone's gotta pay.

Posted by: Kosh | September 21, 2008 1:30 AM | Report abuse

That was a beautiful display of RUBBISH Reffing. I love how they have these video boards lulling the masses to sleep in LA, so no one sees how much of a whiney crybaby Becks is and out here in DC the piece of junk video screen doesn't even work...
@dcinashville: Do I know you? You sound kinda familiar? I'm am on the tallish side, and don't have that many spares... But... You never know... Fixed gears? What are those?
Mastodon Juan: I'm glad you're back you filthy piece of New Jersey garbage:-)
This game was thrown. That's my excuse. Blame Vegas.

Posted by: dadryan | September 21, 2008 1:37 AM | Report abuse

MASTODork Juan: Goldwaithe is a chumpy little chumpmeister. His red card was a disgrace.
Burch's was a joke.
No Comparison.

Posted by: dadryan | September 21, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Mastodon MAricon, so are you saying your team is better than UNITED?

HEAD TO HEAD THIS YEAR=UNITED
POINT TOTALS NY up by 2 points, but its all relative until the last game of the year=no winner yet
HISTORY HEAD TO HEAD= is that even a question, lol
FANS= I give up way to easy
RETARDS=you are there top prospect

Posted by: dc fan | September 21, 2008 2:55 AM | Report abuse

Personally I like having Mastodon Juan around.

It makes for interesting conversation, diverts my attention away from the real issues, and is good fodder for jokes and name calling.

Sure, there's something lacking in the experience department, and recently ethics (or a lack thereof) have come to the forefront, but who cares? We all know that by November there will be nothing left to make fun of and we'll miss that.

What's the difference between a pig and Mastodon Juan?

Lipstick!
(get it?)

Posted by: spectre | September 21, 2008 3:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 21, 2008 1:01 AM

C. Ronaldo!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2008 3:44 AM | Report abuse

The only reason MJ continues to post on this blog is that he likes all the attention. Either that or he's just plain dumb =D

Posted by: GoUnited | September 21, 2008 4:12 AM | Report abuse

Spectre, there is something definetly lacking in your brain department,and humans ethics{or alack thereof] have come to the forefront, but who cares? WE ALL KNOW THAT INDIVIDUALS LIKE YOU END IN THE PSYCHIATRIC CLINIC, AND WILL NOT BE CALLED "HOMO SAPIENS" A N Y M O R E!!!

Posted by: human | September 22, 2008 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Mastodon... I am curious what animal would you,Spectre, use when describing yourself? Probably something romantic , touching ,and self-loving... To be realistic, no one of DC MANAGERS is going to ask your opinion about changes in the team's squad. Certainly, it's a frustration... for you are "a great representative of your OWN democratic and just society."

Posted by: S.V | September 22, 2008 2:44 AM | Report abuse