Morning Kickaround

*MLS tonight, New England aims to rebound from a pair of 4-0 defeats and get back into the Eastern Conference race when it hosts Chivas USA. The Revs are participating in Operation Soccer Ball, a humanitarian effort to spread goodwill by distributing soccer balls to children in Iraq. All fans attending tonight are encouraged to bring deflated balls for collection at each of the gates.

*Forbes takes a look at MLS finances and the league's most valuable clubs.

*Racial issues at a match in Europe? You don't say!

*Georgetown still has not lost and still has not conceded a goal. The Hoyas (5-0) defeated Stony Brook, 1-0, to set a program record for consecutive shutouts and secure their best start in 10 years.

*I will be talking USA soccer and MLS on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live" tonight around 5:30 p.m. The show runs from 5 until 6.

*Peru scores a late equalizer for a 1-1 tie with Argentina:

By Steve Goff  |  September 11, 2008; 9:32 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , College Soccer , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-T&T, the Aftermath
Next: Slow Day? Q&A

Comments

1ST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

trackstanding on the podium?

Posted by: dadryan | September 11, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

SG - Any chance that DCU will have Koroma or Khumalo signed by Friday and in uniform on Saturday? I would assume Koroma will have the obligatory wait time for a visa but Khumalo has trained with the team and has been in the USA playing soccer all summer so it seems as if he could dress for the game.

Posted by: Sylvester | September 11, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Off topic: RFK gets an NCAA bowl game. Nowhere in the article is DC United mentioned as the sole tenant. In fact, an uneducated reader my infer, from the quote below, that RFK has been unused since the baseball team left.

RFK Stadium has not hosted a football game since 2001, but the stadium is equipped to handle the game, said Troy Scott, stadium manager for the D.C. Sports & Entertainment Commission.

"When we had our field resurfaced after baseball left, we made sure we had enough grass in place we could actually host a football game," Scott said. "Our plan was to get a college game or two and this is actually good timing for it."

So, let me get this straight. When the Nats left, the groundskeeping plan was not to redo the field for soccer, which takes up more surface area than gridiron, but to have "...enough grass in place we could actually host a football game..." [sigh]

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 11, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

At the moment, neither new player is eligible. That could change by Saturday morning. Khumalo has been with the team and would be ready to play. The other guy was supposed to arrive today.

Posted by: Goff | September 11, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

thanks for the Forbes linky. Going through their "In Pictures" slideshow was very interesting. Poor Columbus.

Posted by: downtown | September 11, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Bojan made his Spanish debut, finally.

Posted by: RK | September 11, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

RANDOM STADUIM Q: the FINAL frame in the YouTube clip of Peru/Arg reveals a FAN FRIENDLY estadio with VERY STEEP seating. Where is this and is it renown for being a great venue?

Posted by: another ron | September 11, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RK | September 11, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Here's something for the morning kick around. A 10-man Bolivian squad (which included Jaime Moreno) tied Brazil in Rio last night in the qualifiers. No complaints about altitude this time Brazil, go cry to your mamas.

Posted by: Springfield | September 11, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Forbes very interesting.

*The 13 teams posted an operating loss of $20 million on revenue of $165 million.

*"Soccer United Marketing, a separate business owned by investors in the league, runs the league’s national television deals ($23 million last season from ESPN, Fox, HDNet and Univision), as well as the commercial rights to a bevy of soccer properties (such as the U.S. rights to the FIFA World Cup). Yet SUM distributed less than $1 million to each team last season."

Posted by: OWNTF | September 11, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The Brazil game in Rio with a man up no less to the last place Bolivians was quite shocking, as was that dagger by the Peruvians in injury time, and the rebound from a 3 nil home loss by Chile to a 4 nil troucing of Colombia.

I wish we were in CONCACAF =(

Posted by: Thora | September 11, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

The league should fold the failed Chivas USA team. They have no following, its an ongoing train wreck. MLS should relocate Columbus, a team playing the best soccer in the league right now but still no one goes to their games. What an embarassment. Colorado is just a disaster. Fold or relocate.

DCU needs a stadium. Greenbelt here we come. There will be a sizable loss of fans, but that is recoverable over time.

Posted by: Ron | September 11, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Ron, no one goes to games in Columbus? 17K last Saturday to see second place New England dominated by Columbus seems like a good number of people to me.

DC's last MLS gate was 15.6K...

Posted by: Clem | September 11, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

DC averages 6k more than Columbus. That's not even close.

Posted by: RK | September 11, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Quick question for the folks here: How many have decided NOT to go to the CCL games, at least in part because of the blood from a stone prices DCU is charging for this event?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 11, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

count me in as one ... at least I'm not going to all of them because of the prices. too rich for me.

Posted by: Fisch | September 11, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Holy !#$!@#!@

For the Saprissa game, I looked at best available:
Type
1 Full Price Ticket
Ticket Price
US $60.00
Convenience Charge
US $7.85

Posted by: RK | September 11, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

RK,

Yeah... I don't think I'm going to go to any CCL matches now.

Posted by: B.A. | September 11, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I know I won't be going...but I live hundreds of miles away, so I have a good excuse.

Posted by: RK | September 11, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Here's the disconnect for me, with those rascist fans in Croatia: After Walcott smokes them with his hat-trick, they're making fun of black players? What sort of imbecile can sit through that game and think Caucasians are in any way superior as a race to those with African descent? Are they thinking that whites are smarter? Those idiots are Exhibit A in the case against white superiority.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 11, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

RK: those are mezzanine seats, you pay $50 for the same seat at an MLS game. Saprissa is certainly better than, say, Colorado.

I spent 30 on my seats in the 200s.

Posted by: northzax | September 11, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Clem,

Your stadium was not quite as empty as it usually is for the NE game. I'll give you that. Though your FO probablyu gave 2/3 of those tix away for free, as they have done before. But in any case that game is the exception that proves the rule. Face it: Columbus atendance has been in the tank for years, and this year it has been especialy bad, despite the fact that Columbus is playing especially well. And don't quote league attendance figures to me. Virtually every Columbus home game this year has been in front of acres of empty, yellow seats; it looks AWFUL on TV, and makes MLS look bush-league.

One could look on the bright side. Your attendance is not quite as abysmal as Colorado's.

Posted by: Ron | September 11, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

northzax: DCU tickets have gotten that expensive? Yikes.

Wow, it looks like the minimum has become 20. That's too bad.

Posted by: RK | September 11, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

behindthebadge has the tv listings for the next round of CCL:

9/16: D.C. United – Deportivo Saprissa (8:00pm) – FSC, Galavision
9/24: Marathon – D.C. United (10:00pm) – FSC
10/01: D.C. United – Cruz Azul (8:00pm) – FSC, TeleFutura
10/09: Deportivo Saprissa – D.C. United (10:00pm) - FSC
10/21: Cruz Azul – D.C. United (10:00pm) – FSC, TeleFutura
10/29: D.C. United – Marathon (8:00pm) - FSC

Posted by: northzax | September 11, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

What's the altitude in Rio de Janeiro?

Posted by: BarraBrava | September 11, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

The elevation of Rio is 36 feet.

Posted by: Ron | September 11, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Would be nice to see what the DC United figures look like for this year. If we had an operating deficit of $3 million last year, it seems that with Gallardo, Emilio and some of the other salaries we are paying, the losses will be bigger this year; particularly since it seems that attendance has pretty much topped out. The only offset would be the Volkswagen deal. A greater share of TV revenue sure would be nice. Do we get money from Comcast, and if so, does DCU keep it or does it go to MLS?

Posted by: noname | September 11, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

and I don't know why people are suprised that tournaments cost money. We want the team to spend money, we want a higher cap, more players, etc, but we won't buy tickets to the matches we so desperatly want to be competitive in? Where do we think this money comes from? Magic?

I bet an away match in central America costs dcu at least $35k. We have three in the stage of the tournament. I assume, although I am not certain, that at this stage of CCL, the only revenue is home gate this year. Since we have a bad stadium situation, the team isn't making much revenue from things like concessions and parking, and I bet there is no tv $ to speak of. The team is already losing money ( see the Forbes link) so where is the money for the roadtrips coming from? Us. Welcome to the reality of modern sport.

Posted by: Northzax | September 11, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

northzax thanks for heads upin' the CCL tv info.

Will call and service charges are for people who can afford to throw money away.
Walking up to the ticket window on game day is the way to go.
I've also donated what I can on game days to United Drives and they give you buy one/get one free coupons for doing so that you can use that day. Go with a friend and you can cut your entry fee in half. You have to redeem those tickets at a particular window @ will call but it's worth it.
Unfortunately I don't think they will be honoring those coupons for CL games, and I also don't think they take donations during non league games...
No offense guys, but complaining about the ticket prices is kind of trivial, I have less income now than I was pulling as a paperboy at eleven years old and I somehow make it to plenty of games.
Vamos United!
Donate to United Drives!

Posted by: dadryan | September 11, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

just saying, by donating to charity for regular season games and getting a break at the gate for doing so takes the sting out of a Champions League ticket.

Posted by: dadryan | September 11, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I understand the hardship we all face but any DC United fans complaining about the ticket price is beyond me. It's basically free if you compare with the worthless helmet game prices that cost over $100 a ticket and the people still paying for them. for the sack of the league and DC United even though I am a poor one I am using my credit card and going to all of the games. If you don't want to pay ticket master fee contact fan clubs to get the tickets to not have to pay those. So show up and sing loud.

Posted by: td | September 11, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

You gotta be nucking futs to buy your tickets from Ticketmaster.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | September 11, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Rio is 36 feet!! How will Blatter spin that? No more playing Bolivians at anything over 30 feet?

Posted by: BarraBrava | September 11, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Columbus has been known to hav attendance issues, but either you dont watch neough soccer or you are lost, becaus what is happening in columbus ahs got to be one of the brightest stories in the league, here is a team that was awful, lost in the middle of the US, no support except on sausage night, no fan club nothing. and suddenly there winning the have a big supporters club that will compete with the best of them and now are starting to attract other fans. Watching a game at columbus is no longer a bad thing. they are playing great futbol and there fans are bringing it. if you want to pick on a fellow eatern team (besides our usual puppies in the big apple) pick on New england, there game is sometimes there but the games are boring due to the horrible atmosphere

Posted by: dc fan | September 11, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

That was painful to try to read, dc fan.

Posted by: RK | September 11, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

From the Forbes article:

"Toronto FC spectators topped the league in spending, averaging $15 a game on food, beverages and souvenirs at concession stands."

$8 Micro-brewed streamers?

Posted by: Mr. Krys | September 11, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

The only offset would be the Volkswagen deal.

-------------------------------------------

That's a pretty big offset. Pretty much covers Gallardo's nut, no?

Here's my thinking on the CCL prices, why I asked the question:

There are some Hondurans here, but how many would afford either the discounted strip, or the walk-up prices? Mexicans, too. This is an opportunity for DCU to reach out and make it possible to fill up the stands. Then you've got the DCU regulars, who may be feeling tapped out. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they'd bring in more revenue if they lowered the price, not hiked above the regular season price.

You're right about the pointy ball costs. I'd love to see my Giants play, but I can't justify over $100 a seat. G-d bless 'em, if people are paying those prices, but I don't know how season-ticket holders justify it. Of course -- they only have the 8 home games.... We have 2-3 times that, if you count in all the extras.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 11, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

The food and beer garden in Toronto are great. RFK? I wouldn't feed prisoners with that food.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | September 11, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

RK and others.
The reason the tickets at $60 is because you picked best available (Probably mezzanine near midfield)

Why not select the actual type of ticket you want and get them for $30 which I think is the standard price or go for a spectator seat and save a few more bucks.

and call DCU ticket office and save the convenience charge.

Posted by: WC | September 11, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I do agree with you FF about lowering the price for tournaments instead of raising them.

Posted by: dadryan | September 11, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DirtyHarry | September 11, 2008 1:19 PM
==============

The beer's better early in the season, right after the annual tap cleaning.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

fisch fry: I am sure they have looked at the numbers. here's a rough look from my perspective:

the really expensive ones are fine, anyone who can and will pay $50, will pay $60 for lux seats. they don't sell that many anyway.

the majority of the rest of the seats are $5-$10 more than regular season prices. spectator seats and most premium seats (yellow and red on your ticket map) are, in fact, the same price for Dallas and Saprissa.

yes, you will pay more in the 100s and VIP. but only by ten bucks or so.

Posted by: northzax | September 11, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I didn't exactly imply surprise at the concepts of Sports Business and Economics at hand here. Nor do I think the money needed to finance DCU, MLS, SUM, etc, comes from magic.

...If it did, I could afford to attend every match, home and away... Except for inflation created by other wizards and witches increasing the money supply. :p

Anyways, I don't exactly place value on professional gridiron tickets, so they may not be a viable substitute for DCU tickets in my situation. When I do attend matches (which is as often as I can feasibly travel into -- and out of -- DC), I usually acquire tickets from one of the supporters' groups.

$50 is quite high for an opponent like Saprissa. I'm glad to hear the range of ticket prices starts @ $20.

However, I do remember the Chelsea ticket range. My personal fandom definitely has financial limitations; limitations which should decrease in the coming months.

Oh, and if MLS removes the cap for domestic players...

Posted by: B.A. | September 11, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron | September 11, 2008 12:09 PM
============================================

No it's not. Columbus has averaged over 16,000 its last 5 home games.

Posted by: fig | September 11, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

and given that a lot of people who will come to tournaments or high profile friendlies will never come back for the regular season, why not charge more? since there's little money to be made from beer and food, there's no incentive to make it cheaper for non-DCU fans to enter the stadium.

Posted by: northzax | September 11, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@dc fan: one game with a half-full stadium(CLB-NE) does not an attendance success story make. On MLS Direct Kick I have watched most Columbus home games this year, and this year their stadium has been far more empty than ever for almost all of their games. It has been an absolute travesty. Not as bad a travesty as Colorado, but a travesty nonetheless.

On the field, Columbus has been a success story. No argument there. But in the stands on gameday, things are worse than ever. That is, unless Columbus has "Come Dressed as a Yellow Seat" day almost every home game. Sometimes I almost wonder if the Columbus front office stopped giving out free tickets, I wonder if the number of people in the stands would exceed three digits.

Maybe MLS should have promotion and relegation. Columbus should be relegated based on their pathetic crowds. Yeesh. At least Colorado (kind of) has an excuse. Their team plays as awful as their attendance. What is Columbus's excuse?

Posted by: Ron | September 11, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

To paraphrase Churchill: It's a travesty wrapped in a disaster, inside a calamity.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 11, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The USL is a failed league? Huh ... I didn't realize they went out of business since DCU played one of their teams last week in the Open Cup Final.

Weird...

Posted by: grumpy | September 11, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Intriging matches on Saturday. ManU vs Liverpool, ManCity vs Chelsea.

Posted by: td | September 11, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 11, 2008 12:05 PM
===================

The disconnect for me is that fewer than 20 years ago, the Serbs attempted ethnic cleansing on the Croatians. But, between you and me, we can agree that bigots are impervious to logic.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 11, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron | September 11, 2008 12:09 PM
============================================

No it's not. Columbus has averaged over 16,000 its last 5 home games.

Posted by: fig | September 11, 2008 1:38 PM

-----------------------------------------

That is tickets distributed, including the reams and reams of free ones the Columbus FO gives out which are in turn used as bookmarks instead of entry to the stadium. If you believe you had anywhere near 16k fannies in seats I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. Either that or they really are coming dressed as empty yellow seats.

Posted by: Ron | September 11, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

racism is perfectly illogical, you all should know that.

and Ron, thanks for the great Halloween costume idea! I'm going as a Columbus fan (you'll know me cause I look like a yellow chair)

Posted by: northzax | September 11, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@northzax: LOL! :-)

I'd ask you to post a picture once you do, but we have all seen thousands and thousands of them all too often "Live! from Columbus Crew Stadium!"

Posted by: Ron | September 11, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Villarreal will be on GolTV Sunday morning, and Jozy should get some PT.

Posted by: RK | September 11, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

"even though I am a poor one I am using my credit card and going to all of the games"

yeah, that makes financial sense! You may want to rethink your spending and financial situation. ... I can't wait for the government to take more of my money and give to to people with these sorts of financial habits/skills.

Posted by: downtown | September 11, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

i always use my credit card to buy tix..miles! too bad the beer dealers don't accept cards. i hate having to scrounge cash before a game.

Posted by: mizage | September 11, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Poor form, Fisch Fry, bringing such a nasty political bent into Goff's Q&A.

Posted by: RK | September 11, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

there's a funny little clip of McT up now on behind the badge and some cool pics of a DCU photo shoot involving reading, Talon, and very strategically place shoes.

Posted by: dadryan | September 11, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Fisch fry,

I agree with your question and thoughts completely. However,I don't think Goff will answer that question.

Posted by: United fury | September 11, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

270:

I thought the same thing when I stumbled onto that article earlier. And it was written by Paul Tenorio! Without knowing the details behind the story, I think we can narrow down the reason why RFK's only tenant wasn't mentioned in a story about RFK:

PT (author): Covers United when SG is unavailable; seems knowledgeable and positive towards soccer
Post (publisher): Covers soccer better than any other paper in the country
DCSEC (a subject of the story): They have shown me that apathy and hostility are not actually that different by straddling the line between the two; when DCU leaves RFK, will they be more sad (at loss of revenue from rent and parking) or happy (at being rid of meddlesome soccer team)?

And there you have it. PT and the Post are under no obligation to work United into a story if the team doesn't come up, and are stuck with a quote from the DCSEC that makes it sound like no one's playing at RFK. It's not their fault that the DCSEC prefers to talk about how the post-baseball playing surface was made with a football game (not the only current tenant) in mind.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 11, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Right. It's not the Post's fault and I didn't mean to imply that they purposely omitted mention of DC United. On occasion, I've let the sports eds know that I appreciate their soccer coverage .

It does make me wonder though, if DCSEC's attitude will change if an SSS is built within the city limits, as it would be under their jurisdiction.

On the bright side, the bowl games will force DCSEC to clean the beer taps and the restrooms once per year.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 11, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

MLS games with the gridon/helmet/throw ball game lines GOT TO STOP NOW. I think ESPN, Fox Soccer Channel, HD (i don't see any on this) and Comcast all should put on their contract from the beginning that they are not going to show the games if they are going to play on these fields. It is beyond disgusting point by now.
Please please we the fans plea that you as the head of MLS should feel our pain and respect the league and don't play MLS games on these kind of fields anymore.
NE just scored.

Posted by: td | September 11, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

DCSEC will further insult United next season by painting grid lines for the bowl games - in April.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 11, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I didn't think it was a secret that a vast majority of people with government jobs are just punching the clock and don't give a crap about what they are doing.
Not saying that they aren't experts in their field, many of them may be able to read this blog because of "voices" and those lazy mofo's may very well be YOU. That's cool. I totally understand why you don't care about what soccer fans think. It takes all week long to talk about how much the Redskins suck this year...Or how great Tony Romo is...
If you work for the DCSEC or the Federal SEC, or any of the courts in the District please speak up now if you care one eyelash about DC United and their supporters.
*crickets*

Posted by: dadryan | September 11, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Weird...

Posted by: grumpy | September 11, 2008 2:05 PM
============================================

I think the USL that the article mentioned wasn't the current league, but the United Soccer League that played two seasons in 1984 & 1985. After the ASL folded in 1983, the first USL was formed to take its place as an alternative to the NASL. When the NASL folded after the 1984 season, the USL was the sole outdoor professional soccer league in the USA. But, the league ended up folding during that 1985 season.

Posted by: dcindc | September 11, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

UEFA Champions League Manu v Villareal on Wednesday on ESPN. Could Rossi be recovered and could Altidore would be on the team and possibily debut? That would be huge.

Posted by: td | September 11, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FC | September 11, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I just read the Forbes article one more time. If my understanding of things is correct, it errs in referring to "owners" of individual teams (e.g., identifying the Hauptmans as the "owners" of the Fire). I have always understood that MLS itself was the majority owner of each team, and that people such as the Hauptmans have a package that includes a 49-percent stake in their team, as well as a 7-percent stake in MLS, which indirectly gives them a small stake in the each of the other 13 teams.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 11, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

td, doubtful and doubtful.

Rossi couldn't complete training today, and Jozy should see time this weekend. He also may not be on the CL roster.

Posted by: RK | September 11, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

RK, that's a bummer but I am sure their time will come.

Posted by: td | September 11, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

td, I don't think I want to see Jozy make his debut at Old Trafford in the very first CL game -- talk about pressure!

Posted by: RK | September 12, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse