Midday Kickaround

*Because of my Cuba trip, I did not get a chance to put together our weekly The Good, The Bad, The Coyote Ugly, but I did want to link to this nice goal by RSL at Los Angeles on Saturday night. Though the finish was quality, the combination work was what made it first class.

*Speaking of Cuba, fragile Havana gets hit by Hurricane Ike.

*Chelsea's Michael Essien will be sidelined several months after injuring his ACL while playing for Ghana.

*Hamburg is to die for.

By Steve Goff  |  September 9, 2008; 11:46 AM ET
Categories:  MLS , World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Qualifying Continued
Next: Olsen Sidelined Again

Comments

Hamburg...classic.

Posted by: td | September 9, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

A cemetery. People are just dying to get in there.

Thank you and don't forget to tip your waitress.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 9, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | September 9, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

GOTW has no meaning anymore.

Please, God, let DC be shut out this week so their mental fans can't stuff the ballot box.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 9, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

One of th ugliest of the week. NE losing 2 games by a combined 8-0

Posted by: GLD123 | September 9, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Vote for the excellent Red Bulls goal last weekend. Oh, whoops!

Posted by: Kev | September 9, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Boo Yaa Kev!!!!

Posted by: dadryan | September 9, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

You think they'll let the supporters intern themselves @ the new stadium in Greenbelt? Is spreading ashes on fields illegal in DC? or is that Maryland?

Posted by: dadryan | September 9, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I just posted something about this in the previous thread, but my vote for Coyote Ugly this week goes to MLS for creating this situation:

Posted by: downtown | September 9, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dadryan | September 9, 2008 12:32 PM

Yes, Greenbelt will be a nice resting place after I light myself on fire in front of the Fenty's office.

Posted by: Kev | September 9, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Interesting: New Freddie Mac Chairman is a former soccer guy. John Koskinen, Former Pres. of the US Soccer Foundation, DC's World Cup Host Committee, and former youth parent / coach.

Posted by: JkR | September 9, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

RSL goal smoal.I'm voting for 'Tino for Goal of the Week.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if MLS commish and his party will be able show their faces for that shamfull vision and results.

Posted by: td | September 9, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I've voted for Will Johnson...

Posted by: RK | September 9, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Say what you will about the city and about its woeful fan support (and the actions of the fans that do show up)...but very quietly, the Columbus Crew have assembled a nice little team this year.

I just hope that the Fighting Canaries (!) can represent MLS well in international play next year...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 9, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow... That TFC debacle was worse than I'd realized. They started a delivery truck driver who declined his game check so he could keep playing in his weekly men's league! And then...the first aid people carrying Zach Thornton drop the stretcher!

Klassik.

Posted by: edgeonyou | September 9, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Essien - 5 mos for an ACL tear? Seems mighty optimistic to me, and I'm riding on two replacement ACLs myself.

TFC - amateur shmamateur. The real news is that Chad "Gatorade" Barrett made it through the entire match. If TFC fans thought they had nothing to cheer about, take it from a Fire fan - that's a milestone.

Posted by: Modibo | September 9, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

You think they'll let the supporters inter themselves @ the new stadium in Greenbelt?

Posted by: dadryan | September 9, 2008 12:32 PM
=============

I would pay to see a supporter (or anyone) inter himself. Aside from that, anything can be done under cover of smoke bombs.

Oh dear, I brought that up again. FLAGS! I said FLAGS.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 9, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"Vote for the excellent Red Bulls goal last weekend. Oh, whoops"

Wow. Really? That's all you got? We lost for the first time in seven games, down several key players, and your one week when you outscored us 1-0 is enough for gloating?

Things are getting mightly desperate around here.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 9, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Maybe poplar point can be our cemetery..its pretty obvious there won't be a stadium there any time soon.

Posted by: bobf | September 9, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Get This: I typed inter... I meant interned...But really meant inurned @ Greenbelt...

Guess I learned something new today. It's inurned!
So the question is how can we put down deposits for our very own NICHE in the Greenbelt United COLUMBARIUM?!?!

Posted by: dadryan | September 9, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it interesting that Goff, the DC beatwriter is pointing out RSL's goal, but the idiot DC fans are still voting for their yawner of a run of the mill goal?

Posted by: goal of the weak | September 9, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse