Morning Kickaround

*The yellow jersey goes to the leader of the Tour de France. In MLS this year, the Supporters' Shield might end up going to the club in the yellow jersey. Columbus's 3-1 victory over visiting New York last night increased its lead in the East -- and in the race for the overall lead -- to six points over New England with five weeks left in the season. The Revs have played one fewer game and are at Colorado tomorrow night before colliding with the Crew next weekend at Foxborough. Lots of very cool video available here.

*FC Dallas rookie Brek Shea, the second overall pick in the draft, is out for the season with a knee injury.

*Americans in the UEFA Cup: Carlos Bocanegra scores the go-ahead goal in Rennes' 2-1 home victory over Twente, Tim Howard and Oguchi Onyewu face each other in Everton's 2-2 draw at home against Standard Liege, and Brad Friedel mans the net in Aston Villa's 3-1 decision over Litex Lovich of Bulgaria.

*Tonight in College Park, Sasho Cirovski will attempt to become the winningest coach in University of Maryland history when the Terps host Duke at Ludwig Field. Kickoff is 8 p.m. Doyle Royal was 217-58-18 from 1946 to 1973; Cirovski is 217-100-20 since 1993. Maryland is 4-1, Duke is 4-2. Both won their ACC openers last weekend as the Terps defeated Boston College and the Blue Devils beat Virginia Tech.

*For a good cause, the Revs are auctioning team items to raise money for the Massachusetts Military Heroes Fund. The bid deadline is Monday. Click here for details.

I will be traveling to Los Angeles much of today and probably won't join you again until this evening or Saturday. Feel free to discuss any futbol matters.

By Steve Goff  |  September 19, 2008; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , MLS , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Galaxy: Far, Far Away?
Next: Friday Night Lights

Comments

Last night was teh first time that Frankie Hejduk's cross/shot paid off.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 19, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Continuation on my post yesterday about why DC won't fund a cent for a new stadium for United...

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 19, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

JMU women 1 PSU 0 on FSC national broadcast.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 19, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Columbus would have won that game without the hippie's fluky shot. The Crew are way better than anyone else in MLS right now.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | September 19, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Barras Bravas article of interest:

11th Commandment of DCU Hooliganism: Thou shall not forget to read the Insider.

Posted by: MR Caretaker | September 19, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

JMU women 1 PSU 0 on FSC national broadcast.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 19, 2008 8:21 AM

I watched this with interest, as a PSU alim. My son is a current student at JMU and was at the game.

PSU was shocking. I'm not sure they could have beaten anyone with that many passes to the wrong jersey.

Shout out to Dave Johnson, who did the game and is a real pro.

Posted by: JkR | September 19, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

NYRB v COL - Conway was, shall we say, busy during that game. Quality strike by Rogers. Frankie will *never* admit that his goal was a cross, not a shot.

At least some of MLS' teams are playing a decent, flowing game (mind you, this is somewhat new territory for COL....).

Posted by: 22206 | September 19, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

@Southeasterner

DC isn't going to fund a stadium for DC, but hopefully Will and Victor and Kevin could drum up enough equity support for it through an additional partner. Heck, if it would mean us getting into Poplar Point, I'd be willing to be equity shares in the venture, because when I cash out in 30 years - I'll be happy and rich!

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 19, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Holy crap! I wish my name was Doyle Royal!

Posted by: Kev | September 19, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Being stuck at the office, I wanted to follow JMU-PSU on a gametracker, but this game wasn't covered. I wonder whether that is because the gametracker system is run by a subsidiary of CBS, so there is some sort of contractual problem when FSC picks up a game.

Speaking of which, there will be a matchup of two nationally ranked women's teams (UVA-WVU) in morning Morgantown on Sunday.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 19, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Thinking about it, the easiest thing may be for Vic to move the squad to Vancouver for 2010 or 2011. You just switch one letter and become BC United.

Posted by: OWNTF | September 19, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I propose a Treasury bailout to save Poplar Point. Maybe we can get a $200 million rider thrown in to the gazillion dollar proposal this weekend?

Posted by: Kev | September 19, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

yeah, c-bus looked good last night. hejduk was on a rampage in that game - the dude abides. nice goal by robbie rogers too. and in the battle of columbus-based coaches and their notable fashion accessories.... i'm picking sigi's scarf over tressel's sweatervest. easy choice, really.

Posted by: stairs | September 19, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Jeff | September 19, 2008 9:19 AM

======================

Do WV's blue laws prohibit couch-burning on Sunday morning?

Posted by: OWNTF | September 19, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

JMU women 1 PSU 0 on FSC national broadcast.

=============

I wonder what the poster know as Go Penn State would say about that. Haven't heard from him in a while :-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 19, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | September 19, 2008 9:24 AM

Ha!

Seriously though - United are not moving. They are a cornerstone and the soul of MLS - the league cannot exist without them (I'm not being a homer - would say the same about LA). Unfortunately, unlike MLB, MLS doesn't have the juice to do anything about the stadium mess.

Worst case scenario, and I can see it happening, MacFarlane backs out of this whole mess (the silence is becoming deafening). Leaving United searching for investment again - and back to square one with the stadium. Uncle Phil to the rescue again?

Posted by: Kev | September 19, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I missed most of the match last night. Did Eddie Gaven have a good game overall, to go along with the highlights? It would be nice to see him play up to his potential- although not against us.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 19, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

That was a terrible red card by Goldwaithe. What an idiot. I know in the grand scheme of things it didn't result in a bad injury, but it certainly seemed aimed to do so. The League should give him an extra game in his suspension.

By the way, Rogers' goal was excellent. I wish DCU had an attack-minded left midfielder who could turn inside his marker and hit a laser shot from the corner of the 18. Wouldn't that be nice?

Posted by: DWE4 | September 19, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Saw the PSU/JMU game last night. JMU *owned*, and I mean *owned* the midfield. That is why shell-shocked Penn State kept passing to the other team. JMU out-hustled Penn State all night long, won almost all the 50-50 balls and made PSU chase the game.

The Crew are good. Gotta give them that. Gaven played well, and Denilson snuck into the game in a Frankie Hejduk costume. The Crew even made it out of the triple digits in attendance. Looked like there were a good one thousand or so people in Crew Stadium. Its a start.

Posted by: Ron | September 19, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

On Shea's injury -- you call that a knee injury? Dude had his meniscus repaired. Nobody gets their meniscus repaired...it's usually snip, snip, snip. Dude will be good as new in 2-3 months.

The Fisch Fry had a knee injury. Torn meniscus yes, but also ACL. Why do I mention this? Because last night, I played in my first soccer game since I first blew out that knee, almost 19 years ago. What I learned? There are some talented gals out there (co-ed league) -- one defender just bedeviled me as I tried to let balls run to me. Nothing got past her, including an errant, truly anemic pass I sent with my left foot, in her direction. Other than that, I wasn't too bad. Some decent tackles, a few good passes. I even drew a foul with a good run. that said, I really need to work on my left foot before next week's game. I was like a mirror image of Marc Burch.

Speaking of needing work -- Oguchi Onyewu got schooled yesterday. Yakubu must be a lot better than me. Gooch got beat by him, and he also missed getting a head on a long shot for Everton's other goal. I guess that's what playing in Europe is all about, though.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 19, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 19, 2008 10:29 AM

We'll have made it as a soccer nation when we have a center back or two capable of defending top level club competition in Europe (maybe then we can actually compete in a WC Finals held in Europe). I love Gooch - he's a MoCo guy - but it doesn't look like he's that guy.

Posted by: Kev | September 19, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

We don't need Europe, man, the weather there is icky, and the dudes are so, like, unchill. The tattooed one and I, we will take Gooch to play in our back line here on the beach. And Gooch will be like totally stoked there's no relegation here. You like don't have to win at all and you still get paid! A lot!

Posted by: Landon | September 19, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

i was looking back on the posts.. and i found who put the light out at RFK all those times......this post was way before the 1st outagge at RFK..... LOOK BELOW!!!LOL

Will the electrical system at RFK now randomly crap out for no logical reason in the middle of the game?

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 5, 2008 2:14 PM

Posted by: 135 | September 19, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

There are highlights of all the Americans playing in UEFA including Bocanegra's goal: http://watchsocceronline.blogspot.com/2008/09/yanks-abroad-thursday-highlights.html

Posted by: Matt | September 19, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

wow!...columbusis playing some great football. heydude's goal looked more like a shot than a cross to me, but i have always been a bit biased toward frankie. that game looked to be a real cracker, thanks for the highlights!

Posted by: dfunkt | September 19, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I didn't see the entire game last night, but Cowlumbus looked very dominant in the second half. Their players seem very fit, and the Crew plays well together.

Their long-suffering fans (pretty good atmosphere at the game) deserve to see some jogo bonito, just not against the almighty DCU.

As a Notre Dame alumnus, I was a bit embarassed by Goldwaithe's red card. He really lost it when he tried to kick Rogers.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | September 19, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey remember me, I'm Eddie, from da hood.

Posted by: Eddie Johnson | September 19, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

JMU women 1 PSU 0 on FSC national broadcast.

=============

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 19, 2008 9:30 AM
_________________________________

I'm not very good about changing my computer passwords regularly, but I do tend to get bored with online handles, so they do change periodically.

Posted by: The artist formerly known as GPS | September 19, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Who knows Portugese? Sponsors of Corinthians womens team want to keep Christiane in Brazil? How much $$ are they talking about?

Posted by: OWNTF | September 19, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The only Portuguese I know is 'bellas rodas' - it means 'nice wheels'

That made for an interesting Euro 2004 trip

Posted by: Kev | September 19, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"Who knows Portugese?"

I do. I do. Check my website.

Of course, my translations sometimes don't make sense:

The president Andres Sanchez dreaming of the possibility of hiring a half Marta for the women team of Corinthians.

Posted by: Polyglotinho | September 19, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

A half Marta? Wonder if Franco Niell has a sister . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | September 19, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Does it bother anyone else that DC United is only on one ESPN Thursday night game this season? Wouldn't you think one of the cornerstone franchises of MLS would be featured a little more to the US cable audience and not relegated to FSC broadcasts? Is this DCU's call?

Posted by: Rob in NC | September 19, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Portugal? That's in Latin America, right? I won't meet with their Prime Minister...

Posted by: A Man named McCain | September 19, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Apart from the awkward grammar and syntax, reminiscent of "English As She Is Spoke," the translation equated R$ with $ (i.e., equated the real with the U.S. dollar). In fact, it is worth about 55 cents. Thus, Cristiane is pulling down about $19K per month.

Also, you have to wonder about the alleged three North American clubs bidding for her. No WPS team is yet in a position to make any such offer, and after the foreign player allocation takes place, there will be exactly one offer coming from the direction of WPS. Is some Canadian semipro team trying to recruit Cristiane?

Is there anyone of note besides Cristiane playing club ball in Brasil?

Posted by: The Jeff | September 19, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Rob -- possibly because of their loaded schedule? They have had the other tournaments to fill their weeks.

Posted by: RK | September 19, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RK | September 19, 2008 3:07 PM

That's a good point. I'm sure MLS and ESPN would like for United to have more Thursday matches, because they're one of the clubs that can attract respectable crowds for that game.

Posted by: Kev | September 19, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

BREK Shea?? Is he one of Sarah Palin's kids...

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

Posted by: birdy | September 19, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Did you ask a question about Sarah Palin?

Sexist!

Posted by: John McCain | September 19, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

So where's the DCU/LAG viewing party at?
It might be a little late for my FSC having neighbors to be bribed with beers into inviting me over...
Has anyone discovered any other cutty hole in the wall spots that might be showing the game in Arlington, other than Bailey's:-( , Kitty O'Shea's:^| , or Summer's :-/ ?

Posted by: dadryan | September 19, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Check out Houston Dynamo's 09 home jersey --- its think its pretty tight

Posted by: Anthony The Great | September 19, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev | September 19, 2008 3:28 PM
==============

Wait, wait. I thought "tickets distributed" is more important than fans-in-seats. Does Google have a Garber to English option?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 19, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

GU women are leading Villanova 1-0 at the half in a battle of undefeated teams. I can't find any information on how the GU men did against South Florida; the game should be over by now.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 19, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Games on FSC is promotion. ESPN sucks. Hate their constant talking...interrupting games with stupid highlights...bottom feed showing useless distractions. Can't stand them. They are trying to get the EPL rights for 2010. I hope they don't get it.
Hope FSC would become a regular cable that's not require to buy extra sport's package.

Posted by: td | September 19, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

They are trying to get the EPL rights for 2010. I hope they don't get it.

Posted by: td | September 19, 2008 5:10 PM
====================

Yeah. Their idea is to capture a share of the European market. Not sure how they intend to broadcast EPL in the US during the fall. ESPN 1,2, and U are crowded with NCAA preview, NCAA pre-game, NCAA game, NCAA post game, and NCAA ex post facto - and that's just Saturday! Imagine what would happen if they tried to get the EPL to play on Thursday nights, another reason for English soccer fans, to hate America :-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 19, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

As much as I think their wannabe hooligan fans deserve more sadness, Columbus is the favorite right now. The important thing for them was getting their tactics right. Schelotto being out meant they couldn't afford to slow the game down, since NY could get into position and not have to worry about being broken down by some wizardry (Noonan and Rogers are good players, but they need help from others most of the time; Schelotto can break you on his own). So, Schmid sent his team out to play a high line and press constantly. NY never had time to get settled, and spent most of the game clearing the ball to no one. Columbus could just feast on the inevitable mistakes.

Schmid is doing a great job on the bench, to go along with his players all having good seasons. I know Yallop is a popular pick for coach of the year, but I think Schmid is the only reasonable choice. Let's not forget that SJ has needed this hot streak to even get close to contending. Yeah, they're an expansion team, but they were terrible for the first half of the season. I would even put Hamlett ahead of Yallop (results are better than the individual parts, turned Conde from "looking to escape" to defender of the year contender).

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 19, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Goff - Do you have any estimate on the chances that Gros may be back next year? We could really use him.

Posted by: GoUnited | September 19, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm currently following WVU-Villanova and UVA-NC State via gametracker. As Goff noted above, Maryland and Duke kick off within the hour. There appears to be a link to a radio broadcast at the Terps' site:

Posted by: The Jeff | September 19, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

The Crew play well together as a team. Sigi's boys deserve the Shield, but I'm not so sure that they'll win the Cup. They've had a little bit of an advantage since the other normally top flight clubs (DCU, Houston, NE, and even Chicago to a point) have all been playing in other tournaments too. Columbus gets an advantage because they finished in the middle of the pack last year and we didn't. Not sure that seems fair, but that's the MLS for ya.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 19, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

The Crew indeed look good, but haven't been 'distracted' by having to play any other tournaments, and appear to be healthy and gelling...

I guess they did lose Rogers for a bit, and Frankie a little, and maybe Ekbo? But have they had to reach deep into players 15-24 the way some other teams have?

Still, they're playing well and are decent to watch. Kudos.

Posted by: JkR | September 19, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse