Morning Kickaround

*With two victories in two road matches, the USA is in fine shape to advance to the final round of CONCACAF qualifying for the next World Cup. The soccer has hardly been dazzling -- a pair of blue-collar, 1-0 victories -- but six points is six points. Said Carlos Bocanegra: "There wasn't much soccer played either game. Obviously, we passed a lot toward the end when [Cuba] got tired, but we were just kicking balls and it wasn't pretty but two wins, it doesn't get better than that. That is what we are building on and we are going home to Chicago. We're excited to get three more points there to set us up nice."

You can read my complete match report here.

*The CONCACAF competition is beginning to take shape with the USA, T&T, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Mexico and Honduras the front-runners for the final-round berths.

*D.C. United's up-and-down season continued with a 2-1 loss to surging San Jose. Meantime, the Revs continue to be stuck in a rut, losing 4-0 at first-place Columbus, former Terp Stephen King's goal gave the Fire a 1-0 victory over New York in Juan Carlos Osorio's return to Chicago, and RSL earned a 2-2 draw at Los Angeles, which is winless in 11 straight.

Hurricane Ike is coming. I am out of Havana today (hopefully). Pray for the kind folks of Cuba -- this could get really bad.

By Steve Goff  |  September 7, 2008; 8:07 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , D.C. United , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: United-Earthquakes
Next: Happy Monday

Comments

haha wait for Cuba to come to the first world and find out RFK suffers from the same power outages and decrepid conditions...however we normally can't blame it on the combination of a tropical storm, hurricane and communist dictator.

I heard from papa Fenty that Fenty will be attending the US vs Cuba match at RFK. Maybe he will be embarrassed into another new stadium promise again.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 7, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Manual scoreboard, huh? I didn't get to watch last night's USA-Cuba match, but apparently BSPN2 will be showing it this afternoon at 1:30 p.m. EDT, so I'll have to record it.

Speaking of BSPN2, the Ted Leonis-backed documentary about the Homeless World Cup, Kicking It, will be shown on Tuesday and Wednesday, the latter airing scheduled for immediately after the WCQ match.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 7, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Bad loss to San Jose yesterday.

Posted by: bob | September 7, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Soehn's subs in the first half this season drive me nuts. Why start a guy you don't think can go 90? There were guys who were dying late last night and he was out of subs because he started 2 guys who he knew couldn't play the whole game. That's bush league in my opinion

Posted by: I don't get it | September 7, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I watched the USA game last night. I understand that 3pts is 3pts but that's not going to fly later on. I was disgusted with the way the US played. Were they taking pity on the Cuban team? They seemed like they were just going through the motions. I'm hoping it was just the field conditions. Also Beasley looked completely unfocused. He seems to have lost his spark. Any thoughts?

Posted by: kevin baltimore | September 7, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Forecast right now has it traveling east to west hitting the entire island. Could be devasating. A same that political situation will keep our government from helping ot.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 7, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't think these players seem to be trying very hard because there is very little competition for places. They know that Bradley isn't going to bring in players like Adu, Cooper and Jozy because they are untested and will never get chances under cautious, two d-mids against Cuba Bradley. They can just go through the motions and not lose their place in the lineup.

I don't think that Beasley is unfocused. I think he's just not match fit. Other than the games with the US he has barely played in the past year or so because of injury. It takes these guys a while to get back into it and I don't think that playing on a field like Cuba's helps when a player is still trying to get back to his best. You could see a few bounces that just seemed to get away from him because they didn't bounce right.

Posted by: Jared | September 7, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Who was Soehn supposed to play idongetit? You realize injuries, natlional team duty, and yellow card accumulation all had a hand in who Soehn had available right.
It wasn't so bad, Martinez was pretty bad and Huckerby made him pay. Crayton's maniacal wandering out of the box was pretty unerving, but I find some joy in Santino scoring.
Still happy about the Open Cup victory, and the fact that Red Bulls, and Revs lost yesterday. Columbus just may be unstoppable.
I have faith that United will make the playoffs, with help from the REST of the team.

Posted by: dadryan | September 7, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Off topic: Sounders have signed a Sanna Naissey. Is this Sainey Naissey's twin brother? They appear to have the same birthday. Both midfielders, or is this a typo on the Sounders part? His Bio makes no mention of a brother.
They look like the same person. What's up?

Posted by: dadryan | September 7, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

never mind, Sanna is Sainey's twin. Found that in Sainey's bio on the Revs sight.
I wonder who United will leave unprotected for the next expansion draft?

Posted by: dadryan | September 7, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

As someone said 6 points as visitors is 6 points, but really the way these guys play and the lack of competition for positions make me want to puke.

The conditions had a lot to do with our play but jesus H christ! we were playing against amateurs, AMATEURS

Posted by: Thora | September 7, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I saw Kicking It a few days ago (got an advance copy due to my work). It is very good -- I'd suggest watching it.

Posted by: Ric | September 7, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Hope you are safely back in the USA.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | September 7, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think these players seem to be trying very hard because there is very little competition for places."

I think the real underlying problem is that

Never mind, I give up. WaPo seriously does not work in Opera. It has taken me five minutes just to get this typed

Posted by: Tres | September 7, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

The US play was uninspiring against Cuba. If Donovan is going to disappear in games like he did against Cuba, then someone else needs to play in his place.

As for DC, this is what happens when you have little to no depth. Zaher completely lost his man for the first goal.

Posted by: owendylan | September 7, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

There are no easy WCQ games. one - nil victories are all you can expect against a top notch team.

Posted by: | September 7, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah...Cuban futbol is so top-notch, Granma (the CP daily) doesn't even bother.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. We play in Cuba and the fans cheer after our national anthem. We play in Mexico and the fans boo during our national anthem.

Once our policies toward the island become rational, there are a lot of folks there driving classic cars that will fetch thousands here in the States.

Posted by: seahawkdad | September 7, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Comments like Boca's " it doesn't get better than that", make me sick! How about putting lesser teams away pal?

I seem to recall there was a moment in the 87th minute last night that almost cost us 2 points. No way should we even be in that position.

The boys are soft, uninspired and lazy. No wonder the real teams kick our ass in the World Cup...we play just well enought to bead CONCACAF minnows and think we have accomplished something.

Pathetic.

Bradley, for goodness sakes, select players who care and play with pride, and have that killer instinct.

And Sunil, I hope you're looking for a real coach because when Mexico kicks the crap out of us in the next round, even you will see how soft we have become.

Posted by: yank_who_cares | September 7, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"I wonder who United will leave unprotected for the next expansion draft?"

Dammit, it better be Dyachenko. DC needs to get rid of this USL-2 idiot.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

The Jeff, ESPN had a shot of the manual scoreboard clicking from '0' to '1' for Los Estados Unidos' score. I know it was done by necessity, but it was cool, and it would be neat to see an analog scoreboard in an MLS stadium.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 7, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

And spare a thought for the Cubans, who seemed to be the most gracious fans in CONCACAF, in this time of their need. I look forward to the day when humane concerns will trump political posturing on our side, and economic opportunity and freedom will come to the Cubans in a manner which doesn't sacrifice things like health care and high literacy.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 7, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

All the Dyachenko hatin' has gotten to be a bit to automatic considering he actually played quite well last night. Give credit where credit is due folks, he worked hard and didn't give up and his work rate lead to the goal.

Sure he had some give aways but Emilio has like 1/2 dozen per game and the touch of an elephant but if he scores a goal all is forgiven. Your goat for this one is Gonzo Martinez who got skinned all night and was to blame for both goals.

Posted by: Bsharah | September 7, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I saw Kickin' It at the Silver in June. Definitely worth it.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 7, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm the best player in the history of the MLS and USA soccer.

I should be on the US National team. Pronto.

Posted by: Rod Dyachenko | September 7, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

@owendylan not sure about the Donovan disappearing thing. He was in-the-hole with Ching. Forwards rarely do anything when they don't get service. Did you see how far he tracked back in the second half to get the ball? If Beasley had timed his runs better Landon would have racked up at least one assist.

Posted by: rhybread | September 7, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

oh my goodness, I agree with mj! Credit to Goff and the Post, even our trolls are a class above most other sports blogs' regulars!

Posted by: northzax | September 7, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

To "Rod Dyachenko": The REAL Dyastinko is Russian so Bradley wouldn't call him up if he wanted to. My cat plays better than Dyastinko! SHE'S ONLY 4 MONTHS OLD!!!!!!

Who besides me thinks it's time for Cordeiro or Thompson to start playing a little forward once in a while?

Posted by: person | September 7, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Bsharah. The hatin has gone automatic on Rod.

Posted by: christiannn | September 7, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Bsharah. The hatin has gone automatic on Rod.

Posted by: christiannn | September 7, 2008 7:32 PM

====

Yeah you 2 are right. He doesn't deserve any criticism he gets.

Everyone is so mean to him

Posted by: Rod's Mommy | September 7, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

All the MLS games have decent attendees except SJ v DC. 10k yaks. LA 27k withouth Beckham.

Posted by: td | September 7, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Td,

I think San Jose's stadium can only hold 10k tops

Posted by: Anthony | September 7, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

don't mean to burst yer bubble person but Dychenko may be Russian born but I swear he was raised in Washington state.
I hate to say it but that makes just about as much American than Adu.
Actually probably more American, since he's older and actually went to highschool, and some college...\\\Jus Sayin'...

Posted by: dadryan | September 7, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Cordeiro had two or three incredible chances last night, I would say the first one was what, his first touch and probably the one he should have put away...Trumping Kirk would have been sweet.
Anyone see that 3rd goal that Mexico scored off the corner yesterday?
Maybe we could get some world soccer highlights in our coyote ugly?

Posted by: dadryan | September 7, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

ONe more question: Will there be any sort of television coverage of the CCL match's vs Saprissa or live feed online? Going to the home match is fine, but from my first looks there is nothing available for either legs. What's up with that?

Posted by: dadryan | September 7, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Dyakenko has some sort of weird, unresolved passport status. Remember his first season with us he couldn't travel to canada cuz he didn't have a passport. I think he was born in the former soviet union in a part (the ukraine?) That is not a part of the russian federation.

I have to seond those who are tired of the dyakenko hating. I watched him closely in the open cup and SJ and he didn't play that badly. He is not dumb, just a bit slow. It is as if he can see the play but can't make his do what it needs to do.

Martinez, who I really like, stunk up the joint in SJ.

Posted by: pigman sweet | September 8, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

dadryan: I love your posts but how do you get a chance to watch this much soccer? You seem to know everything that happens in every game. I need your connections man, I wanna get my fix!!

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 8, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

my major beef with Dyachenko is the inaccurate passing. He does have a legit soccer IQ but things just don't seem to go exactly where he wanted. His first touch seems to let him down a little too often as well but I can honestly say that I would do no better. He can play.

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 8, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

sorry pigman sweet for rehashing your post didn't see it till I got done. Sorry for the wrong use of inaccurate in the last post it isn't wrong, just off target

Posted by: dc in asheville | September 8, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

dc in asheville, I just get lucky with the Golazo's when I'm flipping the channel on the weekend. Didn't really watch Mex/Jam but witnessed said 3rd goal by what's his name Borghetti?
my handle says it all, stay at home dad's get to watch a fair amount of soccer if they want to. Not much more than regular folks with dvrs and such, but I must admit that the ESPN family tree has been pretty good to me in 2008. Living in the DC area helps a little too, with the Spanish broadcast action, and a little help from the neighbor with Comcast Digi and the neighbor with Fios.
MLS.livetv thing helps too.
Does anyone know if Fox Soccer is going to pick up this next round of CCL or what?
It would be a shame if they didn't.

Posted by: dadryan | September 8, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Correction: US travelers won't get stamped when arriving in Cuba, but when they return via Mexico, Jamaica, Panama or wherever, their passport can be stamped.

Then the US Customs Agent might notice two stamps in Jamaica over a short period, and the automatic question is... where else did you go?

It happened to me, although I went legally to Cuba.

Posted by: uclacarlos | September 8, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

As a Salvadorean fan who has been watching his team struggle for years, for over a decade, it's good to see their name among the top in the CONCACAF... Even if for a brief moment.

Posted by: Dougg | September 8, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

T&T is a tenuous front-runner in Group A. They still have to play us twice, and Guatemala on the road. Guatemala could easily grab a spot in hexagonal.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 8, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

It's a good thing we took Tony Schmidt ahead of Stephen King in the draft.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 8, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

saw my first game in LA over the weekend, as the Becks and Landycakes-less Galaxy eked out a 2-2 draw.

I haven't been to a game in RFK this year, but is there as much corporate shilling there as there is in the Home Depot Center? Every single thing is sponsored it seems.

On the plus side, lots of soccer mil... uh, soccer moms in the stands. :>

Posted by: odessasteps magazine | September 8, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse