No Moreno in Honduras

D.C. United captain Jaime Moreno, who has missed the past two matches with knee inflammation, will not rejoin the club in Honduras for Wednesday's Champions League match against Marathon, United offficials said today. The team had held out hope that, by skipping Saturday night's game at Los Angeles, he would be ready for the trip to San Pedro Sula. With that possibility gone, Moreno (10 goals, nine assists) is now expected to return for Sunday's league game at Dallas, which has taken greater importance with United's playoff hopes in peril.

On a brighter note, defender Gonzalo Peralta (hamstring) has been on the road with the team the past few days and might play against Marathon. Marcelo Gallardo (sports hernia) and Joe Vide (hamstring) remain out.

How do you rate DCU's chances in Honduras? Or at this point, should Tom Soehn play mostly reserves and have his regulars at full strength for Dallas?

By Steve Goff  |  September 22, 2008; 11:42 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Good, the Bad, the Coyote Ugly
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

whoever starts, they all need to be on the same page - none of this two-mind-set stuff that happened in the LA game. and, whoever plays, needs to have that hungry-for-winning attitude, something that has also been missing (or at least, appears so).

Posted by: downtown | September 22, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Tankapalooza

Posted by: Kev | September 22, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Do we have enough healthy players to consider the concept of Starters v. Reserves?

Posted by: B.A. | September 22, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

DAGGER!!!!

Posted by: Steve Buckhantz | September 22, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

So there's actully a snowball's chance that Peralta will play on Wednesday and Saturday? Obviously I don't understand another person's tolerance for pain, but with McTavish out on Wednesday and Burch for Sunday (via two of the most undeserved red cards ever), if Peralta can play, he must. Fred and Luci have made an effort in the last few weeks when they had hamstring problems.

As for the rest of the line-up, the best XI have to start on Sunday - there's no more margin for error in the playoff race. I'll trust the coach to plan a line-up for Wednesday that gives rest to those who need it.

Posted by: BillyBob | September 22, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm absolutely ready to punt the CCL. Tom Soehn should put it in the hands of Dyachenko and Wells and tell them that if they can't play respectably, then they do not deserve to wear a jersey with the word "TRADITION" written on the back of it, and they will not be invited back to the team next year.

Lineup for Wednesday:
-----------------Wells-----------------
Carroll---Janicki---Koroma---Zaher
Kirk-Dyachenko-Thompson-Cordeiro
----------Khumalo---Doe-----------

Lineup for Sunday:
-----------------Crayton-----------------
Namoff-McTavish-Peralta-Martinez
Fred--Simms--Quaranta--Guerrero
----------Moreno---Emilio-----------

Posted by: DCUMD | September 22, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

it is time to put the champions league to bed. while it would be great to win and advance, i would rather have the chance to go to the MLS playoffs. besides, we are not going to win the CCL anyway. we are in it next year, so lets try it then when we are healthy. focus on the league, hopefully we can hang on to make the playoffs, and make a nice run there.

Posted by: steve-o | September 22, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Ew. This is getting ugly.
I would saw get into the playoffs. Even if we managed to fight through the CCL group stage we do not have the horses to do both in the next round.
Tommy should be updating his resume. He is a good assistant coach.

Posted by: jgildea | September 22, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

With the knock-out rounds for the CCL in February, I don't think DCU has any better chance of winning the title than earlier this year or last year. I hate to say it, but I think the team should give up on the CCL, play reserves there and concentrate on making the playoffs. When MLS expands the rosters and CONCACAF spreads out the CCL schedule, then we can focus on winning both.

Posted by: tps | September 22, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

slim to no chance to get out of CCL group.

slim to no chance to get into the playoffs.

sigh.

Posted by: strago | September 22, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Lineup for Wednesday:
-----------------Wells-----------------
Carroll---Janicki---Koroma---Zaher
Kirk-Dyachenko-Thompson-Cordeiro
----------Khumalo---Doe-----------

Lineup for Sunday:
-----------------Crayton-----------------
Namoff-McTavish-Peralta-Martinez
Fred--Simms--Quaranta--Guerrero
----------Moreno---Emilio-----------

Posted by: DCUMD | September 22, 2008 12:22 PM

Not a bad plan (perhaps minus your apparent desire to have Dyachenko and Wells publically executed), but did all of the reserves you mentioned travel to LA, and by extention on to Honduras?

Posted by: BillyBob | September 22, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

On a side note, can we sign a player with a mean streak please?
I am tired of watching our guys mope around or cry after getting hit... hit them back! Dema, Nelsen where are you!?!

Posted by: jgildea | September 22, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Goff, do you think all the injuries this year (or even last season) have been avoidable to any extent? For example, would the team be better off making changes to its training regimen or backroom medical staff?

Posted by: silentbob | September 22, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree with downtown.

Moreno or not, we have strikers and they should do their jobs. Now if their efficient or not then thats on them. We can't rely so much on Moreno, DC needs to open up the attack. Now defedning Marathon will be the biggest challenge. They are extremely fast and DC is pretty limp in reagrds to speed. We have at least three with speed: Fred, Guerrero and now Boyzzz (he is a quiet target and DC should exploit him). Let Marathon concentrate on Emilio and use Boyzzz as your main man.

and I dont deny that DC will not make it past the group stages. I mean with the Gaylaxy match just shows all the flaws.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | September 22, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Getting ugly? The injury situation has been ugly for the back half of the season.

My questions are how bad is Tino? He took a lick'in last week. Can we really expect at least 45 from Peralta?

Need to teach this team to play bunker ball and every once in a while throw it over the top to Boyzzz. If we open up this game I'm not sure we will have a chance missing Gallardo and Jaime.

I am not throwing in the towel one game in.

Posted by: JMR | September 22, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Aunger. We need an Aunger in the midfield to kick some tail. He wasn't concerned with playing beautiful soccer - he just wanted to get the ball to our attacking players.

Set Aunger to 'Stun'

Posted by: Matt Mathai | September 22, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Let Soehn play whoever he wants. Soon enough he won't be filling out line up cards for DCU anymore.

Posted by: | September 22, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Excellent question from my brother JMR: How is Tino? And was there discussion after the match on how in the world there's no free kick, much less a card, for the studs up tackle he suffered from their 'goalie' (or at least, that guy in the long sleeve shirt and gloves)?

Posted by: JkR | September 22, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Amazing to still see comments against Soehn - I dont think the coaching/training regimen has created the injuries.

As for CCL, agree it should be bagged at this point - the team will only be evaluated in the post season based on getting into the MLS playoffs and their performance there.

Posted by: CSH | September 22, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

How bad is Vide hurt. Given the number of games missed, I would suspect a hamstring tear rather than a "simple" pull.

Posted by: griffin1108 | September 22, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Play the reserves in Hondorus and the rest of the ccl matches. We need our first team for MLS games if we have any chance to get to the playoffs.

Sad to say, but this team is going down. Its time to start thinking about next season.

Posted by: kris | September 22, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Go for it.

Aside from injury woes, your D looks like it could use the practice together, and Khumalo just got there.

The next round is in February, you could be healthy by then, and there is another transfer window.

Tankapalooza hasn't worked well for NE (not yet anyway).

Play conservative with near as the first team D as you can muster and try to nick a point or three. Then come back with all you've got at Dallas.

The home games are the must wins, 2 home W's get you to 39 points, and I'd say its about even money whether 40 is enough.

Posted by: Jason | September 22, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Bunkering, like JMR wrote, will not be pretty, but it is the best chance to get a road point. That probably means keeping Martinez in the center (if Peralta doesn't start) no need for his up-field runs on the wing.

Aunger: Play the man, not the ball!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 22, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Gotta respect the CCL even if chances are bleak. Play the best available squad at Marathon. Long term, players benefit from going up against superior teams. Next year you may see the rewards. This year is just a painful learning experience. You can't protect players for the sake of an outside shot at the playoffs.

Posted by: oz4dcu | September 22, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts on Martinez playing in the middle are all over the place.

IMHO, he must not like it, because that experiment ended at the beginning of the year, and hasn't been tried again, despite some obvious opportunities to do so.

Also, I recall he had a hard time staying put, putting a lot of pressure on his central partner. (Blackburn has this same problem, with Samba constantly going walkabout and leaving Nelsen hung out to dry).

He does this on the wing as well, but still has some cover, and he does have good recovery speed.

Still, I can't help wanting a grown up in the middle;someone with speed, experience, strength and toughness, all of which he has.

Posted by: JkR | September 22, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Who Cares!!!

They've already won hardware this year

Posted by: timmy | September 22, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm betting Soehn will play the reserves. With all these injuries he has to triage games. Loosing the CCL he'll forego bragging rights; not making the playoffs on the other hand, he'll probably forego his job.

Vamos United! Vamos Tommy!

Posted by: ML | September 22, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Well - next year, right now, we're still staring:

30 - MLS Games
4 - USOC Games
4 - Playoff Games
6 - Champions League Games

FOR a total of 44 games.

While we're likely to benefit from not having the early Champions Cup issues and that mess that's still too many games and too long a year for our rosters as they're currently constituted.

We need to work to get everything sorted out. And quick.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | September 22, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Can we invite guest players to supplement our reserves for the CONCACAF game? Just send the regulars straight back to DC from LA.

Posted by: Keith | September 22, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

people keep saying there ready to punt the CCL since were in it next year.....GUESS WHAT....Were in MLS next year too. at this point, we have a better chance to make it to the knockout round than we do making it through and even into the playoffs.

if we do make the playoffs, no way in hell do we make it through the 1st round against houston.

so i say go all out for CCL, and lets hope to squezze into the playoffs

Posted by: captain | September 22, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Burch has a mean streak ;)

Park the bus! 0-0!

Posted by: RK | September 22, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I'll give up on Soehn if he gives up in Honduras. I agree with the fellas that think throwing in the towel one game in is a bad idea.
Especially with the fact that Cruz Azul lost at home as well.
I was really hoping Steve was going to have good news about Jaime, but oh well. These young dudes need to fight this game vs Marathon out. Giving up and or taking it easy should not be an option. If it is I wan't out of being a fan of this club. We don't come to bow, we come to conquer.
Dudes(fans and players) need to man up. Cool it with this spineless talk, the players are professionals with jobs to do, and the club needs our support now more than ever. Wether any of the players read this blog or not they should know that a lot of us haven't written them off, and will be watching our televisions Wednesday night on the edge of our seats.
I also agree with exploiting Boyzzz'z under the radar status. A far better option than Doe.

Posted by: dadryan | September 22, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with captain. The CCL puts us against the best teams in the region and everyone thinks we should just throw in the towel. Shouldn't we go down fighting? Field your best 11 against Marathon and play for points. I find it rather humorous and somewhat insulting to think that we should just go down there and lay down and focus our attention on the playoffs. Although I agree that our goal is to make the playoffs, but we are also in the middle of an international tournament. Frankly, Steven Goff should be ashamed of himself for even suggesting to rest players. DCU has to go out there and leave it all on the field. Anything less is just cowardly. No excuses!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with Dadryan we should go out there and try to win every conpetition we r in !!! No need to try to lose a game to try to win the next that is total bullsh!t ....... I will support United till I die no matter what .. but to go out there and basically lose a game unpurpose is crap! This players get paid for a fing reason so they have to step up ang FIGHT FOR OUR COLORS!!!!!!!!! VAMOS UNITED !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: 135 | September 22, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I would actually tank the regular season and focus on the CL because the way all of this is panning out, we will get smoked in the playoffs if we even get there.

Conversely, when the Saprissa game became apparent, that game could have been tanked and saved Emilio and others for the LA game.

Posted by: Darth Hater | September 22, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the mispellings !! I didnt even try to check b4 posting!!

Posted by: 135 | September 22, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

To all who say give up the CCL, I couldn't disagree more. This is what teams need, international exposure. Doing well on the international stage IMHO is more important. All these Wendy Whiners crying about our injuries and tough schedule. SO WHAT! You play the best you can every game. Talk of throwing in the towel after one game? You're no true fan. With Moreno and Gallardo out, we're going to have to suck it up and tough it out. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I was brought up to never quit or give up.
"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time we fall."

Posted by: boda united | September 22, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I love 'Anonymous' screaming about cowardice.

ROFL!

Posted by: JkR | September 22, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan shutup you dont know what you are talking about

Posted by: Bum | September 22, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the mispellings !! I didnt even try to check b4 posting!!

Posted by: 135 | September 22, 2008 2:14 PM

I love this post!

Posted by: oh, texting, what have you done? | September 22, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey whats wrong with the texting ??? LMAO

Posted by: 135 | September 22, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

...I am Anonymous. Just posted before I could type in my name.

Posted by: Ken... | September 22, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

...I am Anonymous. Just posted before I could type in my name.

Posted by: Ken... | September 22, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Bum: I thought you overdosed partying with your buddy Mastodon Juanita months ago... silly little jersey trash, junk tank, trannies... Yuck. Get out of here this is a family friendly Blog.

Posted by: dadryan | September 22, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't have to suffer DC United blunders anymore, since I switch my fan allegiances to the Puerto Rico Islanders. An USL team that can beat any MLS anytime.

Posted by: Ex-DC United Fan | September 22, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

...I am Anonymous. Just posted before I could type in my name.

Posted by: Ken... | September 22, 2008 2:32 PM
=========================================

You have to admit, that's pretty funny.

Thanks for following up, I hate to see this blog look like Bigsoccer.

Although, maybe if Goff had his own online store.....

Posted by: JkR | September 22, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, I don't believe we can win everything and if we try to win both, we will probably win neither. I would love to see a healthy, full squad make the run for the MLS Cup. And I think that means letting the stars sit out the CCL.

Posted by: Steve | September 22, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Well said, Anonymous/Ken!! LOL

Posted by: Silver Spring | September 22, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Ex-DC Fan,

Exactly what are you proving by switching teams? That you weren't much of a fan to begin with??

Off topic- Any word on how sales are going for the US/Cuba game?

Posted by: Crippled Keeper | September 22, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I would start looking at next season, by trying to add more depth to the team, and by negotiating a better schedule with the MLS.

Posted by: ForgetAboutThisYear | September 22, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

If you honestly believe the PR Islanders would be able to compete in a 30+ game MLS Season, you smoke more green than the Harbour View fans.

I watched their match against Tauro, they're hardly a side of convincing quality, and extremely lucky United isn't in their Group. If that were the case, we wouldn't even be talking about possibly failing to advance in the CCL.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 22, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

An USL team that can beat any MLS anytime.

Posted by: Ex-DC United Fan | September 22, 2008 2:35 PM

Have you been in a coma since before the US Open Cup final? Cause that's the only way we'll excuse that silly statement.

Posted by: BillyBob | September 22, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree with everyone. We should throw in the towel on CCL and MLS, as well as next season's CCL, MLS, and USOC. We should concentrate on winning:
1. the reserve division
2. pre-season friendlies and
3. mid-season friendlies with Euro teams in pre-season form.

Posted by: Anonymous (highway name and exit withheld) | September 22, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I'd say give the game in Honduras a fair chance to see if you can pull out a road draw and see what the result of the Saprissa-Cruz Azul game is. If you lose in Honduras, then CCL has to take a backseat. The injuries and the ever changing lineups between all these competitions has led to no consistency. It's showing in the bad mistakes we're making a couple times a game that are costing us. With the schedule and injuries, I don't think we're going to make the playoffs. The only time this team has looked like a possible contender was during the unbeaten run in May and June when they could just focus on MLS and were relatively healthy. At that point, they were capable of grinding out results when necessary, even not playing their best. But right now, they can't grind out the point or steal a victory if the game is evenly played or they're outplayed. Unless that changes they won't make the playoffs, much less go anywhere in them. Which would be a shame, because I think if you look at the talent level top to bottom when everyone is healthy, this is one of the deeper and more talented teams in MLS. But if you can't get the players on the field together regularly, you're going to have a hard time winning enough with the parity that's built into MLS.

Posted by: TH | September 22, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

LOVING IT!!!!!

Posted by: 135 | September 22, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I would throw the towel in the league play and concentrate on CCL. It is a more prestigous tournament and the winner goes to play top teams from around the world. Soccer is an international game, and these tournaments should be respected...

Posted by: EMP | September 22, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Now that we have Ivan working hard and attacking on the wing can't TS just tell Martinez that he is moving back to the middle and his winding runs upfield have to be cut way back? I like his attacking mentality, but right now we need his defensive muscle and speed more.

Posted by: jgildea | September 22, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I agree with everyone, too. Because that's just the way I am.

What are we talking about?

Posted by: Joe Doc (I-66, Exit 15) | September 22, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

My head says punt. But my heart still fully expects DC to win every competition at play.

Posted by: Seth|NYC | September 22, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Punt everything but the post-season miniature golf tournament.

Seriously, try to get healthy for a run at MLS Cup. That is the only thing we have any even faintly realistic hope of winning, and even that is a long, long shot.

Posted by: Ron | September 22, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

so i say go all out for CCL, and lets hope to squezze into the playoffs
Posted by: captain | September 22, 2008 1:41 PM

Ok so I can respect the idea of focusing on the CCL over the MLS regular season, although I don't agree, but I have a big problem with this post.

In no way do we have a better chance of making it to the knockout round of the CCL than we do of making the MLS playoffs. From a lot of these posts, you would guess that DC United was currently in last place in MLS. But no, we're actually currently IN the playoffs if the season ended today.

We have 5 MLS matches remaining (@FCD, Chivas, @Houston, NE, @Columbus) and 5 CCL matches remaining (@Marathon, Cruz, @Saprissa, @Cruz, Marathon). If anyone thinks that we can get more points from these 5 CCL matches than from the 5 MLS matches, you're absolutely crazy.

I see the argument for going all out in both competitions, and I can understand why some might want to favor the CCL over the MLS. But in no way do we have a better chance of advancing in the CCL than of making the playoffs. I'd put our playoff chances at around 50%, and our CCL chances at around 6%.

Posted by: DCUMD | September 22, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Well - next year, right now, we're still staring:

30 - MLS Games
4 - USOC Games
4 - Playoff Games
6 - Champions League Games

FOR a total of 44 games.

We need to work to get everything sorted out. And quick.

__________________________________________

Actually, we are due to play 46 games. While we do qualify for the CCL next year, we will do so only as a play-in qualifier. The automatic spots, I believe, go to the MLS Cup winner and the Supporters Shield winner. The play-in spots (what New England and Chivas were this year) go to the U.S. Open Cup winner and the MLS Cup runner-up.

Posted by: J | September 22, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't see this team punting on anything. Anyone who has had even a casual conversation with Kevin Payne knows the guy hates losing. I'd think that if he even caught a whiff (sp?) of the team or coaching staff considering an early departure from any competition, he'd come down on them hard.

For the most part, MLS is a season of mini-runs. Playing well for 6-8 consecutive games can get a team deep into the playoffs, even the MLS Cup. I'm not holding my breath on this, but if United can hold onto that playoff spot while the injured players get healthy, it has a shot.

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 22, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Send the U15 DC United team and their families. At least they would have a good time!

Posted by: bobf | September 22, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobf | September 22, 2008 4:13 PM
===================

Can't. It's a school night.

Posted by: Washington Area Soccer Union of Parents (Wasup) | September 22, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

so Gallardo's "at least two week" vacation...er...rehab is one week over. I'm assuming no progress (or, at least, DCU ain't talking about it)?

Posted by: downtown | September 22, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The choice of mascot for the WC 2010 is awful, what a mess!

Confed. Cup draw in Nov.
Vamos EEUU

Posted by: Atl | September 22, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

DC United is a team with a tradition of winning. We should act like it an go out and try and win every game we play. No one gains a thing from giving up. Be proper fans and never stop believing in your team. A fan is faithful above all else, and "realism" or "practicality" never have anything to do with it. Show your true black and red.

Posted by: Sean G | September 22, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that thinks that Marcelo Gallardo has been one of the biggest wastes of money in the MLS this year. When he is healthy he plays well. The problem is that he is never healthy. That is what you get when you throw a bunch of money at an aging player. Injuries. What a shame that we wasted out DP on him.

Posted by: Futbol | September 22, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Futbol | September 22, 2008 4:49 PM

================
Someone above correctly pointed out you could say the same thing about Beckham last year.

We have to wait to find out if he's more like Beckham with a solid second season, or more like Reyna, who was done.

Posted by: JkR | September 22, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Futbol | September 22, 2008 4:49 PM
==================

Yes. You are the only one. The subject has not been broached before in any of the user comments on this blog. This is indeed an original thought.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 22, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, I couldn't care less about this tourney. I think we should focus on MLS, where we actually might have a legit chance to win MLS Cup with our full roster.

Posted by: Kevin | September 22, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

tanking games is what lead to this mess, I wonder how many players got hurt becasue they were just stroll by in some of these games or superliga? The point of tanking is so that you perform well for the games you are intended to win. 5-2, if we really want to try play all the games with all the starters and if you lose you lose trying, even if you lose the big ones you know at the end of the year you know you gave it your all. Whats worse than tanking a games, losing the games that you choose to play hard for.

Posted by: dc fan | September 22, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, refuse to accept DCU pulling a New England.
Play the best you can every night, every game, every tournament.
The guys are up for it - they showed it against Saprissa.
It may not be enough but it sure is better than giving up.

Posted by: marksman | September 22, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

as someone pointed out, MLS is about hot streaks. Anyone remember May and June? Since then we have added a winger (Ivan), a speedster (Boyzzz) and a much improved keeper. Imagine that team hitting the playoffs on stride. So give Marathon a shot. If we come out with points, great. If we don't, then reassess. But if we tank CCL now, we won't make the playoffs either, I don't think.

Posted by: Northzax | September 22, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

One day, and one game at a time.

Posted by: dadryan | September 22, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

How has tanking in international tournaments since 1996 helped New England?

Zero MLS Cups
Zero Supporter's Shields

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 22, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

play to wim !!!!!!!!

Posted by: Chris | September 22, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Win opps

Posted by: chris | September 22, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Soehn has already been quoted (probably by Goff) saying that the MLS regular season games and qualifying for the playoffs are a bigger priority than competing in the first ever Concacaf Champions Cup (or whatever it's being called).

I agree with those priorities. Soehn already showed off that strategy against Saprissa last week when he started Wells, Thompson, Cordeiro and Khumalo. So expect Burch (since he's suspended for the next MLS game) and a bunch of reserves in Honduras Wednesday night. Marathon beat Cruz Azul 2-0 last week - we don't have nearly as much depth as C.A. so we should rest our more important players for Dallas on Sunday.

Do the Redskins and DC United get to fly back together?

Posted by: garbaggio | September 22, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Futbol | September 22, 2008 4:49 PM
==================

==================

I love hyperbole.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 22, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Forgot to include:

We played Chivas de Guadalajara pretty even before losing in the Sudamericana elimination rounds last fall & did the same against U Catolica de Chile in the fall of 2005. Both times we wound up losing disappointingly in the MLS playoffs and both times we were criticized by many people for focusing too much on extraneous foreign competitions.

We just don't have the depth to play our strongest lineup in both competitions. Let Koroma and Janicki and others enjoy some international play and hope for the best. Save Moreno, Emilio, Fred, and any other starters needing rest or nursing injuries for the league games.

Posted by: garbaggio | September 22, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't care who plays, but play a 5=4=1. Bunker, kick the ball as far away from Crayton/Wells as you can.

Bore them to death, then strike late . .

Posted by: defense first | September 22, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Fire Soehn !!!!!!!

Posted by: Chris | September 22, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Chance = 0

Posted by: GoUnited | September 22, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I think we will see 45 from our skill players but as we know, the lineup will be makeshift and full of reserves. There is just no other way at this point. Let the young guys have a go at it they need to show some "huevos" after that LA humiliation. Marathon will be strong at home in the heat and high humidity of San Pedro Sula. Emilio likes the heat remember? With our defense such a mess there won't be a clean sheet thats for sure.

Posted by: sbg | September 22, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

They have to play the strongest team available against Marathon. If the club disrepects the tournament by fielding reserves then it cannot expect anyone to waste money on parking, tickets and food for the two remaining CCL games at RFK. They can't quit.

Posted by: oz4dcu | September 22, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Win every game you play or go play for somebody else. Many should be fired. Soehn, kasper, just before Dychenko,Keep Martinez, Crayton, McTavish, Gallardo, Quaranta, Guerro, Pat Carrol, Zaher, emillio, fred, Khumallo, Kirk, Vide, Cordeiro. Moreno and Olsen as assist. coaches, Etechvery head coach. Everyone else up for grabs. This team has been consistantly questionable and inconsistent all year. the only thing worse than the average ply has be the subs by the coach. Drop the axe on everybody that doesn't bring the A game everyday. Until then win every game you play, the fans of United deserve at least that.

Posted by: Dips since 78 | September 23, 2008 2:22 AM | Report abuse

dadryan:

I'm also in with the people that want us to put up a fight on Wednesday. It might seem naive or flat-out crazy, but I don't know any other way to go about being in competition. You enter a competition to win. If winning gets you into another, higher-level competition, you try to win that too.

A lot of the talk I've read recently reminds me of a Simpsons quote:

Lisa: "We are not wieners!"
Homer: "Then why are you dressed like that?"
Lisa: "They made us."
Homer: "'Oh, they made us!' That's loser talk!"

***

Being without Moreno really sucks, but it is not an automatic loss. Soehn needs to be smart and shift Martinez into the middle for this match. Marathon's threat is through their speed, and for all the good Peralta's return will do, it will not make us any faster. Burch is an obvious must-start due to his enforced rest on the weekend, and Simms will go 90 because we don't even have the option of resting him (Vide's hurt, McTavish is suspended). If we're already going to be forced to play these defensive starters, we might as well play some offensive starters and give ourselves the chance to win (rather than incur this additional wear and tear for nothing). Fred and Emilio appeared as close to full fitness as anyone is this time of year, which means their recent injuries provided something of a rest. Khumalo clearly has a lot of energy at the moment, so you put him in. Guerrero ran out of gas and Quaranta took a mauling against LA, so they might have to take a break just to be able to play at all for the rest of the season.

Oddly enough, this might be a game for Dyachenko to actually be of some use to us. Marathon's defenders are not particularly big or strong, and Dyachenko has shown the ability to win headers and a willingness to throw his body around as a forward. If we can play a more direct style (which, without Moreno and Gallardo, is something we should do anyway) and Dyachenko can hold off on his typical Erpen-style tackles, we might be able to get something going there. Come on...it's just crazy enough to work!

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 23, 2008 4:45 AM | Report abuse

re:

Posted by: Dips since 78 | September 23, 2008 2:22 AM

-----------------------------

"Its hard to take seriously someone who calls [himself] 'Dips' "
- Shep Messing, 1977

Posted by: Ron | September 23, 2008 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do.

Posted by: Jake Taylor | September 23, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

What's that?

Posted by: Roger Dorn | September 23, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Win the whole f*cking thing.

Posted by: Jake Taylor | September 23, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

There you have it, DCU! Your inspiration! Yes indeed, right on this very blog, Homer Simpson has been held out to you as a profile in courage! Now get out there, with Homer's example burned into your consciousness, and bleed for the shirt!

Posted by: Ron | September 23, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

This couldn't hurt...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qae_TUTeGo

Posted by: dadryan | September 23, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

"Until then win every game you play, the fans of United deserve at least that."

Posted by: Dips since 78 | September 23, 2008 2:22 AM

****************************

What about a cure for cancer? And World peace?

Heh, I'm a fan, too. It would be great if we won everything but it seems to me we need to pace ourselves and not use up all our best players at this point.

Posted by: garbaggio | September 23, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

My bad, I meant maybe the boys could crank this uphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Posted by: dadryan | September 23, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dadryan | September 23, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Homer's bowling team won that trophy.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 23, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"Its hard to take seriously someone who calls [himself] 'Dips' "
- Shep Messing, 1977

Posted by: Ron | September 23, 2008 6:37 AM

Ron are you really quoting a NY Cosmos player not named Pele, Beckenbauer, or Carlos Alberto? Why don't you move to NY, Rojo Toro could use somemore fans. You probably like the Giants as well.

As for the cure for cancer. The point is not which player you use. The point is that you play to win. Without that mentality, you greatly limit the chances of success. As a player or coach, I am not in for going into any game without the expectation and plan to win. Reagardless of who is injured or not there.
To be honest I have seen neither characteristic in United way too many times this season. Chelsea; may not win every competition, but that does not make Big Phil aim at two instead of four. Then again maybe the islanders should have approached santos laguna ready to lose tonight as it looked on paper. However 3-1 Islanders sounds better.

Posted by: Dips since 78 | September 24, 2008 1:11 AM | Report abuse