The Galaxy: Far, Far Away?

Los Angeles has not won in nearly 100 days, a stretch that has included six losses, six ties, 28 goals conceded, a coaching change and the departure of its general manager. But in the lowly Western Conference, where five points separates second place from seventh place, the Galaxy miraculously still finds itself in the playoff hunt. Barely. Though the club is only four points out of a postseason berth, it will need to leap over four clubs to get there.

The schedule is not favorable either with road matches against Chicago, Columbus and Houston. At home, the Galaxy will face D.C. United this Saturday night and Colorado and Dallas later on the calendar.

So I ask you.....

By Steve Goff  |  September 18, 2008; 3:02 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Few Minutes With Tom Soehn
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

They won't make the playoffs, but they'll beat (or draw) DC United this weekend... we've seen this game before.

Posted by: TCompton | September 18, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Attention Galaxy Conspiracy Theorists: commence posting in 3 - 2 - 1 ...

Posted by: Matte | September 18, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

They won't make the playoffs, but MLS will make a new rule in which the Galaxy automatically qualify each year.

Posted by: Landycakes | September 18, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Attention Galaxy Conspiracy Theorists: commence posting in 3 - 2 - 1 ...

Posted by: Matte | September 18, 2008 3:26 PM

That was you at 3:30, wasn't it? ;-)

Posted by: Kev | September 18, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I think they'll get in. I also think DC has a really tough opponent this weekend - both teams will come out fighting.

With LA's schedule, I think they'll lose at Chicago, but win at Columbus and Houston (who will be trying to rest players for the playoffs - well, at least Columbus will).

As for their home games, I'll go with a draw against D.C. United this Saturday, a win against a mini-surging (but still hapless) Colorado and a losss against a Dallas team that is starting to come around to their coach's style.
just my .02 - which is worth less than that.

Posted by: downtown | September 18, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't see them getting any points in their remaining road games, and realistically, one of DC, Colorado, and Dallas will win or draw at the HDC. That leaves LA with, at best, 33 points. To get in with 33 points, they'd need DC to lose all of its remaining games, no one else to take over that wild card spot, Chivas and Colorado to only pick up 3 points or less the rest of the way, a red-hot San Jose to only take 4 points from its remaining games, and Dallas to take 6 or fewer.

In other words, they're not getting in unless they get road points against 3 of the best teams in the league (though at this point, Chicago is not nearly the proposition they were at the beginning of the year thanks to Thorrington being their only in-form midfielder). LA's road record is 2-6-4, and they've conceded 28 goals in those 12 games.

Yeah, they're not getting in. Good riddance.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 18, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

don't doubt The Bruce and his SPOOKY POWERS! Becks & Landi unite to form not the galaxy, but the black hole from which no other MLS team can escape.
Becks & Landi: Form of - a respectable team.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

The Galaxy will get better when they acquire more than 4 decent players.

Posted by: Kev | September 18, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I know this is off subject but looks like no Ali Kreiger for the 2009 Washington Freedom:

she signed on for another year with FFC Frankfurt

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

More off-topic, but good to see...

Goal - Rennes 2 (Carlos Bocanegra 49) FC Twente 1

Posted by: Kev | September 18, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I doubt they will qualify. They are so bad it is painful, but I think the league will try everything to make that happen. Last year, the reffing and offsides calls were so lopsided that it was absurd.

I can see that happening again. They are just not a good team.

Posted by: Shannon DCU Fan in LA | September 18, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

The Galaxy has an astronomical challenge ahead of them. The stars aren't aligned, and the black hole in which they found themselves in early on makes the gravity of their situation worse. Indeed, they'd have to fly up the standings like a mete-

OK, I can't do this anymore...

Posted by: Joe Doc | September 18, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Stick a form in 'em.....

Posted by: marksman | September 18, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Bummer about Krieger for DC fans. Wonder what that means for the Freedom allocation. Is it gone, or can Freedom go back to the pool? Freedom picked 2 players who are on crutches and a 3d who was under contract elsewhere, now extended. One could quibble . . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | September 18, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Can't blame her...

Posted by: RK | September 18, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Can't blame her, wouldn't blame her, even if I knew any facts, which I don't . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | September 18, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

christ i hope we don't make the play-offs. we don't deserve it and knowing our luck we'll go on to win the whole damn thing making mls look like the rinky-dink league it is. then our illustrious owner will point to arena and his appointment of arena as a stroke of genius (like he did with sampson) none of our flaws will be addressed in the offseason and we'll continue to suck for the remainder of this decade.

Posted by: dashiel | September 18, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I say trade the allocation stop for first pick in the draft in Jan/Feb and get Amy Rodriguez. A-rod would provide some great speed especially if Abby is a little rusty coming back from her broken leg

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Who cares?

Posted by: MN Kicker | September 18, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

re: Who cares?
--------------
Apparently Anonymous, OWNTF, RK and me.

But there's always got to be one of you, doesn't there?

Posted by: seahawkdad | September 18, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Freedom picked 2 players who are on crutches...

Posted by: OWNTF | September 18, 2008 4:34 PM
=========

Par for the course in this city.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 18, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Who cares?

Posted by: MN Kicker
=============================

Apparently, at least as many people as care whether the Galaxy make the playoffs.

I guess it's hard to argue with signing Wambach, but the Krieger thing reminds me of Andrew Jacobson. You'd think that Freedom would have had some idea what she was thinking . . . unless they were forbidden to talk to her because of the existing Frankfurt contract???

Posted by: OWNTF | September 18, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I just hope Crayton is good to go vs the Gals this weekend...the alternative is frightening.

Posted by: dadryan | September 18, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Kreiger saw this as a bird-in-the-hand situation. In Frankfurt she knows that she has more than two teammates and doesn't have to learn a new system or figure out if she's compatible with a new coach. She knows the league. She'll be playing consistently, but not in 90 deg/90% humidity, She probably has better health care and there are fewer crazy people with guns. And she'll be paid in Euros that she can put into a European bank (I know, I know, the DAX is down too).

I don't know how much she's making or what the quality of the Bundesfrauenliga (?) is, but if I were offered a chance to work in Germany when I was 24, I would have packed my Langenscheidts.

Herzlichen Gluckwu"nschen (heart-felt best wishes) Ali.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | September 18, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Why is it frightening? I'd rather have Crayton obviously, but Wells was pretty good the other day.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:29 PM

Some people just have this hatred for Wells. He is no where near as bad as some people make him out to be. He wasn't responsible for any of the goals Tuesday.

Posted by: United fury | September 18, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

What I and others near me saw was the same old Wells: he still reacts slowly, he still hesitates on his line only to then half-heartedly come for the ball too late. He still inspires little confidence in his defenders.

Wells made one big save, a couple other solid ones that any respectable keeper makes, and could do little about the 2 goals. That does not constitute good. In fact, that's pretty much what he was giving us before Crayton was signed. On their corners and set pieces, we got either a good defensive stand to head the ball clear or caught a break when they finished poorly.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 18, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

As a P.S., I should note that I'm not one of the blind haters United Fury mentioned. I actually defended Wells from some of the ridiculous things that were blamed on him earlier this season.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | September 18, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I have nothing against Wells. I wish him the best but he just doesn't have the quaility. Always shaky and hesitant that's the main reason cause all the problems. Speaking of sucks, NY goal keeper is pretty suck too. Really bad positiong cost them a goal that's easily should have saved if he was on position.

Posted by: td | September 18, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

The only positive about the RSL new stadium is the SSS. Besides that, that is not the style of stadium DCU should built, if there is ever one to be built. I really liked the one that designed for PP with roof or surroundings. Not open to the both ends that leads the wind and distrub the ball. So far Red Bulls Arena is the best design. DC should really come up with a perfect stadium. Roof surrounded please.

Posted by: td | September 18, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

JP and Harks are very boring to listen to. They talk like stayed out in the heat and talks like a couple of young kids. That is not you wnant on espn.

Posted by: td | September 18, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

A bit OT, but whatever happened to Applebaum? She hasn't been heard from since the Olympics.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 18, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

td makes good points about stadium design

also, I think VW had the official opening of its Herndon HQ today

Posted by: FC | September 18, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Big 10-4 on the VW opening in VA today. Wonderin' about Lindsey as well.
I think I was a little harsh, on Zach earlier... I had just been trying shift back to the DCU game instead of infighting men's vs women's soccer.
I had to run out the door for a while just after Angel buried that free kick... I actually rolled out thinking that New York was going to win the match. Pretty happy Columbus proved me wrong. New York needs no more points.
@RSL Stadium: I've heard the Air Pollution in Salt Lake City is gnarly, I may be wrong but I don't think they get a whole heck of a lot of rain or heavy whipping wind. I hear the Smog just gets stuck there and unless it rains, it gets pretty nasty. What do I know?

Posted by: dadryan | September 18, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan, While I always enjoy your contributions here, I have had to delete two of your recent comments for inappropriate language. Please try to make your points in a more mature manner. Thanks, SG

Posted by: Goff | September 18, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

CRAYTON MUST START!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I care way more about the DC Freedom then if the Galaxy make the play-offs and I have Galaxy season tickets.

Posted by: Shannon DCU Fan in LA | September 18, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

LA will fail to reach the playoffs, and the WPS will only last 2-5 years.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 18, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Ouch, I feel like I just got spanked by my dad...My apologies Steve.
I can only hope you may have noticed me self checking myself on my earlier comments in the one I left @ 10:54... I had seen the error in my ways.
Too bad we don't have a trash button to push so we can delete our own comments...

Posted by: dadryan | September 19, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

@td

On a scale from one to ten how drunk are you? Have you lost all grasp of english grammar? That's pretty wasted!

Posted by: question man | September 19, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

The Galaxy's problems go deeper than whether it makes the playoffs this year (which it won't, not by a long shot). Lalas and Leiweke so screwed up that franchise with the way they mishandled the salary cap (they're still paying for Xavier) that the club might not be competitive for two or three years. As much as I admire Beckham, he's either starting to show his age or he's stopped caring about this season. Neither Donovan nor Buddle can score w/o decent service, and only Beckham has been able to provide that (Lewis might but he's only played one game). The defense and central midfield are a mess. Arena will have to scout like crazy and know how to handle a salary cap to straighten out this club. If he can do it, it would be his biggest accomplishment, even bigger than taking the 2002 WC team to the quarterfinals.

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | September 19, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

LA will fail to reach the playoffs, and the WPS will only last 2-5 years.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 18, 2008 11:58 PM
........................................

Superliga may not last for another two years, for all we know, but so what? Many of us intend to enjoy WPS while it lasts, whether it is two years or 200.

Posted by: The Jeff | September 19, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I hope the Superliga is over.

It was a sham from the get-go.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 19, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

The team has no heart. It went with Doug Hamilton's. Sad days to be a Galaxy fan.

Posted by: Anthony | September 19, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse