Matchnight: USA-T&T

Greetings from Toyota Park.

Havana on Saturday, Bridgeview today, the qualifying journey continues.

You would think a semifinal-round, home qualifier in a soccer-specific stadium on a gorgeous day would draw a nice crowd regardless of the opponent. Nope. We're looking at around 10,000 tonight. That's not a typo: 10,000. Maybe. Hmmm.....

I will be back later with the USA lineup and subs. Defenders Michael Orozco and Marvell Wynne have been scratched.

UPDATED.....

USA LINEUP: Howard; Cherundolo, Bocanegra, Onyewu, Pearce; Dempsey, Kljestan, Bradley, Donovan, Beasley; Ching. Subs: Guzan, Califf, Hejduk, Edu, Clark, Lewis, Johnson.

T&T LINEUP: Phillip; Edwards, Telesford, Thomas, Gray, Hislop; Leon, Edwards, Theobald, Daniel; Glen. Subs: Williams, James, Lawrence, Baptiste, Toussaint, Scotland, Wolfe.

The formation will probably be the same as the Cuba game -- a 4-2-3-1 with Kljestan and Bradley holding behind Donovan and Beasley and Dempsey on the flanks with Ching as the target man.

As usual, this is the place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.

Bring it.

By Steve Goff  |  September 10, 2008; 6:04 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU's African Connection
Next: USA-T&T, the Aftermath

Comments

Re: Attendance
Despite Chicago being the home of USSF, I hope they learn their lesson and schedule more qualifiers in DC. Well, that's the lesson I would teach anyway. Are you paying attention Prof. Gulati?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

The USSF does realize this isn't an Open Cup game, right? They're supposed to care about promoting this one.

Posted by: zilla | September 10, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Can I watch on TV?

Posted by: Bree | September 10, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

ESPN2, Galavision

Posted by: Goff | September 10, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

WTF is wrong, Chicago!?

Posted by: Steve | September 10, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Two factors against the game: 1) The promotion here has been non-existant. Just the usual emails through ticketing and club lists.

2) If memory serves me correctly, pre-Hex games have never been a draw.

Posted by: scavendish | September 10, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Howard
Dolo - Bocanegra - Goochi - Pearce
Bradley - Edu
Klijsten
Donovan - Dempsey
Ching

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I remembered the match was tonight, but couldn't remember where or when... I checked the USSoccer website just to make sure it wasn't at RFK and that I couldn't make it.

Posted by: sitruc | September 10, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Goffer - how are the locals treating you? I hear things, at least politically, are a bit nervy in Chicago right now

Posted by: diego r. | September 10, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

10K, WOW! that's pathetic

Posted by: Thora | September 10, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Lineup is in.

-----------------------Howard---------------------
Cherundolo---Onyewu--Bocanegra(c)---Pearce
---------------Kljestan----------Bradley---------
----Dempsey---------Donovan---------------Beasley
--------------------------Ching----------------------

Posted by: Ted | September 10, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Did you see the lineup? No pair of def mids? Did BB lise his mind?

Posted by: Nick | September 10, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I dont recall only 10k at a qualifier in RFK, AM I WRONG? I am sure Columbus would have gotten more. Chicago stinks

Posted by: dc fan | September 10, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

so is it Donovan and Ching up top (you have Beasley listed as both a MF and a F)

Posted by: Russ | September 10, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see Michael Bradley finally getting a shot in the midfield. This guy has really paid his dues to get there.

Posted by: donkeyrichard | September 10, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, there is no reason to go back to Chicago if this is the type of support the USMNT finds while they go.

Between this and the US fans pathetic Gold Cup performance, the USMNT can find far better places to play than there.

Posted by: Kyle | September 10, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Bradley is the most conservative coach in US history. I am glad that he has the result in mind, but wake up. One forward at home is pathetic!

Posted by: McCain and Bradley | September 10, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Didn't they do better at Soldier Field for attendance? Bridgeview is close to nothing, as I recall from my 1 visit there. Still, nice facility...

Posted by: JkR | September 10, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Here'a an idea US Soccer, charge a max of $35 for tix! You f--kheads, I won't even pay $90 for midfield seats for a CONCACAF semifinal WC qualifier, nor should I!

Posted by: Adam | September 10, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

ya dude get real, like they'd draw that much more at rfk ON A WEEK NIGHT against T&T don't flatter yourself goff. oh wait does dc even have a SSS? ...

Posted by: MarkVA | September 10, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

of course they would draw more on a weeknight at rfk against t&t..

Posted by: mizage | September 10, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

JP's talking is so dry. Talks too much.

Posted by: td | September 10, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

"Bradley is the most conservative coach in US history."

McCain and Bradley,

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you didn't watch much of the Bora Milutinovic era.

Posted by: Ben | September 10, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

ummm yeah RFK would have a minimum of 20k to the US nats play anyone.

Hopefully this is the last US nats game to be played in Chicago.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 10, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Why doesn't Convey play with National Team lately?

Posted by: JAP | September 10, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

US fans just copied United's OH Unted song changing USA. At least something other than USAUSAUSA.

Posted by: td | September 10, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

MICHAEL BRADLEY IS THE BEST USMNT DMID EVER!!!

Posted by: Ben | September 10, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey ESPN. just shut that helmet update off. It's over loaded all the time. You can spare during the real football game.

Posted by: td | September 10, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

that was a nice play and nice goal but then again T&T looks not so good.

Posted by: td | September 10, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

now we are two up. Let's see some flare and speed play. bottom line some creativity and see how it works.

Posted by: td | September 10, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see ESPN using a homer from each side fir this match, rather than the usual US-only homer.

Somewhat kidding, Hislop is a decent analyst.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I think Hislop for Harkes would be a welcome permanent switch for the Mouse family of networks.

Posted by: Ben | September 10, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

The nicest thing that Hislop has said, so far, about his erstwhile team is that they are young.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Hislop blogs weekly (more or less) for the UK Guardian online.

Here's his take on Revs-Joe Public:

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 10, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Hislop seems to understand that an analyst is there to have opinions and be forceful with them. Harkes keeps calling for replays on every play whereas Hislop just says that's a pen.

Ching is still very lacking in the attacking dept. He's fine at holding up the ball but he almost seems to get in the way when Dempsey, Donovan and Beasley are flowing into the box.

Posted by: Jared | September 10, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

As of now, Roy Keane is the most hated man among T&T fans. Yorke would likely have forced Kljestan and Bradley to spend more time near midfield.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

In case anyone's looking for the US game online, it's free and good quality on espn360.com.

Has anyone else noted that Jaime is starting in the just-underway Brazil-Bolivia match?????

Posted by: speculation | September 10, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

2-0 USA at halftime.
Still not looking fully confident. Ching or Beasley --subs?

Posted by: Football_Fan | September 10, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice that when ESPN was showing results from other WC qualifiers, when they showed Italy-Georgia they showed the Italian flag and the flag of THE STATE OF Georgia?

Posted by: Icky | September 10, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

You know what subs would be really dumb right now? Cooper/Altidore for Ching and Adu for Klejstan. Good thing that can't happen.

Posted by: Ben | September 10, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Beasley is doing awright. He doesn't have a right foot and some of those crosses curved back out, or else he would have been through to goal. Ching should have done better with his chances. Those balls were right to him.

We might see Dempsey subbed out, just because he's done his job.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

TO JAP:
"Why doesn't Convey play with National Team lately?"

I can only fathom how you've come to like Bobby Convey as a "good or great" player.

Posted by: JAP--Instigator | September 10, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

the flag of THE STATE OF Georgia?

Posted by: Icky | September 10, 2008 9:08 PM
==============

Miss Teen South Carolina is an intern in Bristol.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I knew that flag didn't look right when they showed Georgia's. Doesn't Georgia's look similar to England's with the cross of St. George. Well done ESPN.

Posted by: Jared | September 10, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Convey was basically injured for two years; came back with the MNT last spring prematurely and didn't do well. He had a great preseason with Reading; started all of their games and was playing well until the last couple of weeks when Stephen Hunt won back the left wing position. In my mind he was playing well enough to have been called up - better than either Lewis or Beasley who haven't had playing time but he seems to be on the outs with Bradley

Posted by: Beckster | September 10, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Republic of Georgia

State of Jawja

And I get to type vexillology again.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Beas to Gooch to Ching.

Flag stays down

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

We just learned from Harkes that the first save is very important.

Posted by: Ben | September 10, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

At least Harkes isn't saying "briliant" every other word.

Posted by: Look on the bright side | September 10, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

mex-can still a niller

Posted by: mizage | September 10, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Is there really a problem with me wearing the new home jersey and my embroidered mickey mouse ears while I watch?
I'm finding them to be a bit of a good luck charm...

Posted by: dadryan | September 10, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

It's only a problem if you tell us about it.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Sooo, who do you think should be on the roster for the game @RFK?

Posted by: dadryan | September 10, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Hislop tired of ragging on T&T. Now criticizes the US (rightfully) for the anemic play.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

@dadryan

EJ for sure.
but definitely not young bradley; he's just there tonight because his dad's the coach.

Posted by: dcpaddy | September 10, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Unless EJ is shagging balls please don't bring him to RFK!

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 10, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

oops.

Posted by: dadryan | September 10, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

10k? Atlanta could pull that.

I want a WCQ down here!

Posted by: RK | September 10, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

anyone notice Dempsey's accent and demeanor change through his interview depending on who he was talking to?

Posted by: dadryan | September 10, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't forget props to Dempsey. That's three goals in three quallies, right?

Posted by: Ben | September 10, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

"Why does ESPN think that the viewers of this match care so enough about NFL injury reports to need immediate info? Are any of you changing your NFL fantasy lineup?"

Agreed.

Posted by: Real_Football_lover | September 10, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

word up to Demps, dun!~
No on the NFL fantasy lineup, but I did just transfer Kenny Cooper out for Angel in MLS fantasy...
Did Blanco play in this Mexico/Canada jawn? And what is the score? Are they trying to reduce graphics on the screen or force you to keep watching?

Posted by: dadryan | September 10, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Amen

Also those nfl directtv ads seem a bit, uhm, misplaced.

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 10, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Bravo just scored. 1-0 Mex.

Posted by: Ben | September 10, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

So, now we have home games coming up against Cuba and Guatemala, and a roadie with T&T.

Can we get seven points out of those...or is it too much to ask to go undefeated and untied?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 10, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Mex 1 Can 0 at the hour mark. Mexico just scored on a header by Omar Bravo.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Mexico - Canada on Telemundo. Ch20 on MoCo FIOS.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Here comes Blanco?

Posted by: dadryan | September 10, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Blanco's a reserve, unless he subbed out early.

Posted by: Ben | September 10, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Cuba 1 Guatemala 0. TeleM just flashed the score. Not sure what minute.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

That slo mo replay seemed the show the Mexican #11 jumping before Serioux gets there. Then he cane down grabbing his shin. If anything, he was hit on the toe. Tellow card to Serioux anyway.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

speaking of fantasy, I got rid of that dirt cheap Serioux for good reason weeks ago... Big dude doing dirty work.
Ok, Ok, they are, or are not bringing in Blanco?
OH snap Goal Marquez?

Posted by: dadryan | September 10, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

2-0 Corner from the left side to the near post. Headed in by Rafa Marquez.
Au revoir Canada.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Guatemala ties it at 1

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Canada pulls one back. Ali Gerba heads in a cros from a similarly coiffed and goateed teammate.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

sorry. free kick.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Miss Teen South Carolina is an intern in Bristol.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 9:11 PM

Uhhh, I know her!

Posted by: Glaucon | September 10, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Did Cantor just say Brazil-Bolivia 0-0 final? Seriouxly?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

yeah, he did say that

Posted by: jesse | September 10, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Do you think the Canadian player's have man purses like Gooch?
If we're going to talk about their hair we might as well talk about some accessories!
Here comes Blanco...
GAGGGGHHH!

Posted by: dadryan | September 10, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

that sounded lame, shouldn't be ragging USA's off field fashion sense, when Marquez is giving Blanco the armband and they are rocking the heroin friendly 3/4 sleeve jersey.
Blanco yellow card for diving ? Way to represent your country, capitano!

Posted by: dadryan | September 10, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Blanco in. Gets a yellow for diving in the box. It looks like he tripped though.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Hahahaha!!! Blanco booked for diving.

Posted by: Icky | September 10, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Holy Shiznit!!
Bolivia 0 Brazil 0
Final in Rio with the Bolivians down to 10 men?
WOW, just WOW

Posted by: Thora | September 10, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Jaime and Bolivia tie Brazil 0-0. Huge point!!!

Posted by: Dan in FL | September 10, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

the question isn't can we qualify with this team because obviously we can and will. the question is...can this team do anything to set itself apart from the other sides and go deep into the world cup? with qualifying being so easy, bradley will have plenty of opportunity to bring the talented younger players into the team for some quality minutes. for example, altidore had a hat trick for villarreal the other day. he needs to play.

Posted by: joe average | September 10, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a Bolivian got a straight red (52'). Jaime, who was carrying a yellow from earlier in the match was pulled 4 minutes later for a defender.

Can't imagine that teh Brazilian federation is content with Dunga after a home draw to a 10-man team.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

And if you can trust the soccernet stats they only outshot Bolivia 5-4. Bolivia actually had the advantage in SoG.

Posted by: Ben | September 10, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

And if you can trust the soccernet stats...

Posted by: Ben | September 10, 2008 11:18 PM
==============

You doubt the Soccernet stats that show Bolivia with 2 keepers and a 4-3-2?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 10, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

You got to love the way Blanco's international career came to an end, with a booking for diving -- and he probably didn't even deserve it...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 10, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

BTW -- I have to say that was by far the finest game I've ever seen Gooch play. Of course, he wasn't up against any top striker, but he played it clean and still made the plays. Plus, he delivered a great pass over the defense. His game has come a long way.

I didn't get to add this earlier, but it makes perfect sense to me that Bayern is interested in Donovan. Klinsmann loves that whole California MLS vibe. No one else at his level would even think to snap up Martin Vasquez as as an assistant. With Klinsmann's interest in Donovan, I think it would be an excellent place for him to land. Too bad the MLS won't allow it. When's his contract up?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 10, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

ALL YOU FOOLS COMPLAINING ABOUT ATTENDANCE: I DIDN'T SEE YOU AT THE PARK

Posted by: anotherbodymurdered | September 11, 2008 2:21 AM | Report abuse

We are a powerhouse. +5 Goal Differential over these 3 powerhouses. 1 forward lineup looks even worse when that 1 forward stinks. I am glad Ching got the one ball with no one around so he could score. And why does anyone think young players will be called in the next time. 2 games in 5 days again, right?? So since Bob thinks the first game is important then those same players will be there for the second game. Gives any other players one game to make an impression before the final group of 6 starts. Johnson, just awful. Beasley, he used to be an attacking player didn't he??

Posted by: WOW | September 11, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

SOCCER'S TIME HAS COME!

...not quite yet apparently with so few at the park for a World Cup qualifier.

Posted by: Dicks Sporting Goods | September 11, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

@abm:

Shut up.

Posted by: Ron | September 11, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game, and the crowd, while small, was very energetic at least.

The USSF didn't promote this match well at all. They didn't even bother marketing through either of my my kids youth clubs which should be the easiest thing to do. I also don't recall getting anything from the Chicago Fire, and I'm a season ticket holder. Also, no ads until the last few days.

Still a weak turnout. Very disappointed as a local who would like to see more big matches here.

Posted by: dabes2 | September 11, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Can't expect youth teams on a weeknight in September.

Posted by: JkR | September 11, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Chicago hasn't had a qualifier here in 30 years and it will be another 30 years till the next one. I agree with the comments above, there was ZERO advertising and that's the biggest drawback for the ticket sales. NO ONE KNEW IT WAS HAPPENING! The Fire didn't advertize the USSF didn't advertize and the media stayed silent. Come on USSF this is a week night game on the SW side. We need some tie to plan on getting down there. Maybe the next time we get the Nats back in 2025 or so they'll be a serious contender.

Posted by: Fumar | September 11, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse