Morning Kickaround

*Wisely, the Houston Dynamo has postponed Saturday's home match against San Jose until Oct. 15.

*The first-place Crew -- have you gotten used to saying it yet? -- hosts New York tonight (7 p.m. ET, ESPN2), but will probably be without MVP front-runner Guillermo Barros Schelotto again. Columbus is 4-0-1 in its last five games, the Red Bulls are 4-1-3 in their last eight.

*RSL prepares to say goodbye (or good riddance) to Rice-Eccles Stadium.

*The USL continues to enjoy nonleague success as Montreal defeats Joe Public, 2-0, in CONCACAF Champions League play. The league sent a team to the U.S. Open Cup final and has two representatives in CL group play.

*It's Tim Howard vs. Oguchi Onyewu today when Everton faces Standard Liege in the UEFA Cup (5 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel).

*The USA women continue to their victory tour with another ho-hum win over Ireland, 1-0, on Natasha Kai's goal before only 4,227 at Giants Stadium. The teams will complete their series Saturday night at Toyota Park in Bridgeview, Ill.

*Video of Vincente Vuoso's late game-winner in Mexican club Santos's 3-2 victory over Municipal, which had overcome a two-goal deficit to pull even, in Champions League play:

By Steve Goff  |  September 18, 2008; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , MLS , USL , Women , World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: DCU's Travel Schedule

Comments

more from today - very interesting front-page piece from the Wall Street Journal on a female lawyer trying to stop the violence of Argentina's barras:

Posted by: downtown | September 18, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

BTW - great pics of RSL's new stadium.

I still prefer the roofs that go all the way around the seats, not just in the middle, nevertheless this is one of MLS's best stadiums yet. (of course, it hardly compares to our masterpiece at RFK!) zzzzzzz

Posted by: downtown | September 18, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

4200 at Giants Stadium? Great planning!

Posted by: RK | September 18, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

The Municipal game was a good one and a very good sight to see an Honduran team beat a Mexican team.
HAHAHA shows you how much Osvaldo Sanchez is really bad at goal. Got scored twice by Municipal! Vamos Rojos!

Well DC has to watch it against Marathon, Mejia looks way to fast for DC's d. And Cruz Azul will not be easy to beat. I think DC will have an early exit the way they are playing but we never can know with DC sometime.

Lets hope they turn things around!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 18, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

4200 at Giants Stadium? Great planning!

Posted by: RK | September 18, 2008 9:29 AM

Have to take what ESPN gives them.

Kind of a curious choice by FSC to show Spurs-Wisla Krakow live this afternoon and delay the Howard-Onyewu match.

Posted by: Kev | September 18, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

The new RSL stadium shows what a sick joke DC government is. Two mayors who "supported" a stadium and still nothing. RSL got theirs done how fast? The longer this DC - PG County back and forth continues, the more I fear DCU will wind up relocated due to an inability to build a stadium sometime before 2050.

Posted by: griffin1108 | September 18, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

RSL got theirs done how fast?

Posted by: griffin1108 | September 18, 2008 9:42 AM

Fans in Salt Lake will probably remind you that their stadium negotiations were a pretty huge tussle. That said, it's done, congrats to them.

I too like to see roofs that actually cover people and keep the noise within the stadiums. But that's just nitpicking - what's really important is that these stadiums keep the REVENUE on the inside :-)

Posted by: Kev | September 18, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

RSL my nizzle!

Am I the only that pronounces RSL like rizzle?

Posted by: RK | September 18, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ed | September 18, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who pronounces ROTFLMAO like rotflimaho?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 18, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Re: I-270, Exit 1

No, I say that too.

So...with a Marathon win last night, If United can pull off a win on the road next Wednesday we still have a chance to advance out of the group round. How healthy will we be for that game? All walking wounded except Gallardo perhaps?

Posted by: Eire Bier | September 18, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

How bad will it look if Montreal and Puerto Rico fair better in CCL play than DC and Houston? At this point, maybe I should ditch DCU for Real Maryland or Crystal Palace Baltimore. Ugh, makes me sick that second division clubs do better than MLs clubs. MLS has to be embarrassed as hell.

On a side note Goff, how is the relationships between USL and MLS? Do they treat each other a enemies or do they work together in the common interest of soccer in the US?

Posted by: therealfootball | September 18, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

A road win just seems tough at this point, Cruz Azul lost as road team.

Marathon isn't a team to sleep on especially with close contact, boy they exaggerated so much when they were bumped into. And knowing how prone DC is with yellow cards, I highly doubt that DC can pull that game without a red and a couple of yellows being shown.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 18, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I am so pissed that DCU has to play in a crap stadium while bums in Salt Lake get a great soccer specific stadium. What a mockery the DC government is.

On a side note, when will an MLS stadium be built where the team bench is the stands? I love that look!

Posted by: therealfootball | September 18, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

4200 at Giants Stadium? Great planning!

Posted by: RK | September 18, 2008 9:29 AM

Have to take what ESPN gives them.

Posted by: Kev | September 18, 2008 9:34 AM
...........................................

Did BSPN have anything to do with this event?

Posted by: The Jeff | September 18, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Did BSPN have anything to do with this event?

Posted by: The Jeff | September 18, 2008 10:46 AM

Well I'm guessing that the original post was a prediction for tonight's attendance, even though the match is in Columbus, not Jersey.

And all the Thursday night matches are made for ESPN2.

Posted by: Kev | September 18, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

.........................................

I thought it was a reference to the USWNT friendly last night, which was in New Jersey, and drew about 4,200.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 18, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Oh right - I kind of skim past any women's soccer references. My bad!

Posted by: Kev | September 18, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I

Posted by: Kai Lover | September 18, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I love Natasha Kai!

Posted by: Kai Lover | September 18, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering what you were talking about, Kev :)

Posted by: RK | September 18, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Maybe if the genius that is DC United Management would have done something like what Chicag and RSL did we would ahve a stadium. Go find a place that wants you and work with them. Don't work only with one location and not have any chips in your pocket.

Posted by: RSL | September 18, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

That studium is pretty dang sweet. Here's hoping DCU can get something done. I'm ready.

Posted by: Matte | September 18, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

...done something like what Chicag and RSL did we would ahve a stadium...

Posted by: RSL | September 18, 2008 11:54 AM

I agree that in hindsight, it would have been better to have not wasted time with the Wilson building.

But I believe the idea for DC United was not just to build a stadium, whatever the location. I believe DCU was trying to build a great stadium (Home Depot ++) in the best location of any team in the league. Only Toronto comes close to an equivalent location, but I think Poplar Point would have been spectacular. I think that the DCU stadium would have raised the bar far, far above what is out there now in MLS.

DCU tried for a home run, and seems to have struck out. I hope they get another at-bat, this time with PG County, and I'm hoping for a better result.

Posted by: Rob | September 18, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I think my favorite part of that Santos clip is when like 5 of the players all hop up onto the team huddle in the same exact way like trained seals or penguins or something. Vamos Focas de Santos!

Posted by: elopingcamel | September 18, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

That is why the management is stupid. MLS does not have the power or appeal or whatever you want to call it to hit a home run. They draw 20K for 20 or so dates and they needed to think a little and have some options.

Posted by: To Rob | September 18, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

What's with the bathroom at RSL's new stadium? Everyone gets to watch you take a massive?

Posted by: Hoost | September 18, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

There is no way to compare how USL teams have fared so far in CCL vs MLS.

Were United in Group C, or D, their advancement to the next round would be a foregone conclusion.

As it stands, Houston should easily advance, while Montreal and Puerto Rico have an outside shot at advancing. It'll depend on how Montreal fares with Olimpia, and how Puerto Rico does against Municipal.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 18, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

The one thing Real SL didn't have to deal with that DC did was MLB.

Any chance of public assistance on the DC United stadium went out the door the second the DC council and mayor agreed to the Nats stadium.

I had the chance to speak with Tommy Wells and he confirmed that financing a cent of the new soccer stadium isn’t even up for discussion anymore. If MacFarlane wants a new stadium at Poplar Point its going to have to be a deal between him and Clark.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 18, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hoost | September 18, 2008 12:54 PM

Yeah, I was freaked out about that at first, too. Then I realized the partitions weren't up, yet. Now, I'm much more relaxed. Without the walls it's sort of like a large Oz-ish prison cell, though, eh?

Posted by: Beaker | September 18, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Foregone conclusion? What're you smoking, DC boy? Joe public beat New England 6-1 on aggregate but got schooled by Montreal last night.

Posted by: jloome | September 18, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Were all of the pictures of RSL restrooms ladies rooms? I was more interested in seeing what type of urinals they will use than if the partitions will allow for people with wide stances to reach out and touch their neighbor.

Posted by: sitruc | September 18, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

They beat a New England side of reserves, and New England has NEVER taken CONCACAF matches seriously.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 18, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse