Morning Kickaround

Lots going on. Let's get started.....

*D.C. United begins Champions League play tonight without Marcelo Gallardo -- what else is new? -- and possibly several other regulars. If you are going to RFK tonight, you will be one of the few; attendance might reach 6,000. TV coverage begins at 8 p.m. ET on Fox Soccer Channel and Galavision.

*Other CL openers tonightin Panama: Puerto Rico hosts Tauro (11 p.m. FSC) and Pumas is at San Francisco in Panama (10 p.m. Telefutura).

*Euro CL games on TV today:
-- Bordeaux at Chelsea, 2:30 p.m. ESPN2.
-- Sporting Lisbon at Barcelona, live on ESPN Deportes at 2:30, on tape at 5 on ESPN Classic.
-- Atletico Madrid at PSV, 4:45 ESPN Deportes
-- Inter Milan at Panathinaikos, 7:30 ESPN Deportes.

*Soccer America men's top 10: 1. Wake Forest (5-0-0), 2. SMU (5-0-1), 3. Notre Dame (4-1-0), 4. Connecticut (2-0-3), 5. California (3-0-2), 6. Maryland (4-1-0), 7. Saint Louis (2-0-3), 8. North Carolina (4-0-1), 9. St. John's (5-0-1),10. Illinois-Chicago (4-0-1).

*Soccer America women's top 10: 1. Notre Dame (6-0-0), 2. UCLA (5-0-1), 3. Stanford (6-0-1), 4. Portland (6-1-0), 5. USC (6-1-0), 6. North Carolina (5-1-1), 7. Texas (5-0-1), 8. Florida State (5-1-1), 9. Virginia (6-0-1),10. Boston College (6-1-0).

*Follow the new women's league allocation of U.S. national team players at 12:30 p.m. today by clicking here. For a quick recap of Abby Wambach's placement in Washington, click here.

*Brad Friedel and Aston Villa add to Tottenham's woes with a 2-1 decision at White Hart Lane, securing Spurs' worst start in 34 years.

*Witchcraft blamed for a riot at a match in Congo.

*Sepp says South Africa is it in 2010. Too bad the national team stinks

*Two strange goals in Inter's 2-1 victory over Catania, after which the Special One stirs things up:

By Steve Goff  |  September 16, 2008; 8:58 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , College Soccer , D.C. United , Italy , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Freedom Allocations Are Set
Next: WPS Allocation List

Comments

6000? Just think if it were cold!

Fans suffer from fixture congestion, too.

Posted by: RK | September 16, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up on Pumas, SF later on Steve.
So were either of those two goals, ruled own goals in that Inter Game?
Also:Will Goff be at RFK tonight?

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

""Fans suffer from fixture congestion, too.""

That's too bad as the CCL is a real competition unlike Superliga . . and Saprissa is a quality opponent that we haven't seen yet . . . and we need a win on home soil to help us qualify for the next round . . .

Posted by: delantero | September 16, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, delantero...but I was thinking that there is only so much time and money one can spend on soccer (despite what our spouses/SOs may think).

Just look at today! I could sit at home from 2-10 and watch quality matches.

Posted by: RK | September 16, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

One more heads up! I mentioned previously that United was offering $20 Premium tickets for the match this evening if you call them directly by phone or emailing customer service. The deadline was advertised as 12 noon, and they also said it was an offer to people who attended their league match this last weekend.
Not sure how they'd confirm you were at the game or not, but that's a 15 dollar break on the tickets that will be more expensive this evening than they normally are.
Cheers!

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I think it all goes back to the whole not having our own stadium thing. If we actually owned the stadium and could count on more of a revenue stream from regular games, then maybe the tickets for this game could be discounted a little bit. As it is, though, they are just way too high for those of us with a family of 4 to try to make it to the games. Outside of our season ticket plan, we have to pick and choose what other things we want to do. We chose the Open Cup and I'm very happy that we did. Now we're just hoping that there are some playoff tickets to be bought soon!

Posted by: HarkesyRules | September 16, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

there are plenty of excuses for people not being there tonight. School night, 8 PM start. Too many competitions. Don't forget the USOC in that equation along with Superliga and that cup at the start of the year. If the ticket is part of the season package it is easy to tear it out of the book and go. But if you have to make an effort to buy yet more tickets I think that keeps people away...especially in bad economic times.

Posted by: Glenn | September 16, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

dadryan:

The screaming eagles will be selling $20 tickets from their ticket window up until kick-off. $20 for a prime viewing spot, so come on down...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Then there are those of us who would prefer to see the team write off the CCL this year in order to rest our overworked players. We have CCL in the bag for next year due to the US Open Cup.

I *might* go out for Cruz Azul. But I can't fit in this many games in the next six weeks.

Posted by: Grunthos | September 16, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Wow!

I knew that those package prices/midweek/school in session issues were going to make it a tougher proposition, but YIKES!

Given that teams next year will know where they fall in the CCL, US Open Cup, SuperLiga it would be best to make those PART of your season tickets and allow you to opt out of them should you not want to go.

Hopefully there will be a semi-decent walk-up.

For the sake of television, everyone should be shifted to the Supporters' side of the stadium.

C'mon - BRING YOUR CO-WORKERS!

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 16, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Senor G

The Puerto Rico-Tauro FC game will be played in Puerto Rico, and not Panama.

Posted by: YodaWearsAdidas | September 16, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

CCL??? Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Our 3rd internation competition and while this one has a reward at the end, thinking we can really win this thing is a joke. Not happening and don't get people hurt playing in these games.

Posted by: MLS | September 16, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

6,000, eh?

Reminds me of something I wrote before a Concacaf match vs. Chivas in March of 2007, which only needs a little tweaking:

Glenn: O that we now had here
But one ten thousand of those men in the suburbs
That watch at home to-day!

EdTheRed: What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Glenn? No, my fair cousin:
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do United loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Diablo, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my jersey wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires:
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from the suburbs:
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more, methinks, would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Glenn, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his parking shall be paid
And bucks for bus fare put into his purse:
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is called the feast of Cyprian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Cyprian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Cyprian:'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Cyprian's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Moreno the king, Santino and Emilio,
Crayton and McTavish, Namoff and Fred,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Cyprian Cyprianus shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in suburbs now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That sang with us upon Saint Cyprian's day.

Posted by: EdTheRed | September 16, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

What is that crap? Stop.

Posted by: RK | September 16, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

We may see Convey start for Reading this afternoon in a Championship match

Posted by: Beckster | September 16, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Now get out there and kick some French butt!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 16, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

EdTheRed, I really liked that. Nice. I strangely feel inspred by reading that re-write. Thank you.

Posted by: Kosh | September 16, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

anonymous SE: thanks for the heads up on your tickets.
Unfortunately RK's sentiments about justifying this kind of expense to the O'l Spouse mirror mine, especially since I've actually gone to the last 4 home games...
I'm kinda maxed out right now...
Cruz Azul is a little more realistic for me at this point. If I stew about it enough, I can't rule out rolling out at the last second...It's happened before:)

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I'd go if I weren't picking up my parents at the airport tonight.

Anybody seen any advertising for this and other CCL games in the WaPo? Compared to the Open Cup, there's been none.

Posted by: Juan-John | September 16, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

dadryan: I'm hearing enough complaints that "there's another (must-see) game on tonight??" :)

Posted by: RK | September 16, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Where is Georgetown Ranked in the Soccer America Poll? or did they drop out of the top 25?

Posted by: hoyahooligan | September 16, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Ed, thanks to that piece, I'm tempted to cut out of work right now, drive down from Vermont, and bounce with the loonies in the 130's....

Damn reality.

Posted by: SE in VT | September 16, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Hoyas dropped out of the top 25 after losing to Providence

First loss and first goal allowed, but a weak schedule isn't helping their cause

Posted by: Goff | September 16, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Steve: if you're going to list TV matches, you should include Setanta. They've got Marseille v. Liverpool today.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

and then EdTheRed throws down the Gauntlet...
That kinda talk reminds me of some of my more grizzly friends in Seattle and conjures crazy visions of the kind of Supporters that the Sounders will hopefully attract.
Smoked Salmon, Olympia Beer mixed with Clamato, and grilling in the Rain!!!!Hargh, Hargh, Hargh!...

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Ed inspires me, while dadryan makes me starve for a teaste of the ocean with a hint of an ice cold one.

I cannot take this emotional roller-coaster ride anymore...:)

Posted by: Kosh | September 16, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

""I'm kinda maxed out right now...!!"""

And we're not even playing! COME ON BOYZ!

Saprissa is one of the best teams in North America . . . if you're going to skip a game, let be against Marathon. I'm sure the wife will go for that one .. . ha ha

Plus, with the injuries we need the 12th man!

Posted by: delantero | September 16, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

RK: My Old lady watches home improvement shows ALL WEEKEND, so I fortunately have that ace up my sleeve. I also have to watch at my neighbors so luckily I won't be cutting into her watching HOUSE=)

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I don't. I watched some EPL (Man City-Chelsea), DCU before going to dinner, Villarreal then NFL (including the night game). And last night's game.

Biggest Loser for me tonight! Or I am, not sure which...

Posted by: RK | September 16, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

EdTheRed,

The metrical feet in your iambic pentameter need a podiatrist in places, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Posted by: Ron | September 16, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Where have I been...Zenga's bald?!

Posted by: jw | September 16, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Burt Convy plays footy?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 16, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

After dragging my friends to multiple United games they are dragging me to the Nats vs. Mets game tonight, where they are also honoring us Peace Corps volunteers. Included in my group are two guys who served in Costa Rica and love soccer but couldn’t pass up discounted stickball tickets.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 16, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 9:46 AM

I would sit with the Eagles even if it was FREE tikets they were giving out!!!!

Posted by: you gotta be kidding me | September 16, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

You better get yourself a Ben's Chili Dog Southeasterner... It may be the only thing that keeps you awake.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

@Ron: blame the Bard himself - he tweaked his iambs like nobody's business, and it rubbed off on me...then again, he was Shakespeare, and I'm just some guy with a blog. ;-)

Posted by: EdTheRed | September 16, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Olympia Beer mixed with Clamato

============================

wow. I can't even imagine how bad that must be . . . .

Posted by: Anonymous | September 16, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Anonymous dissin' the Tide Flats: You can mix Clamato with nearly any cheap light beer. Oly just keeps it legit. Budweiser sells a beer premixed that is not as refreshing as the poorman's bloody mary.
Don't knock it till ya try it dude. It's a refreshing way to start off some early weekend drinking after a hot cup of coffee!

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone ever find out what happened to the video screen and scoreboard at RFK last Saturday? Will it be working tonight?

Posted by: Rob | September 16, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Yo, ED!

Rocky V grossed like V times (get it, 5 X times!) more than Henry V.

And I didn't even have to dress up in any silly mid-evil costumes!

Posted by: Sly S. | September 16, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

the video screen is being replaced with that wooden hand operated scoreboard from cuba.

Posted by: stairs | September 16, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stairs | September 16, 2008 12:57 PM

We could train the rats to update the score!

Posted by: GoldenChild | September 16, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

This is the most important competition against the best opponents - come out if you can, everyone.

Posted by: hoyanick | September 16, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

It is dissapointing I have not found any preview or hype of tonights game or the tournament in general. It would be nice to see a breakdown of the groups and a little about each team participating. I rank this above the MLS title and I believe many other people do also (except for american journalists)...dissapointing.

Posted by: EMP | September 16, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

So Goff, Jeremy Barlow went to Houston? On Ives'- did you mention?

Posted by: beckster | September 16, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that second Inter goal was sketchy... The linesman sure wasn't in position to call it, not sure how the ref did. On the other hand, the keeper sure didn't protest like I would have expected to.

Posted by: edgeonyou | September 16, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I would sit with the Eagles even if it was FREE tikets they were giving out!!!!

Posted by: you gotta be kidding me | September 16, 2008 11:24 AM

Best post ever!!!!!

Posted by: bb | September 16, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hoyanick | September 16, 2008 1:12 PM

What hoyanick said.

Posted by: FC | September 16, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I would sit with the Eagles even if it was FREE tikets they were giving out!!!!

Posted by: you gotta be kidding me | September 16, 2008 11:24 AM

Best post ever!!!!!

Posted by: bb | September 16, 2008 2:10 PM

LMAO !! What does it mean? LOL

Possibles:

I wouldnt seat with the eagles ever....
OR
I have no f...ing clue what im talking about HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Posted by: 135 | September 16, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Expansion

I'm calling horse hockey on the Ottawa plan for a club in MLS. Stadium sounds oversized and while mostly about the soccer, would likely depend on the ability to snake government subsidies for a stadium to lure the CFL back to the Canadian Capital. No thanks.

SO, in the race for 20 - I'm pushing The Mets for NYC v. 2, Vancouver, St. Louis, and either Montreal or a solidly built and backed team in Miami.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 16, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

other groups lack of confidence in themselves

so boring....

Posted by: zzzzz | September 16, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Way to paint a whole supporters group with the same brush "zzzzz".

17. Portland
18. Montreal
19. Vancouver
20. NYC

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 16, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Anelka sucks, I thought Emilio was a poacher...Sheeesh.

Posted by: dadryan | September 16, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EdTheRed | September 16, 2008 11:28 AM

-------------

The bard is the bard, it was some of your interpolations I was thinking about.

Posted by: Ron | September 17, 2008 6:55 AM | Report abuse