Qualifying Continued

After a big weekend of World Cup qualifying, play continues today in South America with Venezuela (2-4-1) visiting Paraguay (4-1-2).

Tomorrow, however, is when things really get going again with matches all over the world, including the United States (2-0) playing its semifinal home opener against Trinidad and Tobago (1-0-1) at Toyota Park in Bridgeview, Ill. (8 p.m., ESPN2, Galavision).

Other matches of interest (home team listed first):

*Guatemala (0-1-1) vs. Cuba (0-2)
*Mexico (2-0) vs. Canada (0-1-1) Telemundo 9 p.m.
*Honduras (1-1) vs. Jamaica (0-1-1)
*Suriname (0-1-1) vs. El Salvador (1-1)
*Haiti (0-1-1) vs. Costa Rica (2-0)
*Uruguay (3-2-2) vs. Ecuador (2-3-2)
*Chile (3-3-1) vs. Colombia (2-1-4)
*Peru (1-3-3) vs. Argentina (3-1-3)
*Brazil (3-1-3) vs. Bolivia (1-5-1)
*North Korea (1-0) vs. South Korea (0-0) in Shanghai, Fox Soccer Channel 8 a.m.
*Uzbekistan (0-1) vs. Australia (0-0) Fox Soccer Channel 8 p.m.
*Portugal (1-0) vs. Denmark (0-0-1) Setanta 4 p.m.
*Finland (0-0) vs. Germany (1-0) Setanta 8:30 p.m.
*Italy (1-0) vs. Georgia (0-1)
*Turkey (1-0) vs. Belgium (1-0) Setanta 2 p.m.
*Croatia (1-0) vs. England (1-0)
*France (0-1) vs. Serbia (1-0) Setanta 6:45 p.m.
*Russia (0-0) vs. Wales (1-0) Fox Soccer Channel 11 a.m.
*Macedonia (1-0) vs. Netherlands (0-0) Fox Soccer Channel 2:30 p.m.
*Slovenia (0-0-1) vs. Slovakia (1-0) Fox Soccer Channel 5 p.m.

Other than the USA-T&T game, what matches interest you the most?

By Steve Goff  |  September 9, 2008; 10:15 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Lineup?
Next: Midday Kickaround

Comments

No TV coverage for Croatia vs. England?

This is madness!

Luckily I use Pennytalk so I can find out the score from my best friend in London.

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 9, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Obviously Croatia vs. England is the tie of the round. Russia vs. Wales should be a barometer of where the Dragons stand as a team. France vs. Serbia could dig the Finalists a hole, but they managed to climb out of one last qualification round. And COMNEBOL has a couple of good matches in Chile vs. Colombia and Uruguay vs. Ecuador.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | September 9, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Be afraid of Honduras, very afraid...but they're a counter attacking team that has had problems at home.

Posted by: Matt | September 9, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Mexico - Canada interests me. I'm curious to see how Canada reacts to its poor start. Losing in Mexico is pretty much a foregone conclusion, though.

Posted by: Matt Mathai | September 9, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Southeasterner - Croatia v England is a Setanta Premium game. $30 at home or $20 at a bar.

Besides the US, I'm interested to see if Ireland can get another valuable away win at (up and coming) Montenegro.

Posted by: Kev | September 9, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Dang ESPN not listing the US Match in HiDef. How can this be in 2008?

I understand (sort of) not having HD for games on Classic, shot and produced in countries that don't have field lights, but to not have it for a prime time game from Chicago on a channel set up to carry a lot of HD is disappointing.

Posted by: JkR | September 9, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Scotland and whoever they play against.

Posted by: elopingcamel | September 9, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Too bad N. Korea-S. Korea is at a neutral site - the Post could have sent Goff to yet another communist country for his world tour.

Too bad the Yankees' John Sterling is not calling this game for FSC so he could say "Pak to Pak to Pak and a belly to belly to belly."

Posted by: AM | September 9, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Chile vs Colombia its the match to watch...both are tie in the fifth place of the qualifiers, with the "cafeteros" ahead because of a slight goal difference. Chile was badly beaten by Brazil playing in Santiago, so they want their honor back. Meanwhile, Colombia has been solid playing as visitors. ill be watching for sure.

Posted by: Loco Bielsa | September 9, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Exciting Chile-Colombia match? Oh that'll be another $20. I wish federations would put their feet down when it comes to pay per view matches in the US.

Posted by: Kev | September 9, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

While I am glad there is tv coverages for some games on fox soccer channel, I am dissapointed that most of the good games are on Setanta which is invisible to most of us unless go to the bar.
Mostly interested in Croatia vs England mainly because Croatian fans will display all fire/smoke magnificent sciene. Too bad no tv. second is France v Serbia, another serbian fan display and Dominic choke and hopefully fired afther this game. Portugal v Denmark and Turkey v Belgium would be more competitive games.
How could two Koreas and Uzb v Aus'lia games be on the same ch same time? or is one today?

Posted by: td | September 9, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

North Korea-South Korea is on live, tomorrow morning at 8am ET (FSC). Replay at 11pm tomorrow night.

Posted by: Kev | September 9, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link to the North vs South Korea story Steve.
Looks to be a heated match, maybe..
Most interesting is the account of North Korea having to leave the field after scoring a second goal vs UAE... I guess poor sport fans are a world wide problem after all.

Posted by: dadryan | September 9, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

how do you say 'superclassico' in korean? seriously, that game could be pretty crazy. i saw north korea's highlights on gol's 2010 report. they sent this creepy bloc of uniformed fans as away support. i know south korea has some crazy fans, so shanghi will probably be the place to be this week.

Posted by: stairs | September 9, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Where do i have to go to catch the Honduras vs. Jamaica game? Any ideas?

Posted by: Joe | September 9, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

None of those games really interest me. Unless it is the USA playing, a MLS game (league or Open Cup), or a World Cup game, I don't really care to watch soccer. Then again I don't have the hispanic channels, FSC, or any of those other fancy specialized channels. Thankfully college football is here to help fill the void between USA games.

Posted by: Kevin | September 9, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I still can't believe Chiapas has a stadium, a good team, and is hosting a WCQ...big change from years ago...

Posted by: RK | September 9, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

My bad on the Korea-Korea TV time. It is live at 8 a.m. tomorrow morning (not 8 p.m.)

Apologies

Posted by: Goff | September 9, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

For those of you who just happen to be in the neighborhood near Fort Benning, GA, you are welcome to watch Setanta at my house--just tell the MP you need to speak to the Chaplain!!

Posted by: dcarmy | September 9, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

If you want to see plenty of goals watch the bolivia v. brazil game !!

Posted by: just me | September 9, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Spain plays Armenia, but I don't think it's on TV. Hopefully the Spaniards will be a bit more fluid than against Bosnia.

Posted by: Campeones | September 9, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

speaking of Canada - I'd like Goff's and others reactions to having TFC scramble to find players to field a game. As the quality of the players MLS attracts rises, they cannot simply stick their heads in the ground with regard to these international dates most everyone else plays around.

Here's the TFC stuff:

Posted by: downtown | September 9, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

GolTV has Italy and Spain tomorrow
Wednesday, 10
2:45 pm -
UEFAWCQ - Italy vs. Georgia

4:50 pm -
UEFAWCQ - Spain vs. Armenia

Why is Surinam in CONCACAF and not Conmebol?

Posted by: Glenn | September 9, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I hope MLS gets it's act together in regard to ignoring Intl.Fixture dates. I also hope MLS teams don't have to waste their time with SuperLiga next year. That tournament has got to go.
Cool story for Titus, too bad TFC still had their butts handed to them by CUSA...

Posted by: dadryan | September 9, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Why is Surinam in CONCACAF and not Conmebol?

Posted by: Glenn | September 9, 2008 12:48 PM

So they'll have a chance!!

Seriously though, FIFA rules are not hard and fast when it comes to confederations. Hence, Isreal playing in UEFA, Australia successfully lobbying for Asia, etc. There are groupings made for practicality sake and I'm sure CONMEBOL doesn't want a minnow thrown in to their already long, unique qualification system.

Posted by: Kev | September 9, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Glenn,

Surinam, like Guyana, is politically, economically, ethnically, and culturally closer to the Caribbean nations than to the South American nations. It's the legacy of their creation as colonies of England and Holland, rather than Spain or Portugal.

Also, when Conmebol was formed early in the 20th century, Surinam and Guyana were not yet independent nations and had no standing to join.

Posted by: Identity Politics | September 9, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The Toronto Sun reported a few days ago that the league is considering serious changes to their scheduling for next season in light of the impact of FIFA World Cup qualifying on MLS games:

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 9, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

So no tv coverage of the Scotland v. Iceland game?

Posted by: Susan | September 9, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

While I am glad there is tv coverages for some games on fox soccer channel,...
---------------------------------------

FSC's menu is laughable. They get the games nobody wants to watch, not even Borat. Uzbeks? How desperate for soccer do you have to be?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

FSC
DPR Korea v Korea Republic Live
Russia v Wales Live
FYR Macedonia v Holland Live
Slovenia v Slovakia Delayed
Uzbekistan v Australia Delayed

That's actually not bad, considering they're priced out of the market for many UEFA and CONMEBOL matches. At least they're not showing infomercials all day.

Posted by: Kev | September 9, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"None of those games really interest me. Unless it is the USA playing, a MLS game (league or Open Cup), or a World Cup game, I don't really care to watch soccer."
Posted by: Kevin | September 9, 2008 11:30 AM

------
Actually, Kevin, these ARE World Cup games. The tournament in South Africa in 2010 is the "finals" of the World Cup.

Posted by: Amanda | September 9, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Two big games in Africa, too:

Chad vs. Sudan in Cairo
Togo at Zambia

Posted by: Todd | September 9, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm liking the
Croatia-England
Peru-Argentina
Colombia-Chile
matches, anyone know if Luckys will be showing qualifiers? (haven't been there in a while)

Posted by: Thora | September 9, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

To each their own I suppose. I kind of enjoy watching these Asian qualifiers with little teams no one knows much about. I think the Uzbeks did pretty well in the last qualifying round before this one. And I like to see Australia once in a while. And the smaller Euro teams you never see.

That's why they invented 300 channels. If you don't want to watch what FSC has to offer then don't. Be happy they are willing to splash out the cash for the EPL and FA Cup. I would happily pay more than the $5 a month I spend to get FSC and Gol. I think we can pretty much all remember the days when you were lucky if you could watch 1 college game a week somewhere. Now we get WCQ's from all corners of the globe. Plus all those MLS games, Euro leagues, SA leagues, etc. That's some real progress.

Posted by: Glenn | September 9, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Of the games on TV other than USA, the Koreas look interesting. I plan to kiss my wife good-by and instead of going to work I'll watch the Korea match. From what I hear, don't expect Kill Ill Jung to appear as he 'appears ti be Ill'.

Posted by: Harpo | September 9, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Thora: Lucky bar is still a pretty dedicated soccer bar. I would imagine they'll have plenty of it on their tvs.

Posted by: dadryan | September 9, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse